Han Solo movie in 2018

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Re: Han Solo movie in 2018

Post by AWS260 »

$iljanus wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:03 am Thanks a lot. Now I'm really hankering for a lobster roll.
Actual storyboard from RotJ:

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:08 am Ah, thanks for the info. Still think it's drama queens kvetching mostly, but at least now I understand that Jar Jar Binks was a well written and complex character to some.
I mean, there's a LOT of kvetching around TLJ generally. We're just talking about a subset of the kvetchers who make a lot of the same criticisms but just blame the poor decisions on SJWs.

As an aside, I still don't understand why people bitch about a lot of the plot decisions in TLJ (i.e. "why do they suddenly need fuel in space?") but almost no one seems to complain about how Rogue One explains the existence of the flaw in the Death Star as intentional sabotage, which is a dumber idea than anything in TFA or TLJ.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

msduncan wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:19 am Also, I see that my avoidance of the R&P forums is clearly still the right thing.
And your placement of diatribes in EBG is still the wrong thing.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I also really disliked TLJ and thought Laura Dern was terrible in the role, but my reasons for hating it have nothing to do with any social "message" they were trying to send (and if they were trying to send one, it wasn't super obvious to me as it clearly went over my head).

But really, who are the main characters in the new trilogy? Rey, Finn, Adam Driver as emo-dude, and arguably Leia, Luke, and Han. That's still male biased, so I'm not sure where the idea that they're pushing girl-power comes from.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:16 am I also really disliked TLJ and thought Laura Dern was terrible in the role, but my reasons for hating it have nothing to do with any social "message" they were trying to send (and if they were trying to send one, it wasn't super obvious to me as it clearly went over my head).

But really, who are the main characters in the new trilogy? Rey, Finn, Adam Driver as emo-dude, and arguably Leia, Luke, and Han. That's still male biased, so I'm not sure where the idea that they're pushing girl-power comes from.
Right, this is essentially my point - same criticisms, different attribution. I think part of it is if you're focused on something (here, on the idea that SJW people are forcing SJW themes into culture, and focused on political correctness generally), then you will see it in a lot of places even if it's not obviously there.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The one truly annoying thing to me was that weird, goofy ass green milk scene on planet Jedi. That was just bizarre.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:31 am The one truly annoying thing to me was that weird, goofy ass green milk scene on planet Jedi. That was just bizarre.
Obviously a dig at the dairy industry and the evils of pasteurized milk.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

#RawGreenMilkIsNotACrime
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It made me wonder what a Star Wars film directed by John Waters would be like.

My god, that would be magnificent...
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

msduncan wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:19 amCHOKE on the next two years of Trump. I'm enjoying it.
I say this with the utmost sincerity - get help.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

hepcat wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:12 am It made me wonder what a Star Wars film directed by John Waters would be like.

I'd watch that.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Archinerd wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:48 am
hepcat wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:12 am It made me wonder what a Star Wars film directed by John Waters would be like.

I'd watch that.
Here, hold my light saber.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Had a long response about how the use of the term "social justice" in some instances seems to be the new code for "set asides" or "affirmative action" or "things were better in the 50s" but I'll just leave it by saying that "canon" is spelled with one "n".

Edit: Doh! AWS260 already covered the canon thing. Now where will my outrage go?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

AWS260 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:22 am
msduncan wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:34 amcannon
canon
wreckless
reckless
sub part
subpar
Cornelius Evazan
Dr. Cornelius Evazan. He didn't spend all those years in space med school for nothing!
Apologize for the terrible spelling. I was too busy beating my fingers against my phone to not catch the wrong-spelling-but-still-real-words aspect of my paragraphs. Spell check couldn't save me.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Jeff V wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:12 pm

I'd watch that.
I've actually only seen Pecker, which is probably one of his more mainstream movies. I imagine a Star Wars movie directed by him would have to be pretty mainstream too though. If granting your request is all it would take to make this happen, then I'm your man. ;)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

msduncan wrote:
canon
wreckless
reckless
sub part
subpar
Cornelius Evazan
Dr. Cornelius Evazan. He didn't spend all those years in space med school for nothing!
Apologize for the terrible spelling. I was too busy beating my fingers against my phone to not catch the wrong-spelling-but-still-real-words aspect of my paragraphs. Spell check couldn't save me.
Spell check is the worst. Sometimes it wants to insert some profanity that comes close to the word I want. Just because I infrequently use profanity doesn't give you the right to judge me you fucking despotic spell checking AI.

But yeah, spell check sucks.
Black lives matter!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Guys plz this isn't R&P or be mean to others thread. Its just a SOLO movie thread. Plz stop being mean now. Theres ice cream after the show. I lied..no ice cream cept for me because theres a McDonalds right outside our theater and they have some we'll get. If I get to go. Dont ruin this for me. :) I have $20 for my birthday :) happy happy joy joy
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

$iljanus wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:32 pm
msduncan wrote:
canon
wreckless
reckless
sub part
subpar
Cornelius Evazan
Spell check is the worst. Sometimes it wants to insert some profanity that comes close to the word I want. Just because I infrequently use profanity doesn't give you the right to judge me you fucking despotic spell checking AI.

But yeah, spell check sucks.
Hey...duck you, man.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:35 pm Guys plz this isn't R&P or be mean to others thread. Its just a SOLO movie thread. Plz stop being mean now. Theres ice cream after the show. I lied..no ice cream cept for me because theres a McDonalds right outside our theater and they have some we'll get. If I get to go. Dont ruin this for me. :) I have $20 for my birthday :) happy happy joy joy
I can post some Star Wars charity pics if it helps?

It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill post a happy picture too. Its Han & Leah. Happy now?
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm just waiting for the ice cream.
Black Lives Matter.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Daehawk wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:13 pm Ill post a happy picture too. Its Han & Leah. Happy now?
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Is that from the John Waters Solo movie?
naednek

Post by naednek »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:19 am
msduncan wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:19 amCHOKE on the next two years of Trump. I'm enjoying it.
I say this with the utmost sincerity - get help.

I'm just glad it's only going to be 2 more years and not 6
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

and to make everyone laugh...

Solo Cups is really enjoying the free advertising :)

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Archinerd wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:35 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:13 pm Ill post a happy picture too. Its Han & Leah. Happy now?
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Is that from the John Waters Solo movie?
Her breasts are too small. Go see A Dirty Shame.
Black Lives Matter
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

I would buy a pack of SOLO cups if they had Star Wars characters or pics on them.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Archinerd wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:17 pm
Jeff V wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:12 pm

I'd watch that.
I've actually only seen Pecker, which is probably one of his more mainstream movies. I imagine a Star Wars movie directed by him would have to be pretty mainstream too though. If granting your request is all it would take to make this happen, then I'm your man. ;)
I’m a John Waters fan. The guy is freakin’ hysterical. I recently read his book Carsick, in which he decided to just hitchhike across the U.S. for no reason. He was the maverick indie filmmaker before they even invented the term.
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just got invited to a preview screening the day before it opens. Free Star Wars!!!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hentzau wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:20 am Just got invited to a preview screening the day before it opens. Free Star Wars!!!
Social Justice FTW! :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hentzau wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:20 am Just got invited to a preview screening the day before it opens. Free Star Wars!!!
Go dressed as Spock.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Did anyone get clarification on what "social justice crap" means as it relates to the Star Wars movies? It would be great if msd would actually share his views on what specifically he's having difficulty accepting. Otherwise he might just as well have said the new movies are "bad" and I don't like them because of that.

I'll leave off comments about how "stigginit" is totally worth it to have a 2 bit hustler in the white house. Or will I?

