Han Solo movie in 2018

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

wonderpug

Re: Han Solo movie in 2018

Post by wonderpug »

Holman wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:24 am
hepcat wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:05 pm As long as they avoid that inexplicable and seriously creepy Harvey Korman bit from the Holiday Special, I consider it a win.
Something from the Dryden Vos party scene actually reminded me of Korman's Holiday Special cantina bit...
Spoiler:
Am I wrong, or were there creepy humanoid (with skin) android waitresses walking around with the tops of their heads removed? I would swear I saw one at least twice. It reminded me of Ep V's Lobot, but it was seriously disturbing as it seemed everything from the eyes up was just gone and replaced with some sort of flat computer surface.

Did I hallucinate this?
Good god. Are you talking about what comes up if you google
Spoiler:
decraniated?
I missed those entirely in that scene.
Holman

Post by Holman »

That's it exactly.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

wonderpug wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:45 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:05 pm As long as they avoid that inexplicable and seriously creepy Harvey Korman bit from the Holiday Special, I consider it a win.
Something from the Dryden Vos party scene actually reminded me of Korman's Holiday Special cantina bit...
Spoiler:
Am I wrong, or were there creepy humanoid (with skin) android waitresses walking around with the tops of their heads removed? I would swear I saw one at least twice. It reminded me of Ep V's Lobot, but it was seriously disturbing as it seemed everything from the eyes up was just gone and replaced with some sort of flat computer surface.

Did I hallucinate this?
Spoiler:
decraniated?
:shock:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

wonderpug wrote:
Spoiler:

Did I hallucinate this?
Spoiler:
decraniated?
Yikes. I guess rules regarding workplace conditions aren't very big in criminal organizations...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

considering what they show on primetime tv these days, I wouldn't worry to much about kids seeing that. I think they're more desensitized to stuff like that than we are.
He won. Period.
naednek

Post by naednek »

my son was more afraid during the trailers. Our theater decided to show Predator and Venom before Solo... Almost had to go home, but got him to settle down.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Yeah, that Venom trailer was pretty creepy.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I liked the movie and I like it even more now that I've had time to think about it. But these two questions are keeping me up at night.
Very minor spoilers contained within.

Why did the gang
Spoiler:
try to steal the whole train car if Chewie could just carry the loot in two suitcases?
Also, if the
Spoiler:
train has cars on top and bottom of a single rail, how is the track supported?
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

The track is supported on the side to the side of the mountain.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:44 pm The track is supported on the side to the side of the mountain.
Yes, but how do the wheels of the train get past the support without hitting it?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Archinerd wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:59 pm I liked the movie and I like it even more now that I've had time to think about it. But these two questions are keeping me up at night.

Why did the gang
Spoiler:
try to steal the whole train car if Chewie could just carry the loot in two suitcases?
Spoiler:
Chewie's suitcases were what they got from mines and then had refined. Presumably the train was carrying a whole lot more of this absurdly valuable stuff. (In which case, maybe a few more guards were in order?)
Of course it's all just a MacGuffin anyway.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Archinerd wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:57 pm
Chrisoc13 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:44 pm The track is supported on the side to the side of the mountain.
Yes, but how do the wheels of the train get past the support without hitting it?
Mag train? Temporary instantaneous shutoff as each segment passes a support?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Holman wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:58 pm
Archinerd wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:59 pm I liked the movie and I like it even more now that I've had time to think about it. But these two questions are keeping me up at night.

Why did the gang
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Chewie's suitcases were what they got from mines and then had refined. Presumably the train was carrying a whole lot more of this absurdly valuable stuff. (In which case, maybe a few more guards were in order?)
Of course it's all just a MacGuffin anyway.
Spoiler:
But why go through the trouble of taking more than you need to if you can just carry what you need?
Also, neither of these diminish my enjoyment of the movie in any way, I'm just thinking about it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Profit, baby!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Holman wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:03 pmProfit, baby!
Yeah, never underestimate the stupid things people will do when they get greedy.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Archinerd wrote:
I guess I'm confused by the question. It appears to have opposing wheels and with the inner side attached to the mountain it seems it would work fine.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:26 pm
Archinerd wrote:
I guess I'm confused by the question. It appears to have opposing wheels and with the inner side attached to the mountain it seems it would work fine.
I think he's asking the question with the assumption that the top and the bottom are connected in some way around the edge of the track, like in a rollercoaster:

If there's a connection around the outside edge of the track, how can you run a support beam from the track to the mountain?

If that's the question, my answer would be that space trains don't necessarily need a physical connector between the top and the bottom to have a topsy bottomsy train car design.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Of course the real question, when you have the power to levitate starships the size of a small city, is "why a train?"
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Because train robberies are cool. Duh.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

wonderpug wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:33 pm
Chrisoc13 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:26 pm
Archinerd wrote:
I think he's asking the question with the assumption that the top and the bottom are connected in some way around the edge of the track, like in a rollercoaster:

If there's a connection around the outside edge of the track, how can you run a support beam from the track to the mountain?

If that's the question, my answer would be that space trains don't necessarily need a physical connector between the top and the bottom to have a topsy bottomsy train car design.
Yes, this! And your answer is the best that I come up with but it's not satisfying.
Holman wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:46 pm Of course the real question, when you have the power to levitate starships the size of a small city, is "why a train?"
Keep in mind that this is also a Universe where AT-AT's are a thing.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Saw it tonight, and while the trailers did nothing for me, and with the criticism of the movie, I went in with low expectations and I quite liked it. Not the best ever SW, but I thought it was fairly entertaining. But that cameo though was groan inducing.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Huh, I thought Clint Howard was fine.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

No, I mean...
Spoiler:
Maul. It seemed no more than fan service. Plus, to anyone not aware of fact that he survived his encounter in TPM, it seemed way out of the left field, and not to mention very confusing. If all you've seen of him is from TPM and then this movie as most of the mainstream would likely see it, all it leaves behind is confusion. All it really did for me was cloud the timeline and it didn't add anything significant. I had to look it up afterwards to gain understanding on why Maul would be still around. I mean, you reintroduce a character that was last seen in the movies back in the prequel period and thought dead in those movies only to have him spring up here, and there's understandably going to be a lot of confusion if one hasn't seen Rebels. Quite a risky move.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Spoiler:
That kind of fan service bugs the hell out of me. Maul was cut in half and fell god knows how far. Now he's back. Dumb.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

McNutt wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:19 pm
Spoiler:
That kind of fan service bugs the hell out of me. Maul was cut in half and fell god knows how far. Now he's back. Dumb.
Spoiler:
Yes, exactly! And I think bringing him back into the movies was incredibly risky. To the average moviegoer, he's dead, gone, kaput. But then he shows up here and it's ... "wait... what??" That certainly was my reaction. I had no reason to believe he was still alive. What we see in TPM looks very final. Not to mention that by bringing back a former Clone Wars/Prequel villain/Darth that isn't any longer just elicits lots of confusion due to his inclusion. Our theatre was dead silent upon his reveal, likely feeling very unsure about his inclusion.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Spoiler:
Actually, he's a new character to me. I pretend the prequels never happen and I've never seen Rebels... so this is introducing a new character to me. All I know about him is that he appears in a hologram, has robot legs and is evil. Hopefully they flesh out his character a bit more in his next appearance and don't just slice him in half without us ever finding out more about him.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I find the twist at the end horribly BLUNT
Spoiler:
Not only they show the force grab of the saber, he actually deployed it on screen. Add that to the hood reveal, it's as if they are afraid you won't recognize him. It's horribly blunt, not a fan service should be. Fan service should be more of a wink/wink nudge/nudge kinda tease.
The movie's entertaining enough, but the three acts feel... disconnected somehow?
Spoiler:
The movie has two extra acts stuck in there somewhere, unless you count 2 and 3 together as one extra long act?

Long Teaser: Han and Kira tried to escape, Han made it, Kira didn't.

Act 1: Han tries to join the Bennet Crew w/ Chewie, Bennet agree, goes on heist, heist gone horribly wrong

Act 2: Bennet got a new deal, Kira and Solo reunites, meets Lando, goes on heist at the mine, Heist successful,

Act 3: Escape blocked, Solo decides to do a shortcut, i.e. 12 parsecs, trials and tribulations

Act 4: Solo successful for now, but more enemies and betrayal ahead, as well as more twists and turns.

Act 5/Epilogue: the final resolution

It's a two hour plus movie, and it just feels it's got an extra act in there somehow.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:46 pm [originally spoilered]
It's a two hour plus movie, and it just feels it's got an extra act in there somehow.
I don't see it that way. TLJ suffers from too many parallel plots, but this one is pretty tight and linear.

In fact it's the only Neo-SW movie where the (apparently obligatory) cantina/party scenes (here we have two) feel organic to the story rather than tacked on for nostalgia's sake.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Archinerd wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:12 pm
Spoiler:
Actually, he's a new character to me. I pretend the prequels never happen and I've never seen Rebels... so this is introducing a new character to me. All I know about him is that he appears in a hologram, has robot legs and is evil. Hopefully they flesh out his character a bit more in his next appearance and don't just slice him in half without us ever finding out more about him.
Spoiler:
The thing is, the robot legs aren't even all that obvious. It only was after I'd done research that I'd found out that it was the case and that it was in fact Maul. So, even if they would have made it more obvious, his inclusion is just totally weird.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

On the character who appears at the end:
Spoiler:
When I saw him I didn't even see him as Maul; the face was different enough for me to assume he was just a different member of the same species. (IMDB tells me it's a different actor, and it's not like Maul had a really distinctive personality anyway.)

Also, I didn't see the robot legs at all. The transmission was so dark and fuzzy that I guess I just saw a chair or throne. Was it clear to the rest of you?

My kids (veteran Clone Wars viewers) had no trouble here. They saw the legs and assumed it was Maul right away.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Holman wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:57 pm On the character who appears at the end:
Spoiler:
Also, I didn't see the robot legs at all. The transmission was so dark and fuzzy that I guess I just saw a chair or throne. Was it clear to the rest of you?
Spoiler:
Nope, not clear at all as mentioned in my last post. And I would never have automatically assumed it was him given his inclusion in this is just so out of place, legs or not. It just really made me question the timeline it's in, making me do a double-take.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:12 pm
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Nope, not clear at all as mentioned in my last post. And I would never have automatically assumed it was him given his inclusion in this is just so out of place, legs or not. It just really made me question the timeline it's in, making me do a double-take.
Spoiler:
Of the nerds in my office (6 of us), I was the only one who noticed them. One co-worker only knew of them after the fact when his kid told him. You're far from alone if you didn't catch it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Archinerd wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:36 pm
Spoiler:
Of the nerds in my office (6 of us), I was the only one who noticed them. One co-worker only knew of them after the fact when his kid told him. You're far from alone if you didn't catch it.
Spoiler:
And what makes this such a weird pointless cameo for me is that to regular viewers, he's dead after seeing him in TPM. There's completely no reason to assume it would be him. Adding him just throws the average viewer for a complete loop.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Holman

Post by Holman »

I assume that was supposed to be a big WOW! moment, but it just fell flat because no one cares about the character.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Spoiler:
When I saw him I didn't even see him as Maul; the face was different enough for me to assume he was just a different member of the same species. (IMDB tells me it's a different actor, and it's not like Maul had a really distinctive personality anyway.)

My kids (veteran Clone Wars viewers) had no trouble here. They saw the legs and assumed it was Maul right away.
Spoiler:
It IS the same actor (Ray Park)! I am not sure what imdb page you were looking at. I thought it was an ill advised cameo given that most people (including me) believed (with good reason) that he died in TPM.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Holman

Post by Holman »

JCC wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:03 pm
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
It IS the same actor (Ray Park)! I am not sure what imdb page you were looking at. I thought it was an ill advised cameo given that most people (including me) believed (with good reason) that he died in TPM.
Spoiler:
So the physical actor in Solo was the same as in Ep 1? Apparently Maul's voice was dubbed in the original movie, and I must have seen a list that named the voice performer rather than physical performer.

20 years is a long time, and alien actors (and their heavily-made-up faces) age. And, of course, if this appearance wasn't dubbed then it didn't sound like the original Maul anyway.

All of this is lot of potential confusion for the producers to ignore. I care about Star Wars, and I've even watched the animated stuff; I can only imagine how senseless it was for casual moviegoers.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Also, are we still really doing spoilers? Solo has been out for a month and is probably leaving theaters.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's still in ~3000 theaters.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I haven't seen it and I hate spoiling movies, but this far into this thread I think people know what they're getting into here. I say spoil away.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Right. No one avoiding spoilers is coming into this thread on page 9 and expecting pre-release discussion.