Hey soccer fans!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lassr

Hey soccer fans!

Post by Lassr »

I am going to see Barcelona vs Chelsea at Fedex Field in DC on July 28th. This is my son's dream since he is a huge Messi fan.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Re: Hey soccer fans!

Post by Alefroth »

Nice. Is that part of some tournament, or a friendly?

I'm going to see the U.S. Women's team vs. Nigeria at the World Cup in Vancouver.
Last edited by Alefroth on Fri May 15, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lassr wrote:I am going to see Barcelona vs Chelsea at Fedex Field in DC on July 28th. This is my son's dream since he is a huge Messi fan.
I hope you steel yourself for the hellish experience that is getting into and out of that stadium.

Beyond that, enjoy!
Hodor.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Alefroth wrote:Nice. I'm going to see the U.S. Women's team vs. Nigeria at the World Cup in Vancouver.
My friend is going to one of the world cup games in Canada and asked if I wanted to go but I had to pass.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Lassr wrote:
Alefroth wrote:Nice. I'm going to see the U.S. Women's team vs. Nigeria at the World Cup in Vancouver.
My friend is going to one of the world cup games in Canada and asked if I wanted to go but I had to pass.
Yeah, that'd be kind of a trip for you. I live 45 minutes from Vancouver. Which one is he going to, do you know?
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Alefroth wrote:Nice. Is that part of some tournament, or a friendly?

I'm going to see the U.S. Women's team vs. Nigeria at the World Cup in Vancouver.
My son said it was part of qualifying so the regular players should play. Not sure qualifying for what. They have so many different tournaments.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

pr0ner wrote:
Lassr wrote:I am going to see Barcelona vs Chelsea at Fedex Field in DC on July 28th. This is my son's dream since he is a huge Messi fan.
I hope you steel yourself for the hellish experience that is getting into and out of that stadium.

Beyond that, enjoy!
Noted. We've got nothing better to do though.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Alefroth wrote:
Lassr wrote:
Yeah, that'd be kind of a trip for you. I live 45 minutes from Vancouver. Which one is he going to, do you know?
I think he said Winnipeg but not sure which game.

Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Lassr wrote:
Alefroth wrote:
Lassr wrote:
I think he said Winnipeg but not sure which game.
They are playing matches in Winnipeg? They must really be spreading this out. Tell me they are also playing matches in Regina.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Playing from Vancouver to Moncton
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

No matches in Regina :-( Damnit, I would have loved to have gone.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
mori

Post by mori »

After failing to make chances pay, The US Women finally put Mexico down in the 2nd half.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Hope he gets to see Messi play. Last few friendlies I've been to, some of the big names sat.

Either way, though, a great matchup.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
mori

Post by mori »

One match in Women World Cup and already controversy. A questionable penalty in extra time gifts Canada a win over a very underdog, but dogged China. I personally would not of awarded that penalty.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

mori wrote:One match in Women World Cup and already controversy. A questionable penalty in extra time gifts Canada a win over a very underdog, but dogged China. I personally would not of awarded that penalty.
Prepare to be hacked, my Canadian friends.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Wait, they're playing on turf?

I missed the game last night (hockey was on at every single bar) but reading up on it today and apparently the pitch sucks.
Wambach said playing on turf in the World Cup will force her to second guess whether to slide tackle to or go for a diving header, since that can result in bloody elbows, knees and hip bones.

Turf fields are also much hotter than natural grass fields. The surface at this Saturday's cup opener in Edmonton, in which Canada beat China 1-0, reportedly reached 120 degrees an hour before kickoff. At Sunday's games in Ottawa, the field temperature reached 130 degrees.

Spoilered for "turfburn" pics:
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Some fantastic play last night USA vs. Australia.

Some horrible yellow card calls as well, though (against USA).

I realllllly much prefer women's soccer over men's for some reason (and not just the US team).
mori

Post by mori »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Wait, they're playing on turf?

I missed the game last night (hockey was on at every single bar) but reading up on it today and apparently the pitch sucks.
Wambach said playing on turf in the World Cup will force her to second guess whether to slide tackle to or go for a diving header, since that can result in bloody elbows, knees and hip bones.

Turf fields are also much hotter than natural grass fields. The surface at this Saturday's cup opener in Edmonton, in which Canada beat China 1-0, reportedly reached 120 degrees an hour before kickoff. At Sunday's games in Ottawa, the field temperature reached 130 degrees.

Spoilered for "turfburn" pics:
They haven't discovered grass in Canada yet.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

mori wrote: They haven't discovered grass in Canada yet.
There sure was a lot of it on the slopes for the Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

:wink:

MYT
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

So the USMNT just beat the Netherlands and Germany (Germany!) in the space of a few days. A sign of good things to come, or just a couple of friendlies that shouldn't be taken seriously?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

