Han Solo movie in 2018

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Paingod

Re: Han Solo movie in 2018

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:04 pmWell, my opinion of Solo is incomplete. It's incomplete because it was so terrible that I would rather do literally anything else but finish watching it. It's possible that it redeems itself later.
Quick synopsis:

Solo is actually duo, becomes Solo, then duo again, finds quatro, then trio, duo, trio, and finally duo. Not so Solo.

I liked it for being less Star Wars and more Space Sci-Fi. I've never been able to fall in love with Space Wizards (Jedi) but enjoy the combat, action, settings, and characters.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I went in to the theater with no expectations and no desire to see a Han Solo origin story. I ended up thoroughly enjoying the film. I bought it when it came out on Blu-Ray... and haven't felt the urge to actually watch it again.

So... I guess I don't think the film is great, but the hate against it has gone too far. There are worse ways to spend two hours.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The hate I have for the movie is more for what the movie is not. It's not what I hoped Star Wars would be back when I still cared about Star Wars. Instead it's a ridiculous action story that eschews creativity and crams as many old Star Wars references down our throat as two hours will allow. But what do I know? They're doing the same thing with Star Trek and making tons of money.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Paingod wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:20 am Solo is actually duo, becomes Solo, then duo again, finds quatro, then trio, duo, trio, and finally duo. Not so Solo.
:)

I watched about half of it last night after noticing it was on the Netflix. It's okay, It's entertaining.
The Han Solo character is one of the least interesting things about the movie. My two favorite things in it are still Lando and nitpicking space train track design.
McNutt wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:14 pm Instead it's a ridiculous action story that eschews creativity and crams as many old Star Wars references down our throat as two hours will allow.
Yeah, the references are as bad as I had feared when this movie was initially announced. They didn't bother me on the first viewing but this time around I find them annoying.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

McNutt wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:14 pm The hate I have for the movie is more for what the movie is not. It's not what I hoped Star Wars would be back when I still cared about Star Wars. Instead it's a ridiculous action story that eschews creativity and crams as many old Star Wars references down our throat as two hours will allow. But what do I know? They're doing the same thing with Star Trek and making tons of money.
There's a lot of indications that that's ultimately what people want. For all the drama in the production of Solo, I think it's been one of the better received Star Wars movies. TFA was virtually a remake of A New Hope, and everyone loved it. Rogue One was basically an extended movie about a gap in between episodes III and IV that did not need any more explanation.

Meanwhile they try to through things in unexpected directions in TLJ and lots of people hated it.

So, guessing we can look forward to the return of the Ewoks in Episode IX.

FWIW I did enjoy Solo, but I'm just eager for them to tell some new stories not tied to the original trilogy.
Black Lives Matter.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:29 pmTFA was virtually a remake of A New Hope, and everyone loved it.
Did they? I think the initial opinion of many was relief that it wasn't as outright bad as the prequel trilogy. But once the shine wore off a lot of people thought about the story and it's lack of originality and their opinion soured. I'm certainly one of them. I thought it was somewhat good when I watched it, but have had zero desire to rewatch it. This isn't a case of internet bias either. I felt the same way about The Dark Knight Rises and Skyfall too. Nice polish, terrible story.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

McNutt wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:40 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:29 pmTFA was virtually a remake of A New Hope, and everyone loved it.
Did they? I think the initial opinion of many was relief that it wasn't as outright bad as the prequel trilogy. But once the shine wore off a lot of people thought about the story and it's lack of originality and their opinion soured. I'm certainly one of them. I thought it was somewhat good when I watched it, but have had zero desire to rewatch it. This isn't a case of internet bias either. I felt the same way about The Dark Knight Rises and Skyfall too. Nice polish, terrible story.
It was certainly very well received at the time. My opinion on it has similarly deteriorated, but (not based upon much, I suppose) I think it's still pretty popular.
Black Lives Matter.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm surprised given the new trilogy and the two movies so far, how little it actually it is building towards something. It feels like it's not using time or scope properly.

In the OT, you had all these storylines between friends coming together, the machinations of Vader and the Emperor, yet I feel there's very little of that going on two movies in. I get no sense of some major plot, especially with the Empire or whatever they're now called. They had a lot of opportunities to sink some hooks in with Snoke, but killed him off within minutes of him appearing on screen. That'd be like killing the Emperor during Empire Strikes Back. Killing Snoke that early on I feel robs momentum away from the trilogy, and is IMHO a complete waste. I'd have kept him around as a foil for Lord Bratty McBrattyFace to keep him in check, but now you have a loose canon with no one inside the 'Empire" for him to go up against.

I predict Lord Bratty McBrattyFace will journey to Mustafa to see where his Grandfather had his genesis. Or maybe some other fiery planet where Rey and Ren will duel. Rey will receive visions from Luke to guide her along throughout the movie.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti