movie - Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

KKBlue

Re: movie - Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2

Post by KKBlue »

hepcat wrote:It's Star Wars for a new generation.
With our generation's music!
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Our plans are to see it anywhere from the 10th to the 15th. Should be a little thinner then and my birthday is the 9th so it works out.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Thanks to that wonderful technology that is reserved seating in some very nice fancy reclining seats my daughter and I are seeing this Sat early evening. We're pretty excited!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

$iljanus wrote:Thanks to that wonderful technology that is reserved seating in some very nice fancy reclining seats my daughter and I are seeing this Sat early evening. We're pretty excited!
Reserved seating was a very much needed and smart move on theatre owners part. I quit going to theatres that do not have reserved seating. Fortunately I have several near me to choose from. I am all set for Friday night. Looking forward to this as I loved the first one. I think Hepcat has it right, GOTG is this generation's Star Wars.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

rshetts2 wrote:
$iljanus wrote:Thanks to that wonderful technology that is reserved seating in some very nice fancy reclining seats my daughter and I are seeing this Sat early evening. We're pretty excited!
Reserved seating was a very much needed and smart move on theatre owners part. I quit going to theatres that do not have reserved seating. Fortunately I have several near me to choose from. I am all set for Friday night. Looking forward to this as I loved the first one. I think Hepcat has it right, GOTG is this generation's Star Wars.
There are two old style theaters where I'll buy my tickets at a box office but for the new releases or movies that look better on the big screen the only line I'm waiting on is the popcorn line. That Hepcat is right too. Perhaps optional pants wearing makes you wise... :lol:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm going to pay your daughter off in cookies, put on a dress and wig, and take her place Saturday. Hopefully the beard won't tip you off.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote:
I'm going to pay your daughter off in cookies, put on a dress and wig, and take her place Saturday. Hopefully the beard won't tip you off.
My daughter is a gymnast so it's yoga pants for you my friend. But she may entertain your offer of cookies. Throw in a baby Groot action figure as well.
Black lives matter!

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: It's Star Wars for a new generation.
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

First thought was Ice Pirates.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Offspring #2 has a hockey tournament this weekend, so we had to wait until Sunday evening. Tickets purchased :)
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Have plans to see it next Tuesday on my birthday. Right now Im planning to see it on the mega screen. I cant remember if we saw the first one in 2D or 3D. They are saying online 3D is great and they filmed with it in mind. Tempting. They even say its bright which is my number one peeve of #d. But still thinking mega screen is the way to go.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

IMAX tickets for Saturday afternoon at 12:30. Can't wait!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Reserved seat tickets for the 6:00 Sunday showing.

Man, I love reserved seats...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Brian

Post by Brian »

Yeah, we have seats for a Sunday matinee at the Alamo Drafthouse.

Mom is coming with us so that means we have to keep the number of stairs to a minimum so being able to buy seats in a row with no steps is a definite plus.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just watched it. That's a good twist in the middle. Yes, Starlord found his father, and a whole slew of problems.

This movie is all about relationships.
Spoiler:
Starlord and his biological father, and his daddy "Yondu" (the blue guy), as well as Gamora and Nebula (who plays a significant role here). And let's just say someone really significant will die in the movie.
And there are several big guest stars playing Ravager faction leaders. As for who, I'm not saying, but you'll recognize them when you see them.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Sat May 06, 2017 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Could you please not post plot elements in unspoilered text on opening weekend?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yes, please be careful. While it may seem vague enough to you, you are giving away plot points most of us would prefer not to know going in.
He won. Period.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, poor form, KC.

Saw it last night. Spoiler-free review: it's good. Also, buy the soundtrack.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Gee, guys... Apparently I wasn't vague enough? Alright, alright. Spoilered it is.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
DD*

Post by DD* »

Kasey Chang wrote:Gee, guys... Apparently I wasn't vague enough? Alright, alright. Spoilered it is.
Kids these days! Use the blankety-blank spoiler tags, that's what they are there for! And get off my lawn!

Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Saw it. Really enjoyed it. As for the whole "is it better than the first" question, my answer is that I enjoyed it exactly as much. It felt completely on par to me. Some really great visual and emotional moments.

I am super curious about
Spoiler:
what the 300 songs on Yondu's Zune are! The Zune came out in 2006 so that opens up a lot of possibility. Also, wonder if he has mixes on there specifically for Peter.
One minor disappointment:
Spoiler:
Really wanted to see Mantis fighting. