Mr Robot (TV)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Mr Robot (TV)

Post by hepcat »

I have to wonder what it would have been like if they'd had after shows 30 or 40 years ago. I'd love to have seen folks trying to hold a conversation around Dukes of Hazard or BJ and the Bear...
Covfefe!
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

hepcat wrote:I have to wonder what it would have been like if they'd had after shows 30 or 40 years ago. I'd love to have seen folks trying to hold a conversation around Dukes of Hazard or BJ and the Bear...
Even better would be after shows for Gillian's Island and of course the two best series ever, Mr. Ed and My Mother the Car.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

X-files would have rocked.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bam!
USA Network surprised “Mr. Robot” fans Sunday evening by dropping the first half of the show’s season two premiere three days early on various social media platforms and the network’s website.

USA embraced the ethos of the show about an anti-social computer hacker bent on battling evil in corporate America by “hacking” a previously scheduled Facebook Live Q&A session with key cast members. The first hour of the two-part premiere began to stream a few minutes into the session.

USA then let it be known via Twitter and other platforms that the hour would stream for a limited time via Twitter at 8:30 p.m. ET, Snapchat via the Buzzfeed Discover Channel at 8:45 p.m. and the “Mr. Robot” YouTube channel and via USANetwork.com at 9 p.m.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Binge watched season 1 on Amazon Video this weekend. Really enjoyed the show. One of my favorite scenes is when the hackers are watching the movie Hackers and making fun of the Tron data bases etc. Then someone makes the self referential comment about what a TV show about hackers would look like.

One of my only complaints is how easy everyone is to hack. This is especially true for employees who work for AllSafe. They should know not to put random CD's in their computer, not have their webcam covered, have tricky passwords, etc.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Don't know if everyone is caught up, but the episode from this week ("eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes") was one of the most insane things I've seen on a TV show. I'm also beginning to think Eliot is bonkers...like really, totally and completely bonkers and that much of what we've seen this season so far isn't what's really happening.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

He talks to his other self and you're still questioning whether he's bonkers? Hehe.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Have you seen this week's episode? Talking to (and seeing) his other self is one thing. This was a whole new level and that's why I'm now thinking some of what we've seen (places/locations) so far has been in his head the whole time. I also thought perhaps some of the insanity was drug related (from the first season). Now I'm not so sure.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can't trust this show to be truthful at any point...and I love it. That last episode was...well...wow. :shock:
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

This season the most dangerous person in the room is Joanna Wellick, as seen from a few episodes back as she explains why you should look into someone's eyes as you kill them to her conversation with Elliot in last night's episode.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What a crazy season. I waited until last night to watch the last two episodes of the season back-to-back and I'd say that was a good choice. From what I understand USA originally planned to air it that way last week but for some reason split it across two weeks (selling more ad time?). Regardless... I wasn't fully sold on the season but after the interrogation scene at the FBI with Dom:
Spoiler:
where she takes Darlene to the war room and reveals the whiteboard detailing everything the FBI knows
was pretty impressive. Apparently fsociety was not nearly as shadowy as they thought. Though who they had at the center (and Darlene's reaction) was a nice twist. I wasn't really sure where it was all going and I thought the ending was great - though quite a tease for Season 3.

Totally random, but I didn't realize that the actress playing Dom (Grace Gummer) is the daughter of Meryl Streep...but now that I do I totally see it. My mind was officially blown when I saw that she was Penny on American Horror Story Freak Show. :shock:
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I liked how they settled the status of Mr. Wellick at the end. And when Mrs Wellick was being pummeled I thought "Dude, that's just foreplay you poor deluded man." Seeing Fry Electronics at the end was a nice little touch for the geeks who notice that sort of thing.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I haven't watched and not sure if I will be able to warrant binge watching through USA streaming, which has been historically awful in quality. Did BD Wong make a reprisal? And did they explore that sidetrack at all? The show had almost me lost me until Malik's interaction with Wong where reality started to get lost in conceptual themes invited me down the rabbit hole.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

BD Wong is absolutely featured in this season and hopefully without spoiling things, a major player. Not someone you'll see every week, but every time he's on the screen it's an important exchange. This season was a major mind-f. I wasn't sure it would all come together, but I enjoyed it. You could absolutely spend your time watching less deserving TV.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I don't know why but this season didn't grab me like last. We have 7 episodes on the TiVo, and WILL watch them, but I have let 7 episodes build up on the TiVo...so meh...
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Season two was definitely a much slower burn, but it was still good. Not quite as good as the first season, but still quality. I'd be amazed if you sat down to start moving through those 7 and didn't feel motivated to binge-blast them out.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I finally got around to watching the last two episodes back to back over this weekend, and certainly enjoyed the ride of season 2 (though I didn't find it quite as absorbing as the first season).

One aspect I did find rather off-putting throughout this season, though: WTF was going on with the oddly sporadic censorship policy of the USA Nework? The first episode was seemingly completely uncensored with f-bombs aplenty, several c-bombs remained uncensored in later episodes, yet the f-word became stubbornly verboten throughout every other episode but the first. Given that it's a cable show anyway (meaning they need not worry about running afoul of the FCC), it seemed highly illogical and distracting.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I also found that strange. I don't believe they were used that much, but they were definitely there more than once throughout the season. Sometimes muted out, sometimes not. I have to wonder if it's either a purposeful effort on the writers' parts, or if someone is asleep at the wheel in practices and standards.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The leading theory I've seen is that the governing standards or rules allow a TV series to use a certain number of curse words - like there's a quota for each word. So they can say the F word twice, call someone a see-you-next-Tuesday once, etc...

They don't treat it as a per episode basis but rather they can broadcast the word so many times (maybe only once or twice) uncensored for the entire season. After their seasonal allowance is exceeded, they have to censor future use. Makes no sense and it is rather jarring.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Can you exchange two shits for a fuck? Maybe eight damns? What about hyphenated curse words? Do they cost twice as much? I need to know these things! :wink:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have no doubts there are people in meetings where this exact type of exchange is proposed. Dream job.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The curse word stock market may get a boost after tonight's presidential debate.
Covfefe!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote:The leading theory I've seen is that the governing standards or rules allow a TV series to use a certain number of curse words - like there's a quota for each word. So they can say the F word twice, call someone a see-you-next-Tuesday once, etc...

They don't treat it as a per episode basis but rather they can broadcast the word so many times (maybe only once or twice) uncensored for the entire season. After their seasonal allowance is exceeded, they have to censor future use. Makes no sense and it is rather jarring.
I don't profess to any knowledge of the subject myself, but I always thought the governing standards of the FCC were only applicable to terrestrial stations. In which case, one would assume, they really only have to answer to their advertisers. Still, to your point, one could certainly envision a meeting of swear-word administrators representing their corporate sponsors, all following some Byzantine doctrine that doles out various swear-words in piecemeal fashion. Come to think of it, that seems oddly apropos of E-corp.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just as an FYI - season 3 starts tonight.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

First 7 minutes are out there. Their Twitter account had it anyways.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:Just as an FYI - season 3 starts tonight.
Yea, thanks for the heads up. DVR is set and ready for whatever strangeness this season will bring.
Black lives matter!

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Ugh...they lost me after like four episodes last season...TiVo will dutifully grab this season and I will COMPEL myself to finish last season before starting this one.

I need early retirement to catch up on my TiVo backlog...
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Z-Corn wrote:Ugh...they lost me after like four episodes last season...TiVo will dutifully grab this season and I will COMPEL myself to finish last season before starting this one.

I made it through two episodes of S2. But once lost, I'm gone for good.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

The Meal wrote:
Z-Corn wrote:Ugh...they lost me after like four episodes last season...TiVo will dutifully grab this season and I will COMPEL myself to finish last season before starting this one.

Yeah, I stopped after a couple of episodes in S2 as well and the rest sat on my DVR for months. When I saw S3 kick in on the DVR, I cancelled it and nuked the backlog. Doubt I'll get back to it. :(
-mf
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Meal wrote: But once lost, I'm gone for good.
That's me and TV shows, in general. Orville is already stacking up on my TiVo.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote:Orville is already stacking up on my TiVo.
That's a shame. I've powered through all five episodes in the past week and itching for more.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
The Meal wrote:

Yeah, I stopped after a couple of episodes in S2 as well and the rest sat on my DVR for months. When I saw S3 kick in on the DVR, I cancelled it and nuked the backlog. Doubt I'll get back to it. :(

Maybe I'll have the strength to do the same...
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

1. Love watching Mr. Robot just for the opening credits alone.

2. So Mr. Robot went there with Trump. Sadly, it was possible...
Black lives matter!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Didn't realize how long it's been since this thread was current!

Season 4 will premiere Sunday, October 6 at 10/9c.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess I'm the only one watching? The whole season has been really great, but last night's episode ("Method Not Allowed") was one of the best in the series. Masterfully executed and filmed, IMHO.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Really? No one else? This last episode ("Proxy Authentication Required") might have been the best one of the entire series. Between the acting and how it was filmed, I was rather stunned. I also have no idea how there are 6 episodes left, but this show is delivering the goods. Believe the hype.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Sorry, they lost me at the second season.

Have they done a musical episode yet? THAT I'd watch.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not yet, but there are six episodes left - at this point, anything is possible!

Enlarge Image
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:29 am Really? No one else? This last episode ("Proxy Authentication Required") might have been the best one of the entire series. Between the acting and how it was filmed, I was rather stunned. I also have no idea how there are 6 episodes left, but this show is delivering the goods. Believe the hype.
Yeah, this one was stunning. Esmail continues to impress me with his willingness to take risks and play with the format to tell his story.
Montag

Post by Montag »

I agree. I was losing interest but was going to tough it out to the end, but this last episode was awesome. I like how it was a totally different style and I can see the play structure of the episode.
words