[SyFy]Expanse

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

FishPants
Server WhOOre

Re: [SyFy]Expanse

Post by FishPants »

Yeah I'm a fan now, I kept watching and I am *really* impressed with the production quality. I'm really enjoying seeing someone's vision of what the books laid out, simple things like seeing the Rocinante on the TV, and the deceleration burns on ships to slow down. It's right up my alley -- however I think my wife quietly says to herself "nerd..." when I turn it on. I'm ok with it.
No.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Too bad they couldn't finish the first book in season 1. In some respects this is where the story starts getting better. At least all of the exposition is out of the way.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Yeah, 13 episodes might have got us to the actual ending. It'll be interesting to see how they structure next season with getting into the plot of book 2. I'm also curious to see who they can come up with to cast as Bobbie.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Hamlet3145 wrote:I'm also curious to see who they can come up with to cast as Bobbie.
Gwendoline Christie
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Wow that was both brutal and awesome for a season finale. They give you just enough to kind of understand whats going on now but save the full monty for next season. Every character had their moments but Miller and Amos stole the show.
I am really impressed with this 1st season of Expanse. It shows that Syfy is capable of good quality sci-fi, if they really put forth the effort. I hope more people catch on to this show, it deserves a bigger audience. The only down side is that we likely have a year, at least, before new episodes air.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not happy. I went to go catch up through streaming and I get this:
This content requires a valid, unexpired auth token
I tried logging out and logging back in. I tried two different machines and nope. No can watch.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

LordMortis wrote:Not happy. I went to go catch up through streaming and I get this:
This content requires a valid, unexpired auth token
I tried logging out and logging back in. I tried two different machines and nope. No can watch.
I tried watching it there as well last week but I got a message that their authorization system is down. Fortunately I have Kodi and watched it through that. Out of curiosity I checked again today and its still down. It seems they have a glitch right now.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I've had the Leviathan Wakes on my Kindle for a while now and decided to start reading it after this ended, really enjoying it and the differences between the two. It surprised me to find that it seems like I'm about to catch up with the series finale and I'm only about 25-30% through the book. So wondering based on other comments here - do we really think 3 more episodes could have wrapped up the book or that they'll move into the second book in the second season?

And damn, 2017 for more? :(
-mf
Jag

Post by Jag »

MonkeyFinger wrote:I've had the Leviathan Wakes on my Kindle for a while now and decided to start reading it after this ended, really enjoying it and the differences between the two. It surprised me to find that it seems like I'm about to catch up with the series finale and I'm only about 25-30% through the book. So wondering based on other comments here - do we really think 3 more episodes could have wrapped up the book or that they'll move into the second book in the second season?

They could have easily fit the entire book into one season. I'm not sure if it was a cost issue or they wanted to leave it on a cliff hangar.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

They announced on Syfy that new episodes of The Expanse will air January 2017. So at least its less than a year.

Also I think that they dont want to churn through the material too fast. The book series is planned for 9 novels and 5 are out. They took a slow burn approach and covered a lot of the back story and politics early to get them out of the way. Now that they have reached the key reveal in the plot, things will move much faster I believe. If the series continues its run and can get through the first 5 novels over the next 3-4 seasons, the book series should be far enough past the TV series that they can avoid the issues that Game of Thrones has, which is beginning to out pace GRRM's writing speed.
Toe

Post by Toe »

I thought it was a pretty decent show for SyFy. Decent acting and special affects (which is saying something for a standard cable TV series) and not too typical plot. Some of the lesser characters were a bit weak, but overall, it was decent. The only rolly-eyes moment for me was that segment where they had to get past security forces, i.e., the donkey balls solution.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jag wrote:
MonkeyFinger wrote:I've had the Leviathan Wakes on my Kindle for a while now and decided to start reading it after this ended, really enjoying it and the differences between the two. It surprised me to find that it seems like I'm about to catch up with the series finale and I'm only about 25-30% through the book. So wondering based on other comments here - do we really think 3 more episodes could have wrapped up the book or that they'll move into the second book in the second season?

They could have easily fit the entire book into one season. I'm not sure if it was a cost issue or they wanted to leave it on a cliff hangar.
They spent a lot of time setting up characters for book 2 I think. They used those same characters to give background to book 1 even though they don't appear in book 1.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Finally saw episode 9. Now I'm sad. There needs to be more story here.
Jag

Post by Jag »

LordMortis wrote:Finally saw episode 9. Now I'm sad. There needs to be more story here.
There is.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon said the same thing.

What's very sad, is that I'd love to read more but at this point in life my eyes are getting too tired to stare a monitor 9 or 12 hours a day at work to read a book any more. My eyes are getting so tired that my video gaming has largely halted except for where I can sit far away from the monitor and everything is really big. I can wear reading glasses and everything is sharp and all but my eyes still get tired very easily.

Aside from "how to lose you money by moving it from savings to securities" books, I haven't read a book in probably three years. :(

So... Book on tape?
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

LordMortis wrote:So... Book on tape?
Friend of mine does all of his 'reading' by having them read to him in the car but he also has an hour commute. Each way.
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm still doing podcasts, but books on tape is waiting in the weeks wen I get tired of listening to Robert Krulwich add nothing of value to Jad Abumrad's reporting.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
SlapBone

Post by SlapBone »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
LordMortis wrote:So... Book on tape?
Friend of mine does all of his 'reading' by having them read to him in the car but he also has an hour commute. Each way.
I am an avid book collector and reader but when I found the options to speed up Audible on my iPhone I hit the jackpot. Depending on the narrator, I will speed it up to 1.5x or 2.0x the actual speed and just rip through books - including book 3 of The Expanse.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I finally finished watching this last night, and loved it. I read the first book as it started and was somewhat disturbed early on by how much they added/changed but in the end they pretty much knocked it out of the park.

I am looking forward to the next episodes in Jan 2017.
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Season 2 of The Expanse will air in February and Syfy has done a 20 minute documentary hosted by Adam Savage that goes behind the scenes and recaps the first season. Its a nice way to refresh the character in your mind and its pretty interesting as well.

http://www.blastr.com/2016-12-19/mythbu ... expanse-s2
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Season 2 starts tonight!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Smoove_B wrote:Season 2 starts tonight!
I have it set to record but I figure to watch the recap mentioned above first. Don't want to get my memories of the book and show confused.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:Season 2 starts tonight!
Can't wait till everyone goes to bed and I can watch this and The Magicians!

And go forth and kick ass Gunny Draper!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
DD*

Post by DD* »

Damn, I forgot to DVR this. I'll have to see if I can catch up via on-demand.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

FedEx containers in spaaaaaaaace!
Hodor.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

pr0ner wrote:FedEx containers in spaaaaaaaace!
FedEx... When your breaching pod absolutely, positively has to be there overnight!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's Miller time!!!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holy moly. Did they ever do the ending of Leviathan Wakes justice in tonight's episode.
Hodor.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Totally. 8-)
-mf
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It was not particularly clear:
Spoiler:
That Eros did indeed crash into Venus. It seems there was only the color of the planet to go on.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Jaymann wrote:It was not particularly clear:
Spoiler:
That Eros did indeed crash into Venus. It seems there was only the color of the planet to go on.
Actually they did make it clear, during the final scenes on Earth they
Spoiler:
Showed a large monitor that said "Eros now on course to Venus"
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

So last night they introduced the Prax/Mei story arc from the second book, which I am about 75% through. And dang, did they change that around or what? I'm sure the core of it is there but (failing memory aside) the initial events of which were pretty unique to the TV version of the story. I know the book authors are involved in bring this to television so assuming it is part of their effort to condense things, bringing these large books to the small screen. Not a complaint, just an observation as I'm still enjoying the hell out of this show. :D
-mf
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Still enjoying the hell out of this show and I was happy to see it's been picked up for a 3rd season - they must be crushing it in the ratings.
Syfy has renewed the sci-fi drama for a 13-episode third season, the network announced Thursday. The pick-up comes in the midst of the series’ second season, which airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. ET.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Smoove_B wrote:Still enjoying the hell out of this show and I was happy to see it's been picked up for a 3rd season - they must be crushing it in the ratings.
Syfy has renewed the sci-fi drama for a 13-episode third season, the network announced Thursday. The pick-up comes in the midst of the series’ second season, which airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. ET.
Fwiw I'm ALL in, and introduced Keri. Who is moderately hooked
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I require that you inform me when S3 starts. I only know it's supposed to be early this year.

We blew through the first two seasons on DVD and I'm now thoroughly hooked.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Den of Geek
While it hasn't been officially announced yet, we expect The Expanse season 3 will arrive in mid-2018. We'll update this when we have confirmation.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

April 11 is the start date for Season 3.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Just a bump to reiterate the post above mine -- and to make sure your DVR is all set!

EDIT: You know what's weird? I picked up the first book and I just can't get into it. Not sure if it's the pacing or the author's style, but I enjoy the show so much more - which is a rarity for me.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:20 am So... Book on tape?
Are you living in the 80's? I listen to several audiobooks per week, nearly all of them in MP3 format. Occasionally Librarything will send me one on CD to review, which I'll then just listen to in the car. When CDs were a more common thing, I'd rip them, but it's just not worth the effort anymore.

It did lead to an amusing coincidence last summer when I got a Civil War book on CD the same time I happened to be listening to one of the Dark Tower novels...both were narrated by the same guy.
Black Lives Matter
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Can't Wait!!!!!

:dance: