Warcraft movie trailer

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Warcraft movie trailer

Post by Daehawk »

If anyone actually liked this movie they are doing a prop auction for items from it.

https://usm.propstoreauction.com/m/view ... og/id/191/
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I'm not a fan of the movie but I am of the games. If money was no object there are a couple things there I could see buying. As is though too expensive for something I would just hang on my wall and largely forget about.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I enjoyed this far more than I thought I would. I had written it off at release due to the bad reviews and the heavy CGI look. While I have fond memories of playing Warcraft III and have gone back to World of Warcraft every couple of years since its launch, I never paid much attention to its lore or viewed it as much more than window dressing. But recently I've been playing the Book of Heroes single-player adventures in Hearthstone, and even in their bite-sized versions, it has some interesting stories to tell.

The movie is very colourful, and not as predictable as I expected. I found the first and last acts entertaining, though a lot of the revelations in the middle of the story feel unearned. It's strange, because the film does cover a lot of ground without feeling too rushed. I'm relieved at how relatively small the scope is. But there are still far too many characters without enough to do, and there's not enough backstory. Sometimes the CGI is distracting, but for the most part the characters are very well done. Gul'dan in particular is amazing. The acting varies. Ben Foster does a much better job than I expected. But it annoys me how most of the cast were in their 30s at the time. Travis Fimmel is fine, even if his depth feels stapled on. But the film could really have used the gravitas of some older, established actors. I presume Clancy Brown did the mocap as well as the voice of Blackhand, but I didn't even realize it was him until the end credits.

My biggest complaint is with the exaggerated armour and weaponry, especially for the humans. I respect they're being true to the games (most video game adaptations do the opposite), but it looks garish in live action, like cosplay. There's also a distracting amount of references and fan service, but that of course was to be expected.

I'm disappointed the franchise didn't continue. Legendary was apparently looking at a new film last year, but it seems unlikely it would be a direct continuation.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They should just do a animated movie in the same quality as Blizzard does their trailers.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

When I was heavily into WoW I read a number of the novels. They really flesh out the world and give meaning to the quests, events, and locations. The books are, for the most part, canon.

A few of them weren't great, but a number were good, and a few I really enjoyed.

The movie covers the same events as Rise of the Horde by Christie Golden.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)