Off to St. Louis with me....

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

triggercut

Off to St. Louis with me....

Post by triggercut »

Scored tickets to games 3 and 4 of the WS, and game 5 in the off-chance that it's necessary. Can't wait to have some Lion's Choice, eat some Imo's Pizza, and have some toasted rav. Even if the Redbirds are swept, I'll still see some history, and still get to hang with good friends in my favorite city on the planet, warts and all.

Blueberry Hill beckons. South Grand beckons.

I'll try to post some impressions from the games in this thread from my hotel room...later.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I hate you.
Sunderer

Post by Sunderer »

Trigger - can I be your bitch for a few days?
"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."
Mithridates

Post by Mithridates »

Kelric can hate you, as for me: I really hate you. Oh, its not enough for you to get tickets to one WS game, how about three???

I was fortunate enough to get to go to an ALCS and World Series game when the Tigers won in 1984, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much, though.
Boudreaux

Re: Off to St. Louis with me....

Post by Boudreaux »

triggercut wrote:Can't wait to have some Lion's Choice, eat some Imo's Pizza, and have some toasted rav.
Blech. For such an interesting town St. Louis has some of the worst regional food. I'll give you the toasted ravioli, but Imo's? St. Louis style "pizza" (if you can call it that) is wretched and completely inedible. How such a culinary crime exists only a few short hours from the fantastic pies of Chi-town is beyond me. Lion's Choice isn't much better. I'll grant you that it's at least recognizable as roast beef, if you call that slurry of salt and meat puree "beef".

Thank god for the Hill.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Boudreaux wrote:
triggercut wrote:Can't wait to have some Lion's Choice, eat some Imo's Pizza, and have some toasted rav.
Blech. For such an interesting town St. Louis has some of the worst regional food. I'll give you the toasted ravioli, but Imo's? St. Louis style "pizza" (if you can call it that) is wretched and completely inedible. How such a culinary crime exists only a few short hours from the fantastic pies of Chi-town is beyond me. Lion's Choice isn't much better. I'll grant you that it's at least recognizable as roast beef, if you call that slurry of salt and meat puree "beef".

Thank god for the Hill.
Bah. Clearly not a native. ;)

Lion's Choice is so damn good it oughta be criminal. And while I love Chicago-style deep dish 'za, I do sorely miss a regular fix of ultra-thin-pastry crust St. Louis-style.

Catnap time. Hotel is actually quite lovely, and has broadband in the rooms!
Mookee

Post by Mookee »

triggercut wrote:Scored tickets to games 3 and 4 of the WS, and game 5 in the off-chance that it's necessary.
Not very confident in your boys, huh? :)
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

triggercut wrote:Bah. Clearly not a native. ;)

Lion's Choice is so damn good it oughta be criminal. And while I love Chicago-style deep dish 'za, I do sorely miss a regular fix of ultra-thin-pastry crust St. Louis-style.
No, not a native. Which apparently means I have the perspective and worldview to recognize St. Louis-style pizza for what it is. :wink:

If anyone else is coming to St. Louis for the WS, don't listen to Trig. St. Louis-style pizza is to actual pizza as a McDonald's breakfast burrito is to Mexican cuisine. The cracker-thin crust and soggy toppings are overshadowed by the provel cheese, a pale, sticky goo that is not so much cheese as it is a rancid mixture of sour milk and mucilage. It's better suited for industrial spackling than consumption.
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

Provel cheese is reason #1 to hit up Imo's. If you can't stand the pizza at least get a salad to savor the cheese.
Guy Incognito

Post by Guy Incognito »

Boudreaux wrote:
triggercut wrote:Bah. Clearly not a native. ;)

No, not a native. Which apparently means I have the perspective and worldview to recognize St. Louis-style pizza for what it is. :wink:

If anyone else is coming to St. Louis for the WS, don't listen to Trig. St. Louis-style pizza is to actual pizza as a McDonald's breakfast burrito is to Mexican cuisine. The cracker-thin crust and soggy toppings are overshadowed by the provel cheese, a pale, sticky goo that is not so much cheese as it is a rancid mixture of sour milk and mucilage. It's better suited for industrial spackling than consumption.
Get this man to the hospital, STAT! Something is obviously wrong with him if he has no ability to enjoy good cheese!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Guy Incognito wrote:Get this man to the hospital, STAT! Something is obviously wrong with him if he has no ability to enjoy good cheese!
I had Imo's when I lived in Columbia, and the impression it left with me wasn't one of cheese - more like cardboard.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Wow Triggercut! I know you will enjoy this.

Have a great trip and go Cards!
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Provel = Image
WheelMan

Post by WheelMan »

St. Louis has to be one of the best date town in the country, especially for the limited funds college-student (no longer the case thankfully). I used to take my girlfriend to Shakespeare in the park, the free muny seats, the zoo, the museums... All free of charge. Spend a little on the Hill, Imo's or Fitz's plus some Ted Drew's and you have some serious low dollar day of fun.

Not to mention the excellent Vintage Vinyl. Columbia has Streetside+Slackers but it's not quite the same.
Devil

Post by Devil »

Nice work, trig!

Looks like you might catch a bit of history if you're lucky!

I'm not going to say anything to jinx it!!
knob

Post by knob »

triggercut wrote:Scored tickets to games 3 and 4 of the WS, and game 5 in the off-chance that it's necessary. Can't wait to have some Lion's Choice, eat some Imo's Pizza, and have some toasted rav. Even if the Redbirds are swept, I'll still see some history, and still get to hang with good friends in my favorite city on the planet, warts and all.

I'll try to post some impressions from the games in this thread from my hotel room...later.

Sorry, it sucks here.

Or atleast it does where I live, which is actually a small 900 person town 45 minutes outside of St. Louis.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

I never met a pizza I didn't like.

Hope you had fun tonight despite the outcome, CH.
WheelMan

Post by WheelMan »

Valael wrote:
triggercut wrote:Scored tickets to games 3 and 4 of the WS, and game 5 in the off-chance that it's necessary. Can't wait to have some Lion's Choice, eat some Imo's Pizza, and have some toasted rav. Even if the Redbirds are swept, I'll still see some history, and still get to hang with good friends in my favorite city on the planet, warts and all.

Sorry, it sucks here.

Or atleast it does where I live, which is actually a small 900 person town 45 minutes outside of St. Louis.
You must have the wrong girlfriend :)
knob

Post by knob »

I wish I did. That would imply I had one.

All I have is good old Rosy Palm to keep me happy.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

So, trig, how'd it go? ;)
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Despite the constant drizzle and ball game outcome, still good times here in Nellytown. Old friends, cold beer, pizza, T-rav...yummers!

Tonight I'll probably witness history, which would be cool, and we'll make it like an Irish Wake for the Redbirds afterwards. I still keep a small candle burning that someone will wake up Scott Rolen and Jimmy Hollywood, but that appears less and less likely.

Oh well.

If the Sox win, I'll be happy for my buddies like Perl who've lived and died with the team for so many years. Grats also to folks here like Devil and Koz and Sparkle. Your boys are one helluva team.

Now someone get me a hangover cure...:D
knob

Post by knob »

I fucking hope the Cardinals win. I really, really fucking hope.

Not because I give a shit about the actual Cardinals, but because I work in a place full of hardcore Cards fans and I don't want to hear their shit all night long about how they're getting stomped. 4 - 0 !
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Valael wrote:Not because I give a shit about the actual Cardinals, but because I work in a place full of hardcore Cards fans and I don't want to hear their shit all night long about how they're getting stomped. 4 - 0 !
Don't you mean:

I hope the Cards get stomped 4-0, so I can rub all my coworkers noses in it!

EDIT: To add :D

I think the Cards have a great team, but you guys really need some pitching. Nobody on that staff frightens me in the least.
knob

Post by knob »

No, because I'll get beat in the parking lot if I rub it in their face. And it also might cause a few health problems -- I work in a nursing home. I don't think they'd appreciate me cheering on the Sox in such a place.

Honestly, I'm not a sports person. But ever since I started working there, I've been forced to pay attention because they're all so hardcore Cards.
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

think the Cards have a great team, but you guys really need some pitching.
Some pitching who know how to run the bases, preferably. I swear, after that performance, I don't know how Jeff Suppan ever crosses the street without getting run over.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Fearing bodily injury is certainly fair. And killing senior citizens seems like bad karma.

I went out to watch the game last night with a friend who is a die-hard Yankees fan... he desperately wanted to cheer the Cards, as he hates the Red Sox with all his black, black heart, however we were at a bar... people were drinking heavily. Admitting he was a Yankee fan would basically open him up to an unending stream of torment, and possible bodily harm from the Sox faithful. Solution? Put on a midwestern sports teams hat, and pretend to be a Cards fan. Problem? He only had a Notre Dame hat... which just lost to BC this past weekend. So, as the Sox jumped to an early lead, and the Cards executed some of the absolute worst baserunning blunders of all time... he got ragged on for being both a Cards fan and a Notre Dame fan... of which, he is neither.

Serves him right for being a Yankee fan though. :D
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

My buddy Perl is old school boston. Accent thick as clam chowdah, hardcore Pats and Sox rooter since I first knew him (by way of explanation: he has Sam "Bam" Cunningham and Tony Eason memorabilia).

Like any old town Bostonian of Jewish ancestry, he's also far more left politically than even my own bleeding heart libruhlness.

So, in an email discussing Game 3 this morning, I pointed out how happy I'd be for the guy, but also noted the bastard's winning streak this past year:

"Seriously, Perly. What the hell kind of karmic backlog did you have
(or are you building?) Pats, Sox, nailing the Derby....that's not an
embarrassment of riches, it's an atrocity! If Kerry wins, I want to
know what other stuff you root for, so I can get you to scootch over and
give me room on the bandwagon..."

The response from another buddy:

If current trends continue for Perl, Moses should be returning to Earth
to deliver the Promised Land to the Jews by about mid-November.
Rubyeye

Post by Rubyeye »

Lion's Choice is the best fast food! The roast beef sandwiches are good but the fries are incredible. My best friend owns 4 Imo's so I get plenty of that. (EDIT/ I just talked to him about all of the Imo's haters here and he says you probably had the pizzas where he dipped his balls in the sauce to make it saltier.) The key with Imo's is, get it loaded (the pizza.) All of the toppings are fresh. I live a couple blocks SW of the Hill and my gut is showing it. Canetto's has the best pasta around.

Be sure to go to PATEO'S just south of the stadium if the cards win. Lots of people and boobs will be there.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Rubyeye wrote:I live a couple blocks SW of the hill and my gut is showing it. Canetto's has the best pasta around.
Cunetto's has fantastic food (the cavatelli con pomodoro is sublime) but I hate the unavoidable 60-minute wait in the smoky bar anytime you go. Our new favorite is Leonardo's Little Italy, it's a bit south of Cunetto's. Small place, great food and much better service than Cunetto's. Their tiramisu is incredible.
Boudreaux

Post by Boudreaux »

Rubyeye wrote:(EDIT/ I just talked to him about all of the Imo's haters here and he says you probably had the pizzas where he dipped his balls in the sauce to make it saltier.)
I've tried Imo's exactly once, and never again. Perhaps too little to formulate a properly informed opinion, but once was enough. Scrotum sweat would have been an improvement.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Rubyeye wrote:Lion's Choice is the best fast food! The roast beef sandwiches are good but the fries are incredible. My best friend owns 4 Imo's so I get plenty of that. (EDIT/ I just talked to him about all of the Imo's haters here and he says you probably had the pizzas where he dipped his balls in the sauce to make it saltier.) The key with Imo's is, get it loaded (the pizza.) All of the toppings are fresh. I live a couple blocks SW of the Hill and my gut is showing it. Canetto's has the best pasta around.

Be sure to go to PATEO'S just south of the stadium if the cards win. Lots of people and boobs will be there.
I've been sorely tempted to take advantage of Imo's shipping of pizza's anywhere. Now that I've had a return taste of this Pizza Heroin for My Soul, I'm really thinking about doing it.

Rubyeye, your buddy have any word on how the pies come out if they're shipped and cooked off in a commercial oven? I mean, I can fire up one of the big huge cannibal-sized ovens at work for an Imo's...if it'll taste relatively the same as one in The Lou.