AWS260 wrote:So the USMNT just beat the Netherlands and Germany (Germany!) in the space of a few days. A sign of good things to come, or just a couple of friendlies that shouldn't be taken seriously?
Depends how good you think Muller, Kroos, and Neuer are. Granted I think the US was missing some key players too but Germany was far more depleted. I think it's just some friendlies that are good for experience and confidence but not good for rating the teams.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
AWS260 wrote:So the USMNT just beat the Netherlands and Germany (Germany!) in the space of a few days. A sign of good things to come, or just a couple of friendlies that shouldn't be taken seriously?
Depends how good you think Muller, Kroos, and Neuer are. Granted I think the US was missing some key players too but Germany was far more depleted. I think it's just some friendlies that are good for experience and confidence but not good for rating the teams.
Germany and Holland shouldn't be losing to the USMNT at home, friendly or otherwise.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Germany and Holland shouldn't be losing to the USMNT at home, friendly or otherwise.
But they did. Does that make US the better team? I say no.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
pr0ner wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:
But they did. Does that make US the better team? I say no.
No, certainly not. Just more opportunistic in both cases.
Hodor.
mori

Post by mori »

Rapinoe cross from the fucking by-line!
mori

Post by mori »

I do not anticipate the USWNT to get much past the first knock out round. Germany and a few other teams, would destroy them.

I think Men in Blazers have this team figured out. They are England and Jill Ellis is Roy Hodgson. They do not adapt and many other teams have passed them by. 1999 is this team's England's 1966.

Should be interesting in the next Women World Cup and if the African nations continue their ascendency. I guess that all depends on FIFA policies and the associated $$$ pipeline. And Brazil? WTF!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Was out of town visiting family this weekend in Ottawa and our hotel had a lot of Fifa visitors.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
mori

Post by mori »

A much better performance by the USWNT against China. Even though they only won 1-0, they did a lot of things right. The high pressing, wingers acting as proper wingers, the back four pushing up, etc. Keep Wombach on the bench and only make her a late sub. If Rapinoe comes in the next match and does not play like O'Hara did in this match, bench her as well. I think Judy Johnston has been the MVP of this team. I like how she does being a central defender stopper. I have not seen an opposition forward get the best of her the entire tournament or has lost an aerial duel.

The next match against Germany is going to be the biggest test of the WC and the winner of this should win the cup. Sort of pessimistic about our chances because I am sure Jill Ellis will go back to her old ways for that match. I can just see Rapinoe cutting inside running into cul-de-sacs while Wombach is pitching a fit and yelling at everyone. Germany 3-1. Hope I am wrong.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

mori wrote:A much better performance by the USWNT against China. Even though they only won 1-0, they did a lot of things right. The high pressing, wingers acting as proper wingers, the back four pushing up, etc. Keep Wombach on the bench and only make her a late sub. If Rapinoe comes in the next match and does not play like O'Hara did in this match, bench her as well. I think Judy Johnston has been the MVP of this team. I like how she does being a central defender stopper. I have not seen an opposition forward get the best of her the entire tournament or has lost an aerial duel.

The next match against Germany is going to be the biggest test of the WC and the winner of this should win the cup. Sort of pessimistic about our chances because I am sure Jill Ellis will go back to her old ways for that match. I can just see Rapinoe cutting inside running into cul-de-sacs while Wombach is pitching a fit and yelling at everyone. Germany 3-1. Hope I am wrong.
I agree with everything you wrote, but am still somehow outraged by the suggestion that Megan Rapinoe is not a goddam national treasure. Megan Rapinoe is a goddam national treasure.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

mori wrote:A much better performance by the USWNT against China. Even though they only won 1-0, they did a lot of things right. The high pressing, wingers acting as proper wingers, the back four pushing up, etc. Keep Wombach on the bench and only make her a late sub. If Rapinoe comes in the next match and does not play like O'Hara did in this match, bench her as well. I think Judy Johnston has been the MVP of this team. I like how she does being a central defender stopper. I have not seen an opposition forward get the best of her the entire tournament or has lost an aerial duel.

DAMMIT. I missed it - was it a good game? I will find a replay somewhere if it was...otherwise, will just wait and catch the Germany game.
mori

Post by mori »

It was not a good game to watch as the USA dominated but only got 1 goal. It was good from a tactical and technical viewpoint. The Chinese were never in the match and their tactics were woeful.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Thanks. Skipping.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

mori wrote:It was not a good game to watch as the USA dominated but only got 1 goal. It was good from a tactical and technical viewpoint. The Chinese were never in the match and their tactics were woeful.
Sounds just like Japan/Australia today.

Well, except it was a good game to watch if you liked corners.

MYT
mori

Post by mori »

It was a match that Australia could of won to as they were more into the game than China was. The more I think about it the more that the China coach will be told to line up against a wall when he gets back to Bejing. This was a very beatable USA squad and he just threw it away with his boneheaded tactics. Interested in the Canada/England match but I think this is either USA or Germany's cup. Unless Canada gets to the final that is...
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Fingers crossed for the U.S. against Germany tonight. Hope Solo could be in for a busy night.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

[Hope Solo busy night joke here]

Looking forward to it too. We're going to a BBQ tonight that just happens to be hosted by a German family. No TV but they have every streaming service imaginable so hoping to see some of it.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wooooo!!!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

mori wrote:I do not anticipate the USWNT to get much past the first knock out round. Germany and a few other teams, would destroy them.
Never bet against the USWNT when the World Cup is on the line!!
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
mori wrote:I do not anticipate the USWNT to get much past the first knock out round. Germany and a few other teams, would destroy them.
Never bet against the USWNT when the World Cup is on the line!!

One more win to seal best team in the world
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Whew. Glad we got that second goal, since the PK call was just a leettle bit bullshit (the foul was clearly outside the box).