[movie] He Never Died

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

[movie] He Never Died

Post by hepcat »

I was intrigued when this showed up for rental in Amazon VOD the other day because it stars Henry Rollins. I love me some Henry Rollins, but I also realize he's not what anyone would call a great actor. However, I took a chance and rented it after hearing some good things elsewhere about it.

I'm glad I did.

Rollins' monotone delivery and emotionless expressions works perfectly for his character, an immortal who just doesn't really like us that much and would rather you leave him alone. But circumstances force his hand and he finds himself mixed up in a brawl with the local mob. The movie jumps from wry humor to gumshoe detective story to bloody action film every few minutes. But it all works. Thanks mainly to the often hilarious deadpan delivery of Rollins. Jump to the 1:44 mark in the trailer I linked to above for an example of how great Rollins can be in this film.

I want more Jack (Rollins' character), damn it.

Rent it on Amazon...but use the OO link!
Last edited by hepcat on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Re: [movie] He Never Died

Post by Daehawk »

Looks good. If Iwasn't paying attention Id think that was Col O'Neil :) Looks almost like Richard Dean Anderson
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
tgb

Post by tgb »

I remember Tom Chick raving about this and have had it in the back of my mind. Just added it to the queue waiting list.

I loved Rollins' "10 Things You Never Knew About........." series.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Looks... awesome. 8-)
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Even after my post it just now struck my that Henry Rollins is grey haired!! DAaaamn. F U time! Hadn't seen him in a while. I still remember high school and one of my friends was a huge Black Flag fan. I even used a Quake skin of him in multiplayer lol.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Saw this movie like a week ago. It was good overall, but shallow. Rollins' performance was very good, and he carries the movie well. My main problem with it is that the conflict part wasn't very interesting. Still, if anyone's at all a fan of Rollins I'd say you should definitely watch it.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Daehawk wrote:Even after my post it just now struck my that Henry Rollins is grey haired!!
So did Cain leave the Garden as a 54 year old man or did he age a bit and then stop? It seems like a weird age to spend as immortal.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The story is almost secondary. It's all about Jack's character. It's definitely not a film I'd call deep, but it is entertaining. And the charisma Rollins has as that character is really the only thing that makes the film worth watching.
Moliere wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Even after my post it just now struck my that Henry Rollins is grey haired!!
So did Cain leave the Garden as a 54 year old man or did he age a bit and then stop? It seems like a weird age to spend as immortal.
Spoiler:
I also was confused by the whole angel wings thing. Why would one of the sons of Adam and Eve have them? And why were they ripped off? He makes a point of checking his daughter's back for signs of them at one point too.
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
He won. Period.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Well jesus, spoilers guys :P.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

cheeba wrote:Well jesus, spoilers guys :P.
Everything I said was in the trailer.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yes, but I went a bit further. Sorry, I'll put my thoughts on the character in spoilers.
He won. Period.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Too be fair, so were the scars on his back... for half a second. Which looked like what Hepcat mentioned, although I too was wondering the why of it.
-mf
tgb

Post by tgb »

I read that Ben Carson has named this as the best documentary of 2015.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can't hear the name "Ben Carson" without hearing Darth Trump repeatedly stating, "He said...he hit him...with a hammer".
He won. Period.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Just got around to watching that trailer.

I'll echo this:
MonkeyFinger wrote:Looks... awesome. 8-)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Warning: it is more of a character piece than it is an action film. That being said, it does have some great "pissed off Henry Rollins will mess you up" scenes.

Come for the action, stay for Jack.

Side note: He Never Died reminds me a great deal of another small budget film with similar themes from the mid nineties called Blood and Donuts. Anyone else ever see that one? I remember really liking it and watching it like 3 times over the course of a year.
He won. Period.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Just finished watching this on Netflix. A great movie. Rollins is awesome! :pop:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So they made a sequel to this called, surprisingly, She Never Died. I had no idea. Looks like it came out in 2019. You can rent on Vudu, Amazon, etc..

It’s actually quite good. Again, not a deep story, but the lead actress is fantastic. She’s almost Rollins level of good in the role of an immortal who really would rather just be left alone. Although she’s not a practicing vegan like Rollin’s Jack.

Also, the main villain Terrance is hysterical. The actor is really good.

He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I forgot about this,but the original is still on Netflix - sweet! Love the name: Alternate Endings Studio.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you’ve never seen it, He Never Died is well worth a watch. It’s a gem of an indie film.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:09 pm If you’ve never seen it, He Never Died is well worth a watch. It’s a gem of an indie film.
Just put it on my list, thanks for the tip. It's gonna be a hard sell to Wife, though. :D
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I just bought a copy from Amazon.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949