FIFA is corrupt...

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

tru1cy

FIFA is corrupt...

Post by tru1cy »

Surprising no one. Several arrested in Switzerland and being extradited to the US

Also, the Swiss are opening an investigation in the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cup. I see the 2018 World Cup moving forward, but the disaster 2022 World Cup in Qatar I have a feeling is going to be moved

*corrected - Thanks, El Guapo
Last edited by tru1cy on Wed May 27, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: FIFA is corrupt...

Post by $iljanus »

Can't wait for FIFA 2016, now including the new bribery and racketeering minigame!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

$iljanus wrote:Can't wait for FIFA 2016, now including the new bribery and racketeering minigame!
It would be beyond amazing if a developer included that as an Easter Egg or side quest somehow.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

tru1cy wrote:Surprising no one. Several arrested in Sweden and being extradited to the US

Also, the Swiss are opening an investigation in the awarding of the 2018 and 2022 World Cup. I see the 2018 World Cup moving forward, but the disaster 2022 World Cup in Qatar I have a feeling is going to be moved
FWIW they were arrested in Switzerland, not Sweden.

It's probably not a great sign for Blatter's reputation that the sub-header for many of the articles I've seen on this is "Why Wasn't Sepp Blatter arrested?"

This is pretty amazing though. I figured FIFA was immune to any sort of accountability.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

When you use our banks for bribes, we can get ya! I'm surprised the Swiss were willing to help out.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

John Oliver should be happy.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moliere wrote:John Oliver should be happy.
That was awesome.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Moliere wrote:John Oliver should be happy.
All fans of justice and common decency should be happy.

Though I am eager to see Oliver's response to this in light of his earlier bit.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was so sure that FIFA was untouchable that I didn't even bat an eye when they announced the 2022 World Cup would be held in December.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote:I was so sure that FIFA was untouchable that I didn't even bat an eye when they announced the 2022 World Cup would be held in December.
This, as well as the Swiss probe specifically into the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids, dramatically increases the odds that the 2022 World Cup (at least) does not happen in Qatar.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote:When you use our banks for bribes, we can get ya!
It doesn't hurt that we suck at soccer too.

But honestly, it's great to see. The mountains of inefficiency and inequity that large scale graft creates, just to enrich a handful on individuals, is disgusting.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

FIFA Frantically Announces 2015 Summer World Cup In United States
Everyone at FIFA is certain that the 2015 World Cup in America will be a tremendous success, and billions of fans from around the world will, in just a few hours, come together to enjoy this wonderful display of soccer over the coming weeks.” At press time, the U.S. national team was leading defending champions Germany in the World Cup’s opening match after being awarded 12 penalties in the game’s first three minutes.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
naednek

Post by naednek »

Enlarge Image
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Rip

Post by Rip »

Guess who is right in the middle of it?
Soccer’s governing body, which donated between $50,001 and $100,000 to the Clinton Global Initiative and partnered with the former president’s foundation on other projects, is entangled in an international corruption investigation spearheaded by the U.S. Department of Justice, which spans countries from Qatar and Russia to Switzerland and the United States.
Bill Clinton served as the honorary chairman for the U.S. bid committee, which promoted America as the best place to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cup events.

While he failed to secure the deal, his charity won in another respect.

In 2014, the Qatar 2022 Supreme Committee, set up by the Qatar government to ensure a successful FIFA world cup, awarded the Clinton Foundation between $250,000 and $500,000; the State of Qatar donated between $1 million and $5 million.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05 ... oundation/

:whistle:
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

OMG, along with FIFA, the following ALSO donated between $50k and $100k to the Clinton Global Initiative?

-Bloomberg, LP
-Best Buy
-The Dyson Foundation
-eBay
-General Motors
-Gibson Guitar Corporation
-Heineken
-Hilton Worldwide
-IKEA
-Kingdom of Bahrain
-LEGO
-Sony Electronics
-and 478 other organizations and individuals at this donation level

Obviously, this vast international conspiracy of charitable giving must be stopped.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

OMG, along with FIFA, the following ALSO donated between $50k and $100k to the Clinton Global Initiative?

-Bloomberg, LP
-Best Buy
-The Dyson Foundation
-eBay
-General Motors
-Gibson Guitar Corporation
-Heineken
-Hilton Worldwide
-IKEA
-Kingdom of Bahrain
-LEGO
-Sony Electronics
-and 478 other organizations and individuals at this donation level

Obviously, this vast international conspiracy of charitable giving must be stopped.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

F'ing IKEA. Rip, if this doesn't make you take an axe to that futon in your family room, I don't know what will!
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:F'ing IKEA. Rip, if this doesn't make you take an axe to that futon in your family room, I don't know what will!
IKEA... striving for world domination one living room set at a time.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rip wrote:Guess who is right in the middle of it?
Soccer’s governing body, which donated between $50,001 and $100,000 to the Clinton Global Initiative and partnered with the former president’s foundation on other projects, is entangled in an international corruption investigation spearheaded by the U.S. Department of Justice, which spans countries from Qatar and Russia to Switzerland and the United States.
Bill Clinton served as the honorary chairman for the U.S. bid committee, which promoted America as the best place to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cup events.

While he failed to secure the deal, his charity won in another respect.

In 2014, the Qatar 2022 Supreme Committee, set up by the Qatar government to ensure a successful FIFA world cup, awarded the Clinton Foundation between $250,000 and $500,000; the State of Qatar donated between $1 million and $5 million.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/05 ... oundation/

:whistle:
So what's the theory here? That Clinton sandbagged the US bid so Qatar could win it?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Bill al Clinton bin Laden!
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Unfortunately, I'm pessimistic these arrests change anything in FIFA. Especially since ol' Sepp Blatter should be reelected as FIFA President tomorrow.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote:Unfortunately, I'm pessimistic these arrests change anything in FIFA. Especially since ol' Sepp Blatter should be reelected as FIFA President tomorrow.
Agreed, so long as Blatter remains in charge. The upshot is that U.S. authorities stressed that the investigations aren't over, and the Swiss are starting their own inquiry. I would hope that the game plan is to get one or more of the arrestees to roll over on Blatter to support an eventual indictment of him. After all, it's unclear what the value is of a FIFA headshot like this without getting Blatter.

We'll see, though.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pack it in, guys. We can't win where Putin is against us.
Some, like British Prime Minister David Cameron, have called for an end to Sepp Blatter's presidency at FIFA.

Not Russian President Vladimir Putin, though. He stood firmly behind Blatter in comments posted Thursday on the Kremlin's website. And he suggested that politics has much to do with U.S. actions.
"Our American partners use their own methods for their ulterior purposes," Putin said, noting leaks by Snowden and WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange about American spying methods. "They are illegally persecuting people. I do not rule out the possibility that the same goes for this situation with FIFA."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote:Pack it in, guys. We can't win where Putin is against us.
Some, like British Prime Minister David Cameron, have called for an end to Sepp Blatter's presidency at FIFA.

Not Russian President Vladimir Putin, though. He stood firmly behind Blatter in comments posted Thursday on the Kremlin's website. And he suggested that politics has much to do with U.S. actions.
"Our American partners use their own methods for their ulterior purposes," Putin said, noting leaks by Snowden and WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange about American spying methods. "They are illegally persecuting people. I do not rule out the possibility that the same goes for this situation with FIFA."
His courage in speaking out against this injustice shows the wisdom of FIFA picking Russia to be the host of the 2018 World Cup...
Black lives matter!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$iljanus wrote:
hepcat wrote:F'ing IKEA. Rip, if this doesn't make you take an axe to that futon in your family room, I don't know what will!
Between IKEA and LEGO, it should be easy to build a case.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:
$iljanus wrote:
:lol:

The end will come when key targets are stumbling barefooted in the dark of their living rooms, step on a mysteriously placed brick, then as they hop in pain stumble and crack their head on the corner of their REGISSÖR table. Insidious.
Black lives matter!

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:
$iljanus wrote:
I see what you did there...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

pr0ner wrote: ol' Sepp Blatter
Worst. Name. Ever.

Unless you're a villain in a summer blockbuster movie, then it's a FANTASTIC name.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Worst. Name. Ever.

Unless you're a villain in a summer blockbuster movie, then it's a FANTASTIC name.
He *is* an international supervillain, though.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

"alleged" :P
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:
Worst. Name. Ever.

Probably has a mountain chalet with a helicopter pad and armed guards patrolling on skis and snowmobiles when they're not sharpening their skills on the underground soccer field.
Black lives matter!

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

$iljanus wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:
Worst. Name. Ever.

Probably has a mountain chalet with a helicopter pad and armed guards patrolling on skis and snowmobiles when they're not sharpening their skills on the underground soccer field.
20 million net worth
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Officially. :wink:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote:Officially. :wink:
Considering how fast they can seize accounts now, he might actually be worth that as of today. Poor fellow.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Couldn't have happened to a slimier bunch - I guess it is "lucky" that laundering almost always involves fund transfers that eventually hits a bank in the US.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Putin is pissed, so now I'm glad we did it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nike
Nike rival Adidas is one of the top FIFA sponsors, paying the body that oversees the World Cup an estimated $31.6 million a year. But Nike has its own separate deals with national teams and soccer organizations, including Brazil. And that contract puts NIke squarely in the middle of the FIFA criminal case.

The indictments unsealed Wednesday don't name Nike by name. Instead they refer to "sportswear company E" in one indictment and "sportswear company A" in another indictment as having gotten the Brazilian team sponsorship deal in 1996. And Nike is the company that got the deal in 1996 to sponsor the team and supply it with soccer shoes and uniforms.

Nike (NKE) issued a statement Wednesday saying it is very concerned about the allegations of corruption against FIFA officials and that it strongly opposes any form of manipulation or bribery.
To get the deal with the Brazilian national team, the unnamed sportswear company had to deal with the Traffic Group, a sports marketing firm whose founder Jose Hawilla has plead guilty to bribing FIFA officials in order to become the middleman between the organization and various broadcasters and sponsors who wanted to strike deals with the soccer organizations.
The indictment said that contract called for the company to pay $160 million to the Brazilian team over 10 years.

"Sportswear Company A agreed to pay a Traffic affiliate with a Swiss bank account an additional $40 million in base compensation on top of the $160 million it was obligated to pay," according to the indictment. " It said Traffic also billed the company for an additional $30 million in fees between 1996 and 1999.
The indictment does not say that those payments by the sportswear company to the Traffic Group were illegal or were a bribe. But it does accuse Traffic Group and Hawilla of using the money to make illegal bribes to top FIFA officials.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote:Putin is pissed, so now I'm glad we did it.
He has vowed to play for the Russian team at the 2018 World Cup in response. Immediately the odds-on favorite to win the Golden Boot and the Golden Ball, it is rumored that he will play as both goal keeper and center-forward.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He has insisted, however, that the Russian team be skins.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Nike - prepare your Foreign Corrupt Practices Act settlement engines!