Stephen King's It [remake]

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Paingod

Re: Stephen King's It [remake]

Post by Paingod »

JCC wrote:Curry's It was a bright spot in the thoroughly mediocre ABC adaptation, but I hardly think it made the role untouchable. This trailer looks far better. I hope they aren't afraid to deviate from King's goofy deadlights shit...
Curry doesn't even need clown makeup or CGI to be creey as hell, but slap that stuff on and he's out of the park. He brought such a gleeful malice to the role that gave it a lot of weight. I only hope this new Pennywise isn't just jump scares and CGI trickery. I want some real out-of-the-park gruesome delight in being heinous, which is what that clown is supposed to be about. If they do it, I'll be fine with it.

The deadlights (in the book) were
Spoiler:
essential to the creature's "storage" strategy, like a hypnotic venom. It would either devour its victims on the spot, or hypnotize them and bring them home to string them up and save them for later. I never really had an issue with it since it was an otherworldly creature with an assortment of mental and shapeshifting abilities
Last edited by Paingod on Mon May 08, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

A second trailer, more of a couple clips. I'm starting to get sold on the concept. It looks like the kids are going to hold up well in this, and the focus on the clown is looking less "constant jump scare" and more "creepy-ass-leering-evil-jump-scare".
Black Lives Matter

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Another trailer
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Saw it Friday and I really enjoyed it. The director really knows how to mix up some nightmare juice. I'm a horror fan so I'm pretty desensitized at this point, but I could appreciate the skill he showed in crafting some truly frightening scenes. A scene in a library pretty early on was very, very well done.

The only weakness was due to King's usual two dimensional characterizations of kids and adults. But the kid actors elevated the source material all the same. They were all outstanding.

This is an R film through and through. Anyone planning on taking a kid, be warned.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We saw it yesterday in IMAX and holy shit. Went way above my expectations.

PROS:

- The kid actors were stellar. Beverly and Ben are really the heart and soul of the movie, and both of them were phenomenal. The other kids were great as well.

- Bill Skaarsgard's portrayal of Pennywise = a new horror icon being born before our eyes. I adore Tim Curry, but his performance seems like a quaint kid-friendly portrayal by comparison.

- This movie featured some of the most intense scare sequences I've seen in an extremely long time. Unrelenting. I watch a lot of horror so usually the scares don't impact me all that much since I can see them coming a mile away. But even when the scares here were telegraphed (and not all of them are), they still rattled me.

CONS:

- Due to the size of the cast, it was inevitable that someone would get the short end of character development. In this case that was Stan and Mike. Mike's weak role was particularly irritating because in the book he takes the historian role assumed by Ben in the movie version. I can understand film-wise why the decision was made - they needed the Derry history stuff established before Mike is introduced into the story - but it leaves him as the most underdeveloped of the Losers' Club.

- There is extensive use of CGI, and it's the biggest gripe I saw from people who didn't like the film. I personally thought it was well done and I was so engrossed in the story that even the effects that were slightly off didn't bother me at all. But YMMV.

- This movie ruined the mini-series. I'm not sure I can ever go back to the original after this.

Personally I thought it was one of the best horror films I've seen in a decade, and certainly one of the best King adaptations. It's not flawless, but as horror movies go it's really close.

Also - some idiot behind us brought his two daughters who didn't look to be more than 6 or 7 years old. At one point I saw a manager pull him out and talk to him outside, presumably to ask him why the hell he was letting his kids see something like that. They wound up staying for the whole movie, though during one particularly scary sequence one of the girls got up and ran out. I don't understand people sometimes. Even as horror movies go, this one is very intense. Even if you let your elementary school kids watch horror films, I'd argue that you should think twice before showing them this one.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There were a bunch of high school kids in the theater when I saw this Friday, but they were all 16 or older. Still, even they went from giggling and laughing to quietly scared after the first 15 minutes of the damn film. I can only imagine what it would be like for kids under 10. I really hope those kids have a mother who's going to put her foot up their father's ass for doing something that stupid.

I completely agree with you on Mike. The character had a promising intro...then just fell to the wayside and barely said two words after that.

The CGI was noticeable, but I didn't think it was overdone. In the scene with the slide projector, it was downright amazing. I expected something like that to happen during that scene, but good lord they took it to 11 and made a tired mechanic that the Ring introduced years ago into something truly scary again.

By the way, another scene that I thought was just a masterclass in how to create suspense was
Spoiler:
In the library scene I mentioned before, while Ben is looking over the photos in the book and the suspense music is building, the librarian he'd just spoken to seconds earlier can be seen out of focus in the background looming in a menacing pose while all this happening. But it's not the center of the shot so it's just background noise that lends a dramatic escalation to the scene. Absolutely brilliant shot, I thought.
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
DD*

Post by DD* »

Kid #1 (15 y.o. girl) and some of her friends saw it last Friday. Scared the piss out of them, so mission accomplished. Side note: they were able to get into the R rated "IT" on Friday, but were refused entry to Clarabell(?) another R rated horror flick the next day. Was funny listening to them bemoan how unfair it all was...
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
naednek

Post by naednek »

Just got back after hearing rave reviews..... WTF were they smoking? Another bad Stephen King movie. The movie was all over the place, uninteresting in terms of plot and villian, but I do say the casting of the kids were great and I would gladly watch them in a normal movie, but the horror\suspense\scary aspect was seriously lacking. I wanted the movie to be done about an hour into it, and it kept dragging on.

I should have kept to my rule of, wait for video with anything related to SK's work. He has a few that were actually good, but most of the time, it's a bombfest. Either they keep finding bad directors, or his stories do not adapt well for screen.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

naednek wrote:Just got back after hearing rave reviews..... WTF were they smoking? Another bad Stephen King movie. The movie was all over the place, uninteresting in terms of plot and villian, but I do say the casting of the kids were great and I would gladly watch them in a normal movie, but the horror\suspense\scary aspect was seriously lacking. I wanted the movie to be done about an hour into it, and it kept dragging on.

I should have kept to my rule of, wait for video with anything related to SK's work. He has a few that were actually good, but most of the time, it's a bombfest. Either they keep finding bad directors, or his stories do not adapt well for screen.
Totally disagree, saw it last night with my dad. Big It fan and we really loved the film and yes I jumped a fair few times. I thought the acting was great as was Pennywise. The film flew by at a great pace, very little useless filler and seemed the whole cinema loved it. I thought they did a great job of taking a book that is not easy to translate to the big screen and do a damn fine job of it. Thought while not 100% accurate it reflected the book really well.

Really looking forward to chapter 2.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Took my 14-yr old daughter to see it last night and we both thought it was fantastic, a really well done blend of horror and humor. The kid from Stranger Things knocked it out of the park (IMO).

I don't really remember the original and never read the book, so didn't really know what to expect. To me it basically seemed like a marriage between Stand By Me and Stranger Things with a scary as fuck clown.

We also had some six year olds in the theater with their trashy mom. I assume they will be in therapy for the rest of their lives. There were enough young kids in there that I sent my daughter out to make sure we were in the right theater.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

naednek wrote:Just got back after hearing rave reviews..... WTF were they smoking? Another bad Stephen King movie. The movie was all over the place, uninteresting in terms of plot and villian, but I do say the casting of the kids were great and I would gladly watch them in a normal movie, but the horror\suspense\scary aspect was seriously lacking. I wanted the movie to be done about an hour into it, and it kept dragging on.

I need you to change your profile's signature.
Covfefe!
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

I don't understand how that works in the US, in the UK the movie is a 15 rated if you ain't 15 you ain't getting in even with an adult. Is it not the same in the US?
naednek

Post by naednek »

Reemul wrote:I don't understand how that works in the US, in the UK the movie is a 15 rated if you ain't 15 you ain't getting in even with an adult. Is it not the same in the US?
Nope. Parents have the right to ruin your child, and make poor decisions for them
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

It's called freedom? :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Holman

Post by Holman »

"The kids were climbing the walls so I figured I'd take them to see that new clown movie."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Saw this over the weekend and agree with the general consensus. Pretty good remake of the book.

While I don't think anyone can hold a candle to the natural, raw "Creep" factor that Tim Curry brought to the role, the entire thing aside from that was better. The story is the same, mostly, but the kids were stellar, the town was perfect, and the adults just made it worse (in a good way) by being so creepy themselves; they make it so obvious that IT has infected the whole town in a deeply disturbing way.

Curry's Pennywise simply does it for fun; he's more vocal, more taunting, more sinister - he really loves the fear and revels in the suffering. Skarsgård brings us a Pennywise who makes it clear that fear is just seasoning the meat for him; he's clearly a monster, but he's doing what he's doing because he needs to, not because he loves to.
Black Lives Matter

Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Saw it yesterday.
With all the Stranger Things hype going around, I really wasn't expecting much. Going into the movie, in my mind, they were trying to draft on Stranger Things. Glad I was wrong. It was a great movie and I say that after going to see The Dark Tower and being amazingly disappointed. This was one of the best horror movies I've seen since the first Conjuring. Granted, they kind of "over 80s" the dialog and mise-en-scène, but I still liked it over all.
I have to agree that taking a kid to see this is a huge "NO". Just the shear amount of f-bombs would place it in the "no" category. We're taking Wolf of Wall Street level of swearing.
I like how the movie didn't over-explain things like what Pennywise was. I'm really hoping the adult cast is as good as this kid one was.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I saw this over the weekend, it's pretty good. The visuals were very good, clearly this is a first class production. The kid actors did great, especially Ben, Eddie, and Beverly. The adults in the movie were kind of creepy too and that worked well. I liked that the turtle did pop up here and there, not as the space turtle but more like 'yeah, we know you want to see the turtle'. The new Pennywise is really good, that actor does a different thing than Curry but it works great. He's very menacing and oppressive.

Only thing I didn't like is it felt long. It was not boring per se, but it's one of those movies that feels longer than it is. I might have liked it more if they didn't spend so much time on each individual kid's run in with Pennywise. That's the part that dragged a bit for me. I think that's one of those things that works better in book form. For a movie maybe just have them all see Pennywise together at once. For one thing, in the movie the 'he appears as what scares you most' thing doesn't really pay off. What scared Eddie most looks an awful lot like what scares Ben the most, and what scared Mike was kind of 'meh'. What scared Bill and Beverly the most was so obviously predictable did the movie really need to spend time on that? I think not.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We just got back. I loved the book, and I thought this was a great adaptation. The changes worked and they stayed true to the essence of the story and the characters.

I will say I'm a little surprised at the remarks about how scary it was. I'm a chicken when it comes to scary movies, but I was never really freaked out by It.
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

gameoverman wrote:Only thing I didn't like is it felt long. It was not boring per se, but it's one of those movies that feels longer than it is. I might have liked it more if they didn't spend so much time on each individual kid's run in with Pennywise. That's the part that dragged a bit for me. I think that's one of those things that works better in book form. For a movie maybe just have them all see Pennywise together at once. For one thing, in the movie the 'he appears as what scares you most' thing doesn't really pay off. What scared Eddie most looks an awful lot like what scares Ben the most, and what scared Mike was kind of 'meh'. What scared Bill and Beverly the most was so obviously predictable did the movie really need to spend time on that? I think not.
I had the complete opposite reaction here. My one major complaint about the movie was that it was just too action-oriented. It felt like it moved from Pennywise to Bowers to Abusive Parent to Pennywise to Bowers, et cetera, with hardly any time to breathe and actually develop the characters. This had a two-pronged effect of making the children more difficult to sympathize with, while also making "It" less frightening, simply due to screen-time.

The only major scene in the entire movie that I can really recall that lacked menace was the swimming scene. I'm sure there were others (right? ...), but that was just the only one I could think of.

I have mixed feelings about how they handled the showdown at the end, but apart from those two things I did really enjoy it. I thought the opening sequence was just wonderful and perfectly set the tone for the rest of the film.

The second part of the original movie (as well as the novel) were decidedly worse in my opinion, but I'm still looking forward to the sequel here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

msteelers wrote:We just got back. I loved the book, and I thought this was a great adaptation. The changes worked and they stayed true to the essence of the story and the characters.

I will say I'm a little surprised at the remarks about how scary it was. I'm a chicken when it comes to scary movies, but I was never really freaked out by It.
I noted earlier that while I wasn’t scared, it’s because I’m a jaded horror buff. But if you hold it up against 90 percent of horror movies being released these days, I think you have to admit it’s decidely scarier than most.

Of course, nothing will ever top 1963’s The Haunting, but what can?
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hepcat wrote:I noted earlier that while I wasn’t scared, it’s because I’m a jaded horror buff. But if you hold it up against 90 percent of horror movies being released these days, I think you have to admit it’s decidely scarier than most.
I'm not a jaded horror buff though. I'm usually a wimp, who freaks out during the movie and then goes home and turns on the lights throughout the house.

I think having read the book changed how I viewed the film.
Spoiler:
I had a general idea that the main characters would survive. General movie audiences won't know that going in, and the first scene of the movie features a young kid getting brutally murdered. To them, nobody is safe.

It's the reverse of Game of Thrones.
To be clear, I loved this movie. It's my favorite of his books (besides the Dark Tower) and now it's my favorite of the movie adaptations.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Did you like the Dark Tower movie adaptation? I avoided it because of the almost universal negativity surrounding it on its release.
Covfefe!
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hepcat wrote:Did you like the Dark Tower movie adaptation? I avoided it because of the almost universal negativity surrounding it on its release.
No. It was a weak action movie that tried to sell itself on being this grand adventure. It had one fun fight scene, but that was it.

They really screwed up by pushing the idea that the movie would continue the story from the books too. The horn of eld that everyone was talking about isn't even in the damn movie. They should have just said the movie is not an adaptation of the books, rather a new story inspired by the characters created by King. Nobody would have liked that, but it would have managed expectations.

I'm a little surprised the studio didn't want to do a King Cinematic Universe. Start with It, do The Stand, Salem's Lot, and The Shining, along with any other movie they want to throw in to the mix, then do a proper Dark Tower movie series to tie them all together. Everybody wants a connected universe, and The Dark Tower did it twenty years before it was cool.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That’s going to be the Castle Rock show on Hulu.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Isgrimnur wrote:That’s going to be the Castle Rock show on Hulu.
Wha?

I haven't looked into this at all, so I know nothing about the show.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Look for the teaser. No info apart from character names.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or the Hulu originals thread.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

If ever a movie title cried out for a porn parody, surely "Not It" would be the one(as adults of course). :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Way late to the party, but I managed to watch IT today. I read the book as a teenager, watched (and liked) the TV adaptation, and really enjoyed this movie. The tone was spot-on for me and Bill Skarsgård was awesome. I think my favorite part of this adaptation is how they really tried to portray the terror through the eyes of the children - what was it that would frighten them exactly. What some might consider cartoony (Stan's fear) was made absolutely terrifying. The camera tricks (weird perspectives, movement, etc...) added to the tension and made it more dream-like. Overall I thought the entire presentation was quite effective - the first fight in the house in particular was awesome.

Anyway, I thought the cast overall did an excellent job and I'm really looking forward to seeing Part 2, though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scratching my head a bit at this list:
Jessica Chastain will play Beverly Marsh. Ben Stiller will play Bill Denbrough. Bill Hader will be playing Richie Tozier. Eddie Kaspbark will be played by James Ransone with Andy Bean playing Stanley Uris . Chris Pratt as Ben Hanscom, and Isaiah Mustafa as Mike Hanlon.
I'll trust that everyone involved knows what they're doing...

EDIT: They had some spoilers in the casting list, sorry about that
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I almost forgot about this, I'll have to see if I can get it next time my son sits still for a movie. A few weeks ago he enjoyed Killer Klowns from Outer Space and has asked to watch The Dickies video several times since.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As mentioned earlier, it's probably a little strong for the younger crowd.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:23 pm As mentioned earlier, it's probably a little strong for the younger crowd.
"A little strong" is a little weak of a statement on this movie. I probably wouldn't show this to my 12yo and def would not show it to the 8yo
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:23 pm As mentioned earlier, it's probably a little strong for the younger crowd.
My son is weird. He watched Jaws last weekend and thought it was the funniest thing.
Black Lives Matter