[WTF?!] Kid arrested for showing off built clock in school

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

[WTF?!] Kid arrested for showing off built clock in school

Post by Kasey Chang »

9th grader Ahmed Mohamed was not expecting a trip to the slammer when he brought his home made clock (which he claimed he whipped together in 20 minutes before bed) to school to show teacher. One was intrigued, but told him not to show anybody else. When he forgot to turn off the alarm and it beeped in a subsequent class, he was forced to show it to another teacher, who called in the police and the principal and the kid was taken down to the slammer... for no charges. Police said they consider charging him with making a "faux bomb", even though he had told EVERYBODY who came near him it's a clock. Apparently, nobody believed that a kid would make something like that unless it is to simulate (or power a real) bomb.

WTF has our world came to?

It outrages me when our school PRESUME kids to be criminals. There's another story that absolutely outrages me. Leonard Sax documented the case in his book "Boys Adrift".
I recently visited a high school in this country, in the United States, and parents were telling me about their son. High school English, 10th grade, the assignment was to write a story about anything you like. This boy chose to write a story about the battle of Stalingrad, winter of 1942, from the perspective of a Russian soldier. He researched it at considerable length, described the Russian soldier patrolling the street when he was ambushed by a German solider, the Russian soldier fires his rifle at point blank range into the face of the German soldier. Then describes what happens when you fire a military rifle at point blank range in another man’s face. What happens is, the head explodes, a piece of eyeball goes this way, a piece of chin goes that way, some brain matter goes this way. This boy was suspended from school, the parents were told he could not return until the parent’s secured, at their own expense, a professional evaluation and a letter from the professional assuring the school, and the district, that the boy posed no imminent danger to himself or to others.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: [WTF?!] Kid arrested for showing off built clock in scho

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kasey Chang wrote:9th grader Ahmed Mohamed was not expecting a trip to the slammer when he brought his home made clock (which he claimed he whipped together in 20 minutes before bed) to school to show teacher. One was intrigued, but told him not to show anybody else. When he forgot to turn off the alarm and it beeped in a subsequent class, he was forced to show it to another teacher, who called in the police and the principal and the kid was taken down to the slammer... for no charges. Police said they consider charging him with making a "faux bomb", even though he had told EVERYBODY who came near him it's a clock. Apparently, nobody believed that a kid would make something like that unless it is to simulate (or power a real) bomb.

WTF has our world came to?
Going to guess he didn't get taken downtown because he was a kid with a clock-looking thing but because he was Ahmed Mohamed with a clock-looking thing. Not that that's any better, but let's call it like it is.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

I saw this story this morning. This kind of thing really pisses me off. Are school administrators required to be morons these days?
No sig, must scream, etc.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

paulbaxter wrote:I saw this story this morning. This kind of thing really pisses me off. Are school administrators required to be morons these days?
Don't you think that 99% of school teachers and administrators are normal, level headed people? Is teacher shaming a thing now?
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

EvilHomer3k wrote:
paulbaxter wrote:I saw this story this morning. This kind of thing really pisses me off. Are school administrators required to be morons these days?
Don't you think that 99% of school teachers and administrators are normal, level headed people? Is teacher shaming a thing now?
It's sort of like assuming a kid with middle eastern ancestry is making a bomb when he's simply making a clock.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

It's called zero tolerance.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

hepcat wrote:
EvilHomer3k wrote:
It's sort of like assuming a kid with middle eastern ancestry is making a bomb when he's simply making a clock.

:handgestures-thumbup: :flags-usa:
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

tgb wrote:
It's called zero tolerance.
Huh? Wonder if it was a white kid named Jeb if he would have received the same treatment
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To be fair, I'd really like to see an image of the clock. Thanks to spy films, anything that remotely resembles a circuit board with wires and an LED readout would make most folks nervous.

edit: Damn Hollywood. Sounds like I was right:
But his questioner responded, “It looks like a movie bomb to me.”
Potentially racist, but definitely stupid.
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Lets be fair it's not just the teachers who are stupid it's the cops who responded to the call as well. Reading the article reminds me of a South Park episode where the grown ups are all just stereotypical characters who overreact to things. Not a surprise at all that this happened in Texas.
FTE
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

tru1cy wrote:Huh? Wonder if it was a white kid named Jeb if he would have received the same treatment
Maybe. Is he a Boy Scout?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Scraper wrote:Lets be fair it's not just the teachers who are stupid it's the cops who responded to the call as well.
Yup, I should have mentioned that. You'd hope THEY'D at least bring some common sense to the situation.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Part of me wants to start a campaign to have people order clocks from Amazon or other retailers and have them shipped to the school, but then I remember that I'm lazy, cheap, and hate people.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote:Part of me wants to start a campaign to have people order clocks from Amazon or other retailers and have them shipped to the school, but then I remember that I'm lazy, cheap, and hate people.
Is your campaign worth $35?
Spoiler:
Amazon actually carries two models, this is the cheaper one.
Black Lives Matter
Enough

Post by Enough »

Here's a kid actually into science donning his NASA shirt and psyched as hell to share the joy of discovery with his new school. I am going to guess parents are going to be looking at some other schools for him to attend. This story made my blood boil. :hawk:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

∩
Last edited by wonderpug on Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

tgb wrote:
It's called zero tolerance intelligence.
There, fixed that for you :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Jag

Post by Jag »

Kid set up a twitter account and is heading to the lawyer. Good for him. That school system is going to pay big time.

https://twitter.com/IStandWithAhmed

Getting some great support tweets
Pebble ‏@Pebble 18m18 minutes ago
So, @IrvingISD, we also make digital clocks—you gonna arrest us, too? Keep making, @IStandWithAhmed! … #IStandWithAhmed
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Especially with this:
"I tried making a phone call to my father. They said, ‘You’re in the middle of an interrogation. You can’t have a phone call,'" he said. "I really don’t think it’s fair, because I brought something to school that wasn’t a threat to anyone. I didn’t do anything wrong. I just showed my teachers something and I end up being arrested later that day."
Interviewing a minor without parental presence or legal representation? That's a suin'.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

You can read stories almost every day somewhere now about some school somewhere doing something stupid to a kid that 20 years ago wouldn't have warranted a second look, whether it be wearing a non-pC shirt, or talking about the guns he owns, or trying to kiss a girl to taking a home made clock to school.

Common sense has been replaced by zero tolerance.

Here in town we had a kid at a Catholic High School who wrote some violent Eminem lyrics on his Facebook page. The cops went to his house, asked to search his room and found a stash of guns and ammo hid in his closet. So they busted him, and his father I think as his father was under some legal paperwork requiring he stay away from weapons. So did the cops prevent another Columbine? Did they over react to some song lyrics?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Finding a stash of ammo and guns in a closet at a home belonging to someone not legally allowed to own them is not even remotely analogous to this situation.
He won. Period.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

hepcat wrote:Finding a stash of ammo and guns in a closet is not even remotely analogous to this situation.
My point is the reason for looking for them could probably be used to search the belongings of lots of kids. The paranoia that goes with that also plays into what happened to this kid. The problem is every now and then you do find something.

That case also is so new the kid is still in lock up I think.

It doesn't mean I think the school was right in the clock case, but the mind set, the paranoia, the desire to "ere on the safe side" is what you are seeing.

A picture of the clock would be telling I think.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Grifman wrote:
tgb wrote:
It's called zero tolerance intelligence.
There, fixed that for you :)
I didn't mean to imply that I thought it was a good policy, just the reason shit like this happens.

I am so buying this for the bedroom.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Case closed
At a press conference this morning, Irving Police Chief Larry Boyd said Ahmed Mohamed was arrested for bringing "a hoax bomb" to school -- and not a clock, as Mohamed said he repeatedly told his teachers.

But, Boyd said, "we are confident it's not an explosive device" intended to cause "alarm." Rather, he said, officers determined it was "a hoax bomb" and a "naive accident."

As a result, he said, no charges will be filed against Ahmed, and "the case is considered closed." He also said "the reaction would have been the same regardless" of the student's skin color.
Oh, and...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

So he's saying you can bring a "hoax bomb" to school and it's OK once it's proven to be fake? Way to walk it back.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The part of the conference I caught stated that it all depended on the reaction of others or law enforcement. If some hysterical biddy gets the vapors at the sight of a PCB and a couple pieces of copper, then they can arrest the person in possession of it, regardless of statements made to the contrary or intent of the party.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Kasey Chang wrote:
I recently visited a high school in this country, in the United States, and parents were telling me about their son. High school English, 10th grade, the assignment was to write a story about anything you like. This boy chose to write a story about the battle of Stalingrad, winter of 1942, from the perspective of a Russian soldier. He researched it at considerable length, described the Russian soldier patrolling the street when he was ambushed by a German solider, the Russian soldier fires his rifle at point blank range into the face of the German soldier. Then describes what happens when you fire a military rifle at point blank range in another man’s face. What happens is, the head explodes, a piece of eyeball goes this way, a piece of chin goes that way, some brain matter goes this way. This boy was suspended from school, the parents were told he could not return until the parent’s secured, at their own expense, a professional evaluation and a letter from the professional assuring the school, and the district, that the boy posed no imminent danger to himself or to others.
In 7th grade before I moved to NJ I had to do a creative writing assignment. The result was a mashup of horror genre staples and "Red Dawn", which was still a recent movie. It was *incredibly* violent, with me (as a 7th grader) conducting most of the violence. I got an A+ on the paper, and the teacher actually read it to the class as an example to emulate.

Times have changed.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I think everybody involved was stupid, including the clock making kid. He knew perfectly well what he was doing. Also the teachers and police knew what he was doing. At what point did someone say, "What the hell is going on with all you morons?"
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I was in an honors/creative writing class in high school and I submitted lots of dark and twisted stuff. I mean, the whole point of this class was to be creative and explore different ways to write. Certainly better than just reading A Separate Peace or diagramming sentences. Anyway, I specifically remember one that was in the same vein as an Alfred Hitchock Presents... murder plot where everything unfolds but as the story closes there's a twist. Yeah, that's right, I was doing it before M. Night ruined it for everyone.

I have no doubts if I submitted the same stuff now to a teacher there would be meetings with parents, counselors and possibly the police.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

My sketch book from when I was in high school would have me committed as a danger to society without a trail today. I exhaustively drew gore, horrible things, weapons, and angsty crap that I find myself embarrassed to flip through. I never once considered killing anyone or myself... but I'm sure it'd be enough to get a kid expelled now.

What the hell has the world become?

PS: Ahmed should be careful of flashing those gang signs in photos on his twitter account. Shit could get real if the cops saw that.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
silverjon

Post by silverjon »

wonderpug wrote:Image
Gofundme for airfare?
wot?

To be fair, adolescent power fantasy tripe is way easier to write than absurd existential horror, and every community has got to start somewhere... right?

Unless one loses a precious thing, he will never know its true value. A little light finally scratches the darkness; it lets the exhausted one face his shattered dream and realize his path cannot be walked. Can man live happily without embracing his wounded heart?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

dbt1949 wrote:I think everybody involved was stupid, including the clock making kid. He knew perfectly well what he was doing. Also the teachers and police knew what he was doing. At what point did someone say, "What the hell is going on with all you morons?"
If the kid had tried to be funny about it, I might have understood it was just a dumb teenage prank. But from all accounts, the kid is a bit of a tinkerer and he never once intimated that it might be something other than a simple LED clock (at least from any account I've so far read). So I think he is blameless in this one.
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Paingod wrote:My sketch book from when I was in high school would have me committed as a danger to society without a trail today. I exhaustively drew gore, horrible things, weapons, and angsty crap that I find myself embarrassed to flip through.
Jeebus...between you, Smoove and RM9, I'm surprised any of you aren't the product of years of therapy. When I was that age, I wasn't drawing morbid scenes of death and destruction, I was drawing my teachers on the toilet with huge, fart related captions over their heads. Although I did dabble in the subject of bestiality with Mr. Graele, my 6th grade shop teacher.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, that little tweet is going to result in numerous outraged postings about Obama and his love of terrorists from at least 2 of the far right nut jobs I know and am (unfortunately) facebook friends with. :cry:
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Crummy way to come to the attention of the president.

Edit: Drat - get called away for a few minutes and don't refresh and Isgrimnur will beat you to the punch. :tjg:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Oh, that's a good one from our POTUS. Way to go. :clap:
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote:Edit: Drat - get called away for a few minutes and don't refresh and Isgrimnur will beat you to the punch. :tjg:
BAM! :D
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

hepcat wrote:
Paingod wrote:My sketch book from when I was in high school would have me committed as a danger to society without a trail today. I exhaustively drew gore, horrible things, weapons, and angsty crap that I find myself embarrassed to flip through.
Jeebus...between you, Smoove and RM9, I'm surprised any of you aren't the product of years of therapy. When I was that age, I wasn't drawing morbid scenes of death and destruction, I was drawing my teachers on the toilet with huge, fart related captions over their heads. Although I did dabble in the subject of bestiality with Mr. Graele, my 6th grade shop teacher.
I was drawing golf course layouts. I could never draw people.
Black Lives Matter