[SyFy] The Magicians

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Z-Corn

Re: [SyFy] The Magicians

Post by Z-Corn »

I haven't watched any episodes this season yet but TiVo has them all and I think I will choose to binge these before The Americans, which is the other binge series on-deck.

Very glad to hear it was renewed.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Started watching season 3 the other day. I think they realize that the power couple on the show are Elliot and Margo as they get a lot of screen time. They could ditch everyone else except those two and I’d keep watching. I’ve come to believe the actor who plays Elliot can make any sentence funny.
Covfefe!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We are watching it and enjoying it. I don't remember the books at this point, I read them so quickly and have read so many books since then, so I don't know if the show is still following the books.

I do like the subtle humor and the way the show can be serious but not take itself TOO seriously. About to watch this week's episode right now...
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The most recent episode was The Inner Light of this series. Emotionally moving and The Magicians is definitely one of the best TV shows I've had the pleasure to watch.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, watched the last episode last night. And while I still think Picard did it better, it was still damn emotional and really poignant.

P.S. they even used the term “timey wimey”. :lol:
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Yeah, watched the last episode last night. And while I still think Picard did it better, it was still damn emotional and really poignant.

P.S. they even used the term “timey wimey”. Image
Caught that reference. I so enjoy being a geek.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hale Appleman deserves an Emmy for this season. Just a fantastic performance all around.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:Hale Appleman deserves an Emmy for this season. Just a fantastic performance all around.
Preach it, brother! The show has such a talented cast but this season is definitely Appleman's Emmy season. If only the powers that be would even consider this show for recognition since it has been consistently excellent from the start.
Black lives matter!

Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

We've fallen a couple episodes behind but yeah, this is such a fun show and Appleman keeps getting better and better in the role.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

What I would like to see is Appleman become a break out star and go on to other roles. Roles that aren't given to him in order to add a token homosexual to the cast (which The Magicians is not guilty of, by the way...but a lot of other shows/movies are), but because he's a damn good actor.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Last I watched the show they were stuck in a dimension where they were king and queen. Did they ever get out of there?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kind of.
Covfefe!
disarm

Post by disarm »

I continue to be impressed by how fresh and interesting they keeps this show, despite branching off significantly from the books. The current storyline is great, and Appleman is doing a fantastic job. It is really is a shame that the show will probably never get the recognition it will deserves just because it's a quirky show on Syfy.

By the way...the scenes from last week's episode with Margot continually misnaming Codswall were awesome. I really like that Syfy has given in and allows them to use profanity because it's often hilarious
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I love the way they've reinvented the show for each season. The banter has been top notch throughout. This year's episode descriptions are next level trolling:
Brian takes a friend out for ice cream, while Sam is one week away from retirement.

Dean Fogg gets a new suit.

Kady gets a puppy. Quentin meets a snake.

Josh gives Margo some muffin.

Alice and Quentin confront a dog. There are some flashbacks.

Julia and Quentin play Pictionary. Margo drinks milk.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I powered down all 7 episodes of this season. Good news is that apparently I haven't missed a darn thing in the last one and a half seasons. This show is definitely about the journey and not the destination. I loved the "dead" guys reading the life stories - what a brilliant idea for painless exposition.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:37 am Last I watched the show they were stuck in a dimension where they were king and queen. Did they ever get out of there?
That's also where we left off. Maybe one day...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Yea,a musical episode! :violin: Followed by a new season of Happy!
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm two episodes behind for some reason. I need to catch up!
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The hedge witch actually has a pretty good voice.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:56 am The hedge witch actually has a pretty good voice.
You mean Kady? She's pretty good.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Jag wrote:
Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:56 am The hedge witch actually has a pretty good voice.
You mean Kady? She's pretty good.
They poke fun at how well she can sing with Margo calling her a show off when Kady starts singing.
Black lives matter!

