Han Solo movie in 2018

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: Han Solo movie in 2018

Post by El Guapo »

Punisher wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:57 am OK. Guess I was wrong about Wedge. Probably why my team came in 4th in the trivia match..
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sabotage recut

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ron Howard released pic.
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

naednek

Post by naednek »

yikes. tough crowd.

Looks awesome! A change of pace which will be nice.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Can't watch it until I get home. I'm excited about this one even if I didn't love the last movie.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

That was better than the other trailers. Now I’m excited for the movie.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think it will be a good one.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

That last trailer is certainly better, but I can't shake the feelings that this movie is trying too hard to be like the new Star Trek movies (i.e. dumbed down, all action, with a plot that makes little sense). If you can't tell, I really didn't like the new Star Trek movies...
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think one of my largest peeves with Star Wars movies since Disney got them is they are adding WAY too many new alien types in there ALL the time. Enough Disney! Stop that already.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:09 pm That last trailer is certainly better, but I can't shake the feelings that this movie is trying too hard to be like the new Star Trek movies (i.e. dumbed down, all action, with a plot that makes little sense). If you can't tell, I really didn't like the new Star Trek movies...
Then again, I always said that the new Star Trek movies were actually good Star Wars movies. I love Star Wars, but let's be honest - they never had the deepest plots or characterizations.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I'm going for Donald Glover as Lando. Even the 30 seconds in the trailer is awesome.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:13 pm I think one of my largest peeves with Star Wars movies since Disney got them is they are adding WAY too many new alien types in there ALL the time. Enough Disney! Stop that already.
Yeah, they should go back to the way the original movies kept aliens to a minimum, like the cantina scene in New Hope.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Fitzy wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:40 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:13 pm I think one of my largest peeves with Star Wars movies since Disney got them is they are adding WAY too many new alien types in there ALL the time. Enough Disney! Stop that already.
Yeah, they should go back to the way the original movies kept aliens to a minimum, like the cantina scene in New Hope.
I never really got that criticism? :? If anything, I've felt the new round of movies haven't had enough aliens.

Now with this movie, everytime I see more of it, the less I feel like I want to see it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I feel like they're milking this franchise dry. No interest in even renting this one.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:17 pm I feel like they're milking this franchise dry. No interest in even renting this one.
Those udders look pretty bloated to me in the last film. Just sayin'.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The males of the species give green 'milk'..females blue. Oops Luke.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Fitzy wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:38 pm That was better than the other trailers. Now I’m excited for the movie.
I had the same reaction. Nothing I'd seen up until now seemed compelling but the last trailer has me looking forward to it.

I went 38 years from the original trilogy until we got more Star Wars so if they want to push something out every year or two now I'm not going to complain.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Redfive wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:59 pm they want to push something out every year or two now I'm not going to complain.
I have no problem with it either but I would like to see more stuff that does not center on main characters from the original. Solo looks good but I keep seeing it and think that's not Harrison Ford.

Branch out and give us totally new stuff.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Lassr wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:00 pm
Redfive wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:59 pm they want to push something out every year or two now I'm not going to complain.
I have no problem with it either but I would like to see more stuff that does not center on main characters from the original. Solo looks good but I keep seeing it and think that's not Harrison Ford.

Branch out and give us totally new stuff.
Baby steps. Although Rogue One sure did it well.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The music opening in the trailer kept sounding like it was bouncing back from Cake to the Time Warp. Once the music found its identity, I kinda liked the trailer. It felt like the stuff I liked about Firefly which I did not like nearly as much as the rest of you all y'all. I kept flashing from the actor being Han to him being Mal. I may have to divorce this from being "A Star Wars Story" but I think I could like it. *shrug*
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

JSHAW wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:51 am That's what fucked people up with The Last Jedi. They concocted all their stupid fantasies and scenarios and when they didn't play out like they
wanted they got all butt hurt.
As far as I'm concerned, all the recent SW films have delivered above and beyond my personal expectations, and I am known by family and friends alike to be ridiculously picky...about everything. Coffee, movies, sound quality, customer service, "Stuff". Picking apart the new SW movies would seem to be right in my wheelhouse, but I can't do it. Not because of my love for the series and what it meant to my childhood, but because they're fucking great movies IMO. :D
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The WSJ on Solo's production.
Mr. Howard worked faster than his predecessors, sometimes reshooting scenes in a few hours that Messrs. Lord and Miller spent a whole day on, one of the “Solo” actors said. About 70% of the finished movie came from scenes Mr. Howard shot, another person close to the production said.

“Ron wanted to go back to the spirit of the original trilogy, while Phil and Chris were looking forward to something new, more like ‘Guardians of the Galaxy,’ ” this person said.
Hmm.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

The new trilogy has been two shitty movie wrappers wrapped around whatever social justice garbage the director and producer wanted to push. To hell with the cannon, if we can show a female doing it, with an all female crew, and insult the stupid male crew members and show them as being wreckless and stupid then forget the cannon!!! Oh yeah... the hero admiral of the Return of the Jedi just died and we won't even have anyone mention it. The new trilogy movies have SUCKED SOCIAL JUSTICE HIND TIT.

Now Rogue One? That was a masterpiece. It stuck to cannon. It had a believable female hero. It had a supporting cast of men who weren't idiots. It was dark. Even the cameo in that movie by Cornelius Evazan was cannon-correct in that he was known to practice on that particular planet. Masterfully done.

Solo *LOOKS* to be promising at this point. My hopes for the Star Wars universe rests in all of these anthology movies. They can be good, great, or even masterpieces of movies. The saving grace is that they are spreading around the love and letting other producer/director teams get a crack at them. The trilogy team heading up that disaster don't care about anything other than pushing their social agenda ideas with sub part dialog, acting, and forced messages. This past trilogy movie it wasn't even me that noticed it -- about halfway through the movie my wife leans over and whispers "they are WEARING ME OUT pushing all these female characters. Are there any men in the rebellion anymore?".
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Being so angry all the time must be exhausting.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:37 am Being so angry all the time must be exhausting.
I get pissed when forced political messages ruin shit that I value -- like Star Wars.

There are plenty of ways to incorporate diversity into movies without ruining them. See: Rogue One.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You didn't get the warning about Tyranny in the original Star Wars? Or the more blatant political shenanigans of Palpatine in Episode One?

Let's see where Rey and Ren end up, now they are the leaders of their factions.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Yeah, wasn't the prequel trilogy all about forced political messages?
Hodor.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

msduncan wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:45 am
Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:37 am Being so angry all the time must be exhausting.
I get pissed when forced political messages ruin shit that I value -- like Star Wars.

There are plenty of ways to incorporate diversity into movies without ruining them. See: Rogue One.
You do realize Princess Leia saved Luke and Hans more than once in the original trilogy, right?

With that mindset, I hope you're not raising a daughter. If so, I would think you would applaud your child having a positive, strong female role model on the screen, instead of yet another guy.

But relax. Even with the current trend of diversity, white men are still outnumbering everyone in all aspects of our society by a healthy number. You won't be forced to change your name to a gender neutral one anytime soon. :wink:
Last edited by hepcat on Fri May 11, 2018 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

And all those aliens they hired for the Cantina scene....
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:05 am

You do realize Princess Leia saved Luke and Hans more than once in the original trilogy, right?
When did Han become German? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hodor.
morlac

Post by morlac »

With that mindset, I hope you're not raising a daughter. If so, I would think you would applaud your child having a positive, strong female role model on the screen, instead of yet another guy.

But relax. Even with the current trend of diversity, white men are still outnumbering everyone in all aspects of our society by a healthy number. You won't be forced to change your name to a gender neutral one anytime soon. :wink:
His name is Ms. Duncan you would think he'd more in tune with his feminine side ;)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

pr0ner wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:09 am

When did Han become German? :lol: :lol: :lol:
crap, I keep projecting my own desire to wear lederhosen on others.
He won. Period.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

World's biggest eye roll -- once again -- goes to Hepcat.

As I CLEARLY said: There are ways to have a diverse story, cast, and interactions without it being forced. NONE of the original trilogy's messages were forced. Even the prequels weren't forced. They were believable and sufficiently deep. Rogue One is in my top two Star Wars films of all time -- it might even be #1.

The new trilogy is a paper thin plot wrapped around forced social justice. Simple as that.

My daughter has her role model, not that it's ANY of your business. Jyn Erso. Leia is another good one, but comes from a different generation and thus she doesn't identify as much with her.

Also, I see that my avoidance of the R&P forums is clearly still the right thing. Your tactics are still to sling around 'I hope you don't have a daughter' and thinly veiled (or not veiled at all) inferences that people who don't agree with you are somehow racist, bigot, evil, stupid, etc. Continue the Brown Shirting buddy -- and CHOKE on the next two years of Trump. I'm enjoying it.
It's 34 bowl victories.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

msduncan wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:34 amcannon
canon
wreckless
reckless
sub part
subpar
Cornelius Evazan
Dr. Cornelius Evazan. He didn't spend all those years in space med school for nothing!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

msduncan wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:19 am

World's biggest eye roll -- once again -- goes to Hepcat.

As I CLEARLY said: There are ways to have a diverse story, cast, and interactions without it being forced. NONE of the original trilogy's messages were forced. Even the prequels weren't forced. They were believable and sufficiently deep. Rogue One is in my top two Star Wars films of all time -- it might even be #1.

The new trilogy is a paper thin plot wrapped around forced social justice. Simple as that.

My daughter has her role model, not that it's ANY of your business. Jyn Erso. Leia is another good one, but comes from a different generation and thus she doesn't identify as much with her.

Also, I see that my avoidance of the R&P forums is clearly still the right thing. Your tactics are still to sling around 'I hope you don't have a daughter' and thinly veiled (or not veiled at all) inferences that people who don't agree with you are somehow racist, bigot, evil, stupid, etc. Continue the Brown Shirting buddy -- and CHOKE on the next two years of Trump. I'm enjoying it.
I'm clutching my pearls in shock. I thought we were best friends. I even made you a friendship bracelet out of macaroni. Now I'll just have to give it to Pr0nor. :(
morlac wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:11 am His name is Ms. Duncan you would think he'd more in tune with his feminine side ;)
:lol:

p.s. still not clear on what the definition of "forced social justice" is in terms of Star Wars. :? Can anyone enlighten me as to why this is a thing if it's not because it includes a female lead, or casts minorities in leading roles as Ms. Duncan claims?
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:28 am p.s. still not clear on what the definition of "forced social justice" is in terms of Star Wars. :? Can anyone enlighten me as to why this is a thing if it's not because it includes a female lead, or casts minorities in leading roles as Ms. Duncan claims?
I'm not totally clear either, BUT I think it's stuff like this:

(1) The commanding Admiral in Episode VIII is a woman, and she's right about how to handle the First Order attack (secretly plan to escape to the nearby planet), while the heroic rebellious man Poe is wrong, and his belligerent (mutinous) actions get a lot of people killed. That's not how it's supposed to go (which is part of the Last Jedi's general theme of subverting expectations). It's also part of how a lot of people seem to hate Laura Dern in that role, which I don't totally understand.

(2) Rey is not only the female lead but is borderline superpowered, and capable of doing just about anything. I think the "social justice" read of this is that Rey is so powerful because the writers were determined to have a "girl power" moment.

(3) Luke, the old white man, doesn't do all that much (although he does save the resistance in the end), and doesn't go attacking the First Order with laser swords

(4) Rose (Asian woman) is kind of an unnecessary character and messes up Finn's attempted heroic sacrifice in a dumb way.

A lot of these are objections that non-gamergate anti-SJW people have with TLJ. But I think a lot of this is taking these criticisms, and the prominent roles for women and minorities in the movie, and adding the judgment that they were the result not of good faith screenwriting attempts but the result of Social Justice Warriors cramming SJW themes into the movies, script coherence be damned. Like, per the discussions here, a significant number of Star Wars fans strongly disliked TLJ, and the way in which TLJ went out of its way to subvert traditional expectations / norms for Star Wars. It's just taking that irritation / anger and attributing the movie's decisions to "political correctness run amok", essentially.
Last edited by El Guapo on Fri May 11, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

As far as I can tell, it's because they didn't have a funeral pyre scene for Admiral Ackbar.

Side note: Would "clam bake" be an inappropriate term for such an service?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Skinypupy wrote:As far as I can tell, it's because they didn't have a funeral pyre scene for Admiral Ackbar.

Side note: Would "clam bake" be an inappropriate term for such an service?
Thanks a lot. Now I'm really hankering for a lobster roll.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, thanks for the info. Still think it's drama queens kvetching mostly though.

Also, I'm sure Ms. Duncan is a wonderful father. I didn't realize he had a daughter, to be honest. I would never knowingly call someone a bad parent...with the exception of Zarathud, who I've seen racing his kids down at the park for money.
Last edited by hepcat on Fri May 11, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.