Post by Jag »

The trailer is Friday, but they released a teaser trailer

Enlarge Image
(click to embiggen)
Yes, that's Westfall.
El Guapo

Re: Warcraft movie trailer

Post by El Guapo »

I can't wait for the part where the heroes foolishly trust an evil character and completely fail to foresee the inevitable betrayal.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

El Guapo wrote:I can't wait for the part where the heroes foolishly trust an evil character and completely fail to foresee the inevitable betrayal.
Lessee, given the era, that would be Medivh.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jag

Post by Jag »

Blackhawk wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I can't wait for the part where the heroes foolishly trust an evil character and completely fail to foresee the inevitable betrayal.
Also the guy on the right looks like Khadgar.

Enlarge Image
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Is that when they get a group of 20 of them together and make a plan to coordinate an attack and one of them runs in head long screaming his own name and for reasons no one can explain, every one follows him and they all die?

No. Wait. Someone already made that one.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if this one is going to be about a great leader pointing at things and poking people in the chest repeatedly or some guy screaming "DKP MINUS" or whatever.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also, I can't wait for them to make a Command & Conquer movie, where the heroes have to fend off an army of evil Nod soldiers, each sent one at a time into the heroes' wall of guard towers.
Black Lives Matter.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

:lol:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

First thoughts on seeing the trailer. The CGI looks awesome, but I'm not sure it will mix well with the live action. There are things in there that stand out to someone up on their WoW lore. The fact that two brown orcs had a green baby. The fact that the baby was
Spoiler:
probably Thrall
The storyline, however, does not come straight from the lore. Certain characters are meeting who could not have met due to some of them being deaded, unless I'm remembering incorrectly.

Also, was that the Nexus at one point?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote:
I take that back. Having seen the trailer, I believe the name I was looking for was (probable major spoiler)
Spoiler:
Garona.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Blackhawk wrote:The CGI looks awesome, but I'm not sure it will mix well with the live action.
I know nothing about Warcraft, and this is the first thing that jumped out at me. It just looks...awkward.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jag

Post by Jag »

The CGI was heavier than expected. Movie looks ok but very much like the Battle of 5 Armies. Will be good for WoW fans and fantasy fans, but doubt it will get much attention otherwise.

On the other hand, the WoW Legion Cinematic was just released and I think it's fantastic.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

I've always thought the Warcraft setting and stories (all the games) have been incredibly stupid and have been getting sillier all the time, but credit where credit is due: They've really, really hit the visual style with this movie. It's clear that this is a work of love, and that's kind of making me want to see it.
Insert witty comment here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TiLT wrote:I've always thought the Warcraft setting and stories (all the games) have been incredibly stupid and have been getting sillier all the time
I absolutely agree. Then again, I like it because it isn't ashamed of its silliness. It is intentionally absurd to the point of parody. Look at it as parody - of fantasy tropes, of gaming, of popular culture, of itself. I mean, this is a game where you can get quests from He-Man, buy absurdly overpriced gear from Haris Pilton, watch Bambi's mother come back from the dead and kill the hunter, do archaeology with Harrison Jones, and ride around on a motorized tricycle while your pet tank follows you around. Orcs quote Caveman and Kermit the Frog.

And this isn't rare, hidden easter eggs, either. This is all over the place.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Yeah, but the problems crop up when what you describe begins clashing with other parts of the setting, which take themselves way, way too seriously. This is a problem with Starcraft too. This movie appears to be heading into the "taking itself seriously" territory too, which risks becoming its greatest liability.
Insert witty comment here.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't disagree. Warcraft is at its worst when it tries to be deep.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

1) They're making a WarCraft movie?!

2) RAGNAR!!!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Looks like it might turn out OK, but unfortunately I just personally hate the blended CGI look. The CGI itself looks good, but to me it just doesn't mesh well with live action. Perhaps it just reminds me of the lack of practical sets in the Star Wars prequels and how hollow they felt. I also couldn't stand The 300 for this reason (among others).

That said, I know you're not going to get Blizzard's orcs any other way. But then, I'm not wholly convinced a Warcraft movie is a good idea to begin with. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Blackhawk wrote:
TiLT wrote:I've always thought the Warcraft setting and stories (all the games) have been incredibly stupid and have been getting sillier all the time
I absolutely agree. Then again, I like it because it isn't ashamed of its silliness. It is intentionally absurd to the point of parody. Look at it as parody - of fantasy tropes, of gaming, of popular culture, of itself. I mean, this is a game where you can get quests from He-Man, buy absurdly overpriced gear from Haris Pilton, watch Bambi's mother come back from the dead and kill the hunter, do archaeology with Harrison Jones, and ride around on a motorized tricycle while your pet tank follows you around. Orcs quote Caveman and Kermit the Frog.

And this isn't rare, hidden easter eggs, either. This is all over the place.
There's a difference between direct game play (and all those things that you named) and the depth of lore behind the original Warcraft concept (that's now over 20 years old and has inspired several games and dozens of professionally-written books). I wouldn't exactly call that "incredibly stupid".
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jag wrote:The CGI was heavier than expected. Movie looks ok but very much like the Battle of 5 Armies. Will be good for WoW fans and fantasy fans, but doubt it will get much attention otherwise.

On the other hand, the WoW Legion Cinematic was just released and I think it's fantastic.
That was pretty cool. Is that the next exp?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes. I don't know a thing about it, though. I quit WoW nine months ago, and for the first time in over a decade, I don't have much of an urge to go back. That isn't anti-WoW, just an indication that I think my time there is done.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Daehawk wrote:
Jag wrote:The CGI was heavier than expected. Movie looks ok but very much like the Battle of 5 Armies. Will be good for WoW fans and fantasy fans, but doubt it will get much attention otherwise.

That was pretty cool. Is that the next exp?
Yes. Legion.

Enlarge Image
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Is there anyone who would rather have a live action/cgi mix movie than a feature-length rendered movie like they make for the game? (Credit where due, I believe I read that Gabe Newell said that in an interview).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought that because it was being directed by Duncan Jones I'd be interested in this.

That trailer has proven me wrong.
He won. Period.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

cheeba wrote:Is there anyone who would rather have a live action/cgi mix movie than a feature-length rendered movie like they make for the game? (Credit where due, I believe I read that Gabe Newell said that in an interview).
Interestingly, it isn't the live action + CGI orcs that kills it for me. It's that so much takes place in front of green screen, and the silly, stylized human armour that's so bulky. Yeah, it's true to the games. But on a real person it looks stupid. Also, the half-orc who's actually a human in makeup decimates my suspension of disbelief.
Blackhawk wrote:Yes. I don't know a thing about it, though. I quit WoW nine months ago, and for the first time in over a decade, I don't have much of an urge to go back. That isn't anti-WoW, just an indication that I think my time there is done.
Same. :? Never say never, but after not having the cash to get the most recent expansion with Mrs. Nym at launch, I just lost all desire to play. I still want to sink my teeth into a good MMORPG (probably something slightly more sandboxy), but for all the good memories I just can't imagine going back to WoW's grinding, and that stale combat. Sure, you never have to mob grind. But the whole thing is a grind. And yeah, no one does WoW's style of combat better. But the "zillion skills" and mandatory rotations style of gameplay is just so outdated.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was talking about it with some friends today. They had the same reaction I did - the CGI was fine, the live action was fine, but putting them together didn't work.

I posited the idea that they should have put the actors in full mocap gear, including their faces, then kept the performances and done CGI versions of the actors' own faces over them. It would make them match the rest of the film.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive always wanted a full animated movie just like their cgi intros and cutscenes. They were always ahead of their time .Whats wrong with doing that?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
tgb

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote:I thought that because it was being directed by Duncan Jones I'd be interested in this.

That trailer has proven me wrong.
Doesn't the DGA have rules about one director using another's name on a project? Particularly Uwe Boll?

Because that looks like absolute shit.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

First sentence of the New York Times review:
The New York Times wrote:Probably the best way to experience “Warcraft,” a generally amusing and sometimes visually arresting absurdity, is stoned.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Quality writing that is totally worth my turning off adblockers to risk my security. :wink:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm hearing numerous reviews that liken this to Battlefield Earth...but without the unintentional humor.

God help me, I want to see how bad it is. But I think I can wait until it shows up on cable...

...in 3 weeks.
He won. Period.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

My 13 year old has been dying to see this.

Thus, I'll be the sacrificial lamb for the community and see it. Probably not until next weekend though.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm taking a certain dark satisfaction with the way this thing is turning out. My friends kept telling me the trailer was awesome, and I kept telling them it looked terrible. Once again my film instincts were ON POINT. :coffee:
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

The New York Times didn't hate it. That has to say something positive about the film. That said, I'm not sure that even after 10 years playing WoW I'm that interesting in seeing it at the theater.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Reviewers are giving bad reviews.
People are giving good reviews.

I think it has alot to do with the Lore and people maybe expecting an LOTR type movie where everything is explained carefully.

My guess, it's still over 7.8 on imdb afterall

edit:

8.7 user score on metacritic as well
8.2 on rotten tomatoes

Critic problem?
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

We are going to see it on Sunday (thanks, T-Mobile, for free tickets). Since I still enjoy playing WoW and reading Warcraft lore novels - and the movie is based on one - I figured I'll probably like it regardless.

I can see where they may have a problem getting too bogged down in lore, trying to spend too much time explaining it to new audiences. Most critics on Rotten Tomatoes mention that it moves too slow (although audiences gave it 82% so far, so I guess they don't mind so much).
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i really liked _Moon_ (tho _Source Code_ was alright, if derivative). i was interested in seeing Duncan Jones' next film until i found out it was this... thing...
Jag

Post by Jag »

My kids have no interest and sadly either do I anymore. I'll rent it when it come out.