[TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Re: [TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Post by AWS260 »

Jeff V wrote:I wouldn't count on the US TV industry to explicitly set about trying to create an Asian TV star. More likely one will arise from a supporting role, or perhaps an international breakout star will be conscripted.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jeff V wrote:
$iljanus wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
$iljanus wrote:How long must my daughter wait to see a Asian actor or actress playing a major role on television or the movies without hearing the criticism of "oh they're just being PC"? (Lucy Liu rocks as Watson on Elementary btw) When will it be allowed? 2020? When I have grandchildren? When?
We watch many shows cast entirely of Asians. The US isn't the only country that produces TV shows.
Of course there's a big world of media out there. Being that we happen to live in this heterogeneous country I didn't think I was asking for too much.

Netflix does have an extensive international collection that I'll introduce my daughter to. Right now subtitles are a bit hard for her to follow. But she was a huge fan of the 36th Chamber of Shaolin. Will expand her horizons as she gets older. There's a Filipino movie which was on Netflix which was really well done and serious in nature but man it was depressing as hell.
The thing is, as of the 2010 census, Asians were still only 4.7% of the population. Based on personal anecdotes, it seems to me many of these Asians still wrap themselves in their own culture here; they watch their own TV shows and their own movies. It would be interesting to see what percentage are second-gen or later, but it would be a subset of an already smallish-group that is sparsely represented in many non-urban centers of the country.

I wouldn't count on the US TV industry to explicitly set about trying to create an Asian TV star. More likely one will arise from a supporting role, or perhaps an international breakout star will be conscripted.

Which Filipino movie are you referring to? My wife subjects me to silly rom-coms all of the time, but I've seen some that were not. I tend to prefer Korean movies, but often everyone dies in the end. There's good stuff coming out of Japan, China, and even Thailand. Of course there is also Bollywood, but I haven't really developed an interest in Indian culture.
After much searching I finally found the movie which unfortunately isn't streaming on Netflix anymore. It's actually directed by a British director but everything is in Tagalog and takes place in Manila, hence the title...

Metro Manila

Being a first generation Asian American and probably due to having a daughter, I find myself being more sensitive to these sort of issues. Not to the point where we don't enjoy the media that's out there and a good performance is a good performance of course. We did power through a season of The Crown which was quite fun.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

AWS260 wrote:
Jeff V wrote:I wouldn't count on the US TV industry to explicitly set about trying to create an Asian TV star. More likely one will arise from a supporting role, or perhaps an international breakout star will be conscripted.
Ahh Constance Wu! :wub:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Maybe it will be a sitcom, set in a federation suburb planet.

Dad - intellectual who studies alien microfauna, everything he says is a tiny alien animal metaphor
Mom - no nonsense engineer who fixes transporters and spends a lot of time in geoffry tubes
Grandma - old fashioned and sometimes speciest, doesn't know how to work the replicator
older sister - dumb, pretty, wants to be Miss federation
brother - difficulty fitting in, tends to build things that explode
younger sister - likes to support causes, dates a ferengi just to show how politically correct she is
Gleep the family pet - nobody knows what planet its from, the smartest, most sarcastic, and laziest member of the family.

in the first episode, a klingon family moves in next door, gleep goes missing, and grandma blames the klingons, younger sister disagrees. while most of the family takes sides in the argument, brother discovers that gleep is missing because of science project about transporters that he was building in the basement. mother fixes the transporter and gets gleep back, and dad restores peace between the families by telling a story about two alien microbes that found a way to live in harmony on the same tiny space rock.

also, make sure to get an aging tv star as the moms boss at work, somebody with name recognition, but doesn't cost a lot of money. like Tony Shaloub,
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jaymon wrote:Maybe it will be a sitcom, set in a federation suburb planet.

Dad - intellectual who studies alien microfauna, everything he says is a tiny alien animal metaphor
Mom - no nonsense engineer who fixes transporters and spends a lot of time in geoffry tubes
Grandma - old fashioned and sometimes speciest, doesn't know how to work the replicator
older sister - dumb, pretty, wants to be Miss federation
brother - difficulty fitting in, tends to build things that explode
younger sister - likes to support causes, dates a ferengi just to show how politically correct she is
Gleep the family pet - nobody knows what planet its from, the smartest, most sarcastic, and laziest member of the family.

in the first episode, a klingon family moves in next door, gleep goes missing, and grandma blames the klingons, younger sister disagrees. while most of the family takes sides in the argument, brother discovers that gleep is missing because of science project about transporters that he was building in the basement. mother fixes the transporter and gets gleep back, and dad restores peace between the families by telling a story about two alien microbes that found a way to live in harmony on the same tiny space rock.

also, make sure to get an aging tv star as the moms boss at work, somebody with name recognition, but doesn't cost a lot of money. like Tony Shaloub,
Now I would pay for CBS Instant Access for that!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They got a new actor to play captain

Says though he will be captain he will not be the star.
Star Trek: Discovery has beamed Jason Isaacs directly into the captain’s chair.

The Awake and OA actor has joined the CBS All Access drama in the series-regular role of Captain Lorca, the captain of the Starship Discovery, TVLine has confirmed.
Enlarge Image

I love Star Trek. Always have. But this has sounded like a disaster from the start and just keeps sounding like it. I kinda wish they wouldn't do it. Maybe Im completely wrong though and we shall see.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Well, I think shifting the focus away from the Captain could be interesting. It might force them to come up with new story ideas. We might instead only see the Captain as a recurring character, out in the shadows most of the time.

That said though, I really do feel they've announced the series way too early. I think hearing about all the post-production and its setbacks have only hurt it before it has even aired. I think I'd have been more interested and excited about it had it already been in production when it was announced. Like if they'd have announced it midway through production and they only had a few months left to shoot, and announcing that it would be coming very soon, fans would be ecstatic. Instead, hearing about all these setbacks and news from behind the scenes have only left a sour taste in my mouth, leaving me to question some of their methods, including their delivery of the series.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Jason Isaacs is a great choice, though even as a supporting character I kind of wish they hadn't gone with a white, presumably human male. I don't want diversity for the sake of diversity.... And Trek's usually been ahead of the curve in that regard. It's just kind of boring. Here's hoping they're aware of this and intend to subvert expectations.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy Nym wrote:Jason Isaacs is a great choice, though even as a supporting character I kind of wish they hadn't gone with a white, presumably human male.
I don't know, he may not be. Trek has great makeup and prosthetics. They could very easily make him Asian. I hear its all the rage in Hollywood.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I still want a Reginald Barclay series.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Isgrimnur wrote:I still want a Reginald Barclay series.
I don't, I found him extremely annoying.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've always wanted a spin off featuring Tribble #438. Watch him live, mate and die. Although I guess it could just be a 10 minute short.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but I would really love a Captain Shran show.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im set in my hopes.

1. A Klingon ship and crew conquering a new sector.

2. The Adventures of Captain Shran of the Imperial Guard.
Holman

Post by Holman »

By the way, how did I never before encounter this song??

"Redshirt" by Jonathan Coulton.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote:By the way, how did I never before encounter this song??

According to something that flitted across my facebook feed this week, a mathematician recently determined that while more redshirts than any other crew category died onscreen, they actually had the lowest casualty rate as a percentage of the crew, merely because the majority of the offscreen crew wears red. Being a gold shirt was the most dangerous by that measure.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote:

According to something that flitted across my facebook feed this week, a mathematician recently determined that while more redshirts than any other crew category died onscreen, they actually had the lowest casualty rate as a percentage of the crew, merely because the majority of the offscreen crew wears red. Being a gold shirt was the most dangerous by that measure.
Coverage of that study is what led me to the song, which you still have to admit is inspired.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote:
Kraken wrote:

Coverage of that study is what led me to the song, which you still have to admit is inspired.
Yup. Also, I'd forgotten how cheesy the sfx were in TOS.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cheesy is subjective. I find them classic.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

New trailer

Looks good, except for all that lens flare. :P
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks not good. Too female. I predict 1 season before it dies.

And that ship is SO ugly.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Wow, that was a Mass Effect trailer.

But in a good way. I can't wait to watch it. Looks like there is potential there.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Too late, Daehawk has spoken.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

1 year.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Isgrimnur wrote:Too late, Daehawk has spoken.
Bummer :(
Enlarge Image

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Don't. Screw. With. Klingons.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Daehawk wrote:Looks not good. Too female. I predict 1 season before it dies.

And that ship is SO ugly.
I thought the Enterprise-D was fugly when I first saw it back in high school. It grew on me though.

I thought all the meta drama would sink this show before it ever got off the ground, but that trailer looks better to me than any early look we saw for all of the other series (Encounter at Farpoint anyone?). I'm not saying the show will be better--just talking about first looks.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats true. I did dislike the STtNG Enterprise at first. It grew on me and I learned to love it.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

As I figured, the new ship looks much better in motion than it did in stills. The trailer impressed me as most of the news on this series so far has pointed to a serious trainwreck. They may, in spite of themselves, actually pull this off.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'll watch if it comes to cable or DVD. You people all going to buckle and subscribe to this channel now?
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Kraken wrote:I'll watch if it comes to cable or DVD. You people all going to buckle and subscribe to this channel now?
Almost edited my post to say that it still wouldn't get me to subscribe to a service for just one show.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Subscribe to a single show?

Not a chance in hell.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

5.99/month with limited commercial interruption.

I looked at their lineup of shows. Not much there interested in. So no.

Too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My wife had it and wanted to dump it but knew I was a huge Trekkie and asked if I wanted to keep it for the new Trek. I said no.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Alternate Trailer for South America

And for those who don't want to install Flash... Youtube version of CBS trailer
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

That trailer looked great, looks like they didn't spare any expense. Don't care for the retcon look of the Klingons. And I'd really wish they would move on past STNG - how many shows can they squeeze into the timeline before Kirk and Enterprise? But I'm still not going to subscribe for that one show. I'll either figure out how to spoof Netflix or just wait till it's available elsewhere down the road. I'm in no rush to watch it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Cinematically, it looks great. But honestly, I feel like my enthusiasm for Trek has waned in general and I don't feel as excited as I would have years ago for a new Trek series. I feel more excited for The Orville.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If I was forced to watch a sci fi show these days it would be The Expanse from what Ive seen.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Well now, it looks like this will be on the Space channel here in Canada. It's the equivalent of SyFy. No subscription fees for us. It's the one time having a separate market for TV has worked in our favour. :)
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Until you actually watch it then you see Americas overall plan mwahahahah.