Tea & Kombucha

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

Re: Tea

Post by hitbyambulance »

mori wrote:I like the PG Tips tea as well but I cannot tell much of a difference between that and Twinings.
Try the Twinings (for consumption in the UK) vs Twinings of London (for consumption in the US) - there's a difference there.
Blackhawk wrote:I just ordered a box of Yorkshire Gold from Taylors of Harrogate. I've never tried it, but it reviewed really, really well.
you're gonna love that
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:I just ordered a box of Yorkshire Gold from Taylors of Harrogate. I've never tried it, but it reviewed really, really well.
you're gonna love that
And I do! I'm very happy now.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i would urge any black tea drinkers here to at least try Fortnum & Mason's Assam Superb. it's of course pricier (and you'll need to import from the UK), but you will see for yourself just how good black tea can be.

https://www.fortnumandmason.com/product ... superb-tea
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i've tried a lot* of black teas over the past half-decade, and i can say out of all those, these are the two best:

Fortnum & Mason: Assam Superb (loose leaf or tea bag, mentioned in the post above)

Choice Organic: English Breakfast (whole leaf tea bags)

i highly recommend either of these just to see what a difference quality makes.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hitbyambulance wrote:i've tried a lot* of black teas over the past half-decade, and i can say out of all those, these are the two best:

Fortnum & Mason: Assam Superb (loose leaf or tea bag, mentioned in the post above)

Choice Organic: English Breakfast (whole leaf tea bags)

i highly recommend either of these just to see what a difference quality makes.
I'm still really happy with the PG Tips you recommended, but I'll make it a point to try these someday. Thanks!
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

http://punjana.com/our-teas/irish-breakfast-blend/
i just had Thompson Family Teas (formerly Punjana) Irish Breakfast Blend, and i will say it is among the very best inexpensive teas i have ever had. much prefer it to PG Tips. an ashy, smoky smell, but very smooth with no bitterness and a very deep flavor aspect. very recommended.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Not sure how I missed this thread, but thankful for having found it. I just began drinking a lot of black tea trying to shift away from coffee in the afternoons. Mostly the lower-quality big brand names. It's okay, but I am definitely going to try out some of what's recommended here. Thanks!
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Holman

Post by Holman »

Anyone else have this problem?

I can't drink black tea. It makes me nauseous, sometimes severely so.

I can drink herbal tea, and I can (and do) drink all the coffee I want. What's in tea that hurts my stomach?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Holman wrote:Anyone else have this problem?

I can drink herbal tea, and I can (and do) drink all the coffee I want. What's in tea that hurts my stomach?
Camellia sinensis - buuuut it would be interesting to see if different oxidization/aging levels affect you. try out white (no oxidization) and green (little oxidization) to pu'er (oxidized and aged to an extreme and good for digestion).
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Smutly wrote:Not sure how I missed this thread, but thankful for having found it. I just began drinking a lot of black tea trying to shift away from coffee in the afternoons. Mostly the lower-quality big brand names. It's okay, but I am definitely going to try out some of what's recommended here. Thanks!
i mentioned this earlier in the thread (i think), but affordable tea made for the UK market tends to be of a much higher quality than the same priced tea in the US - even within the same brand. (e.g. UK Lipton is alright, but the US-sold version is dreadful.) try getting some export product (like any of my recommendations) to start.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote:http://punjana.com/our-teas/irish-breakfast-blend/
i just had Thompson Family Teas (formerly Punjana) Irish Breakfast Blend, and i will say it is among the very best inexpensive teas i have ever had. much prefer it to PG Tips. an ashy, smoky smell, but very smooth with no bitterness and a very deep flavor aspect. very recommended.
I just added a pack to my wish list.

Twinings is selling an Earl Grey with jasmine that I've been loving, by the way.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hitbyambulance wrote:
Holman wrote:Anyone else have this problem?

Camellia sinensis - buuuut it would be interesting to see if different oxidization/aging levels affect you. try out white (no oxidization) and green (little oxidization) to pu'er (oxidized and aged to an extreme and good for digestion).
I'm wary because the risk of unhappy nausea is high, but maybe I'll give variables a chance.

I believe green tea has also been a problem for me in the past.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

hitbyambulance wrote:
Smutly wrote:Not sure how I missed this thread, but thankful for having found it. I just began drinking a lot of black tea trying to shift away from coffee in the afternoons. Mostly the lower-quality big brand names. It's okay, but I am definitely going to try out some of what's recommended here. Thanks!
i mentioned this earlier in the thread (i think), but affordable tea made for the UK market tends to be of a much higher quality than the same priced tea in the US - even within the same brand. (e.g. UK Lipton is alright, but the US-sold version is dreadful.) try getting some export product (like any of my recommendations) to start.
I've ordered PG Tips and Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold. Just small quantities to see how I like them. :-)
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Yorkshire Gold is fantastic, but make sure you pay attention to brewing times. You don't want to over brew any tea, but breakfast teas most of all.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Smutly wrote:I've ordered PG Tips and Taylors of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold. Just small quantities to see how I like them. :-)
PG Tips can actually be sourced locally at Target Superstores(at least in Florida). It's actual "Product of England" unlike the Twinings that Target carries. $4.49 for a forty bag box. I use two bags to make a pitcher. Just picked up another box tonight. I didn't see it on the shelf at first, and was about to run home to send Target a very unhappy email. lol
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Holman wrote: I'm wary because the risk of unhappy nausea is high, but maybe I'll give variables a chance.
but it's FOOORRRRR SCIIIIIEENNNCCCCCE

also, for non-tea infusions that fall under the 'herbal' category, try rooibos and mate.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

another recommendation: if one is really on a budget or wants a cheap backup, the Trader Joe's Irish OR English Breakfast is perfectly fine for the very reasonable price of $2.99 for 80 tea bags. (or, it's the best bargain-basement, easily-available-in-the-US black tea i've yet tried.)
Holman

Post by Holman »

hitbyambulance wrote:
Holman wrote: I'm wary because the risk of unhappy nausea is high, but maybe I'll give variables a chance.
but it's FOOORRRRR SCIIIIIEENNNCCCCCE

also, for non-tea infusions that fall under the 'herbal' category, try rooibos and mate.
I do like those, but I like coffee more.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm trying out kombucha brewing now. my first batch went bad, as mold started growing on the surface. i checked some how-tos, and you're supposed to keep houseplants away from it. i moved the ficus away with the second batch, and the brew turned out beautifully. going to bottle it today and start two more jars.
mori

Post by mori »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:49 pm i'm trying out kombucha brewing now. my first batch went bad, as mold started growing on the surface. i checked some how-tos, and you're supposed to keep houseplants away from it. i moved the ficus away with the second batch, and the brew turned out beautifully. going to bottle it today and start two more jars.
What did you use for a SCOBY? I enjoy kombucha but have only had commercial examples.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

mori wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:15 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:49 pm i'm trying out kombucha brewing now. my first batch went bad, as mold started growing on the surface. i checked some how-tos, and you're supposed to keep houseplants away from it. i moved the ficus away with the second batch, and the brew turned out beautifully. going to bottle it today and start two more jars.
What did you use for a SCOBY? I enjoy kombucha but have only had commercial examples.
turns out i know a few people who have been trying this out, so i got a SCOBY from someone in my bike club. of course, every brewing will produce a new SCOBY so you will have more than what you know what to do with in a short time. (you can also store them in the refrigerator in a bath of kombucha or vinegar)

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-yo ... chn-202596

apparently you can use store-bought (raw, unflavored) kombucha to create one.

the tea i'm using is a black currant one from TeaSource (based in Roseville, MN): https://www.teasource.com/products/curr ... -tea-blend
Isgrimnur

Re: Tea & Kombucha

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

poured the first finished bottle today. it barely carbonated at all, but the flavor is totally fine. at the suggestion of a friend, i'm adding slices of ginger to the next batch.

one of my two 'first brew vats' developed mold - i believe the acidity was off and so i need to get a pH meter. the other vat is very healthy looking - going to bottle that on Sunday.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hitbyambulance wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:13 am poured the first finished bottle today. it barely carbonated at all, but the flavor is totally fine. at the suggestion of a friend, i'm adding slices of ginger to the next batch.

one of my two 'first brew vats' developed mold - i believe the acidity was off and so i need to get a pH meter. the other vat is very healthy looking - going to bottle that on Sunday.
Meh, I think I'll stick to PG Tips after seeing the word "fatalities" in the kombucha wiki. Be careful. :wink:
mori

Post by mori »

I think previous homebrewing experience would be beneficial here. Sanitation is the single most important thing in brewing anything. Limiting exposure to outside contaminates is the most important ingredient.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

last batch turned out very well. going to add ginger to this one to aid in second fermentation carbonation.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

current batch *really* did well. carbonation is good and flavor is (very) good.

recipe i'm using for one gallon batches using two half-gallon jars:

3 Tbsp loose-leaf tea (black or green, avoid any with citrus added. and herbal tisanes will not work!)
12 cups water
1 cup sugar
2 cups starter (kombucha brewed from previous batch)
2 SCOBYs

* Bring 6 cups water to boil, then steep black tea 10 minutes (you can re-brew the leaves one more time after this for a pitcher of iced tea, if you want. i haven't tried any other kind of tea than black yet)
* Add remaining water and let cool to <= 80 degrees F
* Add and stir in sugar
* Pour 1 cup starter into a half gallon jar, repeat with other jar
* Add 1 SCOBY to each jar
* Divide just-brewed tea between both jars
* Cover jars with clean cloth (scraps of old t-shirts work well) and rubber band cloth around jar openings
* Let sit 7-14 days - start sampling at 6 days. (should be tart and not too sugary. I've found i need about 2 1/2 weeks)
* When ready, reserve two cups of this newly-brewed kombucha as starter for the next batch, then decant the rest into pressure-top bottles - four standard sized ones are all that are needed with this batch size. Two new SCOBYs will have been created - you can use these for the next batch or use the previous ones
* Add 1 tsp sugar or 1-2 ginger slices per bottle for carbonation. There is a lot that can be done at this time to flavor the kombucha (adding juiced fruits or whatever - this is outside the scope of this recipe! Research on the interwebz.) Let sit for 4-7 days
* When desired carbonation level is reached, refrigerate

note that the whole process drastically reduces this beverage's caffeine content from the original tea leaves. there really shouldn't be much sugar left when done, either.

it's very easy to do once you've done it a couple times, and the end result has consistently turned out well - many people have tried it and it's always been reviewed positively.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

PG Tips is actually on the shelf at Walmart now. It's a bit hard to locate as it's usually only one or two boxes and it doesn't get top shelf placement.

I'm too much of a slacker to try Kombucha, I'd probably accidentally kill myself. :doh:
mori

Post by mori »

I have been enjoying the Kirkland (Costco) brand of green tea. But the problem anything Costco, you end up with a shit ton of it. I give away handful of packets to anyone that drinks tea.

I wonder why not more breweries offer Kombucha. With fewer young people drinking alcohol seems like an easy to produce crafted product that might appeal to them. Offer an option besides water or soda for non drinkers. The few breweries I have been to that have offered Kombucha had very enjoyable offerings.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

mori wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:02 pm I have been enjoying the Kirkland (Costco) brand of green tea.
i take it you're talking about the Ito En brand sencha/matcha blend from Japan that Costco licenses to rebrand and sell in their stores. it is pretty decent and you can rebrew each bag once as well, but since the tea bags are made out of nylon (and therefore not biodegradable) i don't drink it anymore. too much plastic waste in the world already.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

started a kombucha batch composed entirely of pu'erh tea. i have no idea how this is going to turn out, but i will update here in about 2.5 weeks time.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the pu'erh turned out *extremely* well - to the point where i think it's the best i've yet made. the 'kombuchaification' super mellowed out the earthiness of the pu'erh, leaving behind a satisfying flavor. started more of it today.

i also had one large tea bag of Choice brand ginger-peach black (used for making iced tea) left over, so i decided to make a half-gallon batch with it - that one was quite delicious. should have used all those tea bags for this purpose, rather than the kinda blah iced tea that i did make with those.

i've purchased another 1/2 gallon jar and six more pressurized bottles for increased production.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

This thread turned me on to some great teas a few years ago.

So, does anybody have any recommendation for a good oolong? I've been drinking Yamamotoyama, and love it, but thought I'd check out a few more options. A friend recommends Xiamen ("Atzio").
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I've notice some Kombucha products in the Publix flyer lately https://www.publix.com/search?query=Kombucha Non-alcoholic, not sure if that's the real deal?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

em2nought wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:02 pm I've notice some Kombucha products in the Publix flyer lately https://www.publix.com/search?query=Kombucha Non-alcoholic, not sure if that's the real deal?
typically kombucha has less than 1% alcohol, which qualifies as n.a.
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:39 pm So, does anybody have any recommendation for a good oolong? I've been drinking Yamamotoyama, and love it, but thought I'd check out a few more options. A friend recommends Xiamen ("Atzio").
i've tried several varieties (tiequanyin, dahongpao, alishan, baozhong, GABA, pouchong, etc) and i like them all. my personal favorite is high mountain dong ding from Taiwan - actually it's probably my favorite of *all* teas - but it's best when prepared gong fu style. quality is important! generally, i would avoid cheap oolongs as the flavor improves so much when you pay a liiiiittle more. find a good supplier - preferably one with ties to actual tea growers - and order a sampler. my favorite local seller: https://floatingleaves.com/

if you want, i can send you some tea samples from my own collection.

having said that, TenRen or The Republic of Tea can have good oolongs in the store.

https://eco-cha.com/blogs/news/gong-fu- ... wanese-tea

there are also youtube videos demonstrating gong fu tea brewing -
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Since kombucha seems to have experienced a resurgence of talk in Random Randomness, and since I've tried the commercial stuff now, I thought I'd ask what the cost was to get involved in home brewing it (the bottled stuff is fairly expensive.) Also, how much space does it take up?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

...and matcha seems to be a big deal now. Is it deservedly so, or just some fad that any green tea could fill? Maybe it's more about the presentation with all the special utensils which is the kinda thing that escapes the barbarian in me. :mrgreen:
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:40 pm Since kombucha seems to have experienced a resurgence of talk in Random Randomness, and since I've tried the commercial stuff now, I thought I'd ask what the cost was to get involved in home brewing it (the bottled stuff is fairly expensive.) Also, how much space does it take up?
there are a lot of ways to go about it. here's the cost outlay for what i have:

2 half-gallon jars (about $4 each)
6 pressurized stopper top bottles (~$18 for 6, which is fine to start out with)
rubberbands and cloth to cover the jars (i used cut-out squares of an old and trashed t-shirt - free)

for each one gallon initial brewing, you'll use:

2-3 tbsp tea
1 c. sugar
2 SCOBYs (more on that below)

for each one gallon second brewing, you'll use:

a few tsp of sugar or a little portion of a ginger root

so after you get the glassware (around $26?), cost is almost negligible. get sugar in the 5lb bags and get the tea in bulk - you can even use really cheap tea to bring the cost down even more, or you can also use up the tea you already have. with the above you'll produce almost one gallon every 2 1/2 weeks (since you need to reserve one cup of the finished kombucha for each jar to start a new batch). i personally have acquired another 1/2 gallon jar and another six bottles to up the output a bit - the third jar gets second steeping of the tea and is used mostly to provide starter fluid for the next batches.

SCOBYs can be acquired from other brewers (can even be shipped in the mail), online or you can make your own (with culture from a commercial raw kombucha beverage). you only need one to start, as you can cut it in half or make just one batch and immediately after the first brewing you'll have two. i would be willing to ship one to you. https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn ... cha-scoby/

the room it takes up is not so much. enough space for the two half-gallon jars, and you can tuck them away in a cupboard - warmer temperature is better. then for second brewing, enough space for the bottles (also can be hidden away).

let me know if you have more questions.

https://www.kombuchakamp.com/what-is-kombucha-tea . i also got their book from my library and learned some things - i think all the material from that book is on the website.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

em2nought wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:01 pm ...and matcha seems to be a big deal now. Is it deservedly so, or just some fad that any green tea could fill? Maybe it's more about the presentation with all the special utensils which is the kinda thing that escapes the barbarian in me. :mrgreen:
matcha is super good when prepared correctly (also why it's so popular as a flavoring in Japanese desert items). i personally haven't gotten into making it myself but i wouldn't be opposed to it - i think i just need the bamboo whisk.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks! The one thing that would probably be a problem in the short term is the heat. It looks like I'd have to buy a heating mat for it, as there is no place in my house that is even remotely warm enough during the cool months. The process seems pretty simple, though.