Happy Martin Luther King Day

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jaymann

Happy Martin Luther King Day

Post by Jaymann »

Doesn't the graphic on Google make him look like a soul singer?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Re: Happy Martin Luther King Day

Post by tgb »

Jaymann wrote:Doesn't the graphic on Google make him look like a soul singer?
You mean it isn't Johnny Otis' birthday?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

How many people here have today off? It's been pretty dead here today and I still have an hour of work to kill.
Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I have today off. I was surprised when the trash pickup came around because I incorrectly assumed most places had today off. I had to rush them to the end of the driveway.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

I played golf, just as I assume MLK would have wanted.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

What is this "day off" concept? My website decided to take one of those today so I had to put in some frantic hours figuring out why. Finally got everything settled down and caught up half an hour ago.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Was watching the news this morning and they mentioned how could anyone forget his famous "I have a dream" speech and showed a 10 second clip.

Of course, since the King family has copyrighted the speech, nobody can really hear it in it's entirety, so only scholars and people in their 60's can actually remember it.

Boo!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote:Was watching the news this morning and they mentioned how could anyone forget his famous "I have a dream" speech and showed a 10 second clip.

Of course, since the King family has copyrighted the speech, nobody can really hear it in it's entirety, so only scholars and people in their 60's can actually remember it.

Boo!
They don't seem to be vigorously guarding that copyright from non-profit use, though. Accessing the full speech online (text, audio, or video) is the work of about five seconds.

I've also seen it reproduced in textbooks many times. I've never known it to be hard to find.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Pyperkub wrote:Was watching the news this morning and they mentioned how could anyone forget his famous "I have a dream" speech and showed a 10 second clip.

Boo!
Well, them and people that know how to use youtube...
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

this is the first job i've had in years where i get this day off (last one was when i worked for the government). and what do i do? sleep until 2pm...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Working for a financial institution has its perks. Not all get today off, but mine does.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jeez, I didn't realize he was only 39. Most 39 year olds today are eating Cheetos and watching flat earth videos.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This one cracks me up:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:05 pm Was watching the news this morning and they mentioned how could anyone forget his famous "I have a dream" speech and showed a 10 second clip.

Boo!
It was distributed to all school children on Friday, so we sat and watched it together, since it was school at home.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

my page-a-day calendar wrote: Monday • January 18
Martin Luther King Jr. Day (USA)
You cannot legally watch or listen to Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech for free. The only way to see it in its entirety without breaking the law is to buy a copy, because the copyright is owned and licensed by EMI Publishing and the King family.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Holman

Post by Holman »

(At the risk of R&P...)

The worst thing today is watching people who worked to invalidate mostly black votes fall all over themselves to find anodyne MLK Jr. quotes.

When King died, he was one of the most hated men in America. This wasn't because he made Americans feel good about themselves and their country's progress.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

We watched Selma as a family today. I was glad to see that my 10-year-old stayed engaged the whole time.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Just to be pedantic, the speech was copyrighted when he wrote it down and then spoke it. The family then apparently filed the copywrite with the Copyright office and then licensed it to EMI. Depends on what the license says about further distribution.
Black Lives Matter
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I highly recommend watching the MLK/FBI documentary that was made available on VOD as of January 15. It's a serious eye-opener as to the full extent of the FBI's obnoxious surveillance and harassment of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Here's the trailer:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

This book got a rave review from the NYT and I plan on reading it

Nine Days: The Race to Save Martin Luther King Jr.'s Life and Win the 1960 Election.

Parting the Waters is really good, I read the entire series, although the 1st book is probably the best.
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Oh man, Parting the Waters is so good. I have all three volumes on the bookshelf behind me right now. I'll have to check out Nine Days.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:05 pm Was watching the news this morning and they mentioned how could anyone forget his famous "I have a dream" speech and showed a 10 second clip.

Boo!
But I've Been to the Mountaintop easily available (and one of the best orations ever, IMO).

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT