[movie] Wonder Woman ...coming 2017

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Holman

Re: [movie] Wonder Woman ...coming 2017

Post by Holman »

But they could have blown Marvel out of the water by making the ending more interesting. They came so close!

What an opportunity to waste.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, that ending is really a shame. Even taking it for what it is, it's just not done well.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Zaxxon wrote:Yeah, that ending is really a shame. Even taking it for what it is, it's just not done well.
Agree. The high point of the movie for me was the whole sequence around the village.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
stessier

Post by stessier »

Just for a counterpoint for anyone just skimming the thread, I really enjoyed the ending. I thought the voice-over right before the credits was unnecessary, but I loved the boss battle. Wonder Woman was all grown up and it was great.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Zaxxon wrote:Yeah, that ending is really a shame. Even taking it for what it is, it's just not done well.
The problem with that is that when it comes to superhero movies there is a basic formula that puts butts in seats and in order to have the kind of success they really needed from this movie, they had to cater to the lower common denominator. That is why I dont mark them down for the ending. They took some chances in the middle of the movie and pushed a dark and interesting message about consequence and cost. The ending was the price we paid for the earlier parts of the movie.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

rshetts2 wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Even taking it for what it is, it's just not done well.
The problem with that is that when it comes to superhero movies there is a basic formula that puts butts in seats and in order to have the kind of success they really needed from this movie, they had to cater to the lower common denominator. That is why I dont mark them down for the ending. They took some chances in the middle of the movie and pushed a dark and interesting message about consequence and cost. The ending was the price we paid for the earlier parts of the movie.
Even assuming I agreed with you, you addressed the first half of my statement--not the second. Assume that they had to have a big, CGI-filled face-off. They could have chosen to have an entertaining battle, with good CGI.

Instead, we got what we got.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Didn't love the ending, but it was not so bad as to ruin the movie for me. Saw this with my 7th grade daughter on Saturday, and we really liked it!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kurth wrote:Didn't love the ending, but it was not so bad as to ruin the movie for me. Saw this with my 7th grade daughter on Saturday, and we really liked it!
And just so my ending-bitchfest doesn't taint my earlier posts: I loved the movie. Just wish the ending hadn't functioned to bring the film down a notch.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zaxxon wrote:
Kurth wrote:Didn't love the ending, but it was not so bad as to ruin the movie for me. Saw this with my 7th grade daughter on Saturday, and we really liked it!
And just so my ending-bitchfest doesn't taint my earlier posts: I loved the movie. Just wish the ending hadn't functioned to bring the film down a notch.
Don't disagree with that at all.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Saw it last Tuesday with family, and we all loved it. I agree that the ending could have been much better. The big battle at the end is such a big contrast to the rest of the movie. Almost feels like it was designed before the rest of the movie was written.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

stessier wrote:Just for a counterpoint for anyone just skimming the thread, I really enjoyed the ending. I thought the voice-over right before the credits was unnecessary, but I loved the boss battle. Wonder Woman was all grown up and it was great.
Same here, I really liked the ending. To me it showed she had come full circle and was now at the peak of her powers and had become the "Godkiller".
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

On a side note, Gadot got only $300,000 each for BvsS, JL, and WW. But I suspect she'll get a 7 to 8 figure amount for WW2, and totally deserves it!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I am absolutely certain she has residuals coming, as one would expect for a no-name starring in her first successful blockbuster.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Zaxxon wrote:
rshetts2 wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Even taking it for what it is, it's just not done well.
Even assuming I agreed with you, you addressed the first half of my statement--not the second. Assume that they had to have a big, CGI-filled face-off. They could have chosen to have an entertaining battle, with good CGI.

Instead, we got what we got.
The level of badness at the end is a matter of personal point of view and opinion. While I did not think the ending lived up the the quality of the earlier 2/3rds of the movie, I didn't think it was near as bad as you did. Since its pointless to argue opinion, I didn't feel that was worth bringing up.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Given the consistency of this complaint in reviews, I'm comfortable calling it objective.

But I get that you may disagree.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

Finally saw it this weekend. I am SO happy that we a have a DC hero movie I enjoyed so much. I didn't think as poorly of the ending as most. I thought the discussion between Ares and WW was necessary.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote:
stessier wrote:Just for a counterpoint for anyone just skimming the thread, I really enjoyed the ending. I thought the voice-over right before the credits was unnecessary, but I loved the boss battle. Wonder Woman was all grown up and it was great.
Same here, I really liked the ending. To me it showed she had come full circle and was now at the peak of her powers and had become the "Godkiller".
Yeah, me too. Felt right in terms of Wonder Woman coming into her god powers and whatnot, and suitably epic.

Also, establishing her as essentially a full Greek god made me feel better about the earlier parts of the movie that bothered me a bit - mainly her charging across a WW1 battlefield by herself and coming out unscathed. At that point (when I was thinking of her mainly as a badass Amazon) that bugged me a bit, because crazy reflexes or whatnot, you charge by yourself across no man's land into a machine gun nest, you die, that's how it works. But if she's a god...well, ok then.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

One other nitpicky question (sorry if this has already been discussed in this thread), but from the movie it sure looks like the shield that Zeus put over Thermyscira (sp?) just makes it invisible (and shields it from Ares's detection), but doesn't stop anyone who happens to sail through the area from entering it.

If so...how is it possible that no ship (or low flying plane) had stumbled across it by accident over thousands of years? Or have the amazons been killing *everyone* who came through before?
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would assume that Zeus also created a giant tarp with an enlarged photo of just water and draped it over the island. You know, like when the road runner paints a fake tunnel on the side of a mountain and the coyote runs right into it. Man, that gets me every time. Stupid coyote.
He won. Period.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

El Guapo wrote:One other nitpicky question (sorry if this has already been discussed in this thread), but from the movie it sure looks like the shield that Zeus put over Thermyscira (sp?) just makes it invisible (and shields it from Ares's detection), but doesn't stop anyone who happens to sail through the area from entering it.

If so...how is it possible that no ship (or low flying plane) had stumbled across it by accident over thousands of years? Or have the amazons been killing *everyone* who came through before?
I think in addition to make the island invisible, the shield also generate storm cover. That means most ships that stumble into the area will try to flee instead of going through the storm. The same for low flying airplane. They're more likely to try to avoid than trying to get into the storm.

Steve Trevor got over the shield because he got shot down by German soldiers. And those soldiers reached the island because they were chasing Trevor.
Last edited by Victoria Raverna on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

And since the type of ships the Germans were sailing was relatively new, it's not hard to imagine ships from prior centuries getting pretty beat up in that storm.

My bigger questions are 1) how did the Germans catch up to a guy in a plane and a sizable lead and 2) where the hell was he trying to fly to? I can't imagine WW1 planes had great range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
My bigger questions are 1) how did the Germans catch up to a guy in a plane and a sizable lead and 2) where the hell was he trying to fly to? I can't imagine WW1 planes had great range.
I was about to agree with you, but after doing a quick check on typical flight ranges of WWII aircraft, I was surprised to find that many of them could travel well over a thousand miles. I had no idea they had that much range.
He won. Period.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Yes, but this was WW1. ;-)
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: Whoops!

I'm so used to Wonder Woman being a WWII origin story, I guess. Wasn't that the usual introduction of Steve Trevor and her leaving the island?
He won. Period.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote::lol: Whoops!

I'm so used to Wonder Woman being a WWII origin story, I guess. Wasn't that the usual introduction of Steve Trevor and her leaving the island?
Correct.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Because now I'm obsessed, a little digging shows that WW1 planes could travel as far as 500 miles, depending on the model. So still not too shabby. Although if Themyscira is less than 500 miles off the coast of a country, I would probably not trust that country's navy with anything terribly important.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Victoria Raverna wrote:
El Guapo wrote:One other nitpicky question (sorry if this has already been discussed in this thread), but from the movie it sure looks like the shield that Zeus put over Thermyscira (sp?) just makes it invisible (and shields it from Ares's detection), but doesn't stop anyone who happens to sail through the area from entering it.

I think in addition to make the island invisible, the shield also generate storm cover. That means most ships that stumble into the area will try to flee instead of going through the storm. The same for low flying airplane. They're more likely to try to avoid than trying to get into the storm.

Steve Trevor got over the shield because he got shot down by German soldiers. And those soldiers reached the island because they were chasing Trevor.
The storm didn't seem that bad in the movie. Mainly the Germans were complaining about the sudden fog.

It just seems super unlikely that no one ever stumbled across the island for thousands of years, especially once you had modern ships sailing all around the Mediterranean.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote:Because now I'm obsessed, a little digging shows that WW1 planes could travel as far as 500 miles, depending on the model. So still not too shabby. Although if Themyscira is less than 500 miles off the coast of a country, I would probably not trust that country's navy with anything terribly important.
FWIW I'm assuming that Thermiscyra is in the Aegean, on account of the whole Greek myth angle, and since Steve Trevor was flying from somewhere in the Ottoman Empire.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if it's right next to Skull Island?
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

A review I saw mentioned that the movie felt a bit like the 80`s Superman movies coupled with Captain America, and I feel that`s a pretty accurate assessment. Though not quite as campy, you definitely can see the Reeves superman movies as influences due to its playful nature, the heart, and the accessability much the same way those movies were. It`s much more approachable for the average viewer. My Mom saw this movie with us, and she almost never gives any interest in superhero movies and she loved it. This movie is transcendent in ways few superhero movies are.

As for the dome, my first thought went to the Bermuda triangle, but the location doesn`t quite jive.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also kind of amused how Diana's mother doesn't tell her that she is the godkiller because somehow that would help Ares locate her, but then Ares finds her literally within a day of her entering the world of man anyway.

Crushed it.
Black Lives Matter.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

El Guapo wrote:Also kind of amused how Diana's mother doesn't tell her that she is the godkiller because somehow that would help Ares locate her, but then Ares finds her literally within a day of her entering the world of man anyway.
Well, that part actually makes sense - tell Diana she's a god-killer, and she'll be off the island the next day looking for Ares herself, to proactively fulfill her destiny (instead of sit on the island and wait for Ares to return).
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

El Guapo wrote:It just seems super unlikely that no one ever stumbled across the island for thousands of years, especially once you had modern ships sailing all around the Mediterranean.
Would you peg it as more or less unlikely than the existence of an island of Amazonian warriors guarding a clay-made godkilling girl?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gilraen wrote:
El Guapo wrote:Also kind of amused how Diana's mother doesn't tell her that she is the godkiller because somehow that would help Ares locate her, but then Ares finds her literally within a day of her entering the world of man anyway.
Well, that part actually makes sense - tell Diana she's a god-killer, and she'll be off the island the next day looking for Ares herself, to proactively fulfill her destiny (instead of sit on the island and wait for Ares to return).
Right, but that doesn't explain why the mother doesn't tell her when they are talking on the beach about Diana's immediate plans to leave the island in order to look for Ares herself in order to proactively fulfill her destiny.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zaxxon wrote:
El Guapo wrote:It just seems super unlikely that no one ever stumbled across the island for thousands of years, especially once you had modern ships sailing all around the Mediterranean.
Would you peg it as more or less unlikely than the existence of an island of Amazonian warriors guarding a clay-made godkilling girl?
More unlikely.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Then I can't help you. :horse:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would've loved a scene featuring all the Amazonians standing on a beach watching a Carnivale Cruise go by, blissfully unaware of the island's existence.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It would be easy to explain how the island remained hidden, but it gets into the realm conjecture which could go on forever. Perhaps the island is far from any shipping lane. It's been less than a century since steam ships showed up - perhaps the storm blows away from the island in every direction, making sending wind-driven ships there difficult. Perhaps Zeus is still alive and decided it was time to give them a nudge, letting down the defenses a bit.

Or we could just remind ourselves that a god put the shield there and say 'a wizard did it.'
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Blackhawk wrote:It would be easy to explain how the island remained hidden, but it gets into the realm conjecture which could go on forever. Perhaps the island is far from any shipping lane. It's been less than a century since steam ships showed up - perhaps the storm blows away from the island in every direction, making sending wind-driven ships there difficult. Perhaps Zeus is still alive and decided it was time to give them a nudge, letting down the defenses a bit.

Or we could just remind ourselves that a god put the shield there and say 'a wizard did it.'
My personal explanation is that the shield is getting weaker as Ares is getting stronger (and so couldn't be pierced before, but can now).

Also - why was there a polar bear on the island??
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A wizard did it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)