Han Solo movie in 2018

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Re: Han Solo movie in 2018

Post by McNutt »

I agree that a Han Solo movie is a bad idea. I have very little interest. I thought those guys did a great job with Lego and 21 Jump Street. The problem is that style is not something I want to see in Star Wars.

Joe Cocker did a great covering The Beatles. That doesn't mean I would have been excited to hear him cover Megadeth. Well, I take that back. That might have been awesome.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

McNutt wrote:What style were the producers going for when they hired the directors of The Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street?
Heist/Western
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

msteelers wrote:
McNutt wrote:What style were the producers going for when they hired the directors of The Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street?
Heist/Western
A boy and his dog
He won. Period.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

hepcat wrote:
msteelers wrote:
Heist/Western
A boy and his dog
Huh?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Just to be clear:
Kennedy had her own ideas about how the film should be shot. In an interview with Variety last year, she said she wanted the film to have “…a heist or Western type feel,” adding, “We’ve talked about [Frederic] Remington and those primary colors that are used in his paintings defining the look and feel of the film.”
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

msteelers wrote:
hepcat wrote:
msteelers wrote:
Heist/Western
A boy and his dog
Huh?
It was a typo. He meant a boy and his mog

Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

LordMortis wrote:
msteelers wrote:
hepcat wrote:
msteelers wrote:
Heist/Western
A boy and his dog
Huh?
IT was a typo he meant mog

That makes more sense.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I read that two directors under consideration are Ron Howard and Joe Johnson. Howard's signature maudlin style would completely turn me off. Johnson has had some promise, but he would not be my pick either.

The main beef seems to be with writer Lawrence Kasdan and the directors, with Kasdan wanting less of a comedic tone. I'd be happy to see Kasdan step in and direct.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If the problem was Kasdan not liking the direction they were taking it, I'm glad he seems to have enough pull to get his way. He's proven himself numerous times, in my opinion.
He won. Period.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hepcat wrote:If the problem was Kasdan not liking the direction they were taking it, I'm glad he seems to have enough pull to get his way. He's proven himself numerous times, in my opinion.
Counterpoint: Grand Canyon was terrible.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I actually enjoyed that one.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I just read that Ron Howard is it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

He's a competent director. I just think he's bad for what I want out of a Star Wars movie. I think Howard and Spielberg are a lot alike. You can see their talent and many times (more for Howard than Spielberg), they take a film down some hyper sentimental road that disappoints the hell out of me. I can just hear them screaming "more weepy strings!"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

McNutt wrote:He's a competent director. I just think he's bad for what I want out of a Star Wars movie. I think Howard and Spielberg are a lot alike. You can see their talent and many times (more for Howard than Spielberg), they take a film down some hyper sentimental road that disappoints the hell out of me. I can just hear them screaming "more weepy strings!"
We'll get to see how young Han and Greedo were BFFs as children.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

[Narrator]It's not entirely about masturbation.[/Narrator]
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just saw a release date of May 25 2018. Why in the middle of the year instead of end of the year? Because of summer time?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Daehawk wrote:I just saw a release date of May 25 2018. Why in the middle of the year instead of end of the year? Because of summer time?
Memorial Day weekend I believe.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Brian

Post by Brian »

May 25th was the release date of the original Star Wars.

Empire was released May 21st and then Jedi was also released on the 25th.

The prequels were also all released in late May as were most of the Indiana Jones movies.

The original Alien movie was also released on May 25th.

So yeah, that's a date that has a lot of significance in the release of some iconic films. :)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

In post production news, John Williams is returning to provide the movie's main theme, while John Powell is handling the rest of the music.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

That trailer did not get me psyched about this movie. Hope I’m surprised.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Keep your expectations low, very low. Everything above that is a pleasant suprise.

We live in a world with TOO MUCH information. You don't HAVE to be psyched to go see a movie. It might help some, but not everything in this
world has to be "EPIC" or an instant orgasm.

That's what fucked people up with The Last Jedi. They concocted all their stupid fantasies and scenarios and when they didn't play out like they
wanted they got all butt hurt.

In the end it's just a movie. It's not the second coming of Christ.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I loved the scenes of the hallway of the Falcon. The normally dingy, torn-up walls were pristine and white leading around the corner, and the shadowy images of the the cockpit and retro switches and buttons...it all looks vintage and purposeful. Couldn't stand how the prequel tech and spaceships looked light-years ahead of the original trilogy. In fact, that was one of the things that captured my imagination as a child, how all the ships seemed to have dings and dents; everything had a history and a story, we just didn't know it yet.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And everything probably works. Though I wouldn't count on the hyperdrive.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kurth wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:40 am That trailer did not get me psyched about this movie. Hope I’m surprised.
I have not been looking forward to this movie, but that trailer at least showed it was going in a different direction than i feared it would, so I am now probably in on the movie.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Hyena wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:54 am I loved the scenes of the hallway of the Falcon. The normally dingy, torn-up walls were pristine and white leading around the corner, and the shadowy images of the the cockpit and retro switches and buttons...it all looks vintage and purposeful. Couldn't stand how the prequel tech and spaceships looked light-years ahead of the original trilogy. In fact, that was one of the things that captured my imagination as a child, how all the ships seemed to have dings and dents; everything had a history and a story, we just didn't know it yet.
The disparity between the pristine tech in the prequels and the dingy stuff in the originals was intentional. In the prequels, the good guys were still running things, and they had nice stuff, and they could spring for the hot wax on their shiny ships. By the time we get to the originals, they're the rebellion and more worried about not getting blown up than having the scrapes buffed out. Notice how the Imperial tech looks nice in the original trilogy - they're the ones in power.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Yeah, that's one thing that wasn't wrong with the prequels. The ships were all new and the owners had the resources to keep them looking new. In Ep. IV - VI the Rebels were doing all they could just to keep the ships together. Looking good was a luxury they couldn't afford.

I will grant you that the tech "looked" more sophisticated than in the original, which was wrong.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:13 pm
Hyena wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:54 am I loved the scenes of the hallway of the Falcon. The normally dingy, torn-up walls were pristine and white leading around the corner, and the shadowy images of the the cockpit and retro switches and buttons...it all looks vintage and purposeful. Couldn't stand how the prequel tech and spaceships looked light-years ahead of the original trilogy. In fact, that was one of the things that captured my imagination as a child, how all the ships seemed to have dings and dents; everything had a history and a story, we just didn't know it yet.
The disparity between the pristine tech in the prequels and the dingy stuff in the originals was intentional. In the prequels, the good guys were still running things, and they had nice stuff, and they could spring for the hot wax on their shiny ships. By the time we get to the originals, they're the rebellion and more worried about not getting blown up than having the scrapes buffed out. Notice how the Imperial tech looks nice in the original trilogy - they're the ones in power.
Excellent point. I think I combined the two concepts, shiny ships and better tech, into a meta-opinion. The CGI quality had improved and I just assumed they wanted to show off their new graphics engines. That's most likely my mild dislike of the prequels showing through, however. I have a hard time thinking anything was done on purpose in Lucas' fevered dreams...
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Trailer seems fine. With this movie I'm mostly just annoyed about its existence, because there are so many better ideas for a Star Wars movie than a Han Solo origin film. It's conceivable that this might be the first Star Wars movie (beyond the OT, which I was too young for) that I don't see in the theatre. I think that will 90% depend on the reviews.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

JSHAW wrote:In the end it's just a movie. It's not the second coming of Christ.
Han saved Luke (twice) and was frozen in carbonite for his sins. Then he died for the galaxy trying to save Kylo Ren. Close enough.

:)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:39 pm
JSHAW wrote:In the end it's just a movie. It's not the second coming of Christ.
Han saved Luke (twice) and was frozen in carbonite for his sins. Then he died for the galaxy trying to save Kylo Ren. Close enough.

:)
Give credit where credit is due. Luke saved Han at the Sarlaac pit. No save from Luke and there'd be no Han dying for galaxy
attempting to save Kylo Ren. :D Technically Han didn't wind up IN the pit, did he? But gotta give Luke credit for showing up
at Jabba's crib.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

JSHAW wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:32 pm
Give credit where credit is due. Luke saved Han at the Sarlaac pit. No save from Luke and there'd be no Han dying for galaxy
attempting to save Kylo Ren. :D Technically Han didn't wind up IN the pit, did he? But gotta give Luke credit for showing up
at Jabba's crib.
Technically, had Luke not shown up at Jabba's, Han probably would not have been fed to the Sarlaac. The Rancor would have handled it. So, from a certain point of view, Luke almost got Han killed.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Fitzy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:13 pm So, from a certain point of view, Luke almost got Han killed.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It looks... OK. Worth being optimistic about. I'm a little relieved.

The biggest mental hurdle is the recasting of Han. Count me among those for whom this isn't a story that needs to be told. Recasting can work in some franchises. Especially where it's focused on one central character (e.g. James Bond.... I'm also willing to consider the recasting of Indiana Jones). But Star Wars was such an ensemble thing. Maybe I'll be surprised. I guess I could see caring less as a kid whose first exposure to Star Wars was the newest trilogy. But then... that's not who this is aimed at. Who is this aimed at?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Fitzy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:13 pm
at Jabba's crib.
Technically, had Luke not shown up at Jabba's, Han probably would not have been fed to the Sarlaac. The Rancor would have handled it. So, from a certain point of view, Luke almost got Han killed.
If we are looking to place blame, it's on Leia.. If she hadn't defrosted Han, He'd still be alive and on Jabba's wall.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Punisher wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:04 am
Fitzy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:13 pm
at Jabba's crib.
If we are looking to place blame, it's on Leia.. If she hadn't defrosted Han, He'd still be alive and on Jabba's wall.
What the hell was their rescue plan, anyway? "We'll send Leia ahead with Chewie turned in as a prisoner. Leia will then secretly unfreeze Han, then (presumably) rescue Chewie somehow on her way out. In the event that that goes to hell, we'll send R2-D2 and C3P0 as trade bait / possible prisoners and hope Jabba bargains. If that doesn't work, *then* we'll send Luke in to rescue Han plus everyone that we've sent to Jabba as additional prisoners..."
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

At least they had planned ahead for multiple outcomes. And they had Lando as an inside man.
It's almost as if people are the problem.