[WTF?!] Kid arrested for showing off built clock in school

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

rshetts2

Re: [WTF?!] Kid arrested for showing off built clock in scho

Post by rshetts2 »

And it wasn't a briefcase, it was a frikkin pencil case.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote:
Drazzil wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:
Drazzil wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Who had Qatar in the transfer pool? Was that even an option?
Ahmed Mohamed's family released a statement Tuesday saying they had accepted a foundation's offer to pay for his high school and college in Doha, Qatar. He recently visited the country as part of a whirlwind month that included a Monday stop at the White House and an appearance Tuesday at the U.S. Capitol.

"We are going to move to a place where my kids can study and learn, and all of them being accepted by that country," Ahmed's father, Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, told The Dallas Morning News before boarding an airplane from Washington back home to Texas on Tuesday.
The family said it accepted an offer from the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development to join its Young Innovators Program.
Future bomb maker then?
No, actually he left america because of prejudiced people just like you.
Bring in something that looks like a bomb, get arrested, claim persecution then fly off to get educated in an area known for radicalism and radicalizing youth. No prejudice here. Just saying its kind of suspicious is all.
It only looked like a bomb to stupid people.
Much like a piece of bread looks like a gun to some people. The world of PC and sensitivity demands that we consider the reactions of the most easily alarmed and offended people.

:whistle:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote:Much like a piece of bread looks like a gun to some people. The world of PC and sensitivity demands that we consider the reactions of the most easily alarmed and offended people.

:whistle:
I'm all for consideration. My concern is the law and it's use.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I have to admit the 'looks like a bomb' thing fascinates me. How many of these people have actually seen any bombs? It would be more honest for these people to say "It looks like the bombs I see on tv and movies". When you say it that way it sounds stupid though, how can you justify detaining the kid and calling the police based on what tv shows say? So people pretend to be experts and say it looks like a bomb.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It is reminiscent of parts of movie bombs, at best. Bombs require bombs.

Saying that looks like a bomb is like saying a hubcap looks like a car.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

After examination of pictures of the device, it does look sort of suspicious. I can see how this could have been an attention seeking thing with the kid. Arresting the fellow was a bit of a wtf move.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Drazzil wrote:After examination of pictures of the device, it does look sort of suspicious. I can see how this could have been an attention seeking thing with the kid. Arresting the fellow was a bit of a wtf move.
Oh, it is suspicious. Suspicious enough to warrant a closer look. A closer look is enough to immediately dismiss it as being a threat.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Suit filed:
8/8/2016 9:26 AM

DALLAS -- The family of a Muslim boy who was arrested after bringing a homemade clock to school filed a federal lawsuit Monday against Texas school officials and others, saying they violated the 14-year-old boy's civil rights.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of Ahmed Mohamed, who was arrested at his suburban Dallas high school in September and charged with having a hoax bomb. He says he brought the homemade digital clock to school to show his teacher.

Irving police later dropped the charge, but he was still suspended.

The lawsuit names Irving Independent School District, the city of Irving and the school's principal. District spokeswoman Lesley Weaver said in a statement Monday that attorneys for the district will review the suit and determine a course of action.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Proof that he's a true American and not a terrorist.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I still say he knew exactly what he was doing, and got the exact response he wanted. I give him kudos for being smart. Stabbing the teacher who was probably his best friend there in the back, not so much.
Stop funding for NPR
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

em2nought wrote:I still say he knew exactly what he was doing, and got the exact response he wanted. I give him kudos for being smart. Stabbing the teacher who was probably his best friend there in the back, not so much.
And I still say you're nuts. I took heathkit science projects into high school including a primitive LED clock. Nobody arrested me for it. I highly doubt that a 12 year old is thinking about how badly adults are going to overreact so that he can sue.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

gbasden wrote:
em2nought wrote:I still say he knew exactly what he was doing, and got the exact response he wanted. I give him kudos for being smart. Stabbing the teacher who was probably his best friend there in the back, not so much.
And I still say you're nuts. I took heathkit science projects into high school including a primitive LED clock. Nobody arrested me for it. I highly doubt that a 12 year old is thinking about how badly adults are going to overreact so that he can sue.
I took a Springfield 1903A1 and a reproduction Colt 1851 Navy into high school and nobody arrested me, but that was a different time. I even fired the Colt 1851 in class, but not in anyone's direction. :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yes, but you're white.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Even in my era bringing guns to school was illegal. That said, I once brought a replica gun in for a demonstration. It looked, from any brief examination, like a real gun. They stopped me. They looked at it and asked about it. I showed them the tell-tales that proved it wasn't actually a weapon, and that was that.

