NAACP leader has been lying about her race

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

NAACP leader has been lying about her race

Post by McNutt »

Story

The head of the Spokane NAACP doesn't seem to have been honest about her race. She's white and has been presenting herself as a black person. Outrage ensues.

Recently I have been educated that an individual has the right to choose their gender. If a man wants to be a woman than we should refer to that person as "she." Does the same consideration apply to those who choose to be another race? Should we refer to Ms. Dolezal as black?
Jeff V

Re: NAACP leader has been lying about her race

Post by Jeff V »

McNutt wrote:Does the same consideration apply to those who choose to be another race?
I thought we answered that back when Michael Jackson was still alive? I still remember the Bloom County comic -- little Wendell had purchased a "Michael Jackson Caucasian Conversion Kit."
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

I read this earlier today, and the whole thing is pretty bizarre. Clearly, if this woman has been identifying herself as Black when she has no Black blood in her, there are more serious mental issues involved than merely a choice.

Would you choose to be Black in today's America? I know I wouldn't.

The other issue is why her parents are choosing this particular moment to out her (assuming that's what they are doing).

I'll be following this closely. :pop:
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

tgb wrote: Would you choose to be Black in today's America? I know I wouldn't.
I can think of numerous hipsters and wannabe hipsters who would do so because it would make them feel "special". Never underestimate the desire for attention in some folks.
He won. Period.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

People could also say the same thing about being a woman. "Who would choose to be a woman in a man's world?" And I'm very serious to know the attitudes about people over race being decided by the individual.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I don't think racial identity and sexual/gender identity are really comparable.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
morlac

Post by morlac »

tgb wrote:I read this earlier today, and the whole thing is pretty bizarre. Clearly, if this woman has been identifying herself as Black when she has no Black blood in her, there are more serious mental issues involved than merely a choice.

Would you choose to be Black in today's America? I know I wouldn't.

The other issue is why her parents are choosing this particular moment to out her (assuming that's what they are doing).

I'll be following this closely. :pop:

Depends. If I was looking for a small business loan it might be advantageous. Or maybe a scholarship, just ask C. Thomas Howell. He got that and a hot girl!
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Considering her parents adopted 4 black children, Im going to guess she's black by nurture not nature. I can see how that could affect a person's perception of themselves. Still, its a very bizarre situation.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Yeah, this has been all over my facebook feed. Really, looking at her she pulled off a very good redbone. I mean it's weird in a creepy way
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm pretending to be Norwegian right now!

I don't actually understand the ramifications of this. My first instinct is "who cares" so I must be missing something.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Maybe she's not black, but she does look Irish to me, which is certainly not 'white'.

Or are we not doing that anymore?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

By all accounts, she did a good job within the NAACP. It doesn't appear that she was doing this for personal gain. I'm guessing she's a little off keel in the mental department.
He won. Period.
Jag

Post by Jag »

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

It reminds me of the woman who claimed to be a 9-11 survivor and did a lot of good for the 9-11 survivor network. Then it was discovered that she was in Spain on 9/11.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GreenGoo wrote:I don't actually understand the ramifications of this. My first instinct is "who cares" so I must be missing something.
Look at all the crazy things she did. Lying about her father and sons. Lying about her hair. Lying about being a victim of hate crimes. Lying about being a victim of child abuse.

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I laughed...too much at that....man thats funny. I guess a lot of kids wont get that though. Man I need to watch that movie for the 30th time or so...."put ....on...the glasses!!!!"
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

The NAACP came out with a statement saying, "One's racial identity is not a qualifying criteria or disqualifying standard for NAACP leadership." Odd, then, that it is for their scholarships.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I told you gingers didn't have souls!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moliere wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:I don't actually understand the ramifications of this. My first instinct is "who cares" so I must be missing something.
Look at all the crazy things she did. Lying about her father and sons. Lying about her hair. Lying about being a victim of hate crimes. Lying about being a victim of child abuse.
Meh. So she's a liar. I'm lying right now.

Ok, maybe I feel bad for the people that have her in their lives, because being lied to sucks. Still, I'm not following how this is news that people (in general) care about.

Next you'll be telling me a middle aged woman lied about her age.

On the surface "She lied about her race" is literally nothing to me. Now if under the surface we find out she did it for personal gain in some way, then ok, that's a shitty thing to do. If she did it because she's crazy and/or social reasons, meh.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

McNutt wrote:It reminds me of the woman who claimed to be a 9-11 survivor and did a lot of good for the 9-11 survivor network. Then it was discovered that she was in Spain on 9/11.
Well, she survived, didn't she? :roll: I survived, too, which was pretty easy since I was in Utah at the time.

Not making light of 9/11 or survivors, BTW, so calm down in advance.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Didn't the woman who pretended to be a 9/11 survivor make some cash off her story though through interviews she was paid for? As well as claiming some of the benefits that were given out to the family of those who died during 9/11?
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

ImLawBoy wrote:I don't think racial identity and sexual/gender identity are really comparable.
Exactly. The Caitlin Jenner story (which is what I assume McNutt is alluding to) is not at all analogous.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

ImLawBoy wrote:I don't think racial identity and sexual/gender identity are really comparable.

