Han Solo movie in 2018

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Han Solo movie in 2018

Post by Daehawk »

Too bad it isn't Harrison Ford because its a prequel set in his life before Star Wars. So it could be great considering its from the coolest part of his history. All the black market backstabbing ship winning stuff in there.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/07/entertain ... index.html
Disney announced Tuesday that Christopher Miller and Phil Lord, the duo behind "The Lego Movie," will direct a feature about Han Solo's life before "Star Wars," slated to hit theaters in 2018.
The as-yet untitled movie will be written by Lawrence Kasdan and his son, Jon Kasdan. That screenwriting duo will probably satisfy the legions of devout "Star Wars" fans -- the elder Kasdan co-wrote "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi," in addition to J.J. Abrams' upcoming "Star Wars: The Force Awakens," due in December.
No casting was announced, although social media speculation immediately centered on Chris Pratt, the ascendant star of "Guardians of the Galaxy" and "Jurassic World."
oh HELL ya!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TiLT

Re: Han Solo movie in 2018

Post by TiLT »

This movie has been rumored for a while, so it's good to get it confirmed. There are other stories I'd rather have had told in this universe than Han Solo's origins, but I'll take it.

Without Chris Pratt, please. He's no Han Solo, and he'll never be.
Insert witty comment here.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Yes please no Chris Pratt. I like him, but let's not just jump on that band wagon, someone different please.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Gilbert Gottfried would make for a great Han Solo
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'd be down for Pratt as a new Indy. Not as a new Han.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

If not Pratt, who? Oh wait I hear Shia is available!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

rshetts2 wrote:If not Pratt, who? Oh wait I hear Shia is available!
This is a Star Wars movie. It doesn't need a well known movie star to sell tickets. In fact, I'd argue that it can be a detriment, for example if they chose Chris Pratt. It's better they go with an unknown actor, like they've done with The Force Awakens and with most of the other movies in the series, with only a few exceptions.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:I'd be down for Pratt as a new Indy. Not as a new Han.
I have no idea who would be a good Han but I think Geoff Stults could make a good Indy if he's not too old by now.

I agree with TiLT, I think Han would best be served by finding shopping long and hard for an appropraite unknown.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm also in the Pratt as Indy but not Solo camp.

I'd prefer they go with an unknown as well. I think the presence of big stars in the SW prequels hurt them quite a bit. I was happy to see they stuck with relative unknowns for the new movie.

Completely off-topic P.S: I am beyond excited that Gwendoline Christie is in the new movie. She kicks ass.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

TiLT wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:If not Pratt, who? Oh wait I hear Shia is available!
This is a Star Wars movie. It doesn't need a well known movie star to sell tickets. In fact, I'd argue that it can be a detriment, for example if they chose Chris Pratt. It's better they go with an unknown actor, like they've done with The Force Awakens and with most of the other movies in the series, with only a few exceptions.
Chill, Francis, that was a joke ( so was that, just in case it didnt translate well ). Actually I agree with not using Pratt for a number of reasons. First, Pratt overload. Hes doing great but has several things going now. With the financial success of Jurassic World, its pretty much guaranteed they will want to do another sequel, with Pratt. He has Guardians going strong and will have other Marvel appearances as well Im sure. Theres also talk of Pratt being the next Indy. How many movie series can the guy juggle? Second, Pratt is already identified with the role of Star Lord, which is very derivative of Han Solo. Having Pratt as Han would be like casting Johnny Depp in every pirate role to come out. Put Pratt in a Han Solo trilogy and you have the perfect storm of over exposure and type casting deluxe. So, yeah, I agree finding a solid, young and relatively unknown actor for the role would likely be a good thing. The actor will already have to overcome the shadow of Harrison Ford and make the role his own. It will be easier, if the new actor doesnt have a lot of recognition in other roles.
Last edited by rshetts2 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote:I'm also in the Pratt as Indy but not Solo camp.

I'd prefer they go with an unknown as well. I think the presence of big stars in the SW prequels hurt them quite a bit. I was happy to see they stuck with relative unknowns for the new movie.

Completely off-topic P.S: I am beyond excited that Gwendoline Christie is in the new movie. She kicks ass.

Except Christopher Lee. He was good.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, good point LM. I forgot about Christopher Lee.

Worst casting? Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu. I kept expecting him to shout, "Say Empire one more time muthaf----ah!"

And Natalie Portman, God bless her. Lovely on the eyes but she was absolutely wooden. That could be partially due to Lucas' directing though. He has a way of bringing out the absolute worst performance possible in his actors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote:Worst casting? Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu. I kept expecting him to shout, "Say Empire one more time muthaf----ah!"

And Natalie Portman, God bless her. Lovely on the eyes but she was absolutely wooden. That could be partially due to Lucas' directing though. He has a way of bringing out the absolute worst performance possible in his actors.
All true.
Holman

Post by Holman »

You guys are overlooking the Bantha in the room.
Spoiler:
Last edited by Holman on Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Out of any of the side-projects they have going on, this one holds the most promise.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
naednek

Post by naednek »

Nolan North :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Holman your spoiler just says IMAGE.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote:Holman your spoiler just says IMAGE.
Ah, sorry. Fixed.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I don't count Hayden Christensen because nobody knew who he was before Star Wars and Lucas ensured nobody will know of him after Star Wars.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Out of all the great stories that could be created from the Star Wars universe, they decide not to be original. We have three movies planned (I think):
1. Force Awakens - contains the old gang
2. Movie about the stealing of the Death Star plans - completely tied to a story we already know
3. Young Han - more Han Solo.

Give us a movie with some originality. Don't follow the path of the new Star Trek movies.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

McNutt wrote:Out of all the great stories that could be created from the Star Wars universe, they decide not to be original. We have three movies planned (I think):
1. Force Awakens - contains the old gang
2. Movie about the stealing of the Death Star plans - completely tied to a story we already know
3. Young Han - more Han Solo.

Give us a movie with some originality. Don't follow the path of the new Star Trek movies.
1) Not surprised they decided to include the "old crew" It looks to be a passing of the torch movie, thus the original gang. Its a new story with new characters and since its based on an established mythos total originality is impossible. Hopefully its entertaining and opens the door to more new stories.

2) We have one scene in 6 movies that deals with the Death Star plan heist. This, of all the movies planned so far looks to be the most original. Once again with an established mythos, there are going to be some ties to the previous movies, otherwise why make them Star Wars movies?

3) This one Ill give you.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Out of all the great stories that could be created from the Star Wars universe, they decide not to be original.
I hate to say it, but not much of the material that has come out of the Star Wars universe has been very original. They tend to stick really close to the "formula" for fear of pissing fans off or somehow wrecking continuity.

I really noticed this while watching Star Wars Rebels and realizing that just about every character in that show already exists as another character in the movies. They might change the race, the gender, or a minor detail here and there, but ultimately you're just watching plot devices from the movies over and over again.

It's going to be interesting to see whether the Disney acquisition makes the expanded universe more or less creative. On the up side, the money behind more movies opens up a lot more source material for authors and artists to work with. On the down side, they've pretty much locked themselves into keeping all of it canon which could stifle originality.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

We're talking about Disney, here. They don't do original. They're the Blizzard of not-video-games, they take stuff other people have created, file the numbers off, put on a shiny new coat of paint, and polish the shit out of it.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Zurai wrote:We're talking about Disney, here. They don't do original. They're the Blizzard of not-video-games, they take stuff other people have created, file the numbers off, put on a shiny new coat of paint, and polish the shit out of it.
you left out "PROFIT!"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

rshetts2 wrote: 1) Not surprised they decided to include the "old crew" It looks to be a passing of the torch movie, thus the original gang. Its a new story with new characters and since its based on an established mythos total originality is impossible. Hopefully its entertaining and opens the door to more new stories.

Not to mention, that this is a continuation of the original saga, moving things forward in the timeline, something that Lucas had been wanting to do ever since he had started talking about SW all those years ago. There was a wish for Episodes 7, 8, and 9. So, it's not like this has come out of the blue out of lacking ideas.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I can understand The Force Awakens being a continuation. I'd rather them go in a different direction and not try to tie it back to the original characters, but it's no big deal. It's just a little worrisome that the first three announced movies all tie back to characters/events from the original trilogy. I'm sure we'll next see an announcement for a Boba Fett movie. I want to see fresh ideas. I don't need to see the Falcon do the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs. The Star Wars universe is thousands of years old and there is no need to make everything center around a few decades.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alden Ehrenreich
The stand alone Han Solo film, expected to be called Han Solo: A Star Wars Story in keeping with this year’s Rogue One, is currently in preproduction under directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Perhaps anticipating the confirmation of Ehrenreich’s casting, Miller commemorated yesterday’s “May the 4th” festivities by tweeting out the first official image from the production – Han Solo’s iconic blaster

I guess I've seen him in Heavenly Creatures. He is also in Hail, Caesar!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

He was great in Hail, Caesar. I can see him doing well, but those are awfully big shoes to fill.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Don't care who plays Han. It's Lando they have to get right.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sepiche wrote:He was great in Hail, Caesar. I can see him doing well, but those are awfully big shoes to fill.
Are you saying he has teeny tiny feet? :shock:
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He's actually a pretty decent, charismatic actor. I think they chose wisely.

For Lando though, they need to just force Billy Dee Williams to continually reproduce until they come up with a son who looks, talks and acts just like him.

...ah, who the hell am I kidding? This is Billy Dee I'm talking about. There probably already are enough out there to fit the bill.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm fine with this casting. In fact, I've been really pleased with all the casting decision so far - Disney seems to be really treating the property right. I have no doubt they'll find a decent Lando.

Like this guy!

AjD

Post by AjD »

hepcat wrote:For Lando though, they need to just force Billy Dee Williams to continually reproduce until they come up with a son who looks, talks and acts just like him.
Close enough?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Slash Film
Star Wars: The Force Awakens concept artist Iain McCaig spoke earlier this month at the Art and Industry of Imagination conference in New Zealand, and apparently dropped some huge bits of information that had not shown up online until a report posted earlier today. Among them is a claim that after selling Lucasfilm to Disney, George Lucas decided he wanted to be involved and wrote a script for Episode VII which was rejected by the Mouse House. He also has a glowing review of Lawrence Kasdan‘s Han Solo movie script and much more.
McCaig says that Lawrence Kasdan actually wrote the script for the Han Solo: A Star Wars Story standalone movie before he began work on Episode VII, and that the screenplay is (paraphrasing):
By far the best Star Wars script, and one of the best scripts period, that I have ever read. I laughed, I cried, I did all the things you should do when reading a good script. You’re in for a treat.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

It's strange that they're treating the script penned by Lucas himself as news. We've known about it for quite some time. It wasn't something he wrote after the deal either, it was something he tossed in as part of it, something he had apparently worked on for a while.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So the next two stand alones are Han Solo and Boba Fett?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:Alden Ehrenreich
Confirmed
The three-day “Star Wars” celebration, aptly titled “Star Wars Celebration,” closed in London on Sunday with a few fun announcements, including official confirmation of the next Han Solo.

It’d been speculated for months that the new, younger Han Solo would be “Hail, Caesar!” actor Alden Ehrenreich. But now Disney and Lucasfilm were ready to make it official. Ehrenreich took the stage to greet his new “Star Wars” fans and officially confirm that he would be playing the lead role in the Han Solo origin movie. He was joined by “Lego Movie” directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Young Han Solo Audition Tapes - CONAN

50 Cent with the blaster! :lol:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Very fun Moliere, thanks for the share!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Casting: Donald Glover as...