Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Months Renewed - We are good until October 2020. Paypal Donation Link Here

Seriously, what is everyone eating to stay healthy?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: Seriously, what is everyone eating to stay healthy?

Post by Smoove_B » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:24 pm

I've been targeting somewhere around 50-100g of carbs a day, but I'm not actively counting or measuring anything - just using a general assumption as to what likely includes carbs (like processed foods) in some capacity. According to the internet, I should be consuming somewhere around 225-325g of carbs a day, and I'm guessing before actively monitoring what goes in my face, I was easily double that. So many of my meals were filled with empty (delicious) carbs. I've concluded over the last ~10 days that I am without question addicted to them, but the cravings more or less stopped after about 72 hours when I cut back dramatically. What I've noticed now is that if I cluster my carbs in one meal, I actually experience fullness and a complete lack of hunger hours later. I can only assume my body is so starved for them that when I give it just a little hit, it settles the hell down.

But yeah, sticking to the outer rim of the grocery store - and avoiding the bakery trap (nice try!) has proved to be an interesting challenge. However, I can't argue with the results. Doctor said I still have a long way to go, but I'm at least moving in the right direction for once.

Generally speaking I feel better. I'm not nearly as starving as I'd thought I'd be. When I'm hungry I grab a handful of nuts or a hard boiled egg. I'm also sure that drinking more water (to offset protein metabolism requirements) is also helping.

I am Smoove_B and I'm addicted to carbs.

Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:28 pm

Smoove_B wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:24 pm
I am Smoove_B and I'm addicted to carbs.
Apologies for tomorrow.
18-1™ & 2-0

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:52 pm

It is comical the responses that are being generated based on rough rules of thumb. Yes, the fucking bakery is "processed" and isn't the key to health nirvana. Did that need to be explicitly stated that avoiding the goddamn bakery is a generally sensible idea? Does someone need to point out that a package of polish sausage is fucking processed?

Jesus H. Christ.

What a colossal waste of goddamn time.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:54 pm

Has anyone seen RM9's sense of humor? Anyone?

A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:54 pm
Has anyone seen RM9's sense of humor? Anyone?
This happens quite often when people are on diets. Withdrawal symptoms. :D
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx

Holman

Post by Holman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:25 pm

I guess I never saw this thread before.

What I'm eating to stay healthy: since I started living with my wife in 1996, we've made sure to have leafy greens (usually as a salad or steamed, otherwise as a substantial part of a dinner recipe) at every dinner every day without fail.

At 49, my bowels are probably more regular than before we started dating.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:03 pm

Yeah, nah
The Trump administration is limiting scientific input to the 2020 dietary guidelines, raising concerns among nutrition advocates and independent experts about industry influence over healthy eating recommendations for all Americans.

For the first time, the Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Agriculture, which oversee the committee giving recommendations for the guidelines, have predetermined the topics that will be addressed. They have narrowed the research that can be used only to studies vetted by agency officials, potentially leaving key studies out of the mix.

The 80 questions the committee has been asked to answer do not cover several pressing issues the panel explored five years ago. This includes the consumption of red and processed meat, as well as the dramatic proliferation of ultra-processed foods, which account for a growing percentage of calories consumed by Americans. Nor will the committee explore appropriate sodium levels for different populations.
Half of American adults already live with one or more diet-related chronic illnesses, and poor diet is the No. 1 cause of ill health in the country, leading to 700,000 deaths annually, according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a consumer advocacy group that pushes for safer and healthier foods.
In a statement, the USDA confirmed that topics not listed among its 80 questions will not be addressed.
Under a 2015 law passed by Congress in response to that year’s recommendations, this year’s panel is prohibited from studying the impact of food production on the environment.

Kraken

Post by Kraken » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:42 pm

I just made Bigass Salad for the second time this summer. It feeds the two of us, either as a main dish or a side, for the better part of a week. Bigass Salad is BIG.

(Gonna hit my weight-loss goal on Monday, too. Thanks, Trump!)

Jeff V

Post by Jeff V » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:37 pm

I had a big-ass salad for dinner too. It was supposed to be for 2, but my wife decided to have rice and chicken with the kids. The salad included a heaping handful of cherry tomatoes from the garden, and some super-healthy scallops panfried in butter and lemon. And a half-demi of chewbacca bread with olive oil, garlic and Parmesan baked.

Kraken

Post by Kraken » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:55 pm

Bigass Salad is just a huge bowl of vegetables; you can't screw it up if you like raw veggies. Mine follows this outline. Split everything between your two biggest bowls, and assume everything below says "prepped to your liking."

2 bags of mixed greens
1 bag of red cabbage (unless already in your greens)
1 vidalia onion
1 bunch radishes
8 oz sliced mushrooms
however many banana peppers are ripe
all of your cherry tomatoes (within reason)
1 cucumber
whatever squash are ripe (max. 2)
1 head cauliflower
as many broccoli florets as you like
2 carrots
2 ribs celery
6-8 eggs, hard-boiled and quartered
8 oz cheese (pepperjack), sliced or shredded
(8-16 oz deli meats if you aren't married to Wife)

If you spend an hour putting all that together you'll eat salad for most of a week, and you'll like it. Obviously, omit stuff you hate and add stuff you like. Have 3-4 dressings on hand for variety.