Seriously, what is everyone eating to stay healthy?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Xmann

Seriously, what is everyone eating to stay healthy?

Post by Xmann »

The past couple years have been tough on me and the wife. She is 45 and I'm 42. We both have been health conscious and usually maintain reasonably healthy weight. Her weight is around 130lbs and I'm about 185.

However, my wife is up to 155 and I've ballooned to 215lbs. I've never in my life been over 200 regularly, much less 215lbs. A year and a half ago I hurt my hip and I'm currently unable to run or do any type of cardio. This is a huge issue for me as I've been a runner for 20 years and that's how I've maintained weight and health. My wife will tell you she feeds off me. I've been lazy and put on 30lbs and that's had effected her as well.

Additionally, I'm at my wits end with our diet. I'm so damn tired of chicken, turkey, fish, vegetables and I can barely stand it anymore. We left our son's little league football game and stopped by the grocery to grab some food. I literally left with nothing, because I couldn't find anything to eat. So I'm sitting here so damn hungry, but I want nothing to eat. This is happening regularly and I don't know what to do.

I'm honestly tired of being fat. Tired of not sleeping good. Tired of not having the desire to eat anything relatively healthy. Tired of having to search the net for anything different and coming up with nothing. Tired tired tired.

Hate to say it, but if it wasn't for my wife and son, I probably wouldn't care. I'd eat whatever and wither away into oblivion.

But I can't..... and I'm lost. I honestly don't know what to do.

So I'm wondering, wtf does everyone eat daily that is eating healthy? I can't take chicken and salad much more. I need help.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
tgb

Re: Seriously, what is everyone eating to stay healthy?

Post by tgb »

For me (not that I'm any poster boy for healthy weight) it's what I'm NOT eating - primarily bread. I've given up bread and whole milk, at the insistence of my wife. It's not been long enough to make a real difference, but if you're interested I'll keep you posted.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Look into Bircher-style Muesli / Overnight Oats. Once you try it, you'll never want to go back to eating the sugary Pablum typical of American breakfast aisles.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the breakfast of f'n champions.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I haven't drank milk in years and I eat bread rarely. Sorry, I know you are trying to help and offer ideas.

I've cut down on my beer intake. But honestly, I'm not sure how much that matters.

I just never feel satisfied anymore and looks said, I'm so over chicken, salad, salmon, etc
Last edited by Xmann on Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Diets are pretty much doomed to failure. Exercise is what makes the most difference...as long as I do that, it doesn't matter that much what I eat.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

try the meat substitutes some of us veggies eat for variety. there's more than just soy-based products... for sure scout out the 'deli' section of your local co-op/Whole Paycheck/upper-end grocery store to sample interesting and delicious protein sources.
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Jeff V wrote:Diets are pretty much doomed to failure. Exercise is what makes the most difference...as long as I do that, it doesn't matter that much what I eat.
Yeah, I hear you and agree 100%.

That's also been my unraveling over the last year. When I hurt my hip and effectively ended my running and cardio, the weight has came on and I can't get it off.

I loath weight training and gyms. Perhaps that's why I have loved the solidarity of running.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

for hip injuries, does low-intensity cycling work as a replacement for running?
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Not that I'm skinny, (mostly alcohol and lack of excercise) but a current few meal winners are veggie hummus tacos, ramen, and potato leek soup.

Tortilla, hummus, slivered raw celery/carrots/onions/mushrooms, occasionally some kind of nut and or chicken, and a little Sriracha. Either <200 or 230 depending on fillers the trick is to get the 90- 100 call tortillas, could be done with corn if you can grill the tortillas

As for ramen for two, use more liquid, replace some of the water with low sodium chicken stock, use only one packet for two noodles packs. Lots of chopped veggies (see above plus jalapenos and a handful of kale (chopped) added at the end for just a blanch add grilled or roasted chicken or beef if desired. Massively filling with two cups of savory broth for under 500 -600 calories.

Also potato leek soup with a mix of potatoes, yams and leeks; can be made for under 300 per serving .
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

hitbyambulance wrote:for hip injuries, does low-intensity cycling work as a replacement for running?
With my injury, can't cycle either.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Xmann wrote:With my injury, can't cycle either.
How about on a recumbent or semi-recumbent bike? Not even one to tool around in - a stationary one.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
MHS

Post by MHS »

Try dieting when you cannot eat protein. Lean protein is what keeps you full, but because it's the hardest thing for your kidneys to process, I'm not supposed to have more than three grams per day. Yeah, you read that right, three grams. Sooooo, basically, I'm supposed to pretty much be vegetarian/vegan and it's just blehhhhhh. Add in being exhausted All.The.Time because my kidneys are failing, and I just can't take the weight off. It's depressing as hell. The doctor tells me to swim, because I can't do anything impactful for fear of bursting the kidney cysts, but honestly, I spend all my energy just trying to get through work every day, finding the energy to exercise seems impossible.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

MHS wrote:Try dieting when you cannot eat protein. Lean protein is what keeps you full, but because it's the hardest thing for your kidneys to process, I'm not supposed to have more than three grams per day. Yeah, you read that right, three grams. Sooooo, basically, I'm supposed to pretty much be vegetarian/vegan and it's just blehhhhhh. Add in being exhausted All.The.Time because my kidneys are failing, and I just can't take the weight off. It's depressing as hell. The doctor tells me to swim, because I can't do anything impactful for fear of bursting the kidney cysts, but honestly, I spend all my energy just trying to get through work every day, finding the energy to exercise seems impossible.

sorry to hear this. I really feel like a loser now.

Other than my injury, I don't have any reason to be fat and lazy.... where as you do.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
MHS

Post by MHS »

Xmann wrote:
MHS wrote:Try dieting when you cannot eat protein. Lean protein is what keeps you full, but because it's the hardest thing for your kidneys to process, I'm not supposed to have more than three grams per day. Yeah, you read that right, three grams. Sooooo, basically, I'm supposed to pretty much be vegetarian/vegan and it's just blehhhhhh. Add in being exhausted All.The.Time because my kidneys are failing, and I just can't take the weight off. It's depressing as hell. The doctor tells me to swim, because I can't do anything impactful for fear of bursting the kidney cysts, but honestly, I spend all my energy just trying to get through work every day, finding the energy to exercise seems impossible.

sorry to hear this. I really feel like a loser now.

Other than my injury, I don't have any reason to be fat and lazy.... where as you do.
Awww, no, don't feel bad! That wasn't my goal at all. Just joining in the misery-loves-company diet complaining. :)
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Xmann wrote:Perhaps that's why I have loved the solidarity of running.
Solitude, right? :think:
Unless maybe you are speaking about a running group?
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

I have never understood the purpose of exclusion-based diets. They just do not make sense to me. If you want to lose weight you need to decrease your caloric intake so that it's appreciably lower than your caloric output. Cutting out red meat, or dairy, or bread, or pasta, or whatever, means nothing if you're replacing those calories with something else (which, I imagine, 99% of people are doing without even realizing it).

It's not really about what you eat so much as how much you eat. I have a friend at work who is—what I would consider—the opposite of a healthy eater. She eats cookies, candy, doughnuts, bacon, and pizza, and she's pretty much repulsed by whole grains, vegetables, and water.

And she's underweight (and was recently diagnosed with anemia for that matter). She's underweight because even though she eats high calorie "junk" food, she doesn't eat much of it. She drinks soda almost exclusively, but it's of the diet variety so she doesn't even get calories from that.

I have another co-worker whom I only ever see drinking water and eating yogurt or salads with chicken, nuts, and dried fruit in them. And she's overweight. She's overweight because even though the food she's eating is highly nutritious—she eats too much of it for the amount of exercise she gets.

I weigh 135 pounds right now and this is pretty much as high as my weight has ever been. I eat whatever I want, but I've never felt the urge to eat more than my share. And maybe that's the difference. If I don't get a lot of exercise then I have no desire to eat a lot of food. If I lay in bed all day, then I barely eat, so I don't gain weight because of it.

Count your calories religiously every day for a week, and then find out how many calories you should be consuming to meet your weight loss goals, and then eat what you want within those limits (within reason; I don't mean eating 1300 calories worth of skittles and lard every day).

That's my advice.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Xmann wrote:When I hurt my hip and effectively ended my running and cardio, the weight has came on and I can't get it off.
Arm bike
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Healthy, low in fat, high in nutrients and protein - I eat health nuts.

Seriously, though (well, not really) you gained 30 pounds and are calling yourself fat. I've gained 30 pounds in my left butt cheek!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Xmann wrote: So I'm wondering, wtf does everyone eat daily that is eating healthy? I can't take chicken and salad much more. I need help.
Then stop forcing yourself to a diet of chicken, turkey and salad - you just end up eating more and more of it, because it's not satisfying. It's also a vicious cycle: you are stressing yourself over "eating healthy", you're frustrated because you're constantly depriving yourself of *something*, and at the end all that stress just makes you gain more weight.

If you are really going to control your weight strictly through dieting, you might be better off with something like Weight Watchers, where you can eat anything and just stay within your allotted points. Or just cut your portions but don't limit the selections of the foods that you eat (well...some processed crap, like Cheetos or Twinkies or something, really shouldn't be eaten in any quantities, but that's just common sense).

I can stand to lose about 10-15 lbs but my vice is dessert, and I know when I overdo it. If I feel like I want a burger - I'll have a burger (I'm talking Larkburger-sized one, not one of those restaurant monsters that you can't even fit in your mouth). I'm not going to try and "fool" my brain with some tofu crap or stuff my face with plain chicken or turkey hoping to convince myself that it's enough.

I don't like eating salmon steaks (too much fish...) but we started buying pre-packaged smoked salmon and rolling it into sushi. I'm no sushi master, and it ain't very pretty but it tastes great, and you don't have to put fattening stuff like cream cheese in it (I do, but that's because every time we buy avocados to put in it, they go bad before we get a chance to use them).

This is the granola recipe that we use for homemade granola: http://www.kcet.org/living/food/the-pub ... fruit.html (it's from America's Test Kitchen - we replace almonds with walnuts and usually add dried blueberries or cranberries instead of raisins). It tastes awesome and is much better for you than preservative-laden store versions.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

BooTx wrote:Count your calories religiously every day for a week
Counting calories is what made me see the most significant weight loss. I used the MyFitnessPal app for the iPhone.

It doesn't prevent you from eating unhealthy things, but it does help you not go overboard with them. There were days when I'd have pizza, but I'd wind up eating a very health breakfast and lunch to balance it out. It would also keep me from snacking at night because I knew it would push me over my limit for the day. It also encourages exercise since those are essentially negative calories towards your budget.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I second MyFitnessApp. My wife has lost a ton of weight recently using it due to a pre diabetic diagnosis.

On the original topic I'd suggest pork. Pork loin seems to be fairly healthy protein yet, to me at least, it tastes better than chicken; more satisfying and without the bland "this is my diet food" connotations. I do different rubs (traditional BBQ, generic Asian, herb, my recent sambal and marmalade, or whatever) and either smoke it or roast it. Portion control is a problem but it tastes great for a lean protein.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'm sure this is going to sound like making excuses, but here we go.

First, I've used MyFitnessPal on and off for years. I've been near obsessive about eating, counting calories, weight loss/gain, etc. for years. I can tell you how many calories are in most foods and how much is a serving. I also know that I over eat and calorie counting only tells me what I already know.

My problem is that I'm tired of protein drinks, cottage cheese, steel cut oaks, greek yogurt, romaine lettuce, chicken, fish, broccoli, carrots, asparagus, tomatoes, chicken/pork sausage, etc etc etc.

My wife and I have read practically every major diet book. We were vegan for 2 years. I've counted calories, not counted calories, portion control, weight watchers. We maintained healthy weights and a lifestyle for years. I have ran countless 5k's, 10k's, 4 marathons, did triathlons for 6 years. We've been through several of the Beach Body programs, with varying degrees of success.

I'm just tired of all of the above and don't know what to do.

I walk into a grocery and I know exactly what I should eat and how to prepare it. I also know exactly what to avoid at all costs. The problem is I really don't have the power to decide on anything. Like last night, I'm starving because I ate like crap during the day and I have no desire for anything in the entire store. My wife gets frustrated and just buys a frozen meal. I hate frozen meals and I walk out with nothing.

Here I am lying in bed with my stomach growling and I have little in my kitchen to eat because Sunday is grocery shopping in my home.

I'm just so damn tired of worrying about it. I want to enjoy the NFL today, not what to eat.

I looked at Blue Apron and the other home delivery stuff last night. But those aren't all that healthy. Most are 500-700 calories a meal.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Xmann wrote:I'm sure this is going to sound like making excuses, but here we go.
Don't worry about what it sounds like. Its a description of what's happening.

Xmann wrote:My problem is that I'm tired of protein drinks, cottage cheese, steel cut oaks, greek yogurt, romaine lettuce, chicken, fish, broccoli, carrots, asparagus, tomatoes, chicken/pork sausage, etc etc etc.

I'm just tired of all of the above and don't know what to do.

I walk into a grocery and I know exactly what I should eat and how to prepare it. I also know exactly what to avoid at all costs. The problem is I really don't have the power to decide on anything.
This is a very different problem, at least in my mind, than what you initially said. I can think of two responses to the bored/tired given above.

1. Go into pure "its just fuel" mode. Work out a more or less strict rotation of easy to prepare foods and just stick with it. Turn food into a daily chore just like brushing your teeth and feeding the dog. Its dull and probably hard to get into but it doesn't involve any decision making.

2. Have someone else make the food. If your wife is willing have her do the mental effort to select food and how to fix it. It is like Blue Apron but cheaper and healthier. Portion control can still be an issue but it sounds like you can deal with that. You just have to commit to agreeing to eat whatever she serves. And convince her to do it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Madmarcus wrote:2. Have someone else make the food.
Yes, please. Can they shop for it, too? And make it not too expensive. And keep it fresh. Literally fresh. I find that buying a bunch of Spinach on Sunday and pre making 5 salads for lunch makes for some pretty nasty salad by Friday.

I can do chicken nearly every day and there are lots of different ways to do chicken. I also could eat a larger pizza with everything every day, so I'm not a great judge.

Personally, I don't find portion control difficult when I move into obsession mode. That means I keep a mental or physical count calories for everything I eat. So if you buy crap and/or prefabricated foods, you open their container and store them in individual portions. Nothing says you can't have crap in the house. Only that you break it down so you weigh if you want to eat it. You never ever, ever open a bag of chips and and just start eating or even count calories as you pull them out of the bag. The moment you get home from the grocer, you portion that bag into servings. Also once you start calorie counting you gravitate to eating healthy. A souffle cup of ranch dressing is like eating 3 eggs fried with no oil. So you take Ranch off the table. When you eat bread, you move to whole grain bread to save calories. Sugary foods become a treat where you eat like two or three cookies at a time on a rare occasion. Fried foods become a rare treat. You stop yourself at the 2nd slice of pizza, etc...

Also eggs. I love eggs. 95 calories per egg means if I wanted to I could eat nothing but 22 eggs in a day and still lose weight. Fried eggs, hard boiled, egg sandwiches, egg fried rice (I do chicken and egg fried rice a lot when I am on a diet).
Last edited by LordMortis on Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

My wife suggests learning a new cuisine so that learning becomes part of the cure for the boredom.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

LordMortis wrote:
Madmarcus wrote:2. Have someone else make the food.
Yes, please. Can they shop for it, too? And make it not too expensive. And keep it fresh.
:)

Another one of the advantages of having one adult in the household who doesn't work full time!
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'll give you guys another excuse

My wife and I both work 8-5 Monday-Friday. My son has football practice Monday-Thursday from 530-700.

We both love going to his practices and find it important we are both there. However, this is a major major time sink. We don't get home until 730 nightly. At this point we both are tired, hungry, and honestly don't feel like cooking. If we do cook, it's near 800pm before we eat... which is not good.

Once Friday rolls around, no practice and we just want to relax. We have been going out to eat this evening. Then Saturday comes and who wants to spend Saturday shopping and cooking for the upcoming week. Plus, our son has a game in there somewhere.

Sunday? That's usually grocery day and preparing, but by then, I'm where I'm at today. I'm so over the week by today, I don't want to worry about it.

It's a nasty viscous cycle
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
razgon

Post by razgon »

I don't post here regularly but thought I'd share my thoughts. I've lost 20 kilos since early April. I was overweight so of course that makes it easier. I did this by doing two thing 1) exercise three times a week in the mornings(the gym before work) and 2) by changing my food. Basically I eat salad (with dressing) instead of potatoes, rice, bread and spaghetti, which usually are the big offenders. It's been extremely quick and once a week I eat whatever I want. Fries, burgers and so on on. I also limit my evening meal to just one portion. Anyways, since this worked quite well for me, and quite fast, I thought I'd share. Good luck and let me know if you want anything clarified.
Gone...
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Thanks for posting X.

Glad you reached out and are reading the posts from you OOers. Your replies are helpful too. I don't believe I read anything about medications, vitamins, or other supplements prescribed or not. If you are taking something, perhaps look up the pros and cons of taking that pill. A side effect might pop out to help you going forward. Maybe switching out a bottle for another brand or having a Dr recommend another prescription or quantity. Just a thought. Chances are you have already looked into this possible situation of medicine (both natural and laboratory) but sometimes it is helpful to have someone suggest, tipping off another chain of mental thoughts for the right thing to be triggered.

Now to answer your original question of eating to stay healthy.
I'm learning at age 44, the body is slowing down. Newly vegetarian (almost a year now) and still have not made one receipt from the endless ones I've taken out of magazines. No energy on my part, blah. Funny how the advice keeps on flowing out of my fingertips though, ha?

Something I've been doing to help with my veggie and fruit intake is substituting baby food here and there. When I make muffins, in goes a jar of mixed fruit. Yesterday I used pear and raspberry baby food to add to my pancake (which had applesauce in it). Still have not used the mixed veggie ones yet but maybe for a zucchini bread or something.

Another thought about preparing meals, how about flipping things around? Maybe your body needs a shake (not from a blender either)? How about only eating things that are purple one day? Make food fun again! Friday becomes Fiesta Day with only Mexican flavored foods.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

KKBlue wrote:Another thought about preparing meals, how about flipping things around? Maybe your body needs a shake (not from a blender either)? How about only eating things that are purple one day? Make food fun again! Friday becomes Fiesta Day with only Mexican flavored foods.
Ethnicizing chicken goes a long way. Chicken stir fry, chicken fried rice, chicken fajitas, chicken parm (with a limted portion of pasta, cheese, and sauce. sigh), chicken burritos, all go a long way. I've yet to learn to make a white (poultry based) chili, but chili (even with pork or burger) is high fiber and protein with low calories.

Everything I just listed is easy to make, which is a requirement for me because I am alone and usually work 10+ hours most days. I often pre prepare meals on weekends, so chili 18 cups at a time in a crock pot can be my best friend.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Xmann wrote:My son has football practice Monday-Thursday from 530-700.

We both love going to his practices and find it important we are both there. However, this is a major major time sink. We don't get home until 730 nightly. At this point we both are tired, hungry, and honestly don't feel like cooking. If we do cook, it's near 800pm before we eat... which is not good.

Once Friday rolls around, no practice and we just want to relax.
Perhaps you should trade off. One of you goes to practice, the other one has dinner ready when they get home. Switch out every day or two.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Combustible Lemur

Sounds like you need soylent

Meal replacment. Not really a protein shake. More of matrixesque algea, nutrient sludge for people done with and too busy for food and eating.
Combustible Lemur

Isgrimnur wrote:
Xmann wrote:My son has football practice Monday-Thursday from 530-700.

Once Friday rolls around, no practice and we just want to relax.
Perhaps you should trade off. One of you goes to practice, the other one has dinner ready when they get home. Switch out every day or two.
I love cooking but this I understand, without children I get home at seven and keri often is between 8 and nine. Home cooking a healthy meal an hour before sleep just feels wrong. I'm more into the prep than the food.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Combustible Lemur wrote:Sounds like you need soylent

Meal replacment. Not really a protein shake. More of matrixesque algea, nutrient sludge for people done with and too busy for food and eating.
"Soylent"? Sorta a cannibalistic joke there? Or maybe I'm ignorant to that words true origins...
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

Xmann,

What's happening with the quality of sleep you're getting?

If you are constantly snoring and if you wake up more than two times a night you should look into
gettting a sleep study done and see if you have sleep apnea.

There are 3 different types of sleep apnea, and having a sleep study done will determine what kind and if you have one or a combination of them.

Swimming as exercise, have you tried this? Seems like it would have very minimal impact on your hip
injury.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

JSHAW wrote:Xmann,

What's happening with the quality of sleep you're getting?

If you are constantly snoring and if you wake up more than two times a night you should look into
gettting a sleep study done and see if you have sleep apnea.

There are 3 different types of sleep apnea, and having a sleep study done will determine what kind and if you have one or a combination of them.

Swimming as exercise, have you tried this? Seems like it would have very minimal impact on your hip
injury.
Been through 2 sleep studies. I was on meds until this year when I decided I didn't want to continue taking them. And honestly, I didn't notice a great difference with or without the meds. Was on them for 3 years.

I've always had sleep issues, but I know my diet and exercise plays a huge role as well. When I am eating good and exercising, my sleep is good. Right now, sleep is awful. I know there is a direct correlation.

Swimming aggravates my injury. I love swimming and was quite good at it when doing triathlons years ago. I've actually swam across San Fransisco Bay during a race. But I can't swim.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
JSHAW

Post by JSHAW »

If I were in your shoes I'd go back to eating what made me happy, and kept me from having
hunger pains, just eating a portion controlled smaller portion.

You're a smart person, I think you'll figure it out.
Combustible Lemur

Unagi wrote:

"Soylent"? Sorta a cannibalistic joke there? Or maybe I'm ignorant to that words true origins...
Yes, it's a reference to green
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Combustible Lemur wrote:
Unagi wrote:

Yes, it's a reference to green
I'm OK with it, but I would think this would be a marketing miss-step, to be honest.
Binktopia

Post by Binktopia »

First of all, I am young and overweight. I am saying this becuase I realize how hard it can be to shed pounds.

But have you thought of trying Yoga? Or Qigong (kind of like Tai-Chi)? Qigong is more standing than Yoga, but both get some light exercise that can be good for joints and such. That might work with your hip. How about just walking?

Walking is really big in this article: http://www.gq.com/story/fitness-how-to- ... -pratt-fit Walking is a big, big part of becoming fit. It is also a fun read. But, seriously, walking is a very underrated form of exercise.

Wiki on Qigong: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qigong

Just some low impact ways to stay active while you heal!