Fundraising for 2020/2021: Currently at $1431. Fundraising has begun, see the global post for options. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

[TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Everything else!

Moderators: EvilHomer3k, Bakhtosh

Blackhawk
Loading…

Re: [TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Post by Blackhawk »

In case it hasn't been mentioned, put Babylon 5 on the list, and just grit your teeth through the first half of season 1.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Zaxxon wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:51 pm
hepcat wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:02 pm
I'd recommend finishing up TOS and TNG before moving on. There's quite a few easter eggs in Picard that reward those who were fans of TNG, as well as adding more layers of poignancy to the story in Picard.
In theory I'd agree, but 70% of TOS and 40% of TNG is what, maybe 80 hours of stuff? If he's hit the classic episodes, I'm not sure it's worth going through all the rest of it instead of just going ahead with Discovery.
But how will his Trek experience be complete without encountering Geordi as a sexual predator, Wesley Crusher on the Planet of the Nearly-Naked Hotties Where Minor Transgressions Are Punishable By DeathImage, Troi being raped and forced to carry the child of an alien, or Beverly Crusher seduced by the ghost of her grandmother's lover?
Or video game addiction really can be a problem. Or Data gets lucky (actually that wasn't a terrible episode)
tl;dr

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:58 pm
In case it hasn't been mentioned, put Babylon 5 on the list, and just grit your teeth through the first half of season 1.
And Expanse.

And Kipo. Oh, wait; wrong thread. I just can't stop recommending Kipo to anyone who'll listen.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

$iljanus wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:17 pm
Zaxxon wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:51 pm
hepcat wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:02 pm
I'd recommend finishing up TOS and TNG before moving on. There's quite a few easter eggs in Picard that reward those who were fans of TNG, as well as adding more layers of poignancy to the story in Picard.
In theory I'd agree, but 70% of TOS and 40% of TNG is what, maybe 80 hours of stuff? If he's hit the classic episodes, I'm not sure it's worth going through all the rest of it instead of just going ahead with Discovery.
But how will his Trek experience be complete without encountering Geordi as a sexual predator, Wesley Crusher on the Planet of the Nearly-Naked Hotties Where Minor Transgressions Are Punishable By DeathImage, Troi being raped and forced to carry the child of an alien, or Beverly Crusher seduced by the ghost of her grandmother's lover?
Or video game addiction really can be a problem. Or Data gets lucky (actually that wasn't a terrible episode)
Wait, have we skipped over Barclay turning into a spider and Riker turning into an ape? Or the episode where they match the drunk space-Irish with the futuristic no-sex protestants?

Blackhawk
Loading…

Post by Blackhawk »

Or Data turns into a sun goddess? Or Pulaski gets old?

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:26 pm
Or Pulaski gets old?
Or Troi gets old.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Or the Devil comes down to Ventax II lookin for a planet (and ship) to steal
tl;dr

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

OH GOD I'VE SEEN ALL OF THOSE.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Eel Snave wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:29 pm
OH GOD I'VE SEEN ALL OF THOSE.
So you've definitely seen the classics, then.

Isgrimnur
Loading…

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
Set to premiere in 2021 on Nickelodeon, the kids orientated CG-animated series will be called Star Trek: Prodigy I can reveal. Here, as Comic-Con@Home really kicks into gear, is also a first look at the logo for show:

First announced back in April 2019, the series from Trollhunters scribes Kevin and Dan Hageman and overseen by Ramsey Naito, Nick’s Animation Production and Development EVP will follow a group of rebellious teens who commandeer an old Starfleet ship and head off into the universe for adventure and more.

Prodigy comes from CBS’ Eye Animation Productions, CBS Television Studios’ new animation arm, plus Secret Hideout; and Roddenberry Entertainment. Trekverse overlords Alex Kurtzman, Heather Kadin will serve as EPs will Katie Krentz, Rod Roddenberry, Trevor Roth and the Hageman siblings. Aaron Baiers will serve as a co-executive producer.

Zarathud

[TV] New Star Trek Show in Development?

Post by Zarathud »

A Starship full of Wesleys?

Someone at CBS has taken too many drugs, even by the terrible standards of animated Trek.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon

dobberhd

Post by dobberhd »

I just finished season 2 of Discovery yesterday. Very good. Much better than Picard, IMO. Haven't watched Enterprise yet, but I'll give it a try.

So, here is how I would rank the series that I've seen so far:

Deep Space Nine
Discovery
Next Generation
Picard
Voyager
Original

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The original animated series was actually kind of brilliant in that it actually educated about science and wasn't simply just a sci-fi cartoon. At this point, it just feels like they're spreading themselves too thin. Lowerdecks hasn't even aired yet and they're already announcing a new animated series aimed at younger kids. It just feels like they're trying to see what sticks regardless of quality at this point.

Something to keep in mind about Enterprise. It only got really good starting with the 4th season, which is when they had a showrunner change to Manny Coto, who had Enterprise revamped to evoke more of TOS in the ship design and its storylines, but by then, many had the opinion that it was too late to embrace something that should have been part of it all along.
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti

Holman

Post by Holman »

LOWER DECKS looks like they're trying to jump on the adult animation bandwagon without going beyond PG territory.

I'm not sure Star Trek can really fit that model. The humor will be light, but presumably so will the acting. Trek works when you care about the crew and their relationships.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Good article on new Trek shows. It's centered around Lower Decks, but also has interesting discussions about the currently programming theories around Star Trek, which I tend to support (use different shows to explore different genres within the Star Trek universe, as long you're careful not to violate core tenets of Trek, such as the utopian framework).

hepcat
Loading…

Post by hepcat »

Rumpy wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:42 pm
The original animated series was actually kind of brilliant in that it actually educated about science and wasn't simply just a sci-fi cartoon.
It taught me that it was perfectly reasonable to create a giant balloon replica of The Enterprise in space so you could throw your pursuers off your trail. They don't show Starfleet ships using that tactic enough in the other shows. :x
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:30 am
Rumpy wrote:
The original animated series was actually kind of brilliant in that it actually educated about science and wasn't simply just a sci-fi cartoon.
It taught me that it was perfectly reasonable to create a giant balloon replica of The Enterprise in space so you could throw your pursuers off your trail. They don't show Starfleet ships using that tactic enough in the other shows. :x
Oh, is that why you were throwing balloons at the police last week?

hepcat
Loading…

Post by hepcat »

They sure were surprised to see balloon replicas of the Enterprise being hurled at them during the protest. But I would like to think that as I was being forced to the ground with 3 batons and a what appeared to be a customized taser made to look like a Mirror Universe Klingon agonizer, they appreciated the extra mile I went for their enjoyment.
-Mr Bismarck

-Coopasonic

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:14 am
They sure were surprised to see balloon replicas of the Enterprise being hurled at them during the protest. But I would like to think that as I was being forced to the ground with 3 batons and a what appeared to be a customized taser made to look like a Mirror Universe Klingon agonizer, they appreciated the extra mile I went for their enjoyment.
Ok, see, where you went wrong is that the idea is not to fool pursuers with balloon replicas of The Enterprise, per se. The idea is that the balloons look exactly like what the pursuers are chasing. So you needed balloon replicas of you, not of The Enterprise.

hepcat
Loading…

Post by hepcat »

The balloon enterprises were smaller and easier to carry though. :(
-Mr Bismarck

-Coopasonic

Isgrimnur
Loading…

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Of course the Hepcat balloons were pantsless, so you have to weigh the distraction against the public indecency charges.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

coopasonic
Loading…

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:02 am
You? We!
-Coop

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:30 am
Rumpy wrote:
And then there's that... :lol:
PC:
Intel i5 660
8GB RAM
Asus ROG 4GB 1050Ti