Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Firefly, Stargate, BSG....

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Firefly, Stargate, BSG..

Post by Daehawk »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
dbt1949 wrote:Does anybody remember Space: Above and Beyond ?
It's a real shame that show only lasted one season.
Back before streaming in my "series buying days", I picked this up on DVD since I loved the show. Always meant to go back and revisit it one day but never did.
It was my favorite show of it's day. Loved it. Was left with an ending that was..well unfinished.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
dbt1949 wrote:Does anybody remember Space: Above and Beyond ?
It's a real shame that show only lasted one season.
Back before streaming in my "series buying days", I picked this up on DVD since I loved the show. Always meant to go back and revisit it one day but never did.
I have the DVD set too and have been watching an episode every so often. The stories and acting still hold up pretty well to me and I don't mind some of the dated special effects. Wish there was a blu-ray version and would love a reboot of the series. Looking forward to when I get to the Angriest Angel episode.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

You can tell I loved the show because one of it's quotes is in my sig :)
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Finished Season 1 of Star Trek Deep Space Nine I like it well enough to go on to Season 2.

This first season was okay, not many memorable episodes yet taken as a whole it was interesting enough. I like when the 'world building' is plausible and the characters potentially worthwhile. Commander Sisko seems amiable but I get the feeling you don't want to mess with him.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

...must...avoid...spoilers...

It gets better. A LOT better. Trust us.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Don't worry...there's a ton of Garak in your future.

He won. Period.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I'm jealous. I wish I were experiencing DS9 for the first time. My favorite star trek. Although I'm not yet done with voyager.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

JonathanStrange wrote:Finished Season 1 of Star Trek Deep Space Nine I like it well enough to go on to Season 2.

This first season was okay, not many memorable episodes yet taken as a whole it was interesting enough. I like when the 'world building' is plausible and the characters potentially worthwhile. Commander Sisko seems amiable but I get the feeling you don't want to mess with him.
Season 1 was OK. The rest of the seasons are some of my favorite television ever, and that's coming from someone who isn't that big of StarTrek fan.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Finished Season 2 of Star Trek Deep Space Nine

I've enjoyed this Season even more the first (which was good but not all that compelling). As a teen, I'd dismissed the whole show because of timing (I watched tv when I felt like it and DS9 wasn't convenient) and because of the goofy looking big-eared guy and the shape-shifter who couldn't mimic a convincing face. I think it helped me enormously that I can watch it at my own Netflix pace, especially because Season 2 established the characters for me.

After Season 2, I sort of 'get' the DS9 crew. It's truly an ensemble show and all the characters - even minor ones - have depth, far more than is usual for most series. The individual episodes felt more connected to each other and to the characters' lives than, say, Star Trek. The original series had many great "Do You Remember" episodes but the players seemed never to grow or remember last week's 'unforgettable' event.

Season 2 didn't have so many memorable episodes (though I liked 'Crossover', the Mirror Universe ep., the dual 'Maquis' episodes, and Chief O'Brien's 'Whispers" ep.) but as a complete season, I felt we were witnessing the actual lives of the characters. They changed, revealed aspects of themselves (Odo's sorrow for his missing past, Bashir's loneliness and attempts to find friends, Maj. Kira's re-adjustment to peace, and even Quark wasn't all about profit) and it made them more real. They're nothing like my superficial teenage assessment.

I'll continue to Season 3. Those Jem'Hadar - in the last episode of Season 2 - seem pretty bad-ass. I expect we'll be seeing more of them; given the ease with which they destroyed the USS Odyssey.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

And you haven't even gotten to the best parts yet!
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I really didn't like DS9 or B5 when they came on. B5 with the weird roster haired guy and dull commander,,,,and DS9 which is Star Trek thats not on a ship. So I really passed on both first seasons. Then I got started on B5 somehow right at the start nearly of season 2 and it ranks as one of the best sci fi shows ever to me. I got back to DS9 about the end of season 2 or so. I then caught up to all missed eps for both after the end of season 2 for each. Still much prefer B5....really got tired of Bajoran this Bajoran that and the Pah and the Ka and anything else they preached.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I finished up season 2 of ToS, which ended with the Assignment:Earth as a back-door pilot.

As for the story persistence, JS has it dead on, but credit needs to go to TNG, the first Trek cliffhanger and returning characters deeper than Mudd.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The kids and I normally have a show that we watch each night with dinner. We pick a series and work our way through it, one episode a night. So far we've done Firefly, all seven seasons of Buffy, and all five of Angel. We finished off all three seasons of Star Trek: The Original Series over the summer, plus all of the TOS movies (minus The Motion Picture.) We started The Next Generation last week, and are on episode 5 right now, and both kids are loving it.

I know every episode. Every twist, every resolution. Still, I'm finding that I'm really enjoying watching it and seeing it the first time through their eyes.

Next will be DS9. Voyager and Enterprise will happen at some point, although it is possible that we will take a break somewhere along the line and watch something else for a change of pace.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote:I really didn't like DS9 or B5 when they came on. B5 with the weird roster haired guy and dull commander,,,,and DS9 which is Star Trek thats not on a ship. So I really passed on both first seasons.
I bailed on DS9 because with no VCR or DVDs I couldn't follow a serial. If you missed an episode you were disoriented; if you missed 2-3 episodes you got lost to the point of not caring. Its biggest strength -- its interconnected continuity -- was its downfall before I had the technology to watch it at my leisure. I didn't know what I'd missed until I binge-watched the whole series on DVD a few years ago. I think we got through all 7 (?) seasons in under a year.
Blackhawk wrote: I know every episode. Every twist, every resolution. Still, I'm finding that I'm really enjoying watching it and seeing it the first time through their eyes.
My wife had never seen TOS until we watched 11:30 pm reruns on my little b&w portable TV with its coat-hanger antenna in the early '80s. Watching her discover ST was more fun than actually watching ST.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

When my 12-year-old's D&D character died, the first thing he said was, "I knew I shouldn't have worn this red shirt."
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: My wife had never seen TOS until we watched 11:30 pm reruns on my little b&w portable TV with its coat-hanger antenna in the early '80s. Watching her discover ST was more fun than actually watching ST.
I tried showing my wife a TOS episode a few years ago. She glanced at the TV, declared it to be old, and never gave it a second look.

