[HBO] Sesame Street

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

AWS260

[HBO] Sesame Street

Post by AWS260 »

Looks like gentrification has reached Sesame Street.
The New York Times wrote:Like many an urban brownstone owner, “Sesame Street” has come into some cash, and it’s undertaken a lovely renovation.

The new block is so clean you could eat off the pavement. In the restyled opening titles, Elmo, the baby-talking red Muppet, blows soap bubbles that burst juicily in slow motion. Abby Cadabby, the fairy, sends glitter shimmering at the camera. Cookie Monster chomps down on a treat at a sidewalk cafe table outside Hooper’s Store. You could imagine someone ordering the $20 prix fixe brunch around the corner.
Isgrimnur

Re: [HBO] Sesame Street

Post by Isgrimnur »

Firings
But now nebulous forces are swirling around the iconic street - where the air, goes the theme song, is sweet - with the revelation that three of the street's best loved humans, Bob, Gordon and Luis.
The official announcement of the departure was made on Twitter, the production company insisting that the three remained a "beloved part of of the Sesame family" and would continue to make public appearances.The cast was constantly evolving and it retained sole creative control, not HBO.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's HBO, so the first episode ends with Big Bird furtively slipping around behind Mr. Hooper's Store to shoot up.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote:It's HBO, so the first episode ends with Big Bird furtively slipping around behind Mr. Hooper's Store to shoot up.
While Oscar teaches the kids f-bombs.
Last edited by Jeff V on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hooper's store burns, with a naked Maria emerging from the flames. "Where are my Muppets?!"
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote:Firings
But now nebulous forces are swirling around the iconic street - where the air, goes the theme song, is sweet - with the revelation that three of the street's best loved humans, Bob, Gordon and Luis.
The official announcement of the departure was made on Twitter, the production company insisting that the three remained a "beloved part of of the Sesame family" and would continue to make public appearances.The cast was constantly evolving and it retained sole creative control, not HBO.
While at the gym I noticed that apparently Fox News is making a big deal of these firings being "age discrimination". I expected that to be part of the above story but it doesn't look like it is there.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

[HBO] Sesame Street

Post by Zarathud »

I'm certain age was a factor in the "creative" decision to start anew for the HBO market. But they've had a good run and PBS wants to avoid backlash. I'm sure there will be a continuing role. Just not as a regular on the show, but with PR.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

They could have offed the humans as part of a power play between Big Bird, those "Nope!" aliens and The Count. Ah! Ah! Ah!

As old as most of us are we know Elmo was the death knell of the series. Well that and Frank Oz clinging to his unnatural life.
There is no hug button. Sad!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I get updating and rebranding it. The child in me, though, is sad.

Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans are dead. Jim Henson is dead. Mr. Rogers is dead. It gave me a certain satisfaction knowing that these guys were still around. Now Gordon, Bob, and Luis are no longer people in your neighborhood, and a final vestige of my childhood has faded away.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and Fat Albert. Fat Albert went to a bad, bad place.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Caroll Spinney to retire
The friendly, bearded face of Caroll Spinney may not be one you recognize immediately. But if you have watched TV at any point in the past 50 years or so, you are almost certainly familiar with his work. Since 1969, he has played the parts of the gentle, inquisitive Big Bird and the lovably disgruntled Oscar the Grouch on “Sesame Street,” the long-running children’s program.

This Thursday, as he so often has, Spinney, 84, plans to travel to the studios in Astoria, Queens, where “Sesame Street” is produced, and record some voices for his colorful alter egos.

Then he will retire from the program: His roles will be passed on to new performers and his remarkable half-century run, in which he has embodied two of the most beloved characters on television, will come to an end.

Caroll Spinney, 1969.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I thought he'd already retired long ago. Don't know if it's still there, but there was a really great documentary about him on Netflix a few years ago called I Am Big Bird. It was fascinating. Big Bird's shoes are definitely going to be hard to fill.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
DD*

Post by DD* »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:59 pm I get updating and rebranding it. The child in me, though, is sad.

Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans are dead. Jim Henson is dead. Mr. Rogers is dead. It gave me a certain satisfaction knowing that these guys were still around. Now Gordon, Bob, and Luis are no longer people in your neighborhood, and a final vestige of my childhood has faded away.
Very well said. Thank you.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg