Fear The Walking Dead

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Scraper

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by Scraper »

So I guess Sunday's episode was slightly better than the previous 2. I still found myself cheering for the Zombies to eat every single character.
FTE
tgb

Post by tgb »

My biggest reaction to the episode was the relief that it didn't suck nearly as badly as the previous two, in spite of at least half of it being devoted to Travis and his psycho kid.

I can't be bothered to look up the actors name, but has anyone else noticed that his "range" consists of looking like he's trapped in an elevator and someone is farting?

Enlarge Image

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Resting disappointed face, AKA Kanye West Syndrome.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I enjoyed the hotel version of the show. It was much better. Travis and Son not so much.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Did anyone else notice in the beginning when Travis breaks the car window and then just opens the door from the outside without reaching in to unlock it? So essentially he broke the window for no reason. I normally might not notice something like that, but this show has me being so critical I can't help it.
FTE
naednek

Post by naednek »

I enjoyed it just like the first two. Thought the opening scene was gripping
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It was a better episode with fewer cringe-worthy moments. I had vaguely misremembered Travis dying last season so it took me a few minutes to get over my disappointment at seeing him again.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

It's official, blood smearing can now be used as a plot device to get characters out of any zombie attack.Not only has this show become terrible, but the precedent that it is being set with the blood smearing has the potential to ruin the original Walking Dead too. It's a lazy ass writers escape from any situation.

I mean if you insist on using this plot device at least make it credible and completely cover them in gore like they do with the meat ponchos. It's almost as if all of the actors in FTWD have a no meat poncho clause in their contract and the directors are forced to just use a tiny bit of blood instead.
FTE
tgb

Post by tgb »

Scraper wrote:It's official, blood smearing can now be used as a plot device to get characters out of any zombie attack.Not only has this show become terrible, but the precedent that it is being set with the blood smearing has the potential to ruin the original Walking Dead too. It's a lazy ass writers escape from any situation.
There was no dumpster nearby. What did you expect?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Scraper wrote:It's official, blood smearing can now be used as a plot device to get characters out of any zombie attack.Not only has this show become terrible, but the precedent that it is being set with the blood smearing has the potential to ruin the original Walking Dead too. It's a lazy ass writers escape from any situation.
Speaking as someone that bailed after the first half of the season, I completely agree. I think one of the primary problems with the flimsy "blood smearing" premise is that it shines such an awkward light on the utter implausibility of it all; how/why does an undead corpse possess a sufficiently functional circulatory system to even produce uncongealed red blood?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Fiction doesn't have to be believable, it just has to be consistent. I'm fine with zombies having uncongealed blood because it's been established in this universe.

But dammit, going from meat ponchos to blood smearing *feels* like a rule break. I can take the apologist's side. We could say that Rick & Co. just didn't realize how little gore they needed, hence they went full meat poncho when it really wasn't necessary. And somehow, through seven seasons, they haven't picked up on a trick that our FTWD characters figured out in days. Unlikely, I know, but it's within the realm of possibility.

My problem, however, is that the show runners themselves have answered the question about why Rick & Co don't use meat ponchos all the time. The answers ranged from it being inconvenient, to the difficulty of having to remain silent, to the dangers of putting zombie blood on your skin (since blood in any open wound would result in you becoming infected). The takeaway is that there are numerous reasons NOT to do this. Yet just about every episode of FTWD since Junkie Depp discovered it has used this tactic.

Ordinarily this stuff wouldn't bother me, but as has been already pointed out, the show's poor execution in numerous areas makes these normally minor flaws seem exaggerated. If your writing staff is going to get away with this stuff, you need to be strong in other areas. TWD has numerous examples of rule-breaking and logical inconsistencies, but most people are able to gloss over them because they love the characters and story.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I hate to say it, but after watching the latest episode tonight, Madison is by far more competent that Rick will ever be.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

tgb wrote:I hate to say it, but after watching the latest episode tonight, Madison is by far more competent that Rick will ever be.
Disagree... She kept WAY too close the the herd to lure them out on the pier... She could have run ahead to give herself some room, waited, run again, repeat..
and the boat could have left to go get her sooner too...

and it wasn't even Madison's idea..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
tgb

Post by tgb »

I guess 3 consecutive weeks without suckage was too much to hope for.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

3 consecutive? Never saw one consecutive.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
tgb

Post by tgb »

For some reason I was thinking the last couple of episodes were ok, but in hindsight I was being too kind.

Best part of last night's episode was when the AMC guy announced there were only 2 left in the season. I turned to tlr and said "Thank god".
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

You know what my biggest disappointment is? When we go back to Rick and company and we lament how stupid they all are for not just smearing a little blood on their faces when they out scavenging. These guys are such n00bs.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

tjg_marantz wrote:You know what my biggest disappointment is? When we go back to Rick and company and we lament how stupid they all are for not just smearing a little blood on their faces when they out scavenging. These guys are such n00bs.
I am just going to pretend that Fear the Walking Dead didn't exist, all a bad dream. Last night was awful. I chose to put the clean sheets on the bed instead of watching at one point.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm really glad that everyone going their own way resulted in everyone ending up one block from each other.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote:But dammit, going from meat ponchos to blood smearing *feels* like a rule break.
While I agree that one should necessarily be dripping with gore to mask the stench of the living, I'm going to go contrarian here and support at least the intention. FTWD breaks with the gun-happy survivalist fantasies of TWD and shows us people finding ways to cope other than badassery (which, I realize, is the #1 draw for most viewers, and not without its charms), while at the same time the Mexican day-of-the-dead culture depicts zombies as something to be at least respected, if not accepted, rather than simple monstrous abominations to be exterminated. I like that the FTWD crew gets by more on brains than brawn and copes with the world in ways other than arms and armor.

This all falls apart when half the characters are still unsympathetic and they persist in doing un-brainy shit. And changing meat ponchos to zombie cologne ("a little dab'll do you!") is lame and overpowered. The tactic should be harder to pull off, dangerous to attempt, and should fail if you screw it up.

I guess I like the show's emerging concept, but the execution needs to get a lot better quickly.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Is anybody watching this season? My DVR has slurped down five or six episodes, but I keep seeing that 2-hour season premier and saying "nahhhh."

Tempted to delete them all and free up the space, but TV history is full of shows that didn't hit their stride until their 2nd or 3rd season, and I'd hate to bail now if this turns out to be one of those. Did it get miraculously better?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was tempted to just write the show off after the second or third episode because of a relationship that develops between the mother and a character who she should hate. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized it's actually a pretty interesting one that most shows would have made into a black and white situation. I speak of
Spoiler:
the almost motherly relationship between Madison and the obviously sociopathic Troy. The kid tried to kill her son, her husband, and ultimately her. But she realizes he's capable of more, and that his special brand of madness could actually be a plus in their new world if she were to slip into the pilot's seat (so to speak) and bring him to heel. It's something I now watch with growing interest.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

The show has taken quite a turn for the better this season - even better than TWD, as far as I'm concerned. It certainly helps that you-know-who is gone. I'm also intrigued by that relationship, as well as
Spoiler:
the lie she told.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I too am finding this season a bit more interesting although the latest turn with
Spoiler:
the native americans I'm not sure about. We'll see how far they take it. And if Travis mysterious survives and shows up then I may say goodbye to the show.

Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

The wife and I are liking this season best so far...
Spoiler:
I am interested to see what Madison is actually doing. Is she playing Troy or is she actually sincere?
I also hope Troy does not re-appear except as a zombie maybe..
I am also wondering what the whole story is with the indians and the farm. I can't tell what the whole story is..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
tgb

Post by tgb »

Lassr wrote:
Spoiler:
the native americans I'm not sure about. We'll see how far they take it. And if Travis mysterious survives and shows up then I may say goodbye to the show.
It's possible
Spoiler:
he landed on a dumpster. :D
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I am pleasantly surprised by the positive responses where I expected withering disdain. Guess I'll have at it after all.
naednek

Post by naednek »

While it's not as good as TWD, my opinion of all 3 seasons have been fairly good. Sure there are some boring parts, but overall, entertaining.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

The first half of this season has been much better than seasons 1 and 2. They shed most of the dead weight characters and the pacing is actually pretty fast for a Walking Dead show. It's not 11 episodes of buildup with 1 episode of actual results. Instead the story moves along fairly quickly with each episode.
FTE
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Glad to hear it picked up. Recorded the first half episodes so I might get into it.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

In my opinion, Madison is the villain of the show now.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote:In my opinion, Madison is the villain of the show now.
Based on what?
Spoiler:
Killing Otto? He was a racist and a murderer and had it coming. Worse, he probably voted for Trump. She did what she had to do to keep the peace.
She's certainly the most interesting character on either show.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

She used to care for people.
Spoiler:
Now, not so much. She has two people she cares about...and damn everyone else. She's used people, lied to them, endangered everyone else...she's basically the Governor at this point. If she takes a bullet to the frontal lobe this season, I'll cheer. And yes, she is the most interesting character. But to me, it's because we're seeing how people like Negan and the Governor are born.

p.s. if i were being scalped like that, I'm pretty sure I'd stop my speechifying in order to scream bloody murder. that guy must have no nerve endings in his head. :shock:
He won. Period.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Yeah I was hate watching this show up until a couple episodes into this season. It's growing up good. Some rough patches but overall, much much better.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
tgb

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote:She used to care for people.
Spoiler:
Now, not so much. She has two people she cares about...and damn everyone else. She's used people, lied to them, endangered everyone else...she's basically the Governor at this point. If she takes a bullet to the frontal lobe this season, I'll cheer. And yes, she is the most interesting character. But to me, it's because we're seeing how people like Negan and the Governor are born.

p.s. if i were being scalped like that, I'm pretty sure I'd stop my speechifying in order to scream bloody murder. that guy must have no nerve endings in his head. :shock:
Yes, she's manipulative,and she's done some questionable things, but both the Governor and Negan have a sadistic streak that I'm just not seeing here. At least not yet.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

However
Spoiler:
She is allowing the sadism of one character to go unchecked...hell, even rewards it...in order to get what she wants. Like I said, I'm fascinated by her character at this point, but I do find her to be an unsympathetic one now.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I don't think she's allowing it to go unchecked so much as she thinks she can control it. I suspect whether or not she can will be a thread in the second half of the season.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well I'm glad I asked for opinions and decided to watch the (half) season, because it was really quite good. Right up until the end I thought they were setting up the predictable Walking Dead season-ending shootout and diaspora, and I was quite pleased with the more nuanced direction they took.

I have concerns about Madison similar to what's already been discussed. All of the major characters have grown since you-know-who got killed.

Just curious, though, because my attention wandered...
Spoiler:
Why did Victor burn the Abigail? Was it just because he couldn't make her seaworthy again?
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Yeah we finished the season this morning. I think this is the first show I've gone from hate watching to enjoying quite a bit. Strange feeling.

As for spoiler tag, rebirth, giving up, I'm not sure it's entirely supposed to be real meaningful.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
tgb

Post by tgb »

tjg_marantz wrote:
As for spoiler tag, rebirth, giving up, I'm not sure it's entirely supposed to be real meaningful.
Spoiler:
Once he talked to the cosmonaut and realized this was world-wide, it was a matter of casting off the old and accepting the new.