[News] Biker Gang Shootout in Waco, TX

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[News] Biker Gang Shootout in Waco, TX

Post by Isgrimnur »

NY Times
Nine people were killed Sunday and some others injured after a shootout erupted among rival biker gangs at a Central Texas restaurant, sending patrons and bystanders fleeing for safety, a police spokesman said.

The violence erupted shortly after noon at a busy Waco marketplace along Interstate 35 that draws a large lunchtime crowd. Waco police Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton said eight people died at the scene of the shooting at Twin Peaks restaurant and another person at a hospital. It's not immediately clear if bystanders are among the dead.
There are still bodies on the scene of the parking lot at Twin Peaks," he said. "There are bodies that are scattered throughout the parking lot of the next adjoining business."

A photo from the scene showed dozens of motorcycles parked in a lot. Among the bikes, at least three people wearing what looked like biker jackets were on the ground, two on their backs and one face down. Police were standing a few feet away in a group. Several other people also wearing biker jackets were standing or sitting nearby.

Swanton said police were aware in advance that at least three rival gangs would be gathering at the restaurant and at least 12 Waco officers in addition to state troopers were at the restaurant when the fight began.

When the shooting began in the restaurant and then continued outside, armed bikers were shot by officers, Swanton said, explaining that the actions of law enforcement prevented further deaths.

It's not known what triggered the violence but Swanton and McLennan County District Attorney Abel Reyna said tensions had simmered among rival gangs for months.

"Apparently the management (of Twin Peaks) wanted them here and so we didn't have any say-so on whether they could be here or not," Swanton said.
The fight inside the restaurant began when punches were thrown and it quickly escalated to include chains and knives before firearms were drawn, Swanton said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Re: [News] Biker Gang Shootout in Waco, TX

Post by Skinypupy »

Jax Teller unavailable for comment.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He drove into a projector screen, I believe.
He won. Period.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Skinypupy wrote:Jax Teller unavailable for comment.
Mayans and the Niners were also among the casualties. No sign of the Galindo Cartel. (I'm only on Season 5)
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Us non-Texicans kind of assume that Wild West/Mad Max shootouts are routine in TX. Or maybe I'm just playing too much Fallout NV.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I almost wish they'd just take all these idiots and put them together in a room with all the knives they could want and just let them kill each other off. The gene pool would certainly be cleaner.
He won. Period.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I don't get biker gangs. I don't get the need to be with a bunch of other dudes in leather.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There was a series on NatGeo or History a few years ago that profiled all the various gangs around the United States. It was absolutely fascinating to watch. Not the fake documentary "Devil's Ride" but profile pieces on the motorcycle clubs, their histories and current status.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

hepcat wrote:I almost wish they'd just take all these idiots and put them together in a room with all the knives they could want and just let them kill each other off. The gene pool would certainly be cleaner.
Celebrity Deathmatch! Wait, which idiots are we talking about?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was talking about the bikers, but I'm fine with extending it to reality television stars.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission, the state's licensing board, has suspended the Twin Peak's location's license.
"TABC is implementing a Summary Suspension closing Twin Peaks for at least 7 days," the Waco Police Department said on its Facebook page. "This is not a punitive action on TABC's part but done due to the ongoing danger it presents to our community. They are conducting a parallel investigation and further action may be forthcoming."
Oh, and their corporate office has pulled their franchising rights.
A Dallas-based company that operated a Waco Twin Peaks restaurant that was the site of a deadly biker gathering Sunday has had its franchising rights “immediately revoked,” a Twin Peaks spokesman said early Monday.

The location, where nine bikers were shot and killed, open Aug. 11, 2014 and is owned by the Dallas-based Chalak Mitra Group, the same company that owns the Genghis Grill chain. Both Twin Peaks and Genghis Grill are two of the fastest growing chains in the nation.

Chalak Mitra is a relatively new Twin Peaks franchisee and the parent company acted swiftly to sever all ties.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A news report on NPR mentioned that the restaurant had been repeatedly asked to stop holding a weekly Biker's night due to gang activity, but they refused. I'm glad they're getting punished for willfully catering to thugs.

...and by thugs, I mean people who are violent criminals.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Were these guys wearing the traditional biker gang vests?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Texas Department of Public Safety, our state-level law enforcement/DMV stand-in, put together a handy guide on Texas Gang Threat Assessment with county-specific maps so you can plan your tourism appropriately.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

McNutt wrote:Were these guys wearing the traditional biker gang vests?
The Justice Department has a page on their top Outlaw Motorcycle Gang threats. The Bandidos, one of the players in Waco, is listed there with picture of their flair.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Nice SS tat on the one guy.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:
The location, where nine bikers were shot and killed, open Aug. 11, 2014 and is owned by the Dallas-based Chalak Mitra Group, the same company that owns the Genghis Grill chain. Both Twin Peaks and Genghis Grill are two of the fastest growing chains in the nation.

Chalak Mitra is a relatively new Twin Peaks franchisee and the parent company acted swiftly to sever all ties.
See, I think they missed a great opportunity by choosing the wrong place to host get-togethers for roving violent mounted gangs.
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Mon May 18, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:
The Justice Department has a page on their top Outlaw Motorcycle Gang threats. The Bandidos, one of the players in Waco, is listed there with picture of their flair.
Now with actual link.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:

See, I think they missed a great opportunity by choosing the wrong place to host get-togethers for roving violent mounted gangs.
The nearest one is in Killeen, 50 miles down the road. And the gangs there tend to dress all in camo and come with heavy artillery.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
Now with actual link.
How awesome is it that these gangs are referred to as OMGs by law enforcement?
Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs and Photos

Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs (OMGs) are organizations whose members use their motorcycle clubs as conduits for criminal enterprises. OMGs are highly structured criminal organizations whose members engage in criminal activities such as violent crime, weapons trafficking, and drug trafficking. There are more than 300 active OMGs within the United States, ranging in size from single chapters with five or six members to hundreds of chapters with thousands of members worldwide. The Hells Angels, Mongols, Bandidos, Outlaws, and Sons of Silence pose a serious national domestic threat and conduct the majority of criminal activity linked to OMGs, especially activity relating to drug-trafficking and, more specifically, to cross-border drug smuggling. Because of their transnational scope, these OMGs are able to coordinate drug smuggling operations in partnership with major international drug-trafficking organizations (DTOs).
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

First round of mugshots released.

Possible police-targeted violence coming:
[Waco Police spokesman Patrick] Swanton said law enforcement agencies began receiving intelligence reports Sunday night that a "green light" had been put out on officers in uniforms by several of the gangs. A "green light" is a gang-sactioned go-ahead to kill.

Members of of the Waco Police Department, Texas Rangers and Texas Department of Public Safety remained on the scene heavily armed with military-style rifles and other weaponry. There also appeared to be officers clad in gilly suits on the roof of the Twin Peaks restaurants.

"We are on high alert," Swanton said. "We encourage those individuals not to bring criminal activity to Waco, but let it be know, if they do, we are ready."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:
Now with actual link.
Second one's name in that lineup is "Bohar Crump". Best made-up name, ever! Or maybe it's an anagram. But for what?! Crobar Hump? Broham Crup?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Broach Rump
Rumba Porch
Arbor Chump
Camphor Rub
Champ Burro
Mr Bra Pouch
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

Coincidentally TCM had some biker movies a couple of days ago - Hells Angels on Wheels ( with Jack Nicholson as 'Poet'), The Wild One (Marlon Brando), The Born Losers ('Billy Jack' and a very cute female lead named?), The Glory Stompers (Dennis Hopper)....

All a bit tame and poorly made (except for the Brando one) but fun in a cheesy time warp way. I watched, over the years maybe a couple of dozen '60s and '70s biker movies for their weirdly antiseptic and corny portrayals of biker life but ...

That stuff in Waco? $h1t just got real. Why can't real life be like the movies where fists fly but you lived, you walked away.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

How my aunt was talking to me today, I thought this shootout happened a few towns over :? Now, I'm thinking she got "things" messed up again and only gave me parts of a story. Seeing how I don't get the local newspaper or listen to local TV news, I didn't question her retelling. She seemed so perplexed as to how a police station could detain so many people at once.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I read an interview with a biker who said that this beef started because of the "Texas" patch, called a rocker, on the bottom of the back of the Cossack's jackets. The Banditos have been wearing that rocker for decades and it symbolizes that the state of Texas is Bandito territory. Other groups can form motorcycle clubs, but they have to ask the Banditos for permission and they most certainly cannot wear a Texas rocker. The Cossacks have been around for a long time and have been adding a lot of hardcore bikers to their numbers. Recently they decided to say "screw it" and added the Texas rocker to their jackets. That is a bold move and now either the Banditos or the Cossacks are going to have to back down. The bad blood that came from those rockers made the Twin Peaks biker event a seriously bad idea. Law officials knew what was brewing between the two over that rocker and did not want a lot of them getting together.

So now these guys are going to be gunning for each other as long as they are both wearing the rocker.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

McNutt wrote:I read an interview with a biker who said that this beef started because of the "Texas" patch, called a rocker, on the bottom of the back of the Cossack's jackets. The Banditos have been wearing that rocker for decades and it symbolizes that the state of Texas is Bandito territory. Other groups can form motorcycle clubs, but they have to ask the Banditos for permission and they most certainly cannot wear a Texas rocker. The Cossacks have been around for a long time and have been adding a lot of hardcore bikers to their numbers. Recently they decided to say "screw it" and added the Texas rocker to their jackets. That is a bold move and now either the Banditos or the Cossacks are going to have to back down. The bad blood that came from those rockers made the Twin Peaks biker event a seriously bad idea. Law officials knew what was brewing between the two over that rocker and did not want a lot of them getting together.

So now these guys are going to be gunning for each other as long as they are both wearing the rocker.
What a great microcosm of how stupid shit amongst fundamentally similar populations leads to the fiercest (and most idiotic) conflicts.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Yes, this does seem like it's really dumb. I'm not sure what sort of an impact two clubs with the same rocker would have on the business interests of those clubs. If the Cossacks start wearing Texas rockers, how does that hurt the Banditos? I think they just see it as a sign of disrespect, and apparently that's enough motivation to start killing people.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

I did a search on Texas rockers and the only pics I could find were of ZZ Top.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Redfive wrote:

I just noticed the guy on the right is sporting an SS badge too. As a Texas resident, if I see these guys enter the place I'm eating, I'm immediately asking for the check.

BTW - A member of an outlaw club did an Ask Me Anything on Reddit. Interesting reading.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

McNutt wrote:
Redfive wrote:

I just noticed the guy on the right is sporting an SS badge too. As a Texas resident, if I see these guys enter the place I'm eating, I'm immediately asking for the check.

BTW - A member of an outlaw club did an Ask Me Anything on Reddit. Interesting reading.
And the bandana means...

Wikipedia wrote:Yellow: Watersports

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

McNutt wrote:I just noticed the guy on the right is sporting an SS badge too.
From the internets:
Frequently, additional patches may involve symbols, such as the use of the Nazi version swastikas or the SS death's head. These generally do not indicate Nazi sympathies, but serve to express the outlaw biker's total rejection of social constraints, and desire for the shock value among those who fail to understand the biker way.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I have to think there are better, less-likely-to-be-mistaken-for-genocidal ways to shock and be non-conformist (in a conforming way). That might also explain the bandana.

Though I believe it's bullshit. The tattoo is probably from prison Aryan brotherhood affiliation. The patch is probably some award or rank. Or maybe that's just what us "normals" are supposed to think. Hmmm.

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote:I have to think there are better, less-likely-to-be-mistaken-for-genocidal ways to shock and be non-conformist (in a conforming way). That might also explain the bandana.
I dunno..."I :romance-heartbeating: genocide" is pretty high on the shock value list in my book at least.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

You've got the Road Captain and the Sgt at Arms in that pic. Is that a leadership meeting? If so, it makes me wonder about the tall guy with nothing on the front of his vest.

Or are those secondary "officers" talking with a few members/recruits. Love to see the other vests in that group...from a distance.

http://www.answers.com/Q/Motorcycle_club_members_ranks
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

All of my knowledge comes from Sons of Anarchy and the Reddit AMA, but I'd say he's a prospect.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The tats could also be a remnant of a stay in the prison system. Lots of white guys will join the skinhead/Aryan groups in prison, despite not actually being the least bit racist. They do it simply for protection - if you aren't in a group, you're a target.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote:The tats could also be a remnant of a stay in the prison system. Lots of white guys will join the skinhead/Aryan groups in prison, despite not actually being the least bit racist. They do it simply for protection - if you aren't in a group, you're a target.
My guess as well.
LawBeefaroni wrote: The tattoo is probably from prison Aryan brotherhood affiliation.

MYT
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Smoove_B wrote:
McNutt wrote:I just noticed the guy on the right is sporting an SS badge too.
From the internets:
Frequently, additional patches may involve symbols, such as the use of the Nazi version swastikas or the SS death's head. These generally do not indicate Nazi sympathies, but serve to express the outlaw biker's total rejection of social constraints, and desire for the shock value among those who fail to understand the biker way.
So they totally reject social constraints... by joining a social club, which no doubt has its own set of constraints.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

This outlaw mentality is so foreign to me. I guess for some the desire to not conform with The Man is strong enough to adopt a lifestyle that is not going to bring them wealth and will most likely place them in mortal danger and in prison. I read somewhere that the majority of drug dealers make less than minimum wage, yet they still risk everything for that money and the hopes that they will advance enough to be the guy driving the Cadillac. I don't think biker gangs have such dreams because they know it's not going to happen. They're leader probably lives in a modest house. The kind of house they could easily afford with a job and without looking over their shoulder.