Jessica Jones

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Jessica Jones

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:Just don't think about all of the superheroes who have saved people falling at terminal velocity by catching them in their arms.
Or, you know, The Flash doing... just about anything.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:12 pm
Blackhawk wrote:Just don't think about all of the superheroes who have saved people falling at terminal velocity by catching them in their arms.
Or, you know, The Flash doing... just about anything.
To be fair, most of that one is internally consistent and has been justified in the lore. The Flash actually manipulates the laws of physics around himself, which allows him to grab people without slicing them in half.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Two weeks until Season 2 drops.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

That was my favorite. Usually the hero is flying up at a high rate of speed to catch them.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote:Two weeks until Season 2 drops.
That would be today.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Any advance scouts ready to report back? How is it? I'm still binging S2 of Expanse.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just watched episode 1 of season 2. It was okay, but I think I may have burned out on the Netflix marvel shows. They almost seem like low budget tv entries at this point.

Ah well, as long as there are no ninjas, I’ll probably finish it.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’ve got two more Defenders episodes and Punisher before I’m caught up.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm sorry on the first, and enjoy on the 2nd.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

We watched the first episode last night. I really like the characters, so I'm enjoying it. I don't have any expectations that this will be as good as the first season.

The worst part of the episode were some really horrible special effects.
Spoiler:
There's a speedster who shows up claiming that someone is trying to kill him. They show off his speed late in the episode, and it's... not great.

I burst out laughing, but even though the effects were terrible it didn't ruin the scene for me. The character can't be too fast, otherwise he would be called Quicksilver and part of the Avengers.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I just finished and I pretty much disliked, if not hated the whole season:

It was more of a soap opera than a superhero show
There really wasn’t any villain IMO
I di not like the character arcs of the two main supporting characters, Trish and Malcolm
I don’t know why we spent so much time on the Jenni Hogarth storyline
I hated where Jessica and everyone ended up by the end of the season
There were no good memorable fights, in fact actual fights were pretty rare
I really don’t think whoever wrote season 2 has any idea what makes a superhero show a superhero show, even for a broken one like Jones

Very disappointed, because I very much liked Season 1 - this one was a big bust for me.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
naednek

Post by naednek »

Loved Season 1.

So far after 2 episodes in, BORING
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

naednek wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:43 am Loved Season 1.

So far after 2 episodes in, BORING
I shut it off midway through the fourth episode. It’s not like I need action all the time but it would be nice to have dialogue and plot lines that make me give a shit. I liked season 1 too and the actors know how to act but the screenwriters are kind of lame this season. Heard on A.V. Club that it gets better in the second half so I’ll come back to it from time to time I guess.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Thank you for all the feedback. It saved me from watching any of Season 2 and taking it off my queue.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Just finishing it. Seems fairly drawn out and predictable at the end. I liked it but thought it could have been cut down a bit. IT drew out towards the end. Malcolm was the best part of this season. I didn't think the main enemy was very convincing. Seemed to be pretty gangly and uncoordinated.
Spoiler:
I'm assuming Trish will get powers and become the nemesis for next season (and just during the writing of this it seems that she does have powers).
Hogarth is vengeful AF.
I liked the new love interest (but that was predictable too).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Grifman wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:21 am I just finished and I pretty much disliked, if not hated the whole season:

I di not like the character arcs of the two main supporting characters, Trish and Malcolm
I really don’t think whoever wrote season 2 has any idea what makes a superhero show a superhero show, even for a broken one like Jones

Very disappointed, because I very much liked Season 1 - this one was a big bust for me.
I’m having trouble making myself even watch episode 3. :(
He won. Period.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

hepcat wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:07 pm
Grifman wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:21 am I just finished and I pretty much disliked, if not hated the whole season:

I’m having trouble making myself even watch episode 3. :(
I feel very sad about this season. I loved Jessica Jones Season 1 because it was so different IMO from the typical superhero show and Kilgrave was such a perfect foil for someone with Jessica's powers. But this season was just so lame in so many ways. It was even worse than Iron Fist IMO, and that' saying a lot :(
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m still giving Iron Fist a clear lead in the worst marvel series category. When a character who appears for less than 10 minutes in your 13 hour show (the drunk Kung fu master) is far more interesting than the main character, you know you’re in trouble.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Bonus when that actor was turned down for the lead role.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Really? Wow, that was idiotic. I know the lead they chose looks more like the comic book version, but sheesh.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:11 am Really? Wow, that was idiotic. I know the lead they chose looks more like the comic book version, but sheesh.
Ayup.

Still haven't started ep 2 of JJ Season 2. Keep telling myself that I will, but...
JCC

Post by JCC »

My wife and I are about to watch the last episode of season 2. Man this season has sucked. I hung in there with it for the first 5 or so eps thinking they were building to something interesting, but man was I wrong. I can't believe my favorite Netflix marvel hero who had my favorite Netflix marvel season will now have the worst Netflix marvel season - barring a miraculous final episode. Bitterly disappointing. There was one later episode that had a ... notable guest star (not really a spoiler, but just in case I won't reveal it)... and those parts were wonderful - something i hoped would be permanent, but man the rest of this season is just .... awful.

Oh and I thought I hated Trish before this season! I had no idea how much hatred I could hold for her... Annoying as shit character played by an awful actress.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
JCC

Post by JCC »

The last episode definitely didn't save it. Wow.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

JCC wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:18 pm The last episode definitely didn't save it. Wow.
Yeah, it was an awful season, and made even worse because of what it could have been. I was so excited, then this big turd dropped :(
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I just finished it this morning. I enjoyed it. Apparently my standards are pretty low. *shrug*
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

I enjoyed Jessica - she's still awesome and I really liked the main plotline. Everything else felt weird and a waste of time. I understood that they were going for a women with power (or seeking power) theme, but it felt like they fell short on most. Trish basically served as a plot tool to make things happen. Nothing she did really made a lot of sense as a character. The Jeri plotline was almost completely useless. It could have been excised and we never would have noticed (and I like Carrie Ann Moss). Jessica's boyfriend never really clicked for me.

I'll watch a 3rd season. My expectations will not be high.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I also don’t get all the hate. Certainly this season isn’t as good as season 1, but I’ve found it enjoyable enough. Certainly better than The Defenders and at least the second half of Luke Cage (probably better than IF as well, but I didn’t watch it). The Trish plot line is a bit annoying, but everything with JJ herself has been fine.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:14 pm I also don’t get all the hate. Certainly this season isn’t as good as season 1, but I’ve found it enjoyable enough. Certainly better than The Defenders and at least the second half of Luke Cage (probably better than IF as well, but I didn’t watch it). The Trish plot line is a bit annoying, but everything with JJ herself has been fine.
I'm with you. I just recently finished it, and liked it. I think (as is usually the case with Netflix's Marvel shows) it would have been better were it an episode or three shorter, but it was good.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I liked it. I went in expecting a big step down from season 1. I don’t think that’s what we got. Certainly it’s not as good. But I enjoyed the characters.

The worst part to me was all of the running by Jessica Jones. The actress has a terrible run, and I couldn’t help but laugh every time she flailed her arms.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I can't recall. Maybe I haven't gotten that far yet. But she can't be as funny a runner as Steven Seagal. He cracks me up every time he runs.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

TheMix wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:28 pm I can't recall. Maybe I haven't gotten that far yet. But she can't be as funny a runner as Steven Seagal. He cracks me up every time he runs.
I see what you mean.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And I forced myself to finish season 2. Is there anyone on this show who isn’t a douchebag?
He won. Period.