[Film] Mary Poppins II

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[Film] Mary Poppins II

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
Into the Woods and Chicago director Rob Marshall will direct the live-action remake of the beloved Disney 1964 movie, which starred Julie Andrews as the flying, magical nanny. Entertainment Weekly broke the news Monday and The Hollywood Reporter confirmed it, while Disney reps had no on-the-record comment.

The new Poppins film will take place about 20 years after the original and will draw from existing tales from author P.L. Travers' book series. So expect more adventures with the Banks family, according to EW.

The report states that songwriting duo of Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman will compose original songs and a new score. David Magee will write the screenplay.
The EW report states that Disney and Marshall are collaborating with the Travers estate and have already won support from Poppins co-composer Richard Sherman who wrote classic songs from the original with his late brother Robert.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Re: [Film] Mary Poppins II

Post by hepcat »

Mary Poppins II: The Poppening
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

The most exciting sequel since Bambi met Godzilla.

It's a shame Disney is playing it safe (whoulda thunk it?) when they could have gone off in any number of interesting directions.

Mary Poppins II: Pop Harder
Son of Mary Poppins
Mary Poppins II: The Chimney Strikes Back
Mary Poppins II:Who's Minding The Children?

and of course
Abbot and Costello Meet The Killer, Mary Poppins
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Mary Poppins II: Scarlett Johansson's Golden Globes
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Come on, now, Disney. This is just sad :(

Next thing you know, they'll be making a sequel to the Sound of Music.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Rumpy wrote:Come on, now, Disney. This is just sad :(

Next thing you know, they'll be making a sequel to the Sound of Music.
"The hills are alive! With the sound of MONEY!"

( thank you, Steve Martin for that quote )
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I fear a spoonful of sugar will NOT make this sequel go down.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

It looks more Poppins-y than I expected, 2D animation and all. The trailer shows very little of Lin-Manuel Miranda, which probably means that his accent is as atrocious as Dick Van Dyke's in the original. Speaking of Dick Van Dyke, he's in it!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Emily Blunt - from "Full Metal Bitch" to "Mary Poppins". Interesting resume.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I understand this one will have more closure to it...at the end, she takes off into restricted airspace and is taken out by a SAM.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

A spoonful of sugar helps the missile go down.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

MARY POPPINS was one of my favorite movies as a kid. So much so that my mom loathes it to this very day.

I'm really excited for it after seeing the trailer. I'm not the world's biggest Emily Blunt fan, but if you think about it, Mary Poppins *was* a bit of a stone cold bitch so it fits. Sure she used magic and songs, etc. but she didn't take any shit from those kids.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:39 am MARY POPPINS was one of my favorite movies as a kid. So much so that my mom loathes it to this very day.

I'm really excited for it after seeing the trailer. I'm not the world's biggest Emily Blunt fan, but if you think about it, Mary Poppins *was* a bit of a stone cold bitch so it fits. Sure she used magic and songs, etc. but she didn't take any shit from those kids.
At least now my question of "who in the hell would actually want to see this?" has been answered.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:00 pm
YellowKing wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:39 am MARY POPPINS was one of my favorite movies as a kid. So much so that my mom loathes it to this very day.

At least now my question of "who in the hell would actually want to see this?" has been answered.
I didn't realize there was a question over who would want to see this. I thought it was a movie people were looking forward to.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I didn't even know Mary Poppins II was a thing until yesterday.

I loved all the old Disney classics (including the original Mary Poppins), but can't for the life of me understand this push to remake them, especially those that are changing the animation to live action. That entire strategy is lost on me, but maybe I'm just an outlier in that regard.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:15 pm I didn't even know Mary Poppins II was a thing until yesterday.

I loved all the old Disney classics (including the original Mary Poppins), but can't for the life of me understand this push to remake them, especially those that are changing the animation to live action. That entire strategy is lost on me, but maybe I'm just an outlier in that regard.
I've turned in a sap, but the live action Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast were really entertaining.

I'm looking forward to this one too.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

There was a live action Cinderella?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kelric wrote:There was a live action Cinderella?
Actually, two I believe.

I didn't see the most recent, but Ever After with Drew Barrymore was fantastic.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

I remember the first time I saw Mary Poppins.

I was four years old and my parents were divorced. My Mom was taking me to see it and we had lunch at Denny's first. It was a big day out. As we were sitting waiting for our food I noticed my Mom's boyfriend, coincidentally his name was Denny, sitting at another booth. He didn't see us but I saw he was sitting with someone in his booth.

"Mom", I asked..."Why is Denny over there holding hands with that lady?"

Yep, good ol' motorcycle cop Denny was there at Denny's cheating on my Mom.

My Mom marched over there, caused a small scene and we left. She was crying the whole way to the car and continued as we drove away. I noticed we were heading home and not to the movie theater. The poor women just wanted to get out of the public eye and deal with what had just happened. She left my Dad for this guy. Now it was MY turn to cause a scene.

I forced her to still take me to the movie. My memories of "Chim Chim Cher-ee" also include the sounds of my Mother sobbing next to me through the entire movie.