[movie] Wonder Woman ...coming 2017

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: [movie] Wonder Woman ...coming 2017

Post by stessier »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:And since the type of ships the Germans were sailing was relatively new, it's not hard to imagine ships from prior centuries getting pretty beat up in that storm.

My bigger questions are 1) how did the Germans catch up to a guy in a plane and a sizable lead
Radio? It never said it was the same Germans from the base, did it?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

El Guapo wrote:It just seems super unlikely that no one ever stumbled across the island for thousands of years, especially once you had modern ships sailing all around the Mediterranean.
Since the island is shielded or shrouded from being seen, you'd literally have to run into it as the Germans did to find it, and the ocean is pretty big. Pre-radar, pre-airplane days, probably not so easy.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Blackhawk wrote:A wizard did it.
Hodor.
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

El Guapo wrote:One other nitpicky question (sorry if this has already been discussed in this thread), but from the movie it sure looks like the shield that Zeus put over Thermyscira (sp?) just makes it invisible (and shields it from Ares's detection), but doesn't stop anyone who happens to sail through the area from entering it.

If so...how is it possible that no ship (or low flying plane) had stumbled across it by accident over thousands of years? Or have the amazons been killing *everyone* who came through before?
Prophecy... timing.... coming of age... MAGIC! It has it's own logic.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Grifman wrote:
El Guapo wrote:It just seems super unlikely that no one ever stumbled across the island for thousands of years, especially once you had modern ships sailing all around the Mediterranean.
Since the island is shielded or shrouded from being seen, you'd literally have to run into it as the Germans did to find it, and the ocean is pretty big. Pre-radar, pre-airplane days, probably not so easy.
Right, in any one particular journey, super unlikely. But with the millions of journeys over thousands of years, pretty much inevitable.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was about to start in on a counter argument, but then I remembered this is a movie about a god carved from clay living on an island of immortal beings.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

IE, wizard. :P
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also I don't understand how the battery on that handheld camera lasted for the whole movie.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

El Guapo wrote:
Victoria Raverna wrote:Steve Trevor got over the shield because he got shot down by German soldiers. And those soldiers reached the island because they were chasing Trevor.
The storm didn't seem that bad in the movie. Mainly the Germans were complaining about the sudden fog.
The Germans thought it was a very heavy fog - a fog so thick that they were leading the way using rowboats for a larger ship. That larger ship was even shown capsized just through the barrier.

I think the shield was created to both make the island invisible and generate a heavy, impenetrable fog around the island - which proved to itself be treacherous. It's not hard to imagine sailors just going around a mess like that and not bothering with it, and the few that braved it were hopelessly wrecked and never escaped. Zeus just didn't anticipate an airplane going through and over the mess, and pursuers being determined enough to push in after him.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Paingod wrote: Zeus just didn't anticipate an airplane going through and over the mess,
What an idiot.
Black Lives Matter.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Zeus: Ares is putting all of mankind in peril and the Godkiller sits unaware. The Amazons choose to isolate themselves behind their shield.

Athena: If Themyscira will not allow the Godkiller to go to war, then the war must come to Themyscira.

Zeus: Then so it shall be.

problem solved
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

rshetts2 wrote:Zeus: Ares is putting all of mankind in peril and the Godkiller sits unaware. The Amazons choose to isolate themselves behind their shield.

Athena: If Themyscira will not allow the Godkiller to go to war, then the war must come to Themyscira.

Zeus: Then so it shall be.

problem solved
They're both dead at this point in the story, though.
Black Lives Matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

El Guapo wrote:Right, in any one particular journey, super unlikely. But with the millions of journeys over thousands of years, pretty much inevitable.
Not really. Ships followed trade routes, tides and winds. In the age of sail, they just didn't travel willy nilly. If the island was off the trade routes, there's no reason for it to be discovered. And again, the odds of literally hitting a specific needle in a haystack in the middle of the ocean when you can't see it until you are upon it are pretty small.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If only Gilligan, the Skipper, Mary Ann, the Howells, the Professor and Ginger had walked to the other side of the damn island...
He won. Period.
DD*

Post by DD* »

I'm with rshetts2, though with one small twist. Zeus hid the Amazons - maybe the magic that was used to hide them had a "disable" feature for when Ares returned:

"The island will be hidden unless/until Ares shows up"

Boom! Magical fogbank.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

DD* wrote:I'm with rshetts2, though with one small twist. Zeus hid the Amazons - maybe the magic that was used to hide them had a "disable" feature for when Ares returned:

"The island will be hidden unless/until Ares shows up"

Boom! Magical fogbank.
:lol:

"I will put a magic spell on the island to keep you hidden from Ares as long as Ares doesn't show up!"

Reminds me of the character in Mystery Men whose superpower was the ability to turn invisible as long as he was naked and there was no one else in the room and there were no mirrors around.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote:It's not hard to imagine sailors just going around a mess like that and not bothering with it, and the few that braved it were hopelessly wrecked and never escaped.
Death by snu-snu?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

hepcat wrote:I would've loved a scene featuring all the Amazonians standing on a beach watching a Carnivale Cruise go by, blissfully unaware of the island's existence.
That would actually make for a pretty awesome commercial for the cruise line. Then have the tagline be "Expect the Unexpected." :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I finally saw this, I liked it a whole lot. It'e easily the best non The Dark Knight Warner/DC movie so far. The movie has tons going for it but my favorite things are:
Diana suffers losses in this movie and I feel it. Even Marvel hasn't really been able to do that very well, neither did Nolan with his Batman movies. Captain America I think got closest, with the ending of the first movie where Rogers realizes what he lost.
Gal Gadot completely owns the role, she's far better than I imagined possible. Warner/DC hit the jackpot with her and they're fools if they can't capitalize on this. Her bit in Batman vs Superman was very promising but wow!
The movie is great looking. The art design of it is top notch. Again and again there were moments that I thought would make good paintings. It's clearly inspired work, made by a director who has something to say about this material. Imagine if Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman were made like this, it would have been mindblowing.
The sequence where she steps out into the no man's land(hehe) was my favorite superhero sequence so far. It was so elegantly done, how she goes from a cloaked mystery woman to Wonder Woman right before your eyes, nothing flashy, just straight to business.
I appreciated the sense of humor too. Grim and dark is no way to go through life, not all the time.

The movie is long but I didn't feel it. I was engaged the entire time, and I don't even like origin stories. This was one was interesting though. Lots of stuff, like the godkiller thing, paid off when in lesser movies those are the sorts of things that get forgotten or just sort of fizzle out at the end.

About the island not being shielded, I see no issue with it. I definitely got the vibe that anyone who accidentally goes there never gets to leave, that this guy was an exception, in fact the only exception. There is nothing graphic shown, but the clear implication is they hold themselves to a different set of rules and protecting the island is number one. What we humans may see as 'wrong' is not applicable to them. The other thing is the fog would usually discourage anyone from even getting close, this was a special one time 'chasing after something of vital importance' event where turning back wasn't an option.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Finally got a babysitter so we could go see this on Saturday night. The theater was close to full, so hopefully Wonder Woman will continue to do well.

I was so, so impressed by how well the movie handled the relationship between Diana and Steve. Their attraction felt organic and true, and unlike most superhero movies wasn't based on a few quippy lines. Fantastic performances by both actors.

The showing was preceded by a trailer for the upcoming Justice League movie. It looks terrible.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You're not a fan of rad, surfboard riding Aquaman who yells "GNARLY!" during battles?

Seriously, just hand the damn franchise over to Patty Jenkins since you won't give it to Bruce Timm. She's already shown in one film what Snyder has failed to grasp in multiple tries.
He won. Period.
raydude

Post by raydude »

hepcat wrote:You're not a fan of rad, surfboard riding Aquaman who yells "GNARLY!" during battles?

Seriously, just hand the damn franchise over to Patty Jenkins since you won't give it to Bruce Timm. She's already shown in one film what Snyder has failed to grasp in multiple tries.
My theory is that ever since Synder did The Watchmen that he's been envisioning himself as the Alan Moore of superhero films. The problem is that he's no Alan Moore.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote:Seriously, just hand the damn franchise over to Patty Jenkins since you won't give it to Bruce Timm. She's already shown in one film what Snyder has failed to grasp in multiple tries.
I liked that the movie wasn't just heroic action shot at night with extras that have the personality of cardboard cutouts. The heroes weren't the only ones that mattered. Every character that had a speaking part had some kind of exposed story, and even the background extras had personality.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

raydude wrote:My theory is that ever since Synder did The Watchmen that he's been envisioning himself as the Alan Moore of superhero films. The problem is that he's no Alan Moore.
"Zack Snyder's Lost Girls"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He's more like the Dudley Moore of the DC live action universe. Too bad they're not making another Arthur film.
He won. Period.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

AWS260 wrote: I was so, so impressed by how well the movie handled the relationship between Diana and Steve. Their attraction felt organic and true, and unlike most superhero movies wasn't based on a few quippy lines. Fantastic performances by both actors.

Yeah, that's why I liked it so much. So much more than just a Superhero movie. It had a lot more going for it than most. Fantastic chemistry by both, and in fact, I think Pine was more Kirk-like here in this movie than he was in the Trek movies.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

What I thought was good about his character is he was heroic and played straight, while not detracting from her role as the lead. I've noticed one problem a lot of action movies with a female lead have is they don't seem to know what to do with the male characters. Either they make them dumb, only good for comic relief or cannon fodder, or they make them too prominent to the detriment of the lead character. He, and all their group actually, had a good role to play while complimenting her role as lead.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Although Pine's character was believable and worked well, his presence also forced Wonder Woman into having the Ares battle. Otherwise it wouldn't have been HER story.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Not sure I follow what you're getting at. The way I understood it, she was having that battle someday no matter what, it was fated. His circumstances triggered it sooner maybe, that's about it.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Quite a few people weren't happy with the "generic" superhero fight of Diana vs. Ares (including this thread), suggesting that it could have ended with the the village. That would make it a commentary on war and humanity in World War I.

But World War I was Pine's character's Story. The Battle with Ares was Diana's Story. Diana was willing to help to get to her destiny with Ares. The movie had to end with the Battle Against Areas or the movie "Wonder Woman" wouldn't have been about her.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
JCC

Post by JCC »

No one complains about the fact that the movie ended with WW fighting with Ares. They complain that the fight sucked and was the worst part of the movie.

I also didn't like the gap between leaving the island and the (AWESOME) trench to trench scene. It was a bit slow even with the funny "My Fair Lady" dressup scene and the mugging scene.

Still, I thought Wonder Woman was awesome. I liked Batman vs Superman more than nearly anyone. (I wanted Batman to kick Superman's ass, and he DID! Also, I like Bat Fleck.) But, Wonder Woman (crappy ending battle aside) was by far and away the best DC movie. The aforementioned trench to trench to tower scene, was the greatest super hero action sequence EVER as far as I am concerned. The director and crew just nailed that.

My random thought.
Spoiler:
How awesome would it be if Chris Pine's character ended up being Ares?! THAT would have made for a much better "shocking" reveal.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW I thought the final fight with Ares was fine. I mean, I'm not sure what people wanted with that scene - it's Diana proto-god against Ares god of war. What else are they going to do other than CGI god powers?
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I disliked the CGI itself, but I was fine with the fight.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

El Guapo wrote:FWIW I thought the final fight with Ares was fine. I mean, I'm not sure what people wanted with that scene - it's Diana proto-god against Ares god of war. What else are they going to do other than CGI god powers?

Hire REAL Gods. I'm getting tired of the obvious discrimination against real Gods and the insistent by the powers that be in Hollywood to only hire mere mortals to portray them.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It may not be ideal, but the audience is 99% mortal.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ryan Reynolds is the best.
Wonder Woman passed Deadpool's box office today. Ryan Reynolds posted this photo. (Photo is image of Deadpool making a heart with his hands and a WW necklace centered in the heart)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Technically @DeadpoolMovie tweeted it, and Reynolds retweeted it. I was kinda hoping he'd had it made up himself.

Caption: "The Merc may be filthier, but her BO is stronger."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

El Guapo wrote:FWIW I thought the final fight with Ares was fine.
Well, other than leaving middle aged, pornstached David Thewlis' head on Dwayne Johnson's body. Every time his face was shown, I wondered why a high school shop teacher was fighting Wonder Woman.
He won. Period.