Again, what he had was worth raising suspicions over. I have no argument with that. It was how those suspicions were handled that was ridiculous. The effing shop teacher could have told them that it wasn't a risk. The first cop on scene could tell it wasn't a threat. To proceed to play 'terrorist hunt' at that point was inexcusable.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Court
A district court judge in Texas has dismissed a defamation lawsuit filed by Ahmed Mohamed on his own behalf and on behalf of his 15-year-old son, Ahmed Mohamed. They had sued Fox News, Glenn Beck, and the mayor of Irving -- among others -- for defamation in September of 2016.
The incident led many to question the Mohamed family's motives. Newly appointed District Court Judge Maricela Moore dismissed the lawsuit following a nearly three-hour hearing on Monday, according to the American Freedom Law Center:
The motion to dismiss was filed by lawyers from the American Freedom Law Center (“AFLC”) and local counsel Pete Rowe on behalf of the Center for Security Policy (“CSP”) and Jim Hanson, two of the defendants in the defamation case, which also named as defendants the local Fox affiliate, Glenn Beck, and Beck’s production company.
During the hearing, AFLC co-founder and senior counsel David Yerushalmi explained to Judge Moore that the purpose of the lawfare-driven lawsuit was to intimidate into silence those who might comment publicly on the connection between jihad, terrorism, sharia, and Islam. As such, Yerushalmi argued, "this case is a classic Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation or ‘SLAPP’ case and should be dismissed.”

During the lengthy hearing, Judge Moore pressed Mohamed’s lawyer, Fort Worth attorney Susan Hutchison, to provide any facts that would suggest that Hanson and the other defendants had said anything false or defamatory about Mohamed or his son during the television broadcasts. After spending a painfully embarrassing 15 minutes flipping through reams of paper, Mohamed’s lawyer was unable to provide any such evidence.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

During the lengthy hearing, Judge Moore pressed Mohamed’s lawyer, Fort Worth attorney Susan Hutchison, to provide any facts that would suggest that Hanson and the other defendants had said anything false or defamatory about Mohamed or his son during the television broadcasts. After spending a painfully embarrassing 15 minutes flipping through reams of paper, Mohamed’s lawyer was unable to provide any such evidence.
So they went into a hearing for a defamation lawsuit and couldn't provide a single instance of anything defamatory? Um...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It is almost worse that he started looking for it in court, as if he hadn't previously considered that that particular point might be raised.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I'm guessing not a good poker player. When you're bluffing with your last hand and the game's about to end, if your opponent goes all in and commits, you should probably fold your "Jack High" hand instead of also going all in.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Not a good attorney either, apparently.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Blackhawk wrote:It is almost worse that he started looking for it in court, as if he hadn't previously considered that that particular point might be raised.
During the lengthy hearing, Judge Moore pressed Mohamed’s lawyer, Fort Worth attorney Susan Hutchison
A boy named Sue.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

A district court judge in Texas has dismissed a defamation lawsuit filed by Ahmed Mohamed on his own behalf and on behalf of his 15-year-old son, Ahmed Mohamed. They had sued Fox News, Glenn Beck, and the mayor of Irving -- among others -- for defamation in September of 2016.
Of course it failed. Wasn't it those plaintiffs that enfamed them in the first place? Is it really defamation when you have no fame to begin with?
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Re: [WTF?!] Kid arrested for showing off built clock in school

Post by Moliere »

‘Clock Boy’ lawsuit against school district, city is dismissed — yet again
The suit filed by Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed on behalf of his son, had asked for unspecified damages. The suit had been amended twice since it was initially filed in August 2016.

U.S. District Judge Sam Lindsay on Tuesday ordered that the suit against the defendants be “dismissed with prejudice” and that “all relief requested by plaintiff is denied.”

Lawyers for Ahmed Mohamed could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

In a statement released Wednesday, the city of Irving said that it is “extremely pleased by the court’s ruling, which supports the justifiable actions taken by the officers in the matter. We remain committed to ensuring the safety of all Irving residents and schoolchildren.”
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow