[TV] Lucifer

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Did anyone else catch this last night? I enjoyed the hell out of it. :D
-mf
Cylus Maxii

Re: [TV] Lucifer

Post by Cylus Maxii »

:twisted: Me too!
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Enough

Post by Enough »

We stumbled into it last night and decided to watch, it was indeed a hoot!
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Does it bear any resemblance to the comic book series that it's based on? Because I love those.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

The reviews Ive seen basically state dont look to the Sandman comic version of Lucifer for what they are doing here, you will be disappointed. Rather take it on its own terms and you'll have a fun time with it.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Fair enough. The comic book version is probably unfilmable, anyway, since the action quickly moves beyond Los Angeles to distant dimensions, Hell, alternate universes, etc.
Doomboy

Post by Doomboy »

I liked it, but I can't believe it will survive the inevitable christian backlash as soon as they figure out it is on. I mean, SATAN!!!!!!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I watched it on a lark...but ended up enjoying it. And that enjoyment can be almost entirely attributed to the actor playing Lucifer. The guy's hilarious. He makes even the most ridiculous lines fun (like the numerous times he gives his full name as "Lucifer Morningstar"...a line that should elicit nothing but eye rolls and groans from audiences).

I was a little annoyed that they included a drop dead gorgeous cop like every other series, but they redeemed themselves with her backstory...and Lucifer's sheer enjoyment after learning of it.

I'll stick with it. But I also doubt it will last long.
He won. Period.
Odin

Post by Odin »

hepcat wrote:I'll stick with it. But I also doubt it will last long.
Same. I liked it, but I'm not optimistic that it's going to last.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

"What's your name?"

"Lucifer Morningstar"

"Is that a stage name?"

"No, God given." <smirk>

:D
-mf
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Every time the scene shifted to mere mortals conversing with each other the show came to a halt to me but every scene with Lucifer was a hoot to watch.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Another show I'm really enjoying - the actor playing Lucifer was perfectly cast. I also didn't know Rachel Harris was going to be in it either, but she's also perfect for the role she plays (and quite attractive). Regardless, in looking online I have a bad feeling it's not going to survive to Season 2, at least based on the ratings reported here. At least we'll get another season of Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? and So You Think You Can Dance.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Odin

Post by Odin »

Yeah, this show is terrific. The main character is excellent and the little girl (Trixie) is actually GREAT. I don't think it's just because I'm a parent, but it seems like kids in TV/movies are far less cringe-worthy than they used to be, and often do a pretty good job nowadays. I can only hope that this show is relatively inexpensive to produce (seems like it should be) and that maybe that will let it get away with lower ratings? I dunno, but I'd like very much for it to stick around a while.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote:At least we'll get another season of Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? and So You Think You Can Dance.
:hawk:

I've been watching online and enjoying it quite more than I expected. Not a huge fan of his "going to therapy" but I suppose it plays an angle in the show and is a means for him to be told that he wants to explore his humanity more correctly than him wallowing in it and mocking it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

It has turned out to be better than I expected. It would be nice if it gets another season to run with the plot but I really dont know how sustainable the concept is over the long run. Seems like this would be best suited to a short run series with a definitive planned ending.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If it is cancelled, I really hope they give Tom Ellis another starring vehicle on TV. He reminds me a bit of a young Nathan Fillion when it comes to his delivery.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Hope they squeeze at least another season out of the show. I'm not tired of seeing the childlike glee Lucifer exhibits when someone needs punishing.
Last edited by $iljanus on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
sgoldj

Post by sgoldj »

I'm really enjoying it, but I can't figure out where it will go when the partner realizes that Lucifer is LUCIFER. So, I.m in for a definitive end and all that.

If they cannot get a second season, and are given some time, I'd love it to go all Dan Curtis and pull out all the stops. (I wish Constintine did)

By that I mean to reference Dark Shadows being saved from cancellation by getting weird.
mori

Post by mori »

I am a fan as well.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

sgoldj wrote:I'm really enjoying it, but I can't figure out where it will go when the partner realizes that Lucifer is LUCIFER.
The best part of the show is that he continually tells everyone he's Satan.

Also, kudos for having him perform Sinnerman. One of my favorites. And while I wasn't a big fan of his rendition, he certainly has some singing chops (if that was his voice, of course).
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

The novelty wore off for me after about 6 or 7 episodes. Now my Monday nights are free again.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Alefroth wrote:The novelty wore off for me after about 6 or 7 episodes. Now my Monday nights are free again.
But... but... Supergirl! And Gotham!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well...Gotham at least. I don't think Ale is a 12 year old girl.
He won. Period.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Odin wrote:
Alefroth wrote:The novelty wore off for me after about 6 or 7 episodes. Now my Monday nights are free again.
Lalalalalala. I don't want to get into something I have to be somewhere at a certain time because I'll invariably miss it. And I don't have one of them DVR things.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hepcat wrote:Well...Gotham at least. I don't think Ale is a 12 year old girl.
:coffee:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Alefroth wrote:
Odin wrote:
Lalalalalala. I don't want to get into something I have to be somewhere at a certain time because I'll invariably miss it. And I don't have one of them DVR things.
Just hire a guy to watch them for you and then come over and act out the shows you miss.
Alefroth wrote:
hepcat wrote:Well...Gotham at least. I don't think Ale is a 12 year old girl.
:coffee:
I stand corrected. Ale is a 12 year old girl...who drinks coffee.
He won. Period.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Alefroth wrote:
Odin wrote:
Ah, I see - you don't really want to watch TV. Fair enough. It's not for everybody.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Happy to learn this is getting second season. The finale set up a great story line, methinks.

I laughed out loud more than once during the last episode. Lucifer threatening to shoot a bobble head toy, telling Decker he wanted to fire a bazooka in an American accent...it really is just the Tom Ellis show. I'll say it again, the guy's hilarious.
He won. Period.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I'm in the same boat as Alefroth - I think. I don't want to get hooked on watching some show(s) every night. But - I am sort of hooked on Lucifer. I should never have watched this.
Hey Alefroth - don't watch "Lucifer" or you'll probably be as hooked on it as I am.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

:dance:
-mf
Odin

Post by Odin »

I love, love, love this show. It's so funny watching this take on the Devil.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I haven't watched the season finale yet, but I also really enjoyed this show. Tom Ellis nailed the role. I don't know if he's having as much fun as it looks, but they couldn't have cast a better person.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He has the uncanny ability to be both goofy and deadly serious in quick measure.
He won. Period.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

I was initially turned off by changing Lucifer from his comic version and instead turned him into a crime of the week show, but it really did hit it's stride towards the end and ended on a very nice cliffhanger of sort

A few minor quibbles

Chloe being some sort of half angel is predictable, but a turn off for me
Maz and Amenadiel relationship makes no sense. He knows what she looks like under the glamour and she's a demon. I get that Maz can't be a one dimensional character but that whole arc seems pointless in the long run
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Odin

Post by Odin »

tru1cy wrote:Chloe being some sort of half angel is predictable, but a turn off for me
Was that in the show or are you just speculating? I think I'd remember that sort of thing.
tru1cy

Post by tru1cy »

Odin wrote:
tru1cy wrote:Chloe being some sort of half angel is predictable, but a turn off for me
Was that in the show or are you just speculating? I think I'd remember that sort of thing.
Speculation, he's vulnerable to his brother and he can't charm her. There's something special about her and I'm guessing she's half angel or something like that.
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

There's a lot of weak points in the show. The back stories are convoluted and nonsensical at times...a lot of times, the police procedural plots that back up almost every episode are boring and cliched, and people seem to take a whole lot of supernatural events in stride every episode.

But none of that matters when Ellis is doing his shtick. Or switching to bad ass mode (seriously, the Lucifer/Amen fight scene in the season finale was both cool AND funny at the same time).

As for the speculation on Chloe...I wonder (after this last episode) if
Spoiler:
she's unknowingly linked to "Mum"?
He won. Period.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Maz and Amenadiel relationship makes no sense. He knows what she looks like under the glamour and she's a demon. I get that Maz can't be a one dimensional character but that whole arc seems pointless in the long run
Im guessing that the more time these immortals spend living as humans, the more human they become.
Amenadiel may have been an angel but hes clearly no angel now. He has to blurred the line between divinity and humanity. Its hard to say where they go with that whole thing but it does open the door to some interesting sub plots. Also keep in mind that its become clear that the popular religious definitions of Angel and Demon dont really apply to the "real" thing as far as this show goes, so defining Maze and Amenadiel's relationship by those standards is probably wrong.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Maybe I'll catch up since this is looking to be a made-for-TV weekend. I find it amusing, but very much "check your brain at the door."
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For season 2 I think I'll invent a drinking game that calls for the viewer to take a swig every time Ellis says "Ooh, detective.".
He won. Period.