Fast Food Foofaraw

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

Re: Burger King

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:09 pm You can always look at it another way. That $6 chicken sandwich you buy might be going to a corporation whose policies you don't agree with. It also pays the bills for some working single parent or kid putting himself through college who has nothing to do with those policies. Where do you draw the line?

It's too much trouble. Plus their Polynesian sauce is really damn good.
You should reflect more. It's no trouble at all.

The owner is a horrible person.
The employees can work at another place (seriously), and I'd care more about them if they found working for him to be off their list.

and yeah, I don't think Burger King is guilty of this kind of stuff (to also stay on topic). :wink: :D
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Thank God for you folks! It's already hard enough to get a parking spot at Chick-fil-A as it is. :whistle:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

em2nought wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:22 am Thank God for you folks! It's already hard enough to get a parking spot at Chick-fil-A as it is. :whistle:
I lol'd.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

em2nought wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:22 am Thank God for you folks! It's already hard enough to get a parking spot at Chick-fil-A as it is. :whistle:
You expect us to believe you walk into the restaurant :mrgreen:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Alefroth wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:08 pm
You expect us to believe you walk into the restaurant :mrgreen:
I prefer the word "lumber", I lumber into fast food restaurants. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Unagi wrote:You should reflect more. It's no trouble at all.
I'm just a realist. That computer you're typing on? Has components made up of toxic materials that literally kill people who mine and recycle them. You going to give that up? Never buy anything again from Amazon? Give up that iPhone?

Everyone has the right to buy or not buy whatever they want, based on whatever reasons they want. I'm not arguing that. If you don't want to buy Chick-Fil-A, fine. My kids love it, and if they want it they'll get it. Doesn't make me a bad person.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That line of thinking can be used to justify almost anything.

I don't care where people eat, but rationalising is rationalising. 1 person/family has zero impact on the climate, for example.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:28 am
I lol'd.
Deplorables gotta eat too.
naednek

Post by naednek »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:53 am

1 person/family has zero impact on the climate, for example.

That's not a true statement. They do, just not as a big of an impact if 100's were doing it at the same time.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:03 am
Unagi wrote:You should reflect more. It's no trouble at all.
I'm just a realist. That computer you're typing on? Has components made up of toxic materials that literally kill people who mine and recycle them. You going to give that up? Never buy anything again from Amazon? Give up that iPhone?
I don't think they are comparable though... I get your point, but I'm not saying you need to do something on the level of giving up modern technology because it pollutes the earth/kills the people in the industry, I'm asking you not to enjoy a specifc product because the owner is a horrible person and shouldn't enjoy you as a customer. It's about a horrible person at the end... And ones sacrifice isn't giving up all technology, it's giving up their sauce.

I understand your point, and I wont press you further.
Last edited by Unagi on Sun May 05, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And I don't think it makes you a bad person.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

naednek wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:22 am
GreenGoo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:53 am

1 person/family has zero impact on the climate, for example.

That's not a true statement. They do, just not as a big of an impact if 100's were doing it at the same time.
It's absolutely true. 1 person pushing against a wall changes the wall not at all, even if they push as hard as they can.
The Meal

Re: Burger King (and the inevitable Chick-Fil-A discussion)

Post by The Meal »

"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I see no mention of sauce in your diagram!
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:04 am Deplorables gotta eat too.
Has this theory ever been thoroughly tested and peer-reviewed?
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:09 pm You can always look at it another way. That $6 chicken sandwich you buy might be going to a corporation whose policies you don't agree with. It also pays the bills for some working single parent or kid putting himself through college who has nothing to do with those policies. Where do you draw the line?
If chic-fil-a ceased to exist tomorrow, all those "Innocents" could still get jobs.

I mean hiring vulnerable people doesn't give an employer carte blanche to be evil. Not saying CFA is or isn't evil, just that if someone believes they are, who they employ shouldn't really matter.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unless those employees are enslaved by Chik-fil-A, then they made a conscious decision to work for a despicable company. If choosing to spend my rare fast-food dollars elsewhere puts them out of a job so be it. To paraphrase South Park, "We know you had a choice in fast-food companies to work for and you made the wrong one."

The employees working for the non-wretched company I do patronize will thank me.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Makes me want to go back and play the NOLF series so I can listen to the henchmen's conversations.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Also, kids are great. If I told my kids about the owner of CFA's position on gays (they are 9 and 12) - they would be the leaders of the boycott.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I don't think anyone (including me) is arguing that Chick-Fil-A donates to organizations that are morally reprehensible. I'm just acknowledging that I don't know the financial donations of every single corporation that makes every single product I use in my life. And I use, and will continue to use, products that I know are created by people in reprehensible working conditions. So singling out one business to boycott when I'm probably utilizing 50 others which are just as bad or worse (known and unknown), is a waste of my time.

What I think we can all agree on, however, is that Burger King sucks. :D
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

But CFA goes out of their way to wear their reprehensible stance on their sleeve. They go out of their way to make it clear that they will fund organizations whose mission is discrimination and hate.

