Jessica Jones

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

geezer

Re: Jessica Jones

Post by geezer »

cheeba wrote:Yeah there are a lot of dumb decisions/plotholes like that. But the most serious problem with the show? Trish, a wealthy New Yorker, drives a Hyundai.
That's not unusual.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Indeed.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Finished it Saturday night. While I still enjoyed it a great deal, I did have some quibbles.
Spoiler:
The whole Simpson side story was friggin' annoying. I know they tried to tie it into Jessica's origin, but it just pissed me off at some point. Heck, I initially liked the Simpson character. The actor had good chemistry with Trish, and he seemed like a genuinely decent supporting character. But the super soldier side story was just lazy writing.

Hey, Jessica...ear plugs. They were invented prior to episode 13, you know.

Finally, I don't ever want to be admitted to a hospital that considers a powered hand drill to be a viable plan B.
He won. Period.
MHS

Post by MHS »

hepcat wrote:Finished it Saturday night. While I still enjoyed it a great deal, I did have some quibbles.
Spoiler:
The whole Simpson side story was friggin' annoying. I know they tried to tie it into Jessica's origin, but it just pissed me off at some point. Heck, I initially liked the Simpson character. The actor had good chemistry with Trish, and he seemed like a genuinely decent supporting character. But the super soldier side story was just lazy writing.

Hey, Jessica...ear plugs. They were invented prior to episode 13, you know.

Finally, I don't ever want to be admitted to a hospital that considers a powered hand drill to be a viable plan B.
Spoiler:
But the super soldier story is MCU canon. He's Nuke.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, I did not know that. Still, it does little to change my opinion that the character was just a poor addition to the story. Probably because the reveal for his past felt like it was just tossed in at the 11th hour without so much as a "how do you do".
He won. Period.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

hepcat wrote:Ah, I did not know that. Still, it does little to change my opinion that the character was just a poor addition to the story. Probably because the reveal for his past felt like it was just tossed in at the 11th hour without so much as a "how do you do".
Meet season 2 ( when it happens) villian.
I also assume Trish will
Spoiler:
become Hellcat
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I liked the actor portraying him. Don't get me wrong.
Spoiler:
It's just the transition from nice, sensitive cool guy to drug crazed, violent super freak felt like it happened on his walk home from Trish's apartment one day. It was way too abrupt. Plus, I'm not sure I even like the idea of the show cramming yet another dark and shadowy government agency into the Marvel Universe. At this rate, we're going to find out that the Boy Scouts of America is a cover for AIM.
He won. Period.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Yeah the Simpson story arc was odd. But really every side story arc was odd.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm probably just annoyed that they tried to distract from Tennant's awesome main story. In lesser hands, that character could've been a joke. But he made him both terrifying AND sympathetic at the same time.
Spoiler:
I almost wish he'd lived so he could come back for more.
He won. Period.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I'm starting to think mind control is a real thing, because that's the only reason I can think of why I continued to watch this horrible show to the end.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I like to believe something like that when I watch something I don't like all the way through to the end. But I realize privately it's just plain old stupidity. :wink:
He won. Period.
ericb

Post by ericb »

stimpy wrote:I'm starting to think mind control is a real thing, because that's the only reason I can think of why I continued to watch this horrible show to the end.
I have to agree. The plot holes are big enough to put New York City in them but if they are changing certain things from the comics and history then it should have been redone completely. I'm beginning to think they found the writers of Heroes season 2 to come back and create this series.

Spoilers below (obviously)
Spoiler:
He has to speak to mind control? Don't rip his tongue out.
Regular humans attack when he's captured...hit them without your super strength that can lift cars.
Potential super villain that could take over or destroy the world...don't call the Avengers for help.
World with Avengers and aliens but no one believes in mind control.
Know someone (very closely) with unbreakable skin and super strength? Don't ask for help with the super villain.
Plan is to capture villain with complete mind control powers to save a teenager. Ignores scores of active victims.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think more than a few of your complaints have large plot holes themselves. :wink:
He won. Period.
Sabassis

Post by Sabassis »

Just finished the show and loved it. Just finished the thread and im like "what the". I thought the show was awesome. Maybe because i did not know the background, but i loved the noir. Yeah, Jessica is a total bitch that has sympathy but only from people who dont know real victims. She played the rape/mind control/never again victim awesome. And I felt it was like a "agents of shield" where they cant ask for avengers help, no problem with it. I cant wait for the Luke Cage show or season 2 of this one.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I finished last night and liked the show. There were some obviously plot holes (I kept screaming for someone to wear earplugs) but they didn't bother me too much. I think the writers tried to cover a lot of the "plot holes" mentioned above (e.g. JJ's concern overriding concern to save that one girl prevented her from doing a lot. Also when someone can controls minds you want to keep the most powerful people away from him at all costs), so they didn't bother me much. In any case, I enjoyed it. I think DD was better but JJ was still far and away better than most superhero stuff on network TV (the possible exception being The Flash).
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I am the last person in the world to finish watching Jessica Jones! Man, that was great. Like Daredevil, it had a clear and distinct tone and point of view, with very good writing and acting. And so far, the Netflix Marvel series are batting a thousand when it comes to villains.

I'm very much looking forward to the Luke Cage series.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

AWS260 wrote:I am the last person in the world to finish watching Jessica Jones! Man, that was great. Like Daredevil, it had a clear and distinct tone and point of view, with very good writing and acting. And so far, the Netflix Marvel series are batting a thousand when it comes to villains.

I'm very much looking forward to the Luke Cage series.
Unfortunately, due to a variety of reasons, I have not seen the last 3 episodes. I am not happy about it

Looking forward to all th rest of the marvel stuff as well
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I finished the whole series a few weeks ago, and loved every minute of it. Quibbles aside, thought it was right up there with DD.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

hentzau wrote:I finished the whole series a few weeks ago, and loved every minute of it. Quibbles aside, thought it was right up there with DD.
I did too, but I wouldn't rank it as anywhere near as good as Daredevil. One episode that rankled me, and seemed particularly moronic:
Spoiler:
When they had Kilgrave incarcerated in the glass prison. Perhaps I missed something, but JJ eventually enters the prison cell with Kilgrave, and apparently closes and seals the door behind her, by turning a conveniently-placed circular wheel on the inside of the door. Maybe there was more to it than simply turning that wheel, but the very notion of placing such a means of opening and closing the door from the inside of what was supposedly a prison cell seemed like a fairly daft oversight. Sure, perhaps there was some additional electronic locking contrivance or somesuch, but I think it would've been more convincing to simply depict another character turning the circular wheel from the outside of the door, after JJ had entered (especially since it wasn't even relevant to Kilgrave's escape anyway).

But that entire episode was rather stupid and poorly-written, and amounted to little more than the clichéd "Don’t go in there!" plot device from a cheesy horror movie stretched out over the whole episode, along with the blatantly predictable wait for a character to do something totally idiotic to free tbe supervillain. The sloppy writing was perhaps best exemplified when Kilgrave eventually used his frail old man to somehow overpower a woman with supposed-superhuman strength in order to effect his escape. :grund:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Oh, there were numerous similar issues throughout the season. I still enjoyed it.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Zaxxon wrote:Oh, there were numerous similar issues throughout the season.
Oh, absolutely. But that particular episode struck me as perhaps the nonsensical nadir. Overall, I found Season 1 of Jessica Jones barely adequate (and even that was only because of the acting talents of David Tennant), particularly in comparison to Daredevil. The protagonist was a right old bugger-lugs, and seemed about as dull as dishwater to me.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:I found Season 1 of Jessica Jones barely adequate (and even that was only because of the acting talents of David Tennant)
You're not alone.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

JESSICA!!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Season 2 will start on 3/8/18 -- announced via this trailer.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I love the "great power..." bit at the end of the trailer. :lol:

I really enjoyed the first season of Jessica Jones, and I'm glad that we're getting a second. It will be interesting to see where they go with the story.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:27 pm Full trailer.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:52 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:27 pm Full trailer.
Fixed; thanks.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...and I have to be going on a damn Disney Cruise that weekend... and no, not the Marvel themed cruise even. :evil:

I'm guessing netflix in the room won't be an option. :P

edit: Just to save Isg the trouble I googled and they have pay as you go wi-fi packages capping out at $89/GB. I'm not sure I am *that* excited to see Jessica Jones.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I used to work for Cingular. The worst calls were explaining the bill to the people that used their phone onboard.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:58 pm ...and I have to be going on a damn Disney Cruise that weekend... and no, not the Marvel themed cruise even. :evil:

I'm guessing netflix in the room won't be an option. :P

edit: Just to save Isg the trouble I googled and they have pay as you go wi-fi packages capping out at $89/GB. I'm not sure I am *that* excited to see Jessica Jones.
Even when it connects (which is hit and miss) the speed is horrible. It's decent for checking a few e-mails, but that's about it (on Royal Carribean, anyways)

I finally got around to watching the first episode of Jessica Jones last night, and was nearly bored to tears. Heard good things so I'm assuming it gets better, but...yaaaaaaaaaaawn.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:28 pm I finally got around to watching the first episode of Jessica Jones last night, and was nearly bored to tears. Heard good things so I'm assuming it gets better, but...yaaaaaaaaaaawn.
It doesn't. More emo and more angry at everyone, episode after episode. Also, the physics don't match. I get that she is super strong, but her skin is not. So when she punches a wall or lifts a car it should shred her skin.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Unrealistic physics in a superhero show? Say it ain't so!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:49 pm Unrealistic physics in a superhero show? Say it ain't so!
I said they don't match, not that they are unrealistic. Notice my complaint is not about her being super strong.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

OK, I'll update.

Internally inconsistent physics in a superhero show? Say it ain't so!

(I agree with your observation. Just don't think it's a big deal.)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I'm in the middle of reading Jim Butcher's Fury novels and it bugs me that people are flying around at high altitude with no concern about the cold or thin atmosphere. Again, I'm not disputing their ability to fly.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Maybe you'll like the second season better then - the trailer shows her punching a wall and ending up with a bloody fist.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

sweet! didn't even know it was coming out next month
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just don't think about all of the superheroes who have saved people falling at terminal velocity by catching them in their arms.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)