Colorado Tech Job Resources?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

phishbate

Colorado Tech Job Resources?

Post by phishbate »

In December I'll be graduating with a BS in Computer Info. Sciences and we're planning on moving to Colorado then, probably the Denver area. I've gotten my resume to 15 or so companies mainly through Dice and one or two listings on HotJobs and Monster. I've checked job listings in the Denver Post and have been pretty underwhelmed by what they have. Are there any good tech focused job posting sites for Denver or Colorado in general that I may not be aware of? Also, since I know GG had many Colorado natives, does anyone have general tips for starting out in the tech field there?
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

When I was unemployed in Oregon, I tried finding a job in Denver in the tech field (I had 7 years of experience at the time) and I had no luck. I called a headhunter there and he told me that (at least at that time) if you didn't live in-state, you didn't have much chance of getting a job. Of course, at this time, the economy was worse than it is now (not that it is great now). So, hopefully it has gotten better and you can score a job before moving there.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

The supposed "Economic Recovery" is ultra-slow out here. I don't follow the tech industry that closely, but my understanding is that it's ultra-stinky for prospects right now. :(

On the :) side of things, my wife works for a local job-finding agency, and she occasionally posts in this forum.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
MHS

Post by MHS »

phishbate,

True, I do work for a job-finding agency, but I do technical training and workshops, so I am not really privy to all the listings. I do know that tech jobs were a HUGE part of the job market here, but were hit hard and are slow in recovering (ask Kratzer for personal verification of this).

You can try the Colorado Dept. of Labor and Employment's website: http://www.connectingcolorado.com/... you do have to be registered but it's free and doesn't take too long, and then you can check out all the listed jobs. I know we have a fairly high placement rate overall, even with slow to no growth industries, but I'd hate to encourage you in that direction when I know that literally thousands of tech people have been laid off in this area just in the last 6 months.

Feel free to e-mail me if you want more info, though.
KingB

Post by KingB »

Ah, screw Colorado. Just jump right over the border to Utah. You could be an oil field techician. :D
Currently thinking of something clever.........
Kratz

Post by Kratz »

Heh, well... I've lived here (in Colorado) for 5+ years, worked at the same company, got laid off in August, knew about it since March, and have been trying to find a new job here since then.

I haven't even gotten a call back.

Fuck Denver.
phishbate

Post by phishbate »

Thanks for the link MHS, but for some reason it gives me an internal server error. I suppose I'll try it out again tomorrow. Even though I know the economic problems have hit the tech industry hard in general, Denver still seems to have quite a few jobs compared to other areas. In fact, someone who graduated over the summer here got a posh offer from Northrup and it's seemed to been working out for her from what I hear.

Thanks for the replies all. Considering the economic conditions and the fact that I lack substantial experience, I'm not being very picky about jobs I'm applying for. Hopefully something will work out. Of course, I can't tell you the number of people with degrees in History, Political Science, Philosophy, and Phsychology I've trained at the steak house I work for since the economic nosedive. So maybe it's all relative. :)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Good luck! A friend of mine in Denver has been a consultant/contractor there for years; had lots of contacts. Last I spoke with him he'd taken to bartending in Vail to help pay for his mortgage and Jag.

A few years ago, I was working in Boulder and the office manager was telling us about the economic situation there. He claimed the cost of living was among the highest in the country, but salaries are kept low because so many people are willing to work for nothing just to live there. Not being a fan of winter sports myself (ostensibly, the main reason for living there is the outdoor life), I just couldn't see the attraction. Nice place to visit, I wouldn't especially care to live there. :)