Mr Robot (TV)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rshetts2

Re: Mr Robot (TV)

Post by rshetts2 »

I too thought that this might be a contained mini series at first. I found out quickly that the early showing of the first episode ( they apparently aired it back in April ) got such positive reception that they immediately renewed it for season 2. I am glad its not a one off, the show has me absolutely hooked and I think its by far the best show to hit the air this summer. The word is that its mapped out for a 4 year run containing approximately 50 episodes.

I thought the finale we great. We got a bit of mystery regarding Tyrell, a good dose of Elliot coming to terms with his psychosis and a cliffhanger ending. We do have a pretty solid answer to why they took Angela in at Evil Corp, if what the CEO said at the end is true.

My prediction for:
Spoiler:
who is at Elliots door at the end? Im guessing its the drug dealer guy. He would put 2 and 2 together and know Elliot is responsible for the chaos and is just the type of guy to want to take advantage of it. I would go with Tyrell but that seems too easy.
One last thing. Mrs. Wellington has incredibly beautiful eyes. Shes clearly beautiful overall but damn those eyes are captivating.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

Here are my predictions for season 2:
Spoiler:
Tyrell has the decryption key for all the data. That's how he thinks he's going to get back in to Evil Corp.

Evil Corp will get the decryption key back, and restore all their data, but Tyrell won't get shit.

I actually think all of that is going to happen by episode two. And then the real storyline involving whatever it is Joanna is up to will start. I believe Joanna also wants to destroy Evil Corp, and getting Tyrell into power was her original means to accomplish it. She knows the fsociety hack wasn't enough and has bigger plans. Somehow Elliot is going to do what she wants him to, and only realize he's been used when it's too late.
We'll reconvene next year and see how much I got right :)

I think this is about the best first season of a show I've ever seen. Breaking Bad didn't even hook me as much as this did early on, and it just kept getting better all season.
Twitter: joerumz
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

If ever there was an actual good use for a darned text message I'd like something along the order of "Hey knuckle head this is NBC(whichever) your show Mr. Robot is about to start in an hour on local channel 28 in your viewing area". I saw the first episode, and haven't seen a blip since. No idea of time slot, network, or channel.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

em2nought wrote:If ever there was an actual good use for a darned text message I'd like something along the order of "Hey knuckle head this is NBC(whichever) your show Mr. Robot is about to start in an hour on local channel 28 in your viewing area". I saw the first episode, and haven't seen a blip since. No idea of time slot, network, or channel.
It's on the USA Network. FWIW, all episodes of the first season are currently still available to watch through their web site or through their app.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Or install TV Showtime and get reminders of the shows you follow. :)
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love the fact that I'm now beginning to question the very nature of Tyrell. Can't wait for season 2!
rshetts2 wrote:
One last thing. Mrs. Wellington has incredibly beautiful eyes. Shes clearly beautiful overall but damn those eyes are captivating.
I'm sure it's just me, but she looked like an entirely different actress during her confrontation with Elliot outside their brownstone. I had to go look up the show on IMDB to see if they'd recast her, I was so sure it wasn't the original actress. :?
Covfefe!
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

hepcat wrote:I love the fact that I'm now beginning to question the very nature of Tyrell. Can't wait for season 2!
rshetts2 wrote:
I'm sure it's just me, but she looked like an entirely different actress during her confrontation with Elliot outside their brownstone. I had to go look up the show on IMDB to see if they'd recast her, I was so sure it wasn't the original actress. :?
That was my favorite scene in that episode. She is so intense. Loved it. Can't wait to find out what her deal is.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The music they were playing in the background was unsettling as hell. It reminded me of a background track from Under the Skin that creeped me the hell out.
Covfefe!
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

tiny ogre wrote:
hepcat wrote:I love the fact that I'm now beginning to question the very nature of Tyrell. Can't wait for season 2!
rshetts2 wrote:
That was my favorite scene in that episode. She is so intense. Loved it. Can't wait to find out what her deal is.
I was wondering what she said to him in Danish (or are they from Finland?) that Elliot couldn't understand, luckily the Internet knows all...
Spoiler:
if you've done something to him, I'll kill you
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I believe she's Danish and Tyrell is Swedish.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Catching up.
Spoiler:
You knew all along, didn't you
Awesome. I do hope there is some sort of explanation of Elliot's relation to us eventually... Or not.

Edit:

Opening of the last episode. What, did they write and film it the week before it when to USA? Ashly Madison and the Chinese market crash? What is this South Park?
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

LordMortis wrote:Catching up.
Spoiler:
You knew all along, didn't you
Awesome. I do hope there is some sort of explanation of Elliot's relation to us eventually... Or not.

Edit:

Opening of the last episode. What, did they write and film it the week before it when to USA? Ashly Madison and the Chinese market crash? What is this South Park?
It got delayed a week because of that live TV shooting. I wonder if they used that week to tweak that?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Sherpa wrote:
tiny ogre wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:
I was wondering what she said to him in Danish (or are they from Finland?) that Elliot couldn't understand, luckily the Internet knows all...
Spoiler:
if you've done something to him, I'll kill you
Thanks for tracking that down. She sounded so sweet when she said that and she's more than capable of carrying it out too...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

$iljanus wrote:Thanks for tracking that down.
This.

She totally looks like a young, hot Angelina Jolie, if AJ didn't look strung out on heroine when she was younger. I wonder if they will ever explain her motivations... And Angela's motivations now.... And what's up with the head of Evil Corp... And...

I think I'm going to have to sit down and watch and watch the damned thing again next years when season II comes out just to remember all of this.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

tiny ogre wrote:It got delayed a week because of that live TV shooting. I wonder if they used that week to tweak that?
I think tweak is the right word:
Sam Esmail: It's strange. And just to speak to the specific Ashley Madison line. That was originally in the script. If you remember from the pilot, that's one of the things Elliot hacked about him, and one of the things Elliot used to manipulate him. When I wrote that in the season finale, I went, "Well, I'm kind of overdoing this," referencing Ashley Madison. I wound up cutting it before we were shooting it. And then literally, the news happened again. This is too much. It's almost as if the world wanted me to keep the scene as intended.
Overall it's a good little article to read, though obviously filled with spoilers.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

Smoove_B wrote:
tiny ogre wrote:It got delayed a week because of that live TV shooting. I wonder if they used that week to tweak that?
I think tweak is the right word:
Sam Esmail: It's strange. And just to speak to the specific Ashley Madison line. That was originally in the script. If you remember from the pilot, that's one of the things Elliot hacked about him, and one of the things Elliot used to manipulate him. When I wrote that in the season finale, I went, "Well, I'm kind of overdoing this," referencing Ashley Madison. I wound up cutting it before we were shooting it. And then literally, the news happened again. This is too much. It's almost as if the world wanted me to keep the scene as intended.
Overall it's a good little article to read, though obviously filled with spoilers.
The full interview (linked in your link). I think I :wub: Sam Esmail.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

tiny ogre wrote: I think I :wub: Sam Esmail.
That interview was perfect and makes me very comfortable with everything I've been pulling from the show. Even with episodes that a sort of lull, that has to be the most interesting TV storytelling I can remember seeing and Esmail pushes all the right buttons with the interview. Is is next year yet?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Do you guys really believe "Sam Esmail" is a real person?

Fools...
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Z-Corn wrote:Do you guys really believe "Sam Esmail" is a real person?

Fools...
Sam Esmail = Sam's email = Am Mass Lie. :shock:
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:
Z-Corn wrote:Do you guys really believe "Sam Esmail" is a real person?

Fools...
Sam Esmail = Sam's email = Am Mass Lie. :shock:
= Mss Amalie Sam's a woman!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Now you guys are starting to open your eyes...

Mass Email
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Spoiler:
Elliot totally killed or shot Tyrell. They Chekov's gun it twice in the last episode. Elliot stares into the popcorn and we're visually reminded that Darlene hid the gun there.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I thought Chekov used a phaser.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Z-Corn wrote:Now you guys are starting to open your eyes...

Mass Email
Sam Esmail = sam is lame!

-from the desk of Theohall
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Combustible Lemur wrote:
Spoiler:
Elliot totally killed or shot Tyrell. They Chekov's gun it twice in the last episode. Elliot stares into the popcorn and we're visually reminded that Darlene hid the gun there.

I didn't even pay attention to that. I never catch the small details. Except the signs on the subway. Their message to the audience reminds of me of Jacob's Ladder. Even then I always forget what they say within a minute or two.

Also, I wouldn't think of that as a Checkov moment but rather as part of Elliot's unreliable memory trying to piece things together. Again, exploring the narration is what keeps me hooked. Dancing back and forth between a limited God's Eye and a narrating protagonist who openly doesn't trust the audience or himself just has me hooked.

One question in the interview was one I had as well and I still don't get. Why does reality, when it is void of Elliot, still do things like refer to E Corp as Evil Corp? While it intrigues me, it feels off. Like something needs to justify that choice. Esmail didn't really address that to my satisfaction in the interview. And as we all know, this is about me. He needs to please me.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Why does reality, when it is void of Elliot, still do things like refer to E Corp as Evil Corp? While it intrigues me, it feels off. Like something needs to justify that choice.
The audience is portrayed as an active part of Elliot's delusions, to the degree that Mr. Robot actually acknowledges us as part of Elliot and one that needs to be ignored on Elliots part. That makes everything we see potentially altered or unreliable. By doing this, Esmail has not only made Elliot an "unreliable narrator" but he has made us one as well. They bring that concept home at the end of the finale with the whole "What is reality" sequence.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

rshetts2 wrote:
Why does reality, when it is void of Elliot, still do things like refer to E Corp as Evil Corp? While it intrigues me, it feels off. Like something needs to justify that choice.
The audience is portrayed as an active part of Elliot's delusions, to the degree that Mr. Robot actually acknowledges us as part of Elliot and one that needs to be ignored on Elliots part. That makes everything we see potentially altered or unreliable. By doing this, Esmail has not only made Elliot an "unreliable narrator" but he has made us one as well. They bring that concept home at the end of the finale with the whole "What is reality" sequence.
The play seems odd, that we would be privy to so much non Elliot based information and yet we are still susceptible to his delusions for this privileged information. I might just be dense and I get caught on irrelevant minutia all of the time but out of the whole tale that's the part that eats at me. If he's made me up, then how do I know what is happening outside of his influence? Or perhaps that will be more clear later. Perhaps I don't know. Perhaps Elliot is filling in blanks.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Yeah its a bit of a mind bender. I guess the way I see it is that while we are part of Elliot's delusions for his purposes, the fact is we still exist outside Elliot's perception. Still we are, for lack of a better word, infected by Elliot's unique world view and therefor see the things outside his perception in the way he would see them. Esmail is playing with reality, much like they did in The Matrix or once again, Fight Club. Reality is perception and perception is unreliable in Elliot's world.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Which reminds me. As much as he seems to recognize the influence children's fantasy and unreliable narratives, I'm a little surprised I haven't seen Griffin and Sabine, Milan Kundera, and my first ever fascination with the art of the narrator (in adult fiction... Monster at the End of This Book was probably my first true narrative fascination. I loved that book more than any other when I was tiny), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which everybody needs to read.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Season 2 starts on Wednesday, July 13.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Smoove_B wrote:Season 2 starts on Wednesday, July 13.
Cant wait! I thought season one was fantastic. I am interested to see how they move forward from that finale.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Oh yeah, looking forward as well. Also looking forward to buying Season One on Blu-ray soon...just waiting for it to drop even a single dollar on Amazon.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Official trailer for the second season. Looks...crazy.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I'll give it a shot but it got a little weird for me last season. If it's even more strange I may be out.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I'm in!

Reminds me I've gotta get the Blu-ray of the first season still...
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Cant wait. I liked season 1 a lot, its going to be interesting to see where they take things
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is kind of strange, no? They just announced that Season two was given two additional episodes, taking it to 12. I would have figured a 10 episode arc would have been written and in production already. Unless they had a story that they said they could finish in 10 or 12 episodes and had been working with the 10 episode idea until this was approved.

They're also going to air a "Talking Dead" style show afterwards now called Hacking Robot, which I'm guessing will also be a success. There was a behind the scenes show that aired a few weeks ago that TiVo grabbed for me and it was quite enjoyable to watch.

EDIT: Season 1 will be re-aired on USA tomorrow (Saturday) starting early in the morning. It's also available for free to Amazon Prime members that are not watching reruns of Murder She Wrote or Matlock.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:This is kind of strange, no? They just announced that Season two was given two additional episodes, taking it to 12. I would have figured a 10 episode arc would have been written and in production already. Unless they had a story that they said they could finish in 10 or 12 episodes and had been working with the 10 episode idea until this was approved.

They're also going to air a "Talking Dead" style show afterwards now called Hacking Robot, which I'm guessing will also be a success. There was a behind the scenes show that aired a few weeks ago that TiVo grabbed for me and it was quite enjoyable to watch.
I don't know about a *Talking Dead* round table style show but I enjoyed the show I watched last week about real life hacking and how it has influenced the show as well as some of prophetic moments of the shows first season.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

LordMortis wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:This is kind of strange, no? They just announced that Season two was given two additional episodes, taking it to 12. I would have figured a 10 episode arc would have been written and in production already. Unless they had a story that they said they could finish in 10 or 12 episodes and had been working with the 10 episode idea until this was approved.

I don't know about a *Talking Dead* round table style show but I enjoyed the show I watched last week about real life hacking and how it has influenced the show as well as some of prophetic moments of the shows first season.
With Mr Robot being as surrealistic as it is, a round table show should work pretty well, I would think. It could bring some clarity to some of the more vague or confusing aspects of the show and it may point out certain perspectives that people may have completely missed. Ill give it a shot and see if it adds anything to the experience.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, I think a round-table discussion show makes more sense for Mr Robot than say talking about everyone's feelings on "Richonne" or how totes awesome it was to see someone pulled apart (again). It's definitely a fine line though and they should take care to not over do it.