Hey soccer fans!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tru1cy

Re: Hey soccer fans!

Post by tru1cy »

AWS260 wrote:Whew. Glad we got that second goal, since the PK call was just a leettle bit bullshit (the foul was clearly outside the box).

The soccer gods were certainly on the USA side tonight as the US defender should have been sent off as that foul in the box was red card worthy
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It's looking like it might be a rematch of the last World Cup.

I keep checking for tickets for the final match, but it says they are currently unavailable and to check back closer to the event. Do tickets usually go on sale this late?
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

FIFA responsibilities are keeping Blatter and his number 2 from coming to Canada to present the trophy to the eventual world cup winner :coffee:
mori

Post by mori »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
mori wrote:I do not anticipate the USWNT to get much past the first knock out round. Germany and a few other teams, would destroy them.
Never bet against the USWNT when the World Cup is on the line!!
I was not able to watch the Germany/USA match. Just caught a few highlights. Obviously this team has picked it up after the Columbia match. Going to be a rematch with Japan in the final?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

tru1cy wrote:FIFA responsibilities are keeping Blatter and his number 2 from coming to Canada to present the trophy to the eventual world cup winner :coffee:
I'm sure it has nothing to do with a friendly Canada-US extradition policy.

Great game yesterday but I wish Germany had made that PK (assuming the US still goes on to score 2 goals). What with the red-card argument and more importantly Hope Solo's antics, a goal there would have gone a long way to silence any controversy.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Oh, England. Own goal in the 92nd minute. Brutal.
mori

Post by mori »

AWS260 wrote:Oh, England. Own goal in the 92nd minute. Brutal.
That poor England defender. It was not an accidental touch and she placed it perfectly if you were Japan. Wished it went to overtime and wore these two teams down more and made it a little easier for USA.
mori

Post by mori »

I want the USA to win but not embarrass Japan. That can only be bad for us in the future. 4-0 in under 20 minutes. These two teams do not seem even close on the same talent level. I guess USWNT was saving all their goals for the championship game.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah, this is crazy. Go USA!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Ridiculous first 15 minutes.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

And there is the whistle. USA! USA! USA!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Awesome win for USWNT. Carli Lloyd deserve the golden boot award
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That long-distance Lloyd goal... big brass balls on that one.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

AWS260 wrote:That long-distance Lloyd goal... big brass balls on that one.

That was a hell of a shot. truly amazing
mori

Post by mori »

Well done USWNT. I was impressed that Ellis finally made the right tactical adjustments to get the Cup. And the team peaked at the right time.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

mori wrote:Well done USWNT. I was impressed that Ellis finally made the right tactical adjustments to get the Cup. And the team peaked at the right time.
It had to be hard to bench Abby
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Lassr wrote:I am going to see Barcelona vs Chelsea at Fedex Field in DC on July 28th. This is my son's dream since he is a huge Messi fan.
and he found out Messi will not be there for the game. He will be resting due to playing in the COPA final. He is disappointed but hopes some of the other regulars will be there.
Pyperkub wrote:
mori wrote:Well done USWNT. I was impressed that Ellis finally made the right tactical adjustments to get the Cup. And the team peaked at the right time.
It had to be hard to bench Abby
Abby was a team player so it made it an easier decision when Abby stated she knew her primary role would be encouraging & coaching from the sideline.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We were actually enjoying a nice relaxing meetup downtown with Pyperkub while the US was putting on their scoring clinic. We left when it was 3-0, by the time we hit the elevator someone said it was 4-0. 4-1 when we got home to settle in for the second half. Which was fine, the kid is really in it for the hugging and crying at the end which she got plenty of.

Knowing that the result was pretty much inevitable was good as the kiddo was chanting "Go up USA!" the whole way home on the train ("Go up" being her version of "Go team")!

Lassr wrote:
Lassr wrote:I am going to see Barcelona vs Chelsea at Fedex Field in DC on July 28th. This is my son's dream since he is a huge Messi fan.
and he found out Messi will not be there for the game. He will be resting due to playing in the COPA final. He is disappointed but hopes some of the other regulars will be there.
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Hope he gets to see Messi play. Last few friendlies I've been to, some of the big names sat.

Either way, though, a great matchup.
Kind of what I was thinking. Always a risk with friendlies.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Fun stat - by the time the US had scored it's fourth goal (20 minutes in), no other world cup finals match had ever seen 1 goal scored.

That game is going to be the answer to trivia questions for a long time to come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Women's cup has only been played six times.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote:The Women's cup has only been played six times.
And in the next quarter century, it's only going to be played 6 more. Small samples sizes are likely to rule for most of my life.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LOL - EXCELLENT

'Clean it up'? WTF...it's not like he got splattered with paint or shit (which might have been a little more awesome).
mori

Post by mori »

Lassr never let us know how the Barcelona/Chelsie match was.

Since there is not enough interest in football in this forum I will post in this thread instead of starting a new one. My predictions for the upcoming EPL season:
1. Arsenal
2. Manchester United
3. Chelsea
4. Manchester City

18. Sunderland
19. Norwich
20. Leicester

Chelsea can either mount a serious title defense, or challenge in the Champions League but cannot do both. I think he will chose the latter. I am really anxious to watch Bournmouth and hope they can stay up. Love the story. Hope my team of Crystal Palace can improve but yet avoid the poison chalice of the Europa League. Everton and Liverpool will continue to struggle with both squads ending with different managers.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Ended 2-2 with Chelsea winning in Penalty kicks. Barcelona had it won but put in the back up keeper and he made a mistake in trying to punch the ball out in a LOT of traffic and Chelsea headed it in over the keeper as he was blocked from the ball.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

A lot of fun. It was nice that we were on the club level at Fed EX. everything was air conditioned on the concourse with TVs and Cushioned chairs and tables.

My son enjoying the A/C after standing out in the heat for an hour.

Enlarge Image
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Cool write up Lassr. What is up with your son and that cup? An attempt to disguise... :ninja: .

The EPL got underway with mostly lackluster matches but finished with an excellent Chelsea/Swansea City match. My Palace got 3 points despite playing like shit and could of easily, and should of, dropped points. Man United eek out a narrow victory but opposition managers have to be salivating at the opportunity to compete against them.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

he was drinking tea. He didn't know I was taking his picture until the last second.

Black Lives Matter
mori

Post by mori »

Just about a perfect weekend in the EPL. Only thing that could of been better if Newcastle beat Arsenal. Crystal Palace is 2nd in the league :horse: .
mori

Post by mori »

Disappointing that USA lost to Mexico this weekend. Good match though. Now a slightly tougher road for the USA to Russia 2018. This USA squad is getting old so I sure hope that Klinsman has some idea of bringing some younger players in soon. Yedlin was class when he finally got onto the pitch.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Abby Wambach announced her retirement. Nice to see her go out on top!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

AWS260 wrote:Mourinho out.
Chelsea basically quit on him in my opinion. Wow, win the Premiere League last season the just staying above regulation at the moment

I guess the Great One isn't so great. Maybe Pep will take the reins
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

tru1cy wrote:
AWS260 wrote:Mourinho out.
Chelsea basically quit on him in my opinion. Wow, win the Premiere League last season the just staying above regulation at the moment

I guess the Great One isn't so great. Maybe Pep will take the reins

They have been terrible this year. I knew they were in trouble when they lost to the NY Red Bulls during their pre-season. Mind you this was a NY Reds Bulls without any of their regular starting 11.

But they are in the round of 16 in the Champions League so the time was now to make the coaching change.
FTE
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Farewell to a soccer giant.

Abby Wambach.

Highest scoring person in international soccer.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

If Man U. loses this match against Stoke today I don't think van Gaal survives the week.. Just pathetic football from this squad
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

tru1cy wrote:If Man U. loses this match against Stoke today I don't think van Gaal survives the week.. Just pathetic football from this squad
I guess we'll see soon enough, now.
Conform or be cast out!
mori

Post by mori »

I think he will get one more match and in comes Mourinho. It is terrible football that Man U are playing though. Fascinating they spent all that money and made the team worse from when Moyes was manager.

I thought we had an EPL thread around here somewhere.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Pep Guardiola will be taking over Man City at the end of this season. He's probably going to find out like Jurgen Klopp that the Premier League's match schedule is no fun.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

In the most important sporting match of the weekend, Leicester City smacks down gajillionaires Manchester City. Good stuff.
mori

Post by mori »

For some reason I find it funny that tru1cy made an EPL thread but does not use it. Anyways...

It is fascinating that Leicester City could win the league. They only have 13 matches left with a 6 point lead. All the other contenders have many more matches with continental and cup competitions adding significantly to their workload. It could actually happen. The comparison one of the Robbies made during the NBC post match analysis about Leicester City's Huth and Mahrez cost a combined $5.6 million while their Man City counterparts cost over $100 million and he would take the Leicester city players every day of the week. They hit something magical in Leicester that I think is going to be a model for many clubs in the future.

Finally Crystal Palace have at least stalled their free fall. Been a tough 5 weeks for the Eagles. But with Alan Pardew as manager we are going to have these tough spells. The Philadelphia 76's owners bought a stake in Crystal Palace. I hope they do not want to run the club like they do their basketball team.