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

What a great episode to end season 4. So glad they are coming back for another one.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Agreed...satisfying, emotional ending to really solid season. The show will be very different next season after such a bold move, but I have faith that they'll do something great.
wire

Post by wire »

I watched the first season and the first couple of second season episodes. I want to like it but something about having actors who look like they are in their mid to late 20's acting like insecure lovelorn teenagers kind of throws me off. I find the Quentin, Julia and Alice dynamic really annoying. Does this get better as the seasons progress?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'd think if you don't like the characters by the end of the first or second season, watching additional episodes isn't going to change that. They do play around quite a bit with dynamics (trying to avoid spoilers), but core elements of their characters persist.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

If I were leaving a show I would be fortunate to have the writers and cast of The Magicians sending me off. What a bittersweet yet uplifting way to end the season.
Black lives matter!

Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:18 pm If I were leaving a show I would be fortunate to have the writers and cast of The Magicians sending me off. What a bittersweet yet uplifting way to end the season.
His question to Penny was pretty epic. Minor mending indeed.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Did not expect that ending at all. Talk about diverging from the books.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just watched it. I didn’t realize that actor is actually gone from the show for good. At first I thought it was just another cliffhanger they’d explain away next season, but it seems that’s not the case. It certainly was a tearjerker. :cry:
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I saw him playing a late 60's hipster dude in Duchovny's detective show. I thought we would get:
Spoiler:
a Q 23.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hrothgar wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:30 pm
$iljanus wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:18 pm If I were leaving a show I would be fortunate to have the writers and cast of The Magicians sending me off. What a bittersweet yet uplifting way to end the season.
Spoiler:
"Did I do something brave to save my friends? Or did I finally find a way to kill myself?" If that's the one you're referring to, yeah...that was damn good writing.
Covfefe!
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

hepcat wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:01 am
Hrothgar wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:30 pm
Spoiler:
"Did I do something brave to save my friends? Or did I finally find a way to kill myself?" If that's the one you're referring to, yeah...that was damn good writing.
Yes, it brought the show full circle. Very satisfying character arc. And great writing.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:17 pm Just watched it. I didn’t realize that actor is actually gone from the show for good. At first I thought it was just another cliffhanger they’d explain away next season, but it seems that’s not the case. It certainly was a tearjerker. :cry:
Ditto on not knowing he was leaving... damn, I liked him and always felt the show was really about him.. even though I like the other actors.. will be interesting to see where they go from here.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Those bastards! The Magicians has been canceled. The writers had enough notice so the last episode won't end on a cliffhanger, but I'm not ready for it to go yet...
Black lives matter!

disarm

Post by disarm »

Well damn...that sucks
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I wonder if Jeff Bezos is a fan...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

News of the show’s end means that the NBCUniversal-owned cabler’s scripted roster has been whittled down to only a couple of returning series. However, Syfy is gearing up to premiere several new offerings in the near future, and recently ordered a pair of shows including one inspired by George A. Romero’s “Day of the Dead.”
Let’s cancel a unique and interesting tv show and replace it with the 97th zombie show on tv.

Jesus H Christ, enough with the goddamn zombies.
Covfefe!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

hepcat wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:34 pm
News of the show’s end means that the NBCUniversal-owned cabler’s scripted roster has been whittled down to only a couple of returning series. However, Syfy is gearing up to premiere several new offerings in the near future, and recently ordered a pair of shows including one inspired by George A. Romero’s “Day of the Dead.”
Let’s cancel a unique and interesting tv show and replace it with the 97th zombie show on tv.

Jesus H Christ, enough with the goddamn zombies.
As much of a fan of Zombies as I am, I'd definitely rather have The Magicians still running.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Jag

Post by Jag »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:37 pm I wonder if Jeff Bezos is a fan...
Apparently they already tried to shop it and no go. Bummed as well. Last few seasons have been good.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Well at least I get to watch season 5. Loved the time loop episode.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter