Fundraising for 2020/2021: Currently at $1580. Fundraising has begun, see the global post for options. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

Swifties unite!

Everything else!

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

McNutt

Re: Swifties unite!

Post by McNutt »

My benchmark is still $40 to see Pink Floyd in the early 90s.The show was so good that my bi-polar friend had to be committed next day.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Exodor wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:20 pm
Pyperkub wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:01 pm
So... any fellow Swifties pick up reputation?

I got it for Christmas, and it's rather disappointing. It's far too clubby for me, and the girl who sang "Shake it off" apparently can't as a fistful of the songs are revenge/hate fantasies. Bitter Taylor goes clubbing, basically.

My daughter has outgrown Taylor (she's 12 now and Taylor is Not Cool apparently). What I heard of Reputation didn't encourage me to seek it out on my own. I really liked "Red." I grew to tolerate 1989 but I can see the direction she's moving and I have no interest in it. Hopefully she'll return to the world of melody and musicianship after she tires of copying Nikki Minaj.
PIcked up Lover this week, and it's much more in the Red school. Probably 90% of the Club mixes are gone, the bitterness is mostly gone and the album is very refreshing after the bitterness of Reputation. Heck, you can even see it in the Album cover. She sounds like she's in a much better place.

Nice RS interview:
In some ways, on a musical level, Lover feels like the most indie-ish of your albums.

That’s amazing, thank you. It’s definitely a quirky record. With this album, I felt like I sort of gave myself permission to revisit older themes that I used to write about, maybe look at them with fresh eyes. And to revisit older instruments — older in terms of when I used to use them. Because when I was making 1989, I was so obsessed with it being this concept of Eighties big pop, whether it was Eighties in its production or Eighties in its nature, just having these big choruses — being unapologetically big. And then Reputation, there was a reason why I had it all in lowercase. I felt like it wasn’t unapologetically commercial. It’s weird, because that is the album that took the most amount of explanation, and yet it’s the one I didn’t talk about. In the Reputation secret sessions I kind of had to explain to my fans, “I know we’re doing a new thing here that I’d never done before.” I’d never played with characters before. For a lot of pop stars, that’s a really fun trick, where they’re like, “This is my alter ego.” I had never played with that before. It’s really fun. And it was just so fun to play with on tour — the darkness and the bombast and the bitterness and the love and the ups and the downs of an emotional-turmoil record.
There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

rittchard
Loading…

Post by rittchard »

Oh I'm loving Lover. I think it runs a little too long but I love the first 9 plus the early 2 singles as well. My favorite album of hers for sure. I'm actually hoping to go to her concert next year as it will be in the new LA stadium near where I live.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I forgot we had a Swifties thread. Yeah I'm really digging LOVER. This is the first album of hers that I've really followed from hint-dropping to fruition, so it's been kind of fun following along.

Really hoping she announces more US tour dates, as my daughter has been begging me to take her for 2 years now.

Daehawk
Loading…

Post by Daehawk »

Your daughter wants you to go huh?
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 3 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Daehawk wrote:Your daughter wants you to go huh?
:ninja:

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I'm digging Lover too. Unfortunately my daughter is only into K-pop (BTS). No way in hell I can get her to a Swift concert and there's no way I'm going to a BTS concert.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.

rittchard
Loading…

Post by rittchard »

msduncan wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:27 pm
I'm digging Lover too. Unfortunately my daughter is only into K-pop (BTS). No way in hell I can get her to a Swift concert and there's no way I'm going to a BTS concert.
LMAO. I've been a pop music fan my whole life, but I just flat out can't get into BTS and the Korean pop scene.

rittchard
Loading…

Post by rittchard »

OK so I just waited in (virtual) line so that I could register to become a "verified fan" so that in a few weeks I *might* get chosen to be allowed to order tickets for the concert. It's worse than trying to get a Blizzcon ticket back in the day lol.

Isgrimnur
Loading…

Post by Isgrimnur »

The alternative is free range scalpers.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Grabbed folklore this week, haven't finished a first listen. It's very piano/keyboard oriented and soft and definitely not club-mix angry Taylor from Reputation (which is a good thing, in my book).
There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've been told she makes a reference to both high heels and Dashboard Confessional. I approve.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I went into FOLKLORE the way a lot of other folks did. "Hastily assembled quarantine album, may be good for one listen but will ultimately be seen as a bonus one-off until her next REAL album."

Man, was I wrong. This is some of her best material, and showcases a new level of songwriting and musicianship that is somewhat jaw-dropping given how fast this came out...and under lockdown conditions no less. While the rest of us were sitting around eating Cheetos and binge-watching Netflix, Taylor was putting in work. Heck, I think even vocally she sounds like she's improved leaps and bounds on this album.

It's a pretty stunning piece of work.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

For those accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.