She liked the two new ST movies though.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Re: Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Firefly, Stargate, BSG....

Post by Smoove_B »

I started watching Deep Space 9 again a few weeks ago, right before the actor that played Nog died. Anyway, I'm about 1/2 through S1 and almost fell off the couch when this guy came on the TV:

I guess long before he was Equalizing and then working as a parking garage attendant, he was a prisoner on some distant moon in S1, Ep 13 "Battle Lines".
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Who is that?
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Enlarge Image

AKA Gunderson in 'Airplane!'
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:14 am I started watching Deep Space 9 again a few weeks ago
I'm about 3/4 of the way through season 1 of Farscape on Amazon Prime. I'd never watched it before and I'm enjoying it.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:14 am I started watching Deep Space 9 again a few weeks ago, right before the actor that played Nog died.
You're not alone.

The kids and I just finished our run a few months ago. Still my favorite Star Trek.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I would not have expected that, but that's pretty cool. I don't remember exactly what season it was I started watching (I want to say it would have be around S3), but I wasn't a faithful viewer by any means. It was (as I recall) a re-run on Sunday mornings and something I'd watch while procrastinating at college (which I minored in). I've really been enjoying S1 so far - it's not nearly as rough as I was expecting. I've tried watching the other ST titles, but this is absolutely my favorite one.
Moat_Man wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:36 am I'm about 3/4 of the way through season 1 of Farscape on Amazon Prime. I'd never watched it before and I'm enjoying it.
I might have seen a few episodes, but it's a show I should probably watch as well.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It was probably season 4 before I started watching DS9 seriously, but I got hooked quick.

Farscape is fun. It's much lighter than Trek. I think the closest comparison for 'feel' would be Stargate SG-1 (and I'm not sure how much of that is coincidence, given certain later casting choices.)
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Funny, I started watching DS9 religiously from the beginning, but got bored of it (right before season 4 I think) and eventually drifted away. It probably didn't help that my life was a little busy back then (early career, first kid, etc).

I've heard from various sources that it got much better shortly after I stopped watching. Maybe after a 20 year hiatus I should start from the beginning again. Side Note: One of the writers (Ron Moore) was a member of my fraternity.

Edit: Not too long ago, Wil Wheaton linked to a guide for people who want to understand DS9 without watching all of it. It's a really interesting read.

Farscape, on the other hand, was "that weird show I would watch on Friday nights". Eventually it really found its stride and I was totally hooked on it. I was really sad (but unsurprised) when it was canceled.
Conform or be cast out!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Still working my way through DS9 and enjoying it tremendously. I'm about 1/2 through S2 now and when this actress came on, she looked so familiar, but I couldn't place how I knew her:

Enlarge Image

Well, when I used IMDB, I felt pretty stupid.
Spoiler:

Salli Richardson played Dr. Blake on SyFy's Eureka!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I can understand the confusion. She clearly did something with her hair.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I have trouble recognizing people if they change their shirt.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:02 pm Still working my way through DS9 and enjoying it tremendously. I'm about 1/2 through S2 now
If you are enjoying it "tremendously" now, boy are you going to be happy in a couple of seasons. Enjoy!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fox and Firefly

Its too late now morons. Oh and FUCK FOX.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Axanar is still a thing

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Seeing that preview gets me to thinking. I'd like to see a Star Trek series/movie that centers on a non earth empire. Like the Klingons or Romulans or something. If they could be enemies of the Federation so much the better.
Borg!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

When are they making a Captain Shran show?
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive harped both your points for years and years. Even told Jeff Combs the Shran idea..of course he liked it he said :)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm surprised given how much trouble they'd given CBS. With the lawsuits and general pain in the ass they've been, eventually forcing CBS to make changes on how they view fanfilms, I'm not sure how they've managed to keep on going for as long as they have. They're persistent, I'll give them that.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:21 pm Seeing that preview gets me to thinking. I'd like to see a Star Trek series/movie that centers on a non earth empire. Like the Klingons or Romulans or something. If they could be enemies of the Federation so much the better.
Borg!
Yeah, but it'd had to be animation though. Live-action would eat up all its budget in the makeup. It'd be something like Lower Decks.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:26 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:21 pm Seeing that preview gets me to thinking. I'd like to see a Star Trek series/movie that centers on a non earth empire. Like the Klingons or Romulans or something. If they could be enemies of the Federation so much the better.
Borg!
Yeah, but it'd had to be animation though. Live-action would eat up all its budget in the makeup. It'd be something like Lower Decks.
I had an idea for a series of TNG era Romulans involving political treachery, a civil war and crew members killed. The captain of the ship executed for treason, then the rest of the crew finding out that the captain was right. The ending would involve the entire ship being lost in the first battle of the new war with the federation,
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

With the exception of The Defector, I always cringe when I see an episode is about the Romulans. It's like the Trek equivalent of a Meg episode. I have a similar reaction whenever a DS9 episode is about Bajoran religious life.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:40 pm With the exception of The Defector, I always cringe when I see an episode is about the Romulans. It's like the Trek equivalent of a Meg episode. I have a similar reaction whenever a DS9 episode is about Bajoran religious life.
I mean anything could be made interesting given the right writer.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.