That's a lot different than a clothing company who sources materials from a textile company who buys fabric from a vendor who purchases from a sweatshop in Malaysia.

But more importantly, Burger King does not suck.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It brings up an interesting question.

Chick-Fil-A (from their perspective) is doing "the Lord's work" because they're a Christian-based corporation. Doesn't make it objectively right, but in their eyes they are helping society, not hurting it.

The companies that buy materials from sweatshops in Malaysia know they are exploiting human beings, and just don't give a shit.

Who's more evil? The evil person who thinks they're doing good, or the evil person who knows they're doing bad?

I don't know the answer, I'm just saying it's all relative. And I'm not trying to defend Chick-Fil-A, just playing devil's advocate (literally!)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

How on earth does doing wrong because God told me to make things better than just doing wrong?

Absolving yourself of personal responsibility is inherently worse in my mind. At least "I was just following orders" has the threat of real disciplinary actions for not doing so. The "Bible says" might as well be "L. Ron Hubbard says" if you're going to start hurting people.

I don't care what you personally believe until you start using it to hurt other people, then I care very much.

We don't have chik-fil-a up here so this particular question is purely hypothetical to me.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Mon May 06, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No one is the villain of their own story.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The story of how the Burger King threads ended up in R&P.

Also Burger King is the worst of the big fast food chains... but only because I don't think Arby's even deserves a mention.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jack in the Box had to start cooking their burgers in butter to remain relevant. They're a good PR campaign for a sub-par chain.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

coopasonic wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:37 pm The story of how the Burger King threads ended up in R&P.

Also Burger King is the worst of the big fast food chains... but only because I don't think Arby's even deserves a mention.
Curly fries and jamocha milkshakes are the bomb. You obviously do not possess the necessary, refined palate that can appreciate such greatness. :hand:
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Every time I eat Macdonald's l look at what I'm eating and say to myself "this is terrible". I can only assume Pavlov conditioned me when I was young. BK is certainly not worse than McD.
stessier

Post by stessier »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:51 pm Every time I eat Macdonald's l look at what I'm eating and say to myself "this is terrible". I can only assume Pavlov conditioned me when I was young. BK is certainly not worse than McD.
Without a doubt, it is.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:58 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:51 pm Every time I eat Macdonald's l look at what I'm eating and say to myself "this is terrible". I can only assume Pavlov conditioned me when I was young. BK is certainly not worse than McD.
Without a doubt, it is.
We must have different definitions for "without".
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

In a perfect world, there would be a place called Burger McKing where they served BK charbroiled hamburgers and McDonald's fries.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't get the hate for BK fries. They're crisp on the outside and light on the inside, while all the McD fries I've ever had are essentially soggy dish towels cut into strips.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yes, but those dish towel strips are soaked in SUGAR!

Seriously though, the last time I had BK fries, they were texturally fine but lacked flavor of any sort. I don't know if they thought it was WW2 and were rationing salt or what.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

BK fries are flavor mediums, not flavor sources! That's why you get a dozen honey mustard packets (28 if you can reach behind the counter when they're not looking)!

Curly fries however serve as both flavor sources AND as a flavor carrying device (FCD for short).
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

YellowKing wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:09 pm In a perfect world, there would be a place called Burger McKing where they served BK charbroiled hamburgers and McDonald's fries.
I could get behind that.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Of the three, I would prefer Arby's fries... though just to keep it R&P, CFA's waffle fries would be a contender too. The problem with Arby's is... well... the RB. Their sandwiches just aren't good (note this opinion is two decades old). My fast food choice is Wendy's Asiago Ranch Chicken Sandwich "Spicy" - in quotes because it's a label not an apt description.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I said it before. I assume most large corporations are corrupt and evil. I just distinguish between greed and hate. Even more so between secret, subtle greed and hate worn as a badge of honor to influence others.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Fries everywhere depend on the oil and cooking time. I've started asking for fries well done everywhere and when they do it, the fries are much better and crispy. They don't always do it though since it requires people to manually tell someone and I think that confuses some employees.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

coopasonic wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:37 pm Also Burger King is the worst of the big fast food chains... but only because I don't think Arby's even deserves a mention.
There's a burger king 5 minutes from my workplace and I've yet to eat there. I find BK basically inedible. I get Arby's about once a month. I like their roast beef and appreciate that I can get a side salad instead of the curly fries. My 46 year old gut does not do well with CurlyFryGreaseBombs.

McDonald's fries are the best fast food fries. About once a month we'll drive through Carl's Jr for burgers then go next door to McDonald's for fries. It's very considerate of them to share a parking lot.

They're building a number of Chick Fil A's here in Portland. I ate there once while traveling to Atlanta and... it's chicken? I won't eat there again for the same reasons as others in this thread but I don't understand the fervor from those who do.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I abhor Wendy's because they put mayonnaise on nearly every sandwich. Mayonnaise should be a request, NEVER a default. What kind of godless world do they think we live in where mayo is ASSUMED?