Jessica Jones

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: Jessica Jones

Post by hepcat »

Moliere wrote:The smallest rugby players ever!
I'm guessing an office rugby team.

Having Cage act bored and annoyed throughout that fight scene made it so much better. :lol:
Covfefe!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

hepcat wrote:Having Cage act bored and annoyed throughout that fight scene made it so much better. :lol:
Reminded me of Batman
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Three episodes down and yay, finally stuff is starting to happen! I've decided I'm not a fan of the film noir style here, though. I think if you're going to do film noir you need to match the style with the action or acting, eg Sin City. But this third episode, which has a lot more happening than the previous two, doesn't rely so much on the film noir so hopefully it'll be a minor niggle as things progress.

I also need to stop hoping for an equivalent to Daredevil's episode 2 hallway fight scene, I think.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I did not intend to binge-watch the entire 13-episode season yesterday, but I did and I have no regrets. It was really good. I enjoyed Daredevil more, but in terms of characters and complexity this was arguably the "better" show.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Spoiler about season 2 villain

Spoiler:
took me awhile to recognize that was Nuke..

The Pills. they are setting up season 2 villian
Last edited by tru1cy on Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

So i am about 6 episodes in so far and I'd say its good, better than most drivel on network TV; but its lacking something and I am not sure what it is. Maybes its pacing, or maybe the plot seems like its weaving like a drunk driver. I'm not sure.
I'm ok with the noir feel and the actors do a decent job with what their roles; i think its the overall structure that's bothering me about it so far. Maybe its not super heroey enough for me, not much crime busting for a PI. Just trying to figure out why.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Odin

Post by Odin »

I think I'd call that the "Magnum P.I. Effect." Nobody knows what PIs really do - we just see Tom Selleck on TV busting bad guys and breaking up white slavery rings and such. To my understanding, most of what we see Jessica Jones doing is in the realm of actual PI work - serving summonses, getting incriminating photos, tracking people down, etc. One could probably argue "sure, but that's no more fun to watch than a show about a guy who paints houses for a living," but at least it's fairly accurate.

And tru1cy, you may want to give your spoiler some sort of context, like "Spoiler for the possible future identity of a season 1 character" or somesuch. As it stands now, somebody might think "I've seen all of season 1 so I'm okay" only to find out that it's actually a possible spoiler for future seasons.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm four episodes in. So far my impression is similar to Newcastle's. I like it so far, especially the first two episodes, but it doesn't have the same pull on me so far that Daredevil had. Part of it might be that the villain hasn't been featured enough yet and so far he seems pretty one dimensional, unlike Kingpin. Hopefully that changes as he gets more tv time.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Give Kilgrave through episode 8 or 9.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think having Kilgrave an unseen presence throughout the earlier episodes has been a tremendous choice by the writers. The tension I'm experiencing while waiting on his full arrival has been fantastic.
Covfefe!
Chaosraven

Post by Chaosraven »

So hints of LC, PF, DD, JJ in a Defenders show?
"Where are you off to?"
"I don't know," Snufkin replied.
The door shut again and Snufkin entered his forest, with a hundred miles of silence ahead of him.

Sweet sweet meat come. -LordMortis
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Chaosraven wrote:So hints of LC, PF, DD, JJ in a Defenders show?

Not really but a connection for DD showed up in the very last episode and it was a very cool tie in
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

It's getting hard for me to put up with her being a bitch to everyone. Friends, lovers, and strangers are all treated with equal annoyance and curtness.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Spoiler alert: Sometimes functional alcoholics are assholes. Even the ones with super powers.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:

Yeah, I'm not sure I can get behind the complaint of "She's too meeeaaannnn!" for this show.
Covfefe!
Odin

Post by Odin »

One thing they never addressed, but which I wondered about and which I believe every member of my family commented on at different times (since nobody but me sat through the entire 13 hours): her drinking. Now, is she a functional alcoholic who drinks a lot and then gets on with her life? Or is she able to tolerate more alcohol than a normal person because she's super? Or is there some other reason she drinks so much? Was this a story element that they covered and I missed, or did they just show her drinking through 35% of the show and expect us to draw our own conclusions?
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Smoove_B wrote:Spoiler alert: Sometimes functional alcoholics are assholes. Even the ones with super powers.
Lets also remember her alcoholism is a direct result of her being dominated/raped by a Mad Man
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I am around episode 9 in, and my opinion hasn't risen on the show, its dropped down a tad actually. I'll still wait to the end for a final judgment on it. But its no longer good, just ok.

Let me ask this for those in the know and truly know the Marvel Universe, feel free to spoil the response. How close is the Jessica Jones Netflix to the source material of the marvel comics? Is the plot lines from season 1 similiar to what's found in the Marvel comic books? IS there really a Killgreave in the source materials? Does she deal with him similarly?

I'd spoil those answers. Am looking at truicy who seems to know a lot.
Bayraktar!!!!

tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Newcastle wrote:I am around episode 9 in, and my opinion hasn't risen on the show, its dropped down a tad actually. I'll still wait to the end for a final judgment on it. But its no longer good, just ok.

Let me ask this for those in the know and truly know the Marvel Universe, feel free to spoil the response. How close is the Jessica Jones Netflix to the source material of the marvel comics? Is the plot lines from season 1 similiar to what's found in the Marvel comic books? IS there really a Killgreave in the source materials? Does she deal with him similarly?

I'd spoil those answers. Am looking at truicy who seems to know a lot.
Spoiler:
It's pretty close to the source material. Kilgrave aka The Purple Man dominated her for 8 months and did some pretty horrible things to her and she did quit being a hero because of it. The Scarlet Witch err Jean Grey actually saved her from the mind control by making her immune. They changed some of the plot from the comics, but it stays faithful to the spirit of the source material. Eventually, Luke Cage and Jessica married in the comics but I don't know if the MCU will follow that plotline
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Is her super powers just that she's strong? She obviously bleeds like anyone else which seems to contradict her feats of strength. For example, picking up the car is going to cause major damage to fingers.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You can be strong without having tough skin in comics. Or at least skin that could stop a bullet, as the case may be.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moliere wrote:The smallest rugby players ever!
So I only learned who Luke Cage is in the Marvel Puzzle Quest game. Not a hero I grew up with or knew much about until recently. That's for context.

So I'm watching the video, and yeah, he's a superhero, so it's easy pickin's for him and I just have to wonder why he's punching these idiots in the face. I realize Luke is not Superman or Duddly Dooright, but man, it would be like me going to the local playground and having an eight year old take a swing at me so I "teach him and his buddies a lesson". What kind of monster would I be if I started smashing the faces of mortals if I was completely immune to anything they could do to me?

It just seems kind of excessive.

I don't know why this particular clip has me questioning the ethics of punching people in the face when you're practically invulnerable to anything they can do to you, but it seems abusive. Maybe it's the bar environment. I don't have a problem with Spidey bopping a bank robber in the nose, so why do I have a problem with Luke Cage smacking around some drunks who try to stab him in the neck?

And that's another thing, your average barroom brawler dude is not going to try to kill you with a broken bottle by trying to jam it into the back of your head. There's a difference between punching a loudmouth in the face and jamming broken glass into an ear.

My comments are meant in good humour, not serious criticism, but they do accurately reflect my feelings when watching the bar room clip.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Moliere wrote:Is her super powers just that she's strong? She obviously bleeds like anyone else which seems to contradict her feats of strength. For example, picking up the car is going to cause major damage to fingers.
If you're looking for a traditional super hero show, you should probably just stop watching as this isn't going to be it. It's actually one of the reasons I stopped reading the comic book as I didn't have a full appreciation for all the references being made as they retconned her into the Marvel Universe back in 2001. I'd actually only picked up the comic based on the fact that it was written by Brian Michael Bendis (author of my favorite comic of all time, Powers), but most of it was lost on me at the time.

Similar to Powers, this is a story about a person that has been through some seriously screwed up shit and isn't really interested in being a super hero. Her powers aren't the story here. It's really the story of how a person deals with being psychologically damaged. Incidentally, she has super strength and increased endurance - neither of which help her in any way deal with the mental trauma she's suffered and trying to live with. It's just a different take on the super hero genre, and I can understand it's not for everyone - particularly if you want beat-em-ups and capes. I think it was episode three or four where she has like a five word exchange with Cage about her powers and their origins. "Accident." Totally different than the Iron Man origin movie or even the season of Daredevil -- her powers (and the fact that she has them) aren't really the focus here.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Not sure if you were aware, Smoove, but Powers was made into a tv show. Though the one review on IMDB was not very friendly.

I did see the trailer the other night before one of my Netflix movies, and the trailer looked pretty sweet.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Netflix is playing trailers before movies now?
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote:Netflix is playing trailers before movies now?
On the physical disks, yes.

I know... I'm a dinosaur that still gets disks. :P

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What is this "disc" you speak of? Is it anything like the ancient grammaphones my great grandfather would talk about during his infrequent moments of lucidity?
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Powers is on PlayStation Network. I know the first episode is up for free viewing. They're currently in production of season 2, I believe. With special guest star Wil Wheaton.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote:What is this "disc" you speak of? Is it anything like the ancient grammaphones my great grandfather would talk about during his infrequent moments of lucidity?
I like the blu-ray quality. Plus, I watch while I workout, and that tv isn't hooked up to anything that allows me to stream. Yet.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

TheMix wrote:Not sure if you were aware, Smoove, but Powers was made into a tv show. Though the one review on IMDB was not very friendly.
I am, but thanks. :wink:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smoove_B wrote:
TheMix wrote:Not sure if you were aware, Smoove, but Powers was made into a tv show. Though the one review on IMDB was not very friendly.
I am, but thanks. :wink:
:D

I missed that thread the first time around. Interesting. The trailer didn't even show that Izzard was in it. But it seems like it will be a while before I can check it out.

Black Lives Matter

cheeba

Post by cheeba »

And finished. While the show did get better toward the end, its uneven pacing, often stupid and uninteresting side-arcs, and reliance on melodrama over action prevent it from becoming anything more than average or marginally above. There is very, very little superhero-ness about this show. It is about Jessica Jones being a surly asshole because of PTSD. Every once in a while she'll break a lock with her super strength or appear to jump very high, which is almost always depicted by her half-starting to jump and then cutting to her half-landing, like kids making a movie with their parents' camera. The fight scenes are nothing different than what you'd see in any network TV show. There's never really a special moment in the show that separates it from regular, boring network TV.

Krysten Ritter plays the part well and she's certainly easy on the eyes, it's just too bad there wasn't much of a character arc for her to play through.

The strongest parts of the story are her relationship with Luke Cage and the villain. The villain is creepy and deadly and yet almost whimsical when you finally get to hear him talk and interact with people, which makes him even creepier.

If there's a season 2 I will probably watch it, but only when there's nothing else on.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Favorite scene so far is Kilgrave yelling "Everyone quiet!!" in the restaurant. :lol: How could you not abuse that kind of power?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Finished it last night, and i think i'd give it a 6.5/10. Maybe. SO many things to nitpick about it...where to start...

spoilering per request...
Spoiler:
-jessica jones is not a pleasant person and is a very unappealing character. Not someone I'd want to spend a lot of time with. I was thinking if there was a male comparable with a churlish attitude and really couldn't think of any in modern detective fiction; so it really cant be sexism. But she is a very unlikable character and that hurts in my eyes. You have to have some sort of rooting interest in the hero to succeed, and honestly i really didn't care for her and her asshole attitude. To make her more palatable she needed another character with her to kidn of brighten it up a bit. Not comic relief mind you, but someone who's likable. Yeah i get she got mindfucked by the guy, but even with that she's not that likeable of a character. Maybe she's an "anti-hero", but man...got tired of her attitude. She literally lost me at the subway scene; that was just not right

-so many unlikable characters. If your main character is gonna be churlish and standoffish you need to give a lot of screen time to folks folks who are likable (IE Luke Cage & Trish). Unfortunately there are quite a few unlikable characters in here who get way more screen time than they deserve - malcolm, jeri, the redhead sister. Point in case the red head sister...why was she even on the show? Listening to her rant was one of the most unpleasant parts of the whole experience. Was she suppose to show a moral contrast with Malcom? (another uninteresting character). Malcom wasn't that interesting and unfortunately Carrie Ann Moss didn't come across as a bad ass Lawyer fixer; but rather slimy shark who's got zero moral compass.

-the plotting and pacing were horrible. They literally shot their load in episode 5 with the brown paper bag and outside a cafe. Way too soon for such a dramatic confrontation and then the next few episodes aren't "how do we resolve the situation" but rather lets get drunk and oh, Luke Cage needs help. They built up too fast for such a heavy moment, that sequence needed to be around episode 9 or so or in the back third of the show. Way too soon for such a heavy moment.

-She finds Kilgrave to be a serious nemesis, but its not her sole focus; the plot makes her meander everywhere but focusing on Kilgrave. The episode where they track down the kid, then trying to get the wife to sign the documents. Everything but lets find Kilgrave.

-I think they miss-used Kilgrave he could have been a bigger nemesis to Jessica instead of simply trying to control her, why not make him more of a nemesis to society? I mean if you have a characters who's quite unlikable why should I care if he's trying to control her or not? Raise the stakes higher. Because seriously I could care less about JJ.

-By far the best parts were when Kilgrave & Jessica Jones were sparing and dueling. Without that element the show really suffered.

-Kilgrave I thought was awesome and a great villain. He brought his A game to the show.

- too many side plots which didn't add anything to the story - the sister/brother, the divorce seeking angle, mopey malcom.

-anyone else wonder why she was stalking Luke Cage? Why wasn't that better explained? Booty call? Guilt?

If there is a season 2, they need new writers and better trajectory. The showrunner should not be given a 2nd crack at this. A community college writers group would do a helluva lot better than this group. They probably could have cut the 13 epsiodes down to about 6-7 and it would have been a helluva show.

Now, maybe they tried to faithfully adhere to the Marvel source, and if they did..good for them. But I really have to wonder why Netflix chose to do such a large episode chunk devoted to such an unlikeable character
yeah I didn't like it, so sue me. (see what i did there, I channeled my inner Jesssica Jones).
Last edited by Newcastle on Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bayraktar!!!!

msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Newcastle wrote: I was thinking if there was a male comparable with a churlish attitude and really couldn't think of any in modern detective fiction; so it really cant be sexism.
Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock Holmes?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

msteelers wrote:
Newcastle wrote: I was thinking if there was a male comparable with a churlish attitude and really couldn't think of any in modern detective fiction; so it really cant be sexism.
he's not an asshole, aloof sure, but not an outright asshole.
Bayraktar!!!!

Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

msteelers wrote:
All the characters in breaking bad, Rick Grimes, Stabler svu, decker,Corben dallas, every Tommy Lee Jones character...
Last edited by Combustible Lemur on Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Newcastle wrote:Says a lot of stuff
Man, there are a lot of spoilers in what you just posted. You might want to fix that.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Finished the series today.
Spoiler:
Why did they wait until the last episode before someone thought to cover their ears and avoid hearing him?

Jessica could have killed him from a distance multiple times. The last episode was a perfect example. While Trish distracted him and the cops she could have taken her shot. Instead it requires a slow walk and tricking him into getting close.

Remember when he was escaping from the Sin Bin and Jessica grabbed his arm instead of punching him in the head to knock him out? :roll:
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Yeah there are a lot of dumb decisions/plotholes like that. But the most serious problem with the show? Trish, a wealthy New Yorker, drives a Hyundai.