Han Solo movie in 2018

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Han Solo movie in 2018

Post by hepcat »

Archinerd wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:47 pm I dunno. There was a pretty big backlash against Gungans.

Well, not the light pink Gungans. The dark purple ones though? :x
He won. Period.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

This video embedded in that Toxic Star Wars fans story pretty much sums up how I feel about Luke at least.

The 'ultra right-wing' quotes from that story are tripe. Sure, those people exist but trolls reside all across the spectrum. Social media is full of trolls. I'll alert the media (no pun intended).

So the cast is diverse, great! I'm like Skinypupy in that I never took note of it until it was pointed out. I do find it a little curious why that is even being celebrated as something novel or new:

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

It hurts me to say it but Episode VIII just isn't that good, especially what RJ did with Luke.

Anyway, to try to stay in ball park of the topic I'll saying that I'm low key looking forward to Solo. Some of the lines I've seen in the commercials look pretty good and I'm sure the action will be on point.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Star wars fans can just plain suck. We are getting more Star wars than ever but... People just can't enjoy it. It's around 1000x better than the prequel era and so enjoyable but meh many star wars fans will never be happy.

The sjw stuff just boggles the mind. I'm conservative but nothing even remotely made me think sjw were being shoe horned in.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Man, it would be great if we could keep Trump and SJW and all that crap out of a Solo thread, wouldn’t it? I could care less why Ms. Duncan is OUTRAGED about diversity in the new Star Wars films. No explanation needed or wanted. Please let it die.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I added the linked article because apparently it's a "thing', seemingly coming to a head with this newest release. I had no idea. Figured others might want to see it's not isolated to our corner of the internet. No disrespect intended. Han shot first!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:53 am I added the linked article because apparently it's a "thing', seemingly coming to a head with this newest release. I had no idea. Figured others might want to see it's not isolated to our corner of the internet. No disrespect intended. Han shot first!
Agreed!
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

If the movie doesn't show how he gets his Corellian Bloodstripes then it's an epic fail for me.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I realize I'm not a huge Star Wars nerd (I thought I sorta was) because I have no idea what Corellian Blood Stripes are.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

McNutt wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:31 pm I realize I'm not a huge Star Wars nerd (I thought I sorta was) because I have no idea what Corellian Blood Stripes are.
Ditto. Now ask me what Pon farr is and i'll talk your ear off. :oops:
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:
McNutt wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:31 pm I realize I'm not a huge Star Wars nerd (I thought I sorta was) because I have no idea what Corellian Blood Stripes are.
Ditto. Now ask me what Pon farr is and i'll talk your ear off. :oops:
Now I have a hankering for plomeek soup...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

It's a military award on Corellia. (shows up as the stripes on the sides of his pants)
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I heard Han was awarded them when Marcia and Gary were discussing how to make a pair of ratty old pants look more futuristic.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

lol

One level of his stripes was supposedly awarded when he rescued Chewbacca. I don't know the details though.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

True Solo...Harrison's face used in all trailer shots.

https://vimeo.com/269521031
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Just got back...after going in with very low expectations I came away completely happy with the film. There was a bit of “box checking” but you have to kind of expect that in this movie.

Highly recommended. Will be going to see it again soon.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

hentzau wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:22 pm Just got back...after going in with very low expectations I came away completely happy with the film. There was a bit of “box checking” but you have to kind of expect that in this movie.

Highly recommended. Will be going to see it again soon.
I agree, I really liked the movie once I got past the fact that it is not Harrison Ford's Han Solo, but I thought he did a good job with the character.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:58 am Star wars fans can just plain suck. We are getting more Star wars than ever but... People just can't enjoy it. It's around 1000x better than the prequel era and so enjoyable but meh many star wars fans will never be happy...
I think one problem is that every Star Wars movie is being crafted from a single movie that came out over 40 years ago. Compare that to the three years of TV episodes that the original Star Trek movies had to draw from as source material, or the 10's of thousands of comics that the Marvel movies have to draw from now. It's not as if Star Wars was some huge, 12 volume work of fantasy by some famous author. It was a brilliantly conceived movie that has had very, very long legs. But as much as I loved the first three movies, and will cherish them forever, I really don't have any desire to see more of that universe than I've already seen.

If you're really enjoying the new movies, you should be happy since they are making massive amounts of money and as long as they continue to do so they'll continue to crank them out. But you're definitely going to hear more complaining I'm afraid.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The unfortunate part of the whole Star Wars saga was that this entire universe was hinted at, but then authors felt that the only parts, characters, and plotlines we could explore was the tiny piece we saw in the original trilogy.

I'm happy that the new films (not these one-offs) are starting to explore that larger universe and crawl out of the shadow of the original trilogy.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Apollo wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:37 amI really don't have any desire to see more of that universe than I've already seen.
That's more or less my main desire... just to see more of that universe. Much like after seeing my first episode of Star Trek, or my first Marvel comic... I liked it and wanted to see more.

Now I do want to see it done well, and so far I feel like these have been done just fine.

But you don't need to warn me about hearing future complaints... That also has always come with the Star Wars universe.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I have tickets for Sunday, but mostly just because a friend wanted to go. If it wasn't for that, I doubt I'd bother to see it in the theater. Honestly, this is the least excited I've ever been for a Star Wars movie. Maybe that's good, because my expectations for this movie are pretty much nil.

I think I've finally just reached peak Star Wars. It used to be that I could follow pretty much everything going on in the universe. Name a character, and I knew exactly where he/she/it fit in. Now that we have this massive glut of movies, games, shows, cartoons, books, comics, etc., I simply can't keep up anymore.

There was an article the other day that was talking about how some of these expanded universe characters were connected (either at io9 or IGN, I can't remember), and I honestly didn't even recognize half of the names. They were talking about characters from multiple cartoon series, the new main episodes, the spin-offs...it was all just a big damn blur and I completely lost interest.

Maybe I'm finally just getting too old for this shit.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

My concern is it answers every little question and fills in all the little bits of the backstory. For instance, I don't care what a Parsec is and I would prefer we don't learn why Greedo sends Jabba after Han.

For those of you who have seen this, does the movie answer these questions? If yes to either, I have no interest.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Archinerd wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:30 am why Greedo sends Jabba after Han.
Strike that, reverse it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Archinerd wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:30 am My concern is it answers every little question and fills in all the little bits of the backstory. For instance, I don't care what a Parsec is and I would prefer we don't learn why Greedo sends Jabba after Han.

For those of you who have seen this, does the movie answer these questions? If yes to either, I have no interest.
You don't need a Star Wars movie to learn what a parsec is.
Hodor.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Archinerd wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:30 am My concern is it answers every little question and fills in all the little bits of the backstory. For instance, I don't care what a Parsec is and I would prefer we don't learn why Greedo sends Jabba after Han.

There was quite a lot of "here's how that thing happened!" and "here's why that thing you know about is that way!" Some of them worked ok for me, but it was excessive.

Fake example: "Hey, you know how Han always wears a vest in the movies? Look, he grew up in a vest factory! See? It all makes sense now! Vests are really important to him!"

Overall my rating of the movie, as someone who really enjoyed the all three other new movies, was "eh, it was ok." Not the worst thing ever, not great. One review I saw on Rotten Tomatoes said it was "flawed, but fun." I think that's about right.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Thanks for the answers. I'll wait for video I think.
Skinypupy wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:34 am
Archinerd wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:30 am why Greedo sends Jabba after Han.
Strike that, reverse it.
Spoiler!
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Saw it tonight with the family. Not good. Very little emotion from the characters and the story wasn't interesting. Action scenes were not realistic, even for Star Wars. My kids thought it was ok and enjoyable to watch.

We went to the six o'clock showing on a Friday night of opening weekend and the theater wasn't more than 25% full.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ouch, that doesn't sound too promising. Normally SW would be a much bigger draw, and on opening weekend no less!
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:42 pm Ouch, that doesn't sound too promising. Normally SW would be a much bigger draw, and on opening weekend no less!
Solo made $14.1 million yesterday. I'll take that number over a single anecdote.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Star Wars fatigue. Used to take 3 years for a new Star Wars movie...its only been 5 months since the last one came out .

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/25/media/s ... index.html
We're experiencing "Star Wars" saturation. When the first movie came out in 1977, fans had to wait three years for each new film. Another 16 years went by until the prequels. It was yet another decade before the franchise was reawakened by "The Force Awakens."

It's only been five months since "The Last Jedi," but here comes "Solo."
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

For me, Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi completely annihilated any interest I originally had for Star Wars as a whole. Not because of politics, but because I felt it was just a really disappointing Star Wars movie with exceedingly shallow new characters, which also did away with original characters in rather dismissive fashion. The new Star Wars characters and universe hold no interest for me, and I'm even less interested in seeing how Disney plans to retcon the original characters they did such a dissatisfying job with in their main trilogy.

I very much enjoyed Rogue One, but unless any other Star Wars movies garner a similar critical response, I plan on skipping them all. I can only assume they're just not aimed at Gen-Xers like me anyway, and perhaps they have greater appeal for a younger audience. But they're definitely not my cuppa.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know why they cant tell a story with unknowns. Someone on the other side of the galaxy. A new species. Something.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, 71% on RT. By far the lowest score for the new SW movies.

I’m still going to see it of course, because Star Wars. And if it wasn’t for that, I love me some Donald Glover.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Daehawk wrote:Star Wars fatigue. Used to take 3 years for a new Star Wars movie...its only been 5 months since the last one came out .
I don't think Disney's going to buy the fatigue argument until people stop buying tickets. They're looking over at Marvel which has released at *least* one (and most times multiple) superhero movies every year for a decade and going.."Ehhh, if this is what fatigue looks like then we'll take it."
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

The difference is that Marvel consistently puts out good movies and often puts out excellent movies. The ratio of good to bad is much higher with Marvel.
Last edited by McNutt on Sat May 26, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

As I’ve mentioned before, I thought TLJ was terrible, but all the new Star Wars have gotten great critical reception, with the exception of Solo (which still isn’t bad for a summer action flick). So I’m sure the studio would argue with your premise that they’re putting out bad movies.
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

McNutt wrote:The difference is that Marvel consistently puts out good movies and often puts out excellent movies. The ratio of good to bad is much higher with Marvel.
You say this but what evidence do you have star wars is putting out bad movies? Is it that the huge box office numbers? The excellent critical response? Fans can complain but all of the metrics a movie producer cares about seem to be showing every movie to be a massive success and very good movies. But they probably aren't spending as much time checking with angsty fans on message boards.

Solo is getting a lower critical response but it would be hard to call it bad. We will see how the box office goes.

I really enjoyed it. It's like the antman of star wars. Good movie. Fun to watch. Not particularly groundbreaking.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm speaking for myself.

After a childhood of Star Wars I saw three terrible prequel movies, an okay (at best) Ep VII, a great Rogue One and an okay at best Ep VIII. So for me, they've lost their must-see status.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

They'll keep milking the franchise as long as the cattle keep lining up...which they will most likely do for a long time to come.

Reviews generally agree that this one is for fans only, and not especially pleasing even to them. Since I am not one, it won't even make my netflix queue.
Daehawk wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:02 am I dont know why they cant tell a story with unknowns. Someone on the other side of the galaxy. A new species. Something.
This is the only approach that might draw me back in, but fans seem to really want the same story and characters over and over.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Moooooooo!
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:08 pm They'll keep milking the franchise as long as the cattle keep lining up...which they will most likely do for a long time to come.

Reviews generally agree that this one is for fans only, and not especially pleasing even to them. Since I am not one, it won't even make my netflix queue.
Daehawk wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 2:02 am I dont know why they cant tell a story with unknowns. Someone on the other side of the galaxy. A new species. Something.
This is the only approach that might draw me back in, but fans seem to really want the same story and characters over and over.
I would agree with that assessment. I'm a fan and I really enjoyed it. I want to see it again, but no urgent need. As for non fans, it won't disappoint, it's a fun movie. But it also isn't must-see. I think most people would enjoy it about as much as any summer flick, but they won't leave the theater thinking deeply about it and they'll soon forget it. If it didn't have the name Star Wars attached it would be an interesting sci-fi flick somewhere like pacific rim. Cool. Interesting. Next. Plus Glover is awesome, and I was very, very worried about him. I want to see more of him honestly.

For fans though it hits a nice note. It has lots of nice tie ins, and lots of fun things that fans will nod their heads as they hear them. It will be a nice addition but not particularly noteworthy. I'm interested to see where or rather if they go forward with this. There are interesting places this movie could lead to. Time will tell.