I agree with this statement.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GreenGoo wrote:On the surface "She lied about her race" is literally nothing to me. Now if under the surface we find out she did it for personal gain in some way, then ok, that's a shitty thing to do. If she did it because she's crazy and/or social reasons, meh.
Making up stories about child abuse and being a victim of hate crimes tends to diminish stories from actual victims. Her personal gain is getting to be a celebrity activist and professor at a college teaching Africana studies.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Whether or not she benefited monetarily, a person who practices deceit on that level isn't someone I'd feel comfortable heading up my organization.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

tgb wrote:
Exactly. The Caitlin Jenner story (which is what I assume McNutt is alluding to) is not at all analogous.
I was actually thinking about Bradley/Chelsea Manning. That's when I first heard of someone being referred to as "she" when they were born a man.

But I'd like to hear why it's not analogous. A man wants to be a woman so we treat that person as a woman. A white person wants to be a black person, but we do not accept that.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It's funny, I didn't find out my mom was half-white until her sister told me after she died. Turns out that both my grandparents (her parents) were half white. My mom was real into being black, I guess that's why she didn't want people to know that she wasn't all black or something. I'd LOVE to ask her why she hid it from us (actually her whole family hid it from all 22 of us).

So I guess people can have a thing about being a race they really aren't. Also Spokane is not noted for an huge number of black people anyway.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

McNutt wrote:
tgb wrote:
I was actually thinking about Bradley/Chelsea Manning. That's when I first heard of someone being referred to as "she" when they were born a man.

But I'd like to hear why it's not analogous. A man wants to be a woman so we treat that person as a woman. A white person wants to be a black person, but we do not accept that.

It's not analogous because race != to gender. Why would you think it was analogous?? There's no case for that. I mean at the end of the day, are you having sex with a gender or a race???
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm talking about people wanting to identify as something they are not. We accept this for gender but not for race. I'm not saying that gender is = race, but why is it okay to adopt one but not the other?
Rip

Post by Rip »

Mighty white of you.

:twisted:
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

McNutt wrote:But I'd like to hear why it's not analogous. A man wants to be a woman so we treat that person as a woman. A white person wants to be a black person, but we do not accept that.
Race, outside of the obvious physical characteristics, is largely a social construct. Gender identity is more innate to a person.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

McNutt wrote:I'm talking about people wanting to identify as something they are not. We accept this for gender but not for race. I'm not saying that gender is = race, but why is it okay to adopt one but not the other?
Who is not accepting it? Also the transgender issue gets back into religion where the racial issue does not. I personally don't care, like GreenGoo. You can identify as Martian as far as I'm concerned.
Black Lives Matter
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

McNutt wrote:I'm talking about people wanting to identify as something they are not. We accept this for gender but not for race. I'm not saying that gender is = race, but why is it okay to adopt one but not the other?
Culture and heritage? Honestly, I find the whole situation as being weird, but again, for years there are stories of redbone (mix race ) posing as white to be afforded better opportunity, this I can understand.

What's she's doing just seems so weird. It's like the ultimate black face. maybe that's going to to far calling it black face
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Lorini wrote:Also the transgender issue gets back into religion where the racial issue does not.
Does it? Maybe with some people, but I imagine those people would fall back to religion on a lot of issues.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

White is the new black.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

ImLawBoy wrote:
McNutt wrote:But I'd like to hear why it's not analogous. A man wants to be a woman so we treat that person as a woman. A white person wants to be a black person, but we do not accept that.
Race, outside of the obvious physical characteristics, is largely a social construct. Gender identity is more innate to a person.
That's not what trans advocates say. They say that gender is a social construct.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Grifman wrote:
ImLawBoy wrote:
That's not what trans advocates say. They say that gender is a social construct.
Interesting. I won't pretend to be fully versed on their issues, and they would know better than I do. That said, I can see how you would say that gender roles are largely a social construct, but that gender identity itself is not. I think there's a distinction there.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

McNutt wrote:
Lorini wrote:Also the transgender issue gets back into religion where the racial issue does not.
Does it? Maybe with some people, but I imagine those people would fall back to religion on a lot of issues.
There's no real mention of race in the bible, unlike gender. You can stretch anything any which way, but the religious transgender outcry can be traced directly to the old testament.
Black Lives Matter
Enough

Post by Enough »

McNutt wrote:Story

The head of the Spokane NAACP doesn't seem to have been honest about her race. She's white and has been presenting herself as a black person. Outrage ensues.

Recently I have been educated that an individual has the right to choose their gender. If a man wants to be a woman than we should refer to that person as "she." Does the same consideration apply to those who choose to be another race? Should we refer to Ms. Dolezal as black?
You were only recently educated about that? Where they heck have you been the last fifty years bro?
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell