I'd Rather Have A Bottle In Front Of Me Than A Colonoscopy

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

Re: I'd Rather Have A Bottle In Front Of Me Than A Colonoscopy

Post by AWS260 »

I'm scheduled for my first colonoscopy in about a month. Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread and gave me a sense of what to expect! I'm almost... looking forward to it? The farting part, at least.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

My wife's next one is this year. Mine was last year. The Prep is the worse part.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was supposed to have one at age 30 because my mom and all her siblings but 2 had colon cancer. Im 48 and still trying to talk myself into it...soon Im thinking..a few years. Sister is in same boat but she is 63.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

Tracy Jordan wrote:I'm still fasting 'cause I misread my calendar. Tomorrow is my colonoscopy. Today was my meeting with Colon O. Scopy.
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I have never had one. Nobody in my family has a history of that kind of problem and neither of my doctors have ever pushed for it. In fact the odds of them finding something are not that much better than the odds of them accidently doing something.

But yea, I have talked to people and everyone says the prep is much worse than the actual procedure.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hmm...checked earlier post in thread....2018-2015= only 7 years to go before the next one! :character-oldtimer:

Shit, that means the night terrors are going to start soon.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

So... I'm 49 with no known heath issues other than being a little overweight.

When should I expect my first colonoscopy?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:48 pm So... I'm 49 with no known heath issues other than being a little overweight.

When should I expect my first colonoscopy?
If you exhibit sufficient situational awareness, you should be able to avoid one sneaking up on you.

American Cancer Society
Starting at age 50, men and women at average risk for developing colorectal cancer should use one of the screening tests below:

Tests that find polyps and cancer
Colonoscopy every 10 years
CT colonography (virtual colonoscopy) every 5 years*
Flexible sigmoidoscopy every 5 years*
Double-contrast barium enema every 5 years*

Tests that mainly find cancer
Fecal immunochemical test (FIT) every year*,**
Guaiac-based fecal occult blood test (gFOBT) every year*,**
Stool DNA test every 3 years*

*Colonoscopy should be done if test results are positive.
** Highly sensitive versions of these tests should be used with the take-home multiple sample method. A gFOBT or FIT done during a digital rectal exam in the doctor’s office is not enough for screening.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'm not sure how I missed this originally.

Been a nurse for a number of years now and still get a kick out of the name of the bowel prep you have to drink 4 liters of.

Anyone know the actual name of that stuff?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

water
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone know the actual name of that stuff?
I had to Google it so thats cheating..but jus tto know for sure does it start wit ha M? ...If so that is a good name.

I think one of my moms friend had what ithink was a barium enema and didn't poop it out...or something that had to go up in there...and it set up like concrete.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Didn't have to Google it after having a second one recently and the wife having her first - MoviPrep. And as noted, the worst part of the whole dang procedure.
-mf
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

there she isImage

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i just had an upper endoscopy last week. i think it's all worth it for the awesome anesthesia/amnesia-inducing chemicals. i swore i was going to try to stay awake, but as soon as they released the drugs, NOPE . it's a feeling akin to being deep, deep under a lake, looking up. when they say they want someone trustworthy to take you home afterwards, it's for a reason... you will not remember many details from the time you come out of surgery to the time you go to bed and sleep the anesthesia off.

also got a pretty sweet bruise on the back of my hand from the IV needle. it was massive.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My last thing they used the stuff that killed Michael Jackson..Propofol. He said ok count from 10 down..10 9 zzzzz. I was instant asleep and then when it was over iwas instant awake. I remember it from the time before sleep to when I woke up clearly. No after effects. That stuff is amazing in the right hands.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I had a hazy memory of waking up near the end of my last colonoscopy, alarmed at what was happening and powerless to say anything, although they realized I was coming to when my eyes opened. It was either my colonoscopy or an alien abduction, hard to be sure which.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I liked the part where after it was over I got to sit in a room with two dozen other olde men and we farted for hours until we could go home.
True story.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Sadly, that's not how it works anymore. They used to pump you up with room air and then you had to fart before you could go home, now they use carbon dioxide which your body absorbs quickly. No exit toot required. :(
-mf
telcta

Post by telcta »

Yes, I just had my first one a couple weeks ago. Nothing. Total silence afterwards. No pain or bloating, I just sat in recovery for about 15 minutes after I woke up and I was in a car going to get some breakfast.

I agree with what others are saying in that the preparation is the worst part. My regiment consisted of 4 Dulcolax tablets, then a Magnesium Citrate (10oz) followed by another later that day prior to the procedure. The day of (about 5 hours before) took the last drink. Those drinks were not bad at all, too sweet for my liking but it did encourage you to drink water afterwards. I thought I'd have to drink gallons of that stuff but it was very easy to get 30oz down. The prep didn't start until the day before but earlier in the week the diet was adjusted.

My mistake ( believe) was drinking only water during the all liquid diet phase. I was dizzy getting out of the shower that morning (almost called out for my fainting couch) and had to lie down. When I got to the hospital for my appointment, after they put in the IV, I had asked the anesthesiologist if I was going to be more sedated than I feel now because I was 100% lucid.

Well, soon after, the IV meds must have kicked in. I said, "Oh, yeah, I feel it now, starting to fade". The anesthesiologist said, "Ummmm, that's just saline solution". I guess I was beginning to pass out again.

All in all, I took notes because I'm supposed to do this again in 5 years since my father had polyps removed. I was clear so that's good.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hmm. I had a colonoscopy a few years ago and dont remember doing much prep except drinking only water the day before and an enema at home before going in. I dont believe I had any meds either and now I feel gipped...
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:30 pm I had a hazy memory of waking up near the end of my last colonoscopy, alarmed at what was happening and powerless to say anything, although they realized I was coming to when my eyes opened. It was either my colonoscopy or an alien abduction, hard to be sure which.
I have a friend who was awake the whole time and was offered the chance to watch it on TV. He said he made a mistake and the next time will be put out.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My father reports from his last week that it has been confirmed that he has a really long colon.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Scuzz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:09 pm
Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:30 pm I had a hazy memory of waking up near the end of my last colonoscopy, alarmed at what was happening and powerless to say anything, although they realized I was coming to when my eyes opened. It was either my colonoscopy or an alien abduction, hard to be sure which.
I have a friend who was awake the whole time and was offered the chance to watch it on TV. He said he made a mistake and the next time will be put out.
I did that when I had a sigmoidoscopy quite a few years ago. It was less entertaining than I had hoped, but they wouldn't change it to the gorilla channel for me.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

It's almost go time for me. Prep on Sunday, colonoscopy Monday morning.

I was surprised by the dietary restrictions for the days leading up to the prep. I'm basically not supposed to eat anything that's conducive to pooping -- grains, fruits, vegetables, or anything high-fiber. It's unintuitive (to me, at least), but I'm rolling with it. Time to order a bacon cheeseburger for lunch!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

You don't want things that might hang up in the pipeworks and appear to be something serious.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:44 am It's almost go time for me. Prep on Sunday, colonoscopy Monday morning.

I was surprised by the dietary restrictions for the days leading up to the prep. I'm basically not supposed to eat anything that's conducive to pooping -- grains, fruits, vegetables, or anything high-fiber. It's unintuitive (to me, at least), but I'm rolling with it. Time to order a bacon cheeseburger for lunch!
The pooping will not be a problem... I mean, it will be a problem, but not the way you might think.

:cry:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:17 am
AWS260 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:44 am It's almost go time for me. Prep on Sunday, colonoscopy Monday morning.

The pooping will not be a problem... I mean, it will be a problem, but not the way you might think.

:cry:
Yup. My only advice is to don't rush the prep (assuming you're doing the laxative/drink prep). First time I took my time and it was unpleasant, but not too bad. Second time I tried to chug the drink mix faster and that was a huuuuge mistake.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Good news, everyone: I survived.

The prep wasn't that bad at all, and the anesthetic worked like a charm. I didn't remember a thing, and was up and alert an hour later.

PSA: If you are due for a colonoscopy, go get one! There's no downside, other than missing a day at work (which is not necessarily a downside, depending).
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

And when it's over you can fart with impunity!
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:43 pm And when it's over you can fart with impunity!
I'm doing that now.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had mine in late 2016. I still wake up screaming about the prep. That powder stuff was freakin’ awful.

When I did get to the hospital for the actual procedure, they stuck me with an IV and then put me in a room...for 3 hours. Apparently they backlogged the doctor. Man, I hate having a needle in my arm while I’m conscious.

I told the staff working on me that they could keep anything they found. A souvenir of the time they spent exploring Hepcat Caverns, if you will.
He won. Period.
JCC

Post by JCC »

I had my 2nd one in the Fall. As everyone says, the prep is worse than the procedure, but I think some are making the prep out to be worse than it is. My "shit drink" I had both times was Suprep. Tastes like salty grape kool-aid. The first sip is not too bad, but by the time you are drinking the last of it you are definitely sick of it. I have had both of mine very early. (I ask to be the first one of the day.) So, I have to get up super early to drink the second dose. That second dose - just after waking up - is much harder to get down. Anyway, yes, for 12 or more hours prior to leaving for the procedure you will be crapping liquid non-stop. Not pleasant, but nothing truly awful.

My first procedure was actually rough, because I had some sort of reflux while I was under, so I woke up with my chest on fire. That lasted a few hours and was very unpleasant. Last year's went fine. I told them what happened last time and they elevated my head as much as possible. I was so relieved when I woke up with no pain. It was really no big deal at all.

If you have any family history of colon cancer and are 40 or over - you should get one ASAP. Everyone else should get one at 50. Seriously, it's not that bad, and getting colon cancer discovered late is going to be way worse.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
mori

Post by mori »

My colonoscopy is in the morning at 8 AM. Getting it done early. I saw a gastroenterologist for GI issues I have had this summer and of course the first words out of his mouth was, "We got to do a colonoscopy." I knew he was going to say that. The day before has been no big deal since I often go a day without eating. Just been drinking Gatorade and apple juice sporadically for some carbs. Just starting the fun part. I was given a list for over the counter stuff. Take four Dulcolax tablets than two hours later started drinking a gallon of clear liquid of choice mixed with 238 grams of Miralax. Seems a bit overkill. I am happy to hear that I will not be in a total fog the entire day of the procedure. I will be back to normal in a hour or two.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Get pictures! The pictures are the best part.
Holman

Post by Holman »

BTW, something happened to me when I had my first colonoscopy this summer...

They knock you out quickly and you're asleep for the procedure. In my case, though, one of my eyes remained half-open and dried out very uncomfortably while I was under. The irritation stayed with me for a couple of days after.

Ask them to be sure to slide your eyelids closed. You know, like you're a corpse.
JCC

Post by JCC »

mori wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:53 pm My colonoscopy is in the morning at 8 AM. Getting it done early. I saw a gastroenterologist for GI issues I have had this summer and of course the first words out of his mouth was, "We got to do a colonoscopy." I knew he was going to say that. The day before has been no big deal since I often go a day without eating. Just been drinking Gatorade and apple juice sporadically for some carbs. Just starting the fun part. I was given a list for over the counter stuff. Take four Dulcolax tablets than two hours later started drinking a gallon of clear liquid of choice mixed with 238 grams of Miralax. Seems a bit overkill. I am happy to hear that I will not be in a total fog the entire day of the procedure. I will be back to normal in a hour or two.
The worst part of the colonoscopy is the prep for sure. You get over the anesthesia quickly. And you can go home and have ice cream for breakfast!
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

One of the worst parts for me was sitting in a room at the VA with a dozen other old farts and we are all farting.
They could not have paid me enough money to work there.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

They prefer to err on the side of too little anesthesia rather than risk too much. I woke up during the last couple minutes of both of my colonoscopies. Although not painful, it is not a pleasant thing to wake up to.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

I just had my first one (I'm 51) Friday and boy am I glad I did. Turned out I had three polyps, one sizeable.

Unfortunately, my reward is to have another one in six months. :shock:
mori

Post by mori »

And it is all over. Nothing wrong inside of my colon. The doctor did take biopsies of the colon for evaluation of microscopic colitis. The night before prep was not terrible. The worst part was trying to chug a gallon of laxative mix as quickly as possible. After that it was three trips to the toilet through the evening and then a couple more in the morning before I left for the procedure. The most difficult part of the procedure was the nurse could not find a vein to administer the drugs since I was dehydrated from the clean out. I did not go unconscious except for a few minutes at the very start. I was quit alert for the rest of the procedure. Now I just feel relaxed almost an hour after the colonoscopy was completed. Just going to hang out for a while and eat something and hopefully do something this afternoon.