But in all seriousness, I can guess at 20 things off the top of my head that msd might be referencing. If he wants to put in the effort to let us know of his displeasure, the least he could do is explain what it is that is causing it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im a huge SJW hater but Ive not gotten that feeling at all from the new movies. I also haven't looked to see what people are listing because then I might see it and not be able to get past it. But just as a fan Ive not seen or felt anything from the movies.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Reviews are starting to coming in. Sounds like it's a mixed bag. From the NYT review:
[Solo] ambles from one set piece to the next in a spirit of genial in-betweenness. It doesn’t take itself too seriously, but it also holds whatever irreverent, anarchic impulses it might possess in careful check.
There are some fine action sequences, and some that don’t make much sense at all.
But one thing that remains curiously unexplored is how Han became the wary, cynical guy Princess Leia (and everyone else) fell for back in the Carter administration. It’s not really Mr. Ehrenreich’s fault that he doesn’t evoke Harrison Ford. (Though the idea of Mr. Glover aging into Billy Dee Williams creates a magical loop in the pop-cultural space-time continuum.) It’s more that the time line can’t quite adjust. Guys like the old Han Solo belong to the past. We’re all supposed to be much nicer now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats what Ive never liked about the new Star Wars movies....they jump from here to there to the next never giving you much substance. The yare like "Hey look at this place!" or "Hey check out this thing here on this thing!" and on and on.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Toxic fans of Star Wars:
Something is deeply broken among the Star Wars faithful. Respectable discourse has deterioriated completely as a small but determined minority of “fans” turn to the Dark Side—hate-spewing assholes looking to ruin the party for everyone, and often succeeding.

Disney and Lucasfilm’s Solo: A Star Wars Story hits theaters in 10 days, which means the movie’s creators, actors and normal fans who just like a good lightsaber battle should quickly find a Hoth-like hideout to survive the inevitable online backlash and warmongering fallout.
And..

Ultra right-wing fans have taken extreme umbrage with the sequel trilogy and anthologies’ emphasis on diversity. These viewers can’t seem to accept a black main character (John Boyega’s Finn) or heroic female leads (Daisy Ridley’s Rey and Felicity Jones’ Jyn Erso from Rogue One).
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ultra right-wing fans have taken extreme umbrage with the sequel trilogy and anthologies’ emphasis on diversity. These viewers can’t seem to accept a black main character (John Boyega’s Finn) or heroic female leads (Daisy Ridley’s Rey and Felicity Jones’ Jyn Erso from Rogue One).
I'm in the weird position of seeing both sides of this, as I used to be in the right-wing camp not too long ago. From that perspective, attempts at diversity rang false because it felt like political correctness run amok. Instead of just telling the story, black/female/Asian characters felt shoe-horned in to fulfill some kind of quota.

As many of you know from R&P, my political views pretty much did a 180 starting with the complete trainwreck that was the NC governor and compounded by our current administration. After getting "woke" :lol: I started viewing the insertion of minority characters not as an attack on traditional white-dominated media or heavy-handed liberalism, but as an attempt to correct an imbalance that has literally existed since movies were invented.

Are Hollywood's attempts at correcting these imbalances transparent (sometimes laughably so?) Sure. But that doesn't make them unnecessary. The only way we get true representation up on the screen is to keep filling the screens with these characters until it no longer feels like a gimmick. Because it should have never seemed like a gimmick in the first place.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's amazing that we don't bat an eye at literally hundreds of made-up races in these things, but the second they start putting in people that look like you might actually meet them, all hell breaks lose.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I dunno. There was a pretty big backlash against Gungans.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:38 pm From that perspective, attempts at diversity rang false because it felt like political correctness run amok. Instead of just telling the story, black/female/Asian characters felt shoe-horned in to fulfill some kind of quota.
This sort of thinking is just completely foreign to me. I honestly can't wrap my head around it at all. A character is just a character, and their race or gender (especially in the vast SW universe) is completely and utterly irrelevant. Unless, of course, that you're actively looking to be offended by something, which is apparently a more widespread view than I would have initially suspected.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.