Mr Robot (TV)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rshetts2

Mr Robot (TV)

Post by rshetts2 »

Anyone watching this? Its on USA and is pretty good. Its only two episodes in but its got a Fight Club/ Beautiful Mind meets Hackers vibe going. Theres a lot of ways the series could be headed, its going to be interesting to see where it goes.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Mr Robot (TV)

Post by $iljanus »

I like it a lot. But I think you pegged it by comparing it to those movies you mentioned. I hope there are more episodes of him doing some vigilante hacking like the opening episode.

Love the scene of the young Evil Corp. exec surrounded by his legion of lawyer minions.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm really digging this show. Although I get more of a Clockwork Orange feel off it.

I absolutely love the 70's style credits, and the lead actor really does a great job portraying the manic aspect of his character as well.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Having missed it so far, is there any point to jumping in late? Don't tell me to catch up online because we don't have the internet here.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I've definitely enjoyed what I've seen from the first two episodes.

It's quite refreshing to see a show that revolves around hacking that's at least somewhat plausibly written, without the hackneyed Chloe O'Brian-esque daft technobabble (or perhaps I'm just burned out on the various technological absurdities in AMC's Halt and Catch Fire).

Kraken, if you have access to the SyFy Channel, it's not too late to catch up on the series. According to my TiVo, SyFy will be rerunning the first three episodes on July 11, beginning at 10:00PM PDT.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Others may disagree, but I think you'd be better served waiting until you can watch it all, or at least catch up to the current episodes. I have a feeling that watching the story unfold will pay off in the long run.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:Having missed it so far, is there any point to jumping in late? Don't tell me to catch up online because we don't have the internet here.

I was going to say I've been meaning to watch at

http://www.usanetwork.com/mrrobot/episodes

But maybe you'll have to wait until you get Internet.

Anyhow, this is USA. They will play back episodes and have marathons eventually.

Here you go

http://www.usanetwork.com/schedule?show_nid=56156

Today at noon eastern is a first episode rerurn. Or you have a host of other choices.
Anonymous Bosch

LordMortis wrote:Today at noon eastern is a first episode rerurn.
No, it's not; the show they're running today at noon eastern is "Eps1.1ones-and-zer0es.mpeg", which is actually episode two. In other words, the episodes use the same sort of zero-based numbering as in computer programming.

The first episode is titled "Eps1.0hellofriend.mov". As I posted above, the earliest I see that episode running (along with the subsequent two episodes) is on July 11 on the SyFy Channel at 10:00PM PDT.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
LordMortis wrote:Today at noon eastern is a first episode rerurn.
No, it's not; the show they're running today at noon eastern is "Eps1.1ones-and-zer0es.mpeg", which is actually episode two. In other words, the episodes use the same sort of zero-based numbering as in computer programming.

The first episode is titled "Eps1.0hellofriend.mov". As I posted above, the earliest I see that episode running (along with the subsequent two episodes) is on July 11 on the SyFy Channel at 10:00PM PDT.

Well, that's just shitty.
theohall

Post by theohall »

As soon as they pulled the whole "it will be the most massive redistribution of wealth ever" thing I was done. No mention of the consequences to all of the people who will now be unable to access anything, because you idiots crashed everyone's, not just the rich people's, credit and debit cards. Yes, you took away the ability of the single mom on a sub-20K income to actually buy food for her 6 month old baby without physically going to a bank, because crashing all credit also crashes EBT. Great job, morons!!!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

theohall wrote:As soon as they pulled the whole "it will be the most massive redistribution of wealth ever" thing I was done. No mention of the consequences to all of the people who will now be unable to access anything, because you idiots crashed everyone's, not just the rich people's, credit and debit cards. Yes, you took away the ability of the single mom on a sub-20K income to actually buy food for her 6 month old baby without physically going to a bank, because crashing all credit also crashes EBT. Great job, morons!!!
If you stick with the show, I can't wait to hear your opinion on how they want to take out Evil Corp's data center...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Kraken, if you have access to the SyFy Channel, it's not too late to catch up on the series. According to my TiVo, SyFy will be rerunning the first three episodes on July 11, beginning at 10:00PM PDT.
Thanks for the info. I'll give my DVR something to do while I'm on vacation. It's been slacking off lately with everything on summer hiatus.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

theohall wrote:As soon as they pulled the whole "it will be the most massive redistribution of wealth ever" thing I was done. No mention of the consequences to all of the people who will now be unable to access anything, because you idiots crashed everyone's, not just the rich people's, credit and debit cards. Yes, you took away the ability of the single mom on a sub-20K income to actually buy food for her 6 month old baby without physically going to a bank, because crashing all credit also crashes EBT. Great job, morons!!!
You have no clue what the show is about. Not everything is exactly what it seems and what youre complaining about makes sense in context. And understand that there are hackers out there in the real world today, who couldnt give a shit about who they hurt or what they destroy in the process. They are not morons, in fact they can be quite intelligent. They just want to crash the world. So maybe what youre complaining about is exactly the point. Of course, you bailed early so you will never know.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:I'm really digging this show. Although I get more of a Clockwork Orange feel off it.

I absolutely love the 70's style credits, and the lead actor really does a great job portraying the manic aspect of his character as well.
The way they used my favorite movement from Beethoven's 7th in the opener was awesome, ending with the bold, red MR ROBOT.
Black lives matter!

theohall

Post by theohall »

rshetts2 wrote:
You have no clue what the show is about. Not everything is exactly what it seems and what youre complaining about makes sense in context. And understand that there are hackers out there in the real world today, who couldnt give a shit about who they hurt or what they destroy in the process. They are not morons, in fact they can be quite intelligent. They just want to crash the world. So maybe what youre complaining about is exactly the point. Of course, you bailed early so you will never know.
It's the liberal concept that ticks me off. Sick of watching it and watching hollyweird glorify it. Channel changed.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

theohall wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:
It's the liberal concept that ticks me off. Sick of watching it and watching hollyweird glorify it. Channel changed.
Glorify? LoL Yep you dont have a frikkin clue about this show. Definitely move on, its not for you.
Last edited by rshetts2 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Saw the first episode on TiVo on my crappy 19" twenty year old TV. One day I need to get with ten years ago and get better streaming and a modern TiVo and modern cable or an alternative.
hepcat wrote:I'm really digging this show. Although I get more of a Clockwork Orange feel off it.
I can see that and that is first reference to another piece of media where the protagonist isn't living in two realities (in this one, he's even schizoid and the reader is part of his other world). I'll add that I get a Jacob's Ladder feel of creepy to the whole thing and that's piled on by the subway signs a la They Live like just about all symbols give off.

I love that we're given to see media like Eliot sees it and mishear things like Eliot hears them. The premier delivered as advertised and I enjoyed it immensely. Can I assume this is just a miniseries and not planned for a whole program? I'll be glad for that, because I don't think this will have legs with larger TV watching populace even if it feels like I'm going to love it.

It's interesting that the show doesn't back down from trashing people or name brands which made the very limited sponsor spots all that more interesting as well. Pretty much it was just Google and USA shows, wasn't it?
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

theohall wrote:It's the liberal concept that ticks me off. Sick of watching it and watching hollyweird glorify it. Channel changed.
Wow, you really have to be really into your politics if you can't even watch one episode of a tv show without seeing liberals pulling strings.

If you'd watch the show, 'glorify' is not the word you'd use to describe how they present the protagonist or his ideas. The guy is seriously messed up. It's part of what makes this show so intriguing, the hero is not without major flaws.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LordMortis wrote:Saw the first episode on TiVo on my crappy 19" twenty year old TV. One day I need to get with ten years ago and get better streaming and a modern TiVo and modern cable or an alternative.

I love that we're given to see media like Eliot sees it and mishear things like Eliot hears them. The premier delivered as advertised and I enjoyed it immensely. Can I assume this is just a miniseries and not planned for a whole program? I'll be glad for that, because I don't think this will have legs with larger TV watching populace even if it feels like I'm going to love it.

The show has already been renewed for a second season so I guess we should prepare for the cliffhanger and hiatus (which will hopefully be short)

I love a show where I'm looking everywhere for secret signs, symbols and clues.
Black lives matter!

Anonymous Bosch

$iljanus wrote:I love a show where I'm looking everywhere for secret signs, symbols and clues.
Amen.

It's a major cut above the trite Pablum typical of shows of this sort, e.g. Scorpion on CBS...
(my mistake. That should read </SCORPION>, because... hacking). Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Just finished episode 2 and I think it's safe to say I'm in.

I enjoy </scorpion> (Does that mean the end of scorpion?) well enough but it's just fluff. This feels full of conspiracy and paranoia, like Rubicon was only it's not nearly so slow and the paranoia is overt. Am I supposed to be looking for secret signs and symbols? Rubicon had me feeling that way but this show feels like everything is out in the open... Except QWERTY... QWERTY in Elliot's apartment keeps getting mentioned as a throw away and it's piqued my curiosity or is telling me I missed something (which is more probable)

Also, this might be the first ever Christian Slater vehicle I've ever seen where Christian Slater is not playing Jack Nicholson and that is surprising because his character is kind of the same character as J.D. was in Heathers, which was the first 80s baby Jack Nicholson movie that comes to mind.
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

I thought the first episode had a slight influence from "The Matrix" in it.

The whole atmosphere in which he's just "a tech" by day, but at night in his personal life he's a
hacker, felt very matrix'y to me, but not to the point where lots of things were a blatant rip-off.

A day or two after it originally aired there were no posts, no thread here and I wondered if
people didn't care, or they just stopped watching tv altogether.

Anyway, glad someone took the time to start one.

I like the first episode alot, second episode on the dvr waiting for me to take it in.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I'm a Mr Robot hipster, I watched it last month when they released an advanced look at the first episode. The thing is, since the show hadn't technically started its run that made it difficult to talk about it. Not everyone wants to see the first episode if it's going to be over a month till the next one. Also, this means for several weeks ALL you can talk about is the first episode. I think this is why there wasn't a previous thread started.

The Matrix similarity is the first thing that jumped into my mind. Morpheus/Mr Robot showing Neo/Elliot how deep a rabbit hole can go. The men in black even look like Agents. But where The Matrix had a glossy presentation, this show is very gritty. It reminds me of 70s movies like The Conversation and Three Days of the Condor.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Yeah I caught the Matrix style reference and that helped me to first realize how thin the walls between reality and Elliot's reality are. The style was absolutely an intentional call out. Its not the strait forward that lets you look into Elliot's world, its the little things that come at you from strange angles that do it. I am really quite blown away by this show, it snuck up on me and surprised me and that's a trick that rarely happens with TV shows.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

After reading all the positive vibes, I'll be checking out (and catching up on) this one soon.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

theohall wrote:As soon as they pulled the whole "it will be the most massive redistribution of wealth ever" thing I was done.
:lol:

Oh wait...you're serious. :shock:

The people trying to do that aren't heroes in the show. You know that, right?
He won. Period.
theohall

Post by theohall »

Disagree with idiotic premise repeatedly overdone by hollyweird. Channel changed. The end. No more. No less.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They do have an agenda. I'm surprised you didn't try to marry another man after being exposed to the show for more than 5 minutes. Good on you for being one step ahead of them!
He won. Period.
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

Caught the first two episodes of this over the weekend. I loved it.

I feel Elliot has a touch of Dexter in him - the opening scene in the coffee shop had a whole Dexter vibe. But the show quickly slips into something more complicated than Dexter ever was.

Elliot is also the quintessential unreliable narrator - from his diagnosed mental disorders to the fact that the show portrays things as he sees and hears them (e.g., "Evil Corp") is a not-small hint that not everything is at it may seem to be. The fact that Elliot is (or seems to be) occasionally right should not be taken to mean that his POV is unblemished.

I also felt that Christian Slater's character was a riff on his character in Heathers - like the natural conclusion of that storyline would have him going from pirate radio to hacking. It felt very natural. And yeah, it was good to see him being more genuine, and leaving the Jack Nicholson impression aside.

I didn't get the Matrix vibe off of it. It made sense to me that he'd have a day job, and that it'd be in a tech field, so I didn't draw the comparison between him and Neo until I read it here. But I could see now how some would.

I thought the series opened strong. Definitely going to keep watching.
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
"His elbow commands the sun! Bow before him!" -Two Sheds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GargoyleBoy wrote:I also felt that Christian Slater's character was a riff on his character in Heathers - like the natural conclusion of that storyline would have him going from pirate radio to hacking.
Your memories are bleeding.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote:
GargoyleBoy wrote:I also felt that Christian Slater's character was a riff on his character in Heathers - like the natural conclusion of that storyline would have him going from pirate radio to hacking.

LOL. So they are.
"Never write anything unless you wanted it copied and handed around. Don't speak to two people unless you are physically strong and fast enough to catch and kill both of them with bare hands." -Tareeq
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

theohall wrote:Disagree with idiotic premise repeatedly overdone by hollyweird. Channel changed. The end. No more. No less.
Theohall is Eco-Logic in disguise??
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hmmm...you may be on to something. Try this:

"Obamacare isn't THAT bad."
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GargoyleBoy wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:

LOL. So they are.
Heh, never seen Pump Up the Volume. I was thinking more along the line of his secret terrorism for being cool and making the world a better place bad guy in a mask ends justify the means but might really just want to watch the world burn persona. Of course my memories of Heathers may be off as well. All I remember clearly is "Fuck me gently with a chainsaw" and "This is Ohio, if don't have a brewski in your hand you might as well be wearing a dress." That movie might have been the most quotable movie of its time and I can't really remember much more than that now.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I didn't get the Matrix vibe off of it.
The scene where Mr Robot "recruits" Elliot was borrowed almost word for word from the rabbit hole speech in The Matrix. Its paraphrased in places but the intent seemed clear to me. Thats whats great about this show though, there is so much to take in, that everyone is going to see things that others may miss or see differently. Just like Elliots perspective colors his reality, our personal perspective will affect what we take from the show.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

rshetts2 wrote:The scene where Mr Robot "recruits" Elliot was borrowed almost word for word from the rabbit hole speech in The Matrix. Its paraphrased in places but the intent seemed clear to me. Thats whats great about this show though, there is so much to take in, that everyone is going to see things that others may miss or see differently. Just like Elliots perspective colors his reality, our personal perspective will affect what we take from the show.
I don't know what's homage and what just is but it pretty much seemed to pull from every major "Reality isn't want you think it is" movie of the last 25 years or more and I'm alright with that. It really gives a good feel.
GargoyleBoy

Post by GargoyleBoy »

LordMortis wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:The scene where Mr Robot "recruits" Elliot was borrowed almost word for word from the rabbit hole speech in The Matrix. Its paraphrased in places but the intent seemed clear to me. Thats whats great about this show though, there is so much to take in, that everyone is going to see things that others may miss or see differently. Just like Elliots perspective colors his reality, our personal perspective will affect what we take from the show.
I don't know what's homage and what just is but it pretty much seemed to pull from every major "Reality isn't want you think it is" movie of the last 25 years or more and I'm alright with that. It really gives a good feel.
...and now that you mention it, it could even be a riff on Fight Club (because Elliot is an unreliable narrator, we can't be sure how much of fsociety really exists, or if it's all his doing).
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

It's a mix of all these things mentioned in this thread. Elliot kind of takes trophies like Dexter would. He's trying to channel what he does in a positive way like Dexter. He works on the inside of the system like Dexter.

No one ever claimed The Matrix was original material, no one who has ever seen any previous action or sci fi movies that is. It's the way the material is used that was made it fresh.

I think Mr Robot is doing the same thing. It's mixing these elements into something unlike anything I've seen on tv before. Sure I recognize the individual ingredients but I'm tasting a dish that's new to me.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

gameoverman wrote:I think Mr Robot is doing the same thing. It's mixing these elements into something unlike anything I've seen on tv before. Sure I recognize the individual ingredients but I'm tasting a dish that's new to me.
This. Seen the first two episodes and I've enjoyed it immensely.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

NYSE down, WSJ down, UA down.

I think it has to do with this:

http://huzlers.com/mcdonalds-employee-f ... ppy-meals/

Mr Robot was a roadmap.