Fear The Walking Dead

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

coopasonic

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by coopasonic »

tgb wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
tgb wrote:I dozed off a couple of times during the show. How did Junkie Depp discover the magical invisibility powers of Walker Guts?
It wasn't shown. Accidentally, I presume.

Oh, fer Christs sake.
He fell into a ravine and landed by a half-buried zombie which he was able to kill. We see another zombie stumble into the ravine and the next time we see him, he's Michonne.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I don't even want to get into the whole meat poncho argument again, but they took it a step further. Now you don't even have to really cover yourself up completely. Just have a walker land on you, get your face smeared with blood, and you're invincible. By the end of this season, maybe you'll just have to dab a bit of walker guts on your wrists and under your earlobes like perfume.

Other irritating things - mom yelling for her husband who is in scuba gear several feet under the water. STOP SCREAMING, BITCH - HE CAN'T HEAR YOU.
tgb

Post by tgb »

coopasonic wrote:
tgb wrote:
coopasonic wrote:
tgb wrote:I dozed off a couple of times during the show. How did Junkie Depp discover the magical invisibility powers of Walker Guts?

Oh, fer Christs sake.
He fell into a ravine and landed by a half-buried zombie which he was able to kill. We see another zombie stumble into the ravine and the next time we see him, he's Michonne.
Yeah, I saw that, but dozed off for a minute or two and assumed I missed something that made sense. I should have known better.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

tgb wrote:
coopasonic wrote:

Oh, fer Christs sake.
It sort of was. He falls into a pit with a Walker and then another walker falls on top of him, so we can assume he killed the walkers while they were over top of him, thereby getting their blood all over him.

And yes him falling into the pit was just as bad as it sounds.

During the whole beach fight scene I kept rooting for the Walkers. Damn writers let me down.
FTE
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was at lunch today discussing the show with a co-worker (who has yet to start Season 2), and he was asking me if it was worth watching. I started telling him a little about the last three episodes when I realized that I can't name a single character. I've watched 9 episodes of this show and I honestly can't name one. That's pretty damning.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

You'd think they would have wised up to needing weapons by now. Not necessarily guns, but knives at least. One hopes that they learned that lesson this episode.

I do think it's getting a little better, by which I mean less bad. The best aspect of TWD's first season was gradually discovering what had happened to the world and trying to figure out why. FTWD's characters need to do that, too, but the viewers are way ahead of them. Much harder to convey their dawning sense of horror when the audience is thinking "yeah, yeah...wise up."
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Surprised lady Glenn isn't sticking around. Or maybe she will since she was in the webisodes. I don't know. So this episode they get a cross. Anything else?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I was excited to see lady Glenn since I liked the characters in the webisodes more than the regular characters so far.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I just... I can't even. The meat poncho trick again. And this time it's even weaker. Such a lame trick they are stuck on. Ugh.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Also anyone else realize they somehow already know that when people die without being bit they turn? Where did they get that knowledge? That took the main group what, 2? 3 seasons to realize? Lame.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

They call zombies "the infected." What they think they know about the infection hasn't been laid out, but I think you'd figure out pretty quick that everybody who dies is turning just from the absence of permadead bodies lying about.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote:I was at lunch today discussing the show with a co-worker (who has yet to start Season 2), and he was asking me if it was worth watching. I started telling him a little about the last three episodes when I realized that I can't name a single character. I've watched 9 episodes of this show and I honestly can't name one. That's pretty damning.
I gave it a little effort and I can come up with 3:
Spoiler:
Chris, Alicia, (Victor?) Strand
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

coopasonic wrote:
YellowKing wrote:I was at lunch today discussing the show with a co-worker (who has yet to start Season 2), and he was asking me if it was worth watching. I started telling him a little about the last three episodes when I realized that I can't name a single character. I've watched 9 episodes of this show and I honestly can't name one. That's pretty damning.
I gave it a little effort and I can come up with 3:
Spoiler:
Chris, Alicia, (Victor?) Strand
I had the same three, and add in
Spoiler:
Travis
but that's all I got.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I actually thought episode 2 was a giant step forward story wise for the series. It finally felt like the adventure was beginning. I actually quite enjoyed it because it felt finally that the characters were really finding out what was going and learning how to adapt. Havent seen episode 3 but will at some point.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I was able to name 1 - Strand - the only interesting character on the show.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

God help me, but Depp 2.0 is starting to grow on me. :oops:
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:God help me, but Depp 2.0 is starting to grow on me.
Don't feel bad, I've been having those same feelings. Maybe we need to start a support group?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Although his pharmacist level knowledge of all drugs is getting a bit stretched in the believability department. I can understand knowing the technical name for narcotics, but he's like the New England Journal of Medicine for antibiotics too? :roll:

Although to be fair, that's a common tv trope.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote:Although his pharmacist level knowledge of all drugs is getting a bit stretched in the believability department. I can understand knowing the technical name for narcotics, but he's like the New England Journal of Medicine for antibiotics too? :roll:
He just told the others to look for "-cillin and -done" names (IIRC). -Cillins are antibiotics and -dones are painkillers. Someone with an interest in drugs, whether medicinally or recreationally, would know that much.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He also rattled off amoxicillin and a few other names for antibiotic types during that same talk. In the last episode, he knew enough about drugs to be able to magically look at a pill and know it was poison, too.
He won. Period.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

hepcat wrote:He also rattled off amoxicillin and a few other names for antibiotic types during that same talk. In the last episode, he knew enough about drugs to be able to magically look at a pill and know it was poison, too.
Right which is ridiculous considering I have patients tell me things like "It's the little orange one with the plus sign" all the time and I have no idea what medication they are talking about. His knowledge has bugged me a bit too.
Sabassis

Post by Sabassis »

The druggie, aka Nick, was amazing in season one. I've never seen an actor in another show protray a drug addict so realistically.

Johnny Depp 2.0 is so spot on. But still, hes the most authentic character on the show. And the only one I care about at all.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Really? I wasn't all that impressed with him in season 1. That's why I'm surprised that I'm starting to like him in season 2.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

This show has become absolutely Shakespearean.
Spoiler:
it is a tale. Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I am mixed about that episode. I enjoyed it but as I have stated earlier, it is too soon to have the human race already turning on each other. A few days and we already have this organized band of pirates. Too many missed opportunities to show the fall of civilization and the rising death toll. We are stuck in this small world of theirs that is giving us nothing.

They were working that angle better with the suicidal dad with family and the plane crash victims and then we go and have this episode which is out of place in the sequence of events in my mind.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

At least having fresh zombies saves a lot of money on makeup and sfx. If there were any logic to the biology of zombies that would make them faster and stronger than their rotted future selves...but the zombie logic boat sailed a long time ago.

I tend to agree with Lassr that the apocalypse turned post-apocalyptic too fast for me. How much game time has passed since the outbreak, a few months?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kraken wrote:I tend to agree with Lassr that the apocalypse turned post-apocalyptic too fast for me. How much game time has passed since the outbreak, a few months?
Not even that. If this timeline is accurate, they're currently on Day 20 after the global outbreak.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
tgb

Post by tgb »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Kraken wrote:I tend to agree with Lassr that the apocalypse turned post-apocalyptic too fast for me. How much game time has passed since the outbreak, a few months?
Not even that. If this timeline is accurate, they're currently on Day 20 after the global outbreak.
On Talking Dead last night Colman Domingo (Strand) said it was about Day 10. WTF? I would imagine Day 10 would be a lot closer to the opening of the original Dawn.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm also not happy about the continued abuse of the meat poncho - which now apparently doesn't require a poncho. Just smear some blood on your face and you're zombie-proof! Just seems like lazy writing.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

YellowKing wrote:I'm also not happy about the continued abuse of the meat poncho - which now apparently doesn't require a poncho. Just smear some blood on your face and you're zombie-proof! Just seems like lazy writing.
To be fair they only used a poncho so that the guts and blood wouldn't cover their clothes. Nick simply doesn't give a fuck if his clothes get blood and guts on them, it goes along with his not having any fear. Which is about the only redeeming quality of his character so far.
FTE
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The meat poncho device doesn't bother me too much. If you stumbled upon an invisibility cloak, you'd be inclined to use it whenever your business put you in harm's way...especially if you were still inexplicably walking around unarmed. You'd think everyone would at least be carrying around pointy sticks by now.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Scraper wrote:
YellowKing wrote:I'm also not happy about the continued abuse of the meat poncho - which now apparently doesn't require a poncho. Just smear some blood on your face and you're zombie-proof! Just seems like lazy writing.
To be fair they only used a poncho so that the guts and blood wouldn't cover their clothes. Nick simply doesn't give a fuck if his clothes get blood and guts on them, it goes along with his not having any fear. Which is about the only redeeming quality of his character so far.
There was also concern about getting zombie guts on their skin back when the meat poncho was first introduced. Nick didn't have an option - a walker went splat right on top of him, and by the time he had a chance to get clean it was pretty clear that there was no particular danger in making contact with walker effluvium. So TWD went with ponchos first to avoid potential toxicity and later probably just because yuck. Nick's literally lived in the sewers - he doesn't give a fuck. If being covered in entrails means a free walk through zombietown, count him in.

And I agree with Kraken - if it was any of us, we'd be like "I will never, ever, ever allow myself not to be covered in zombie guts for as long as this whole pandemic thing lasts if that's what it takes to keep these horrific, disgusting monsters from eating me."
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I was discussing this with my wife last night, and I still don't totally understand the zombie "disease."

Apparently everyone is a carrier, because when you die, you turn into a zombie - even if you were never bitten.

However, if a zombie bites you, you turn - it doesn't have to kill you.

So what mechanism from the biting causes the transformation?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rapid death by rampant infection. Much like the disproved komodo dragon theory.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Say what you will, but the Komodo Dragons were the scariest thing in Far Cry 3 by far. I must have jumped out of my chair a half dozen times when those damn hell beasts would ambush me.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.
He won. Period.
Odin

Post by Odin »

YellowKing wrote:I was discussing this with my wife last night, and I still don't totally understand the zombie "disease."

Apparently everyone is a carrier, because when you die, you turn into a zombie - even if you were never bitten.

However, if a zombie bites you, you turn - it doesn't have to kill you.

So what mechanism from the biting causes the transformation?
I think of it like e.coli. It's in your lower intestine and it's fine there. But if you eat some, you might die. Likewise, the airborne version of the disease gets into your tissues and re-animates you upon death, but getting bitten puts that germ into places your body can't handle, and you die from that PDQ.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I find your answers acceptable. :coffee:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I hope that's the end of the pirate arc.
tgb

Post by tgb »

It occurred to me tonight that if they killed off everyone except for Luis, Strand, and Madison this show might actually be watchable. Way too much time is devoted to the Scooby Kidz.

If 75% of every episode of TWD was devoted to Coral, I probably wouldn't have made it this far.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

There's a good show in there struggling to get out. I like the aspect of watching characters gradually degenerate (or man up if you prefer) as the magnitude of their apocalypse becomes clear. I just want different characters. Given the nature of the show, that ought to be easy to achieve.