[BBC] His Dark Materials series

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

[BBC] His Dark Materials series

Post by Isgrimnur »

Better known to us as the source material for The Golden Compass.

Variety
The BBC’s flagship channel, BBC One, has commissioned an initial eight-part series based on Philip Pullman’s epic fantasy novel in three parts, “His Dark Materials,” from Bad Wolf and New Line Cinema, which will be produced in Wales.
“His Dark Materials” is the first commission from Bad Wolf, a U.K./U.S. production company founded by former BBC executives Jane Tranter and Julie Gardner, and co-sited in South Wales and Los Angeles. The show is New Line’s first move into British television. The series will be executive produced by Pullman, Tranter and Gardner for Bad Wolf, Toby Emmerich and Carolyn Blackwood for New Line Cinema, and Deborah Forte for Scholastic.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Re: [BBC] His Dark Materials series

Post by Pyperkub »

Sweet! We enjoyed the movie (despite some of the changes) and wish it had done better. This should be fun!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The Golden Compass is really a terrific YA book, better than anything Harry Potter.

I didn't see the movie, but I've heard that they cut out the controversial material (some of the best parts of the story and the world-making) to avoid offending religious audiences. Hopefully BBC can do better.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

How long until this cues up the next round of protests? :pop:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:How long until this cues up the next round of protests? :pop:
Free advertising!
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Holman wrote: I didn't see the movie, but I've heard that they cut out the controversial material (some of the best parts of the story and the world-making) to avoid offending religious audiences. Hopefully BBC can do better.

From that standpoint, the next two books, especially the 3rd, would have been unfilmable due to it being more of a focus.

I liked the first book, the second was alright, but my god the 3rd was terrible. Felt like after Pullman had created the world, he didn't quite know what to do with it or its characters, or even how to end his trilogy. Major characters just disappear never to be heard from again and many plot points remain unresolved. It's a weird series in the sense that he created a neat world but where I felt he never really used it to its full potential. There were so many times where I felt frustrated about this while reading it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote:The Golden Compass is really a terrific YA book, better than anything Harry Potter.

I didn't see the movie, but I've heard that they cut out the controversial material (some of the best parts of the story and the world-making) to avoid offending religious audiences. Hopefully BBC can do better.
I don't agree with that statement, but it is definitely an excellent book.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
X-Men and Atomic Blonde star James McAvoy and The Wire’s Clarke Peters have signed up to star in the BBC’s adaptation of Philip Pullman’s fantasy epic His Dark Materials.

The pair will start work on the eight-part series, which is produced by Bad Wolf, later this month. McAvoy plays Lord Asriel, the ruthless adventurer who was played by Daniel Craig in 2007 feature The Golden Compass. Asriel is the father of main character Lyra, an orphan, who lives in a parallel universe, who is played by Logan star Dafne Keen. Meanwhile Peters, who recently starred in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, plays the master who raises Lyra.
Earlier this year, Deadline revealed that The King’s Speech director Tom Hooper is to direct the series, which will also star Lin-Manuel Miranda as adventurer Lee Scoresby.
Bad Wolf and distributor BBC Worldwide have also been talking to a number of international broadcasters and streaming services about the project, which is thought to be one of the most expensive British dramas to date. Apple and Netflix are among the suitors for the U.S. and global rights.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

This is great need! One of my favorite book series, and I felt like the Nicole Kidman Golden Compass didn’t do it justice . . . Not by a long shot. Hopefully, the BBC will do a better job.

Can’t wait!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
Deadline understands that the Bad Wolf and New Line production has already been handed a second, eight-part season. Filming kicked off earlier this month in Cardiff at Wolf Studios Wales for season one of the drama, which is thought to be one of the most expensive British scripted series to date.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Variety
HBO will co-produce the upcoming drama series “His Dark Materials.”
Under the agreement, HBO will co-produce the two eight-episode seasons and takes worldwide distribution rights for it outside the U.K.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:51 pm Variety
HBO will co-produce the upcoming drama series “His Dark Materials.”
Under the agreement, HBO will co-produce the two eight-episode seasons and takes worldwide distribution rights for it outside the U.K.
Ah crap. Well, so much for watching this.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Deadline
HBO and the BBC have set premiere dates for the big-budget adaptation of His Dark Materials.

The British public broadcaster will air it first on Sunday November 3 and HBO, which co-produced the fantasy epic, will air it in a Monday night slot on November 4. The WarnerMedia-owned broadcaster will also air it internationally where it has networks and streaming services.
Lin-Manuel Miranda plays Lee Scoresby, a Texan who flies air balloons. He revealed that when we first see his character, he’s singing with his demon.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's honestly going to feel weird seeing Lin-Manuel Miranda playing Scoresby when Sam Elliot, a much older actor, was near perfect in the role. It's going to be difficult to unsee him when a much younger character is playing the same role.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

HBO on November 4th.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Season 3 is now playing on HBO.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I enjoyed the first two seasons, but I’m really digging this third one the most. I am surprised that the plot is now basically the same as Preacher…but a YA version. I mean, they’re out to get/punish/kill God basically. I’m honestly surprised I’m not seeing the usual groups on the right having a fit over it. Were the books like this?
Last edited by hepcat on Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

hepcat wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:04 pm We’re the books like this?
Yeah it is kind of hidden in the first books but by the third they are more or less hitting you over the head with it.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, so much so that I didn't think the 3rd book would be filmable in that sense.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i found a boxed set of the paperback series at a book store recently and purchased it for my elder nephew. (will he actually read it? we will see.)