Mr Robot (TV)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Combustible Lemur

Re: Mr Robot (TV)

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Hooked
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

Have we seen anyone other than Elliot interact with Christian Slater's character? I can't remember.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Doomboy wrote:Have we seen anyone other than Elliot interact with Christian Slater's character? I can't remember.
When they were sitting in the bar I was wondering the same thing. I can only hope that is an intentional play by the writer to recognize Fight Club without Slater actually being a figment of Elliot's psychotic imagination. I'm trying to remember the initial F Society scene clearly but I can't.

Last night's episode left me a bit hollow. I found it hard to follow Elliot's theory on bugs and didn't flow well with paying attention to the show. Maybe I was tired or maybe that was intentional off. I don't know. Either way it didn't work for me. OtOH, Swede Interim CTO of Evil Corp Dude and Swede Interim CTO of Evil Corp Dude's wife had me totally interested in the hell was going on with them.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Doomboy wrote:Have we seen anyone other than Elliot interact with Christian Slater's character? I can't remember.
As they were about to leave the bar, every time the camera was focused on Eliot I was trying to see if there were one or two martini glasses left on the counter . The background was kinda blurred and I could only see one. It could have been the angle... or there could have been only one glass. (cue dramatic music)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just watched the first episode last night (courtesy of SyFy's airing of the first three this weekend) and I'm very impressed. Might be one of the best show openers I've seen in a long time. The actor that plays Elliot really sells the character. I'm glad you guys started this thread as I never in a million years would have been paying attention to look for a show on the USA Network. I think the last time we recorded shows from them was Monk.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Episode 4 is the first time you actually see Slaters character interact with anyone besides Elliot. The only problem is since we are seeing things through Elliots world view, Mr Robot is still an enigma. Very cool show, hard hitting and unforgiving.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

rshetts2 wrote:Episode 4 is the first time you actually see Slaters character interact with anyone besides Elliot. The only problem is since we are seeing things through Elliots world view, Mr Robot is still an enigma. Very cool show, hard hitting and unforgiving.
This episode also has
Spoiler:
a hell of a lot of hallucinations.
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

Yeah, I don't know how much of what we saw him doing was real at all. I think the key is to go back to the first episode and see if any of the hackers react to him when he introduces them. Then again, they might not be real either.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I was trying to make that point without spoilers hence the "seeing things through Elliots world view" comment. The reality of pretty much everything after he lays down in the hotel room is suspect.
I believe the hacker crew is real with the exception of Slater. You see a lot of "Sixth Sense" type interaction with Slaters character. It looks like he is taking part in things but he really isnt. The rest of the crew has had direct interaction with others. Of course given that entire show may be Elliots delusion we shall have to wait and see.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Anyone still watching this? If youre not, youre missing out on one of the best series on TV right now. The penultimate episode is next week and things are really gaining steam. fsociety
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The Wellick's were definitely not what I expected and I'm just as interested in their story along with Elliot's. Mrs. Wellick is really hardcore.
Last edited by $iljanus on Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Toe

Post by Toe »

My enjoyment has dwindled as this season has progressed. I have grown tired of the hacking crew and the vice chairman of security or whatever subplot. And I hope they don't rely too heavily on the aha-hacker-reveals and end up overusing it. Still, a nice attempt at something a little different, so I appreciate that regardless. It's better than True Detective Season 2 thats for sure :D
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Well, you don't see a pickle fork used in that particular fashion every day so that's a little different.
Black lives matter!

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I told my wife as we watched this week's episode that I'm buying the season on Blu-Ray, and I never buy TV shows. Loving it. And feeling like I need to scrutinize the show while watching it again.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I fell behind, but I'm catching up tonight and tomorrow. I still think it's a great show and I've been pleasantly surprised at how it's all unfolding. And yes, I do think it might be one of those things you can watch again and possibly pick up on clues or things you missed the first time because you didn't realize what was happening.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm about three episodes behind. I haven't been in the right frame of mind to enjoy the show like I could be. Maybe I'll get caught up this weekend. Or maybe I'll play video games...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, I did not see that coming. :shock:

Man, I'm still really lovin' this one.
Last edited by hepcat on Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

The show slowed down a bit in the middle as they developed peripheral characters and seeded the plot line. That lull has really paid off the past few weeks. They have done a great job, several times, of turning things on its head without it feeling contrived. These flips change the context of what weve seen before and illuminates things that seemed inconsequential. And Malik is absolutely killing it in the role of Elliot.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

It is an amazing show. This week's episode was one of the best and makes me want to . . . rewatch a lot of earlier scenes.

Thankfully, the recap and analysis pieces at various sites took care of most of that for me.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Edit: I guess this post could be seen as too spolierish.
Spoiler:
Just got caught up. Where was this last episode for the four or five that came before it? I was losing interest right up until .ep7 and then suddenly the broken narration came back and the actor playing Elliot began to shine again as he began to see himself as locked in the confines of an external story being told and the dark army androgynous person gave us back *Alice in Wonderland* storytime characters. I know there's that whole exposition thing necessary for a stories as most people would enjoy them but this episode is what they all need to be.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

So... as I believe we all suspected...
-mf
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I haven't seen it yet, what do we suspect? :ninja:

I suspect there is going to be another layer to the reveal and I'm not really going to care what the reveal is.

But I'm hoping a narration goes deeper down the rabbit hole and an objective reader bird's eye view of reality starts to really fade out and break in places.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I have not seen. Apparently I should.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

MonkeyFinger wrote:So... as I believe we all suspected...
Yes. Not surprising to me yet enjoyable to watch unfold.

And I loved the opening credits for the episode. Pretty slick the way it was done along with some backstory on the Mr Robot title font.
Black lives matter!

rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Very heart wrenching episode, as reality crashes full force into Elliot's world. The second season should be quite interesting, as there was a whole lot left unresolved. Since this season was only 9 episodes, hopefully season 2 will arrive sooner. Elliot is going to need Mr. Robot if he is going to survive his new partner.
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

rshetts2 wrote:Very heart wrenching episode, as reality crashes full force into Elliot's world. The second season should be quite interesting, as there was a whole lot left unresolved. Since this season was only 9 episodes, hopefully season 2 will arrive sooner. Elliot is going to need Mr. Robot if he is going to survive his new partner.
That wasn't the season finale, though it was good enough for it - one more episode next week.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I'm hoping the final episode further explores Darlene's circumstances, as her backstory remains a complete mystery. Why did she suddenly appear?

It seems obvious she's been a part of FSociety from the get-go, and her hacking skills are comparable with Elliot’s, but the reason she decided to come back is still unknown. And as Angela explains to her about Elliot, "He’s been doing just fine until you moved back to the city. Why are you even here?" Which would seem to imply some significance to her return (and perhaps also part of the reason she left in the first place).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Sherpa wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:Very heart wrenching episode, as reality crashes full force into Elliot's world. The second season should be quite interesting, as there was a whole lot left unresolved. Since this season was only 9 episodes, hopefully season 2 will arrive sooner. Elliot is going to need Mr. Robot if he is going to survive his new partner.
That wasn't the season finale, though it was good enough for it - one more episode next week.
Cool, when I was watching they had a banner run that said "You are watching the Season Finale of Mr. Robot. Stay tuned for .... yada yada..." Anyway, they must have run the wrong banner. I thought the ending seemed rather abrupt but that would not have been out of place for this show.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Saw the first two, I am hooked. I can see why it would be difficult to sustain this premise for multiple seasons. But looks like a great ride.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Heads up for tonight:
In a statement, USA said the following: “The previously filmed season finale of Mr. Robot contains a graphic scene similar in nature to today’s tragic events in Virginia. Out of respect to the victims, their families and colleagues, and our viewers, we are postponing tonight’s episode. Our thoughts go out to all those affected during this difficult time.”

The new episode will now air next week, September 2, with the penultimate episode re-airing this evening.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

or...you can read the story here...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... lot-817951
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Smoove_B wrote:Heads up for tonight:
In a statement, USA said the following: “The previously filmed season finale of Mr. Robot contains a graphic scene similar in nature to today’s tragic events in Virginia. Out of respect to the victims, their families and colleagues, and our viewers, we are postponing tonight’s episode. Our thoughts go out to all those affected during this difficult time.”

The new episode will now air next week, September 2, with the penultimate episode re-airing this evening.
Wow, I thought the penultimate was the ultimate - great to know there's one more in the can.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

rshetts2 wrote:
Sherpa wrote:
Cool, when I was watching they had a banner run that said "You are watching the Season Finale of Mr. Robot. Stay tuned for .... yada yada..." Anyway, they must have run the wrong banner. I thought the ending seemed rather abrupt but that would not have been out of place for this show.
I thought episodes 8 and 9 would have both made perfectly fine season finales. It's pretty great that they weren't! I love this show a lot. Every week more so than the week before, and I loved it from the very first scene. Can't wait for next week, had no idea why no episode appeared last night until I went and googled it just now :shock:
Twitter: joerumz
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

There was an explicit nod to Fight Club in episode 9. If you've watched it and missed it...
Spoiler:
The song that was playing when Tyrell was at the arcade was (a piano cover of) Where Is My Mind? by the Pixies, the same song that plays at the end of Fight Club
Twitter: joerumz
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So...that was something. I can totally see why they didn't air that last week.

Not a fan of the lack of resolution. I thought for some reason that this was a one season series. However, if they can keep up the quality, I'll be happy with it and they certainly have a number of questions to answer. Also, nice touch working the Ashley Madison hack into the show.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Enjoyed the post credits tidbit at the end but I'm not too surprised by it. The centers of power aren't overthrown easily and view "revolutions" as an inconvenience.
Spoiler:
I wonder if BD Wong's character is part of the corporate system representing the Chinese gov or is truly just an anarchist watching Rome burn or all of the above...
Black lives matter!

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Forgot to manually tape this. Must remember to go look for reruns and hope "he post credits tidbit" isn't cut off.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LordMortis wrote:Forgot to manually tape this. Must remember to go look for reruns and hope "he post credits tidbit" isn't cut off.
There was a commercial after the show that said all episodes are available on the TNT website so you can watch it that way.
Black lives matter!

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

$iljanus wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Forgot to manually tape this. Must remember to go look for reruns and hope "he post credits tidbit" isn't cut off.
There was a commercial after the show that said all episodes are available on the TNT website so you can watch it that way.
2 down plus crappy service, in general, makes streaming a terrible option in my home. Even when I queue up with a large buffer, stuff I stream is terrible. I've tried with USA and AMC on several occasions in the past. That makes me especially sad because my Series II TiVo running on 20+ year old TV is not exactly a great experience either.

I really need to change my TV watching options but inertia's a mean mistress.