FIFA is corrupt...

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Enough

Re: FIFA is corrupt...

Post by Enough »

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Good (English-language) article in the German newspaper Die Zeit: Why Sepp Blatter deserves our support.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
alles blank
:D
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

AWS260 wrote:Good (English-language) article in the German newspaper Die Zeit: Why Sepp Blatter deserves our support.
I'm getting a blank screen under the headline. Is that the joke or is my browser just not rendering it?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

I thought they nailed it on Seite 2.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Ah, NM. I guess that's the joke. Stupid IE.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Blatter won of course... Sadly
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
mori

Post by mori »

Not surprising that Blatter won reelection. The way the organization is set up and run is made for this sort of corruption. I wonder if UEFA will boycott one or both of the upcoming World Cups if reform in FIFA is not carried out. FIFA is also doing everything to eliminate the USA from the audience by holding a World Cup in the middle of the NFL season.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Late in the NFL season. It will be during Thanksgiving and the playoff hunt. No one in the US will care about association football.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:Late in the NFL season. It will be during Thanksgiving and the playoff hunt. No one in the US will care about association football.
Because people can't follow 2 sports at once?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

mori wrote:Not surprising that Blatter won reelection. The way the organization is set up and run is made for this sort of corruption. I wonder if UEFA will boycott one or both of the upcoming World Cups if reform in FIFA is not carried out. FIFA is also doing everything to eliminate the USA from the audience by holding a World Cup in the middle of the NFL season.
If FIFA doesn't make huge public efforts to clean up their act I can see UEFA boycotting Qatar. Moving the Cup to later in the year puts a month long hole in both their regular seasons and the Champions League. The NHL runs into the same issue with the Olympics, and that's only for two weeks.
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

The fact that Blatter got reelected is disgusting. At this point I really hope some of the people who have been arrested flip on him and he's sitting in prison during the 2022 disaster cup.

If this were a sports head in the US the public call for him to resign would be massive. There's no way he would be able to stay in power let alone win a reelection.
FTE
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Moliere wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Late in the NFL season. It will be during Thanksgiving and the playoff hunt. No one in the US will care about association football.
Because people can't follow 2 sports at once?
+1.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah, they got like during the last one that it wasn't in June when baseball, hockey, and basketball were going on!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

hepcat wrote:He has insisted, however, that the Russian team be skins.
Ha, yeah, I was surprised that he didn't do that interview while shirtless, or killing/riding a bear, or something.
Conform or be cast out!
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Awesome, especially that last bit - but that's really where he excels, isn't it? ...that "call to action" he always ends with.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Smoking gun for Blatter's top lieutenant: the letter in which South Africa's football association asks him to facilitate a bribe to the head of CONCACAF (in much more genteel terms, of course).

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

FIFA's response:
FIFA Statement on the South African Diaspora Legacy Programme
(FIFA.com) 02 Jun 2015

In 2007, as part of the 2010 FIFA World Cup™, the South African Government approved a USD 10m project to support the African diaspora in Caribbean countries as part of the World Cup legacy.

At the request of the South African Government, and in agreement with the South African Football Association (SAFA), FIFA was asked to process the project’s funding by withholding USD 10m from the Local Organising Committee’s (LOC) operational budget and using that to finance the Diaspora Legacy Programme.

SAFA instructed FIFA that the Diaspora Legacy Programme should be administered and implemented directly by the President of CONCACAF who at that time was Deputy Chairman of the Finance Committee and who should act as the fiduciary of the Diaspora Legacy Programme Fund of USD 10m.

The payments totalling USD 10m were authorised by the then chairman of the Finance Committee and executed in accordance with the Organisation Regulations of FIFA. FIFA did not incur any costs as a result of South Africa’s request because the funds belonged to the LOC. Both the LOC and SAFA adhered to the necessary formalities for the budgetary amendment.

Neither the Secretary General Jérôme Valcke nor any other member of FIFA’s senior management were involved in the initiation, approval and implementation of the above project.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The letter is not by itself a smoking gun. You also need some proof that the $10 million was largely or entirely spent on personal purchases - that's the smoking gun.

Is it possible to start placing bets on the 2022 World Cup not happening in Qatar? I honestly think there is about a 5% chance of it happening in Qatar at this point, though that would go up if Blatter is not eventually indicted.
Black Lives Matter.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

El Guapo wrote:The letter is not by itself a smoking gun. You also need some proof that the $10 million was largely or entirely spent on personal purchases - that's the smoking gun.

Is it possible to start placing bets on the 2022 World Cup not happening in Qatar? I honestly think there is about a 5% chance of it happening in Qatar at this point, though that would go up if Blatter is not eventually indicted.
I disagree on the Qatar Cup. I don't think it will be changed. It's already set, preparations are under way and no one is really calling for it to be moved (The biggest complaint is the winter cup, which interferes with every major Football league). What the hope is is that underhanded dealing won't occur with the next cup.
FTE
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scraper wrote:
El Guapo wrote:The letter is not by itself a smoking gun. You also need some proof that the $10 million was largely or entirely spent on personal purchases - that's the smoking gun.

I disagree on the Qatar Cup. I don't think it will be changed. It's already set, preparations are under way and no one is really calling for it to be moved (The biggest complaint is the winter cup, which interferes with every major Football league). What the hope is is that underhanded dealing won't occur with the next cup.
There is just a shit ton of negative press on the Qatar Cup now, and this is still early days. As at least some of the high level FIFA executives indicted last week strike plea bargains and cooperate - and as the Swiss probe specifically directed at the 2018 and 2022 cup awarding processes gets underway - more is going to come out. On top of that other countries (and god forbid for FIFA, the European Commission) may feel compelled to start their own inquiries.

It seems unlikely that there was not massive corruption involved in the awarding of the Qatar Cup, and it also seems unlikely that said corruption is not going to be publicly exposed. On top of that, there are only going to be more stories about massive human rights violations in Qatar.

Now, lots of powerful soccer people (including UEFA) don't want to play the World Cup in the winter anyway. In addition, association with the Qatar Cup is gradually going to become more and more toxic for corporate sponsors. Seven years is a *long* time to withstand the kind of pressure that's coming.

Now, Blatter has a vested interest in pretending that everything is fine with the Qatar Cup, and he's in charge, so if he doesn't go down then he may just insist on that Qatar Cup regardless of how bad things get. But if he goes down (which, if it happens, would probably happen within a year or two) it seems unpossible that his successor would not re-pick the 2022 Cup.
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Blatter is resigning. Just saw it live-tweeted from FIFA's press conference: https://twitter.com/richard_conway.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: It seems unlikely that there was not massive corruption involved in the awarding of the Qatar Cup, and it also seems unlikely that said corruption is not going to be publicly exposed.
It's like the Olympic Games. Yes, the choice was based on bribery and corruption. But so would have any other choice. It's not like other countries got unfairly beaten out, they just didn't pay enough.

El Guapo wrote: Now, lots of powerful soccer people (including UEFA) don't want to play the World Cup in the winter anyway. In addition, association with the Qatar Cup is gradually going to become more and more toxic for corporate sponsors. Seven years is a *long* time to withstand the kind of pressure that's coming.

Now, Blatter has a vested interest in pretending that everything is fine with the Qatar Cup, and he's in charge, so if he doesn't go down then he may just insist on that Qatar Cup regardless of how bad things get. But if he goes down (which, if it happens, would probably happen within a year or two) it seems unpossible that his successor would not re-pick the 2022 Cup.
This is more compelling and I think if it gets moved it will be because of a combination of Blatter getting pinched/kicked/whatever and UEFA and sponsors threatening to pull out.

Although I have no idea what kind of contracts have been signed and what kind of penalties there are for all sides for changing the venue. Does Qatar get a billions dollarz in remedies?

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

AWS260 wrote:Blatter is resigning. Just saw it live-tweeted from FIFA's press conference: https://twitter.com/richard_conway.
Excellent!

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

AWS260 wrote:Blatter is resigning. Just saw it live-tweeted from FIFA's press conference: https://twitter.com/richard_conway.
:shock:

Holy shit. I didn't think it would happen *that* fast, and I didn't think he would resign without a pending indictment. I wonder how that shook out.

At least he'll have plenty of time to take in screenings of United Passions.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
El Guapo wrote: Now, lots of powerful soccer people (including UEFA) don't want to play the World Cup in the winter anyway. In addition, association with the Qatar Cup is gradually going to become more and more toxic for corporate sponsors. Seven years is a *long* time to withstand the kind of pressure that's coming.

This is more compelling and I think if it gets moved it will be because of a combination of Blatter getting pinched/kicked/whatever and UEFA and sponsors threatening to pull out.

Although I have no idea what kind of contracts have been signed and what kind of penalties there are for all sides for changing the venue. Does Qatar get a billions dollarz in remedies?
Whatever contracts were signed are not going to stand in the way. Though it would be the greatest thing in the world if Qatar sued for breach of contract because FIFA refused to comply with the terms of the bribes.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I wonder if a Blatter indictment is closer than people think. Or possibly it's inevitable enough that he needs to lawyer up and focus on his defense on a full time basis.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoa, that was quick.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote:I wonder if a Blatter indictment is closer than people think. Or possibly it's inevitable enough that he needs to lawyer up and focus on his defense on a full time basis.
He wants to spend more time with his family. Assuming his family is a giant fireplace and thousands of documents.

Maybe he thinks the pursuit won't be as vigorous if he's no longer head of FIFA?
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MYT
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

El Guapo wrote:I wonder if a Blatter indictment is closer than people think. Or possibly it's inevitable enough that he needs to lawyer up and focus on his defense on a full time basis.
I always thought he would stay on as long as possible just to help with the cover up. Once he resigns he loses any ability to continue the cover up. Also, if I'm reading his resignation statement right they won't hold a re-election until December 2015 at the earliest.
FTE
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I guess the preparation of various chalets in non-extradition countries is finally complete so it's the perfect time for him to "retire".
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if he found out MI6 had already dispatched James Bond?
He won. Period.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I think he's spending time looking for an excellent criminal defense attorney. After the report by the NYT, that scared him.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I hear the Ecuadoran embassies are nice this time of year.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote:

Holy shit. I didn't think it would happen *that* fast, and I didn't think he would resign without a pending indictment. I wonder how that shook out.

Something had to come to light (at least behind closed doors) because just last week he was defiant and in charge. Hell, he just ran for president again when he could have simply stayed out of it.

Now he's giving up voluntarily? Either something big is coming or someone with leverage used it or both.
Jag

Post by Jag »

AMERICA!
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

:clap: :dance:

I have a feeling sponsors and UEFA had a lot to do with this
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote:
El Guapo wrote:

Something had to come to light (at least behind closed doors) because just last week he was defiant and in charge. Hell, he just ran for president again when he could have simply stayed out of it.

Now he's giving up voluntarily? Either something big is coming or someone with leverage used it or both.
A friend of mine was speculating that FIFA didn't want Blatter to resign just before the election, because it wanted time to help ensure a suitably corrupt successor. If he resigned last Wednesday someone more legitimate might have wound up winning on Friday.

That's pure speculation, of course.
Black Lives Matter.