Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rip

RIP Mythbusters

Post by Rip »

Isgrimnur

Re: RIP Mythbusters

Post by Isgrimnur »

Good, Discovery Channel. Your transformation to a pale shadow of your former self is almost complete.

June '15
A key to the strong performance was Discovery’s dominance among men 25-54, with the network claiming the top five ad-supported cable entertainment series — all unscripted — for the month of May. Leading the way was “Deadliest Catch” (1.45 million men 25-54), followed by “Fast N’ Loud” (1.26 million), “Street Outlaws” (1.21 million), “Alaskan Bush People” (1.13 million) and “Naked and Afraid” (1.04 million). Among the series it beat were History’s “Pawn Stars” and AMC’s final season of “Mad Men.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

MythBusters By the Numbers
Total number of myths: 1,015 myths (548 busted, 251 confirmed, 216 plausible)
Maybe they ran out of myths. :pop:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ah, well, they had a good run.

For some reason, I lost interest somewhere roughly around the exact moment they ditched the build team. #TeamKari

Stop hitting me!
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought this was a thread announcing Rip joining the show.

...now I'm disappointed twice over. :snooty:
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Haven't watched since about season 7 or 8.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Max Peck wrote:Ah, well, they had a good run.

For some reason, I lost interest somewhere roughly around the exact moment they ditched the build team. #TeamKari

Stop hitting me!
I'm the exact opposite. I really liked the re-focused show without the B Team.

I'm going to miss the show a lot. Guess I'm going to have to start watching "Tested" now for my Adam fix.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I watch Tested all the time. Also I catch a lot of Mythbusters stuff on YouTube.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Max Peck wrote:For some reason, I lost interest somewhere roughly around the exact moment they ditched the build team. #TeamKari
Same. Those 3 each added much-needed personality to the show. The only one of the last season I saw was the Star Wars episode, which was pretty dumb, I thought.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's not surprising, given that the last season was drastically retooled, possibly with a lower budget. Still, it couldn't have lasted forever, and with the internet, I'm sure they could still do an internet show together.

My favourite episode was the Apollo Hoax episode.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'll be sad to see it go. I've enjoyed the show, and have loved watching it with my kids. It has been a great tool for teaching critical thinking and the scientific method (even if, occasionally, as an example of what not to do.) Of course, any time they made a major mistake, they'd admit to it, and often go back and do it again the right way. That's a worthwhile thing.

Personally, I thought the show was at its best early on, before they had much of a budget. They put more emphasis on how they were testing, and less on the dramatic moment of the test. It was always fun watching them figure out how to test a myth with a minimal budget. I remember episodes when they'd want to test a car myth, and only had the budget for a single junked out used car. Then we got to watch them figure out how to make it work.

In later seasons, they'd just buy a fleet of matching vehicles behind the scenes and put all of the screen time into watching them blow up.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote:Personally, I thought the show was at its best early on, before they had much of a budget.
And likely the oversight of lawyers and insurance companies.

It was a good show, but IMHO they should have ended it when someone thought it would be a great idea to cut the "B" team. I'd also agree that having a bigger budget likely was a problem (oddly enough) as they were probably encouraged to "make it bigger" for ratings. With that kind of pressure - to outdo what was done a show before or last season, I'm sure it was exhausting.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Really enjoyed the show but the writing was on the wall when the cut Grant, Kari and Tory from the show, Honestly, I bet Jaime was just ready to let it go. Sad, it was a very great science show once
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It wouldn't surprise me to see Jaime go to ground and back to M5 Industries as his only gig and working back into the effects industry.

Adam will land on his feet and continue to be an energetic media presence.

I'd love to see Adam, Mike Rowe, Bill Nye, and Neil deGrasse Tyson do a special/miniseries/tour together.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think cutting the 'B' team was mostly just a 'try one more thing before we cancel' measure.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised to see Adam running with a new show very, very quickly. I've watched some of his stuff on YouTube about his personal projects, and some of them are pretty amazing.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see periodic Mythbusters 'features.'
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Blackhawk wrote:I think cutting the 'B' team was mostly just a 'try one more thing before we cancel' measure.
It was either that or they were going to write a new baby into the show.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Cousin Oliver Will.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Isgrimnur wrote:It wouldn't surprise me to see Jaime go to ground and back to M5 Industries as his only gig and working back into the effects industry.

Adam will land on his feet and continue to be an energetic media presence.

I'd love to see Adam, Mike Rowe, Bill Nye, and Neil deGrasse Tyson do a special/miniseries/tour together.

Did you lose a bet to J.D,? I had to do a double take when I saw the avatar change?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yes. And if KC can finish them off, it will be over shortly.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Isgrimnur wrote:I'd love to see Adam, Mike Rowe, Bill Nye, and Neil deGrasse Tyson do a special/miniseries/tour together.
Don't forget the Smarter Every Day guy!
Arkon

Post by Arkon »

One article I read about this earlier this morning mentioned that Adam and Jamie were moving on to executive produce a show on CBS I believe it was.
You can't even tell me you'd be this tightly wound if you were receiving Treasure Type O regularly. - OOTS Strip 408
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CSI: San Francisco, where every murder is committed by some Rube Goldberg, Final Destination style trap.

:pop:

Or, y'know, this:
The untitled drama, which has received a script commitment from the network, revolves around two Hollywood special effects artists who are recruited by the CIA to complete seemingly impossible covert ops missions by creatively using the most basic tools from their craft.

Savage and Hyneman will executive produce the CBS Television Studios drama alongside Gail Berman and her Jackal Group and MGM Television. Sisters and writing duo Lilla and Nora Zuckerman (Suits, Haven, Human Target, Fringe) will pen the script as well as serve as exec producers.
So, F/X: The Series: The Next Generation...?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote: Or, y'know, this:
The untitled drama, which has received a script commitment from the network, revolves around two Hollywood special effects artists who are recruited by the CIA to complete seemingly impossible covert ops missions by creatively using the most basic tools from their craft.

Savage and Hyneman will executive produce the CBS Television Studios drama alongside Gail Berman and her Jackal Group and MGM Television. Sisters and writing duo Lilla and Nora Zuckerman (Suits, Haven, Human Target, Fringe) will pen the script as well as serve as exec producers.
So, F/X: The Series: The Next Generation...?
I think you need to work a bit of MacGyver in there too.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Blackhawk wrote:I think cutting the 'B' team was mostly just a 'try one more thing before we cancel' measure.

I'm willing to bet they knew they were cancelled long before last season when they cut the B team. Discovery probably let them have one last hurrah by going back to basics.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I thought that was common knowledge by now. I'm surprised they even tried to run the show after axing the rest of the team. They had to know it was on the last legs. Curious to see what Adam does next.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I've heard multiple times that Adam was shocked when he got the call from Jamie to co-host, as they didn't exactly hit it off when they met. Goes to show that Jamie knew what the show needed rather than what would have kept him happiest.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Moliere wrote:MythBusters By the Numbers
Total number of myths: 1,015 myths (548 busted, 251 confirmed, 216 plausible)
Maybe they ran out of myths. :pop:
I thought they ran out of interesting myths long ago. I mean I enjoyed the show, but most of the stuff they checked out was hardly mythic in nature now.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Has anyone seen the touring Mythbusters show? They are scheduled here (2nd time) in the fall for what is being called their "final" tour. They apparently demonstrate stuff on stage or something.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Scuzz wrote:Has anyone seen the touring Mythbusters show? They are scheduled here (2nd time) in the fall for what is being called their "final" tour. They apparently demonstrate stuff on stage or something.
I haven't seen it, but I've read a lot about it. In the interviews linked above, Jaime doesn't expect it to continue - he is done-done. So if you want to see it, now is the time.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I watched the show (and discussed it with friends) but didn't follow it otherwise in any sort of fannish way. I've probably heard that they weren't good friends without it really registering (not hanging out with each other outside work sounds vaguely familar), but I had no idea that they actually didn't get along. The contrast in personalities was always obvious, but it always seemed reasonably friendly to me.

At any rate, kudos to the both of them for making it work as superbly as they did, and especially for pushing back against that producer who wanted to emphasize the disagreements. One of the reasons I hate most reality-style shows is because of how common it is for them to focus on interpersonal conflict to make up for lack of actual interesting content.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The build team from Mythbusters (Grant, Tory and Kari) are getting a 10 episode series on Netflix this December called "The White Rabbit Project":
The subjects they tackle are those that you find when you ‘go down the rabbit hole on the internet.’ Then they showed a hilarious teaser clip of Tory and Kari sitting down for some wine, except Tory is strapped up to a bunch of wires and Kari is attempting to control his arm movements remotely. You can imagine how well it turned out.”
I thought it was a big mistake to cut them from Mythbusters and I guess someone finally realized how great the three of them are together.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I figured they'd land somewhere. While Adam and Jamie were the heart of the show, I think the three others were the soul, and I think they're a large part of why the show was so successful. You could see that the 3 of them had chemistry, growing to become actual friends, and you could see that play out in their interactions.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I assume it was budgetary reasons -- the show just couldn't support their salaries anymore.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I always figured it was a last ditch effort to save the show. Ratings were dropping and they were willing to scramble things just to see if it would pull it back.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's the first trailer
The coolest tech. The weirdest weapons. The craziest escapes. Three science-loving sleuths put them under the microscope.

Kari Byron, Tory Belleci and Grant Imahara rank history's greatest inventions, heists and more in this series from the producers of "MythBusters."
Coming 12/9
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Works for me.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That looks pretty good. Captures some of the humour of Mythbusters.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jalopnik
Yesterday, while attempting to beat her own land speed record, the 52,000 horsepower jet-powered car driven by racer, fabricator, and television personality Jessi Combs crashed in the Alvord Desert in Oregon, killing her, as local news reports. Combs was 39 years old and held the title of “fastest woman on four wheels” after breaking 398 mph in that same North American Eagle Supersonic Speed Challenger in 2013.
Combs was a lot more than a very, very fast person; she was a skilled builder and fabricator, representing the American Welding Society, and even designing a line of women’s welding gear:

Combs was on television frequently, appearing on Overhaulin’, All Girls Garage, and even served as a host of Mythbusters.

Combs was an accomplished off-road racer as well, competing in the Baja 1000 and was the first woman to place at a King of Hammers event; in 2016 she had a 1st-place finish at the King of Hammers, earning her the nickname “Queen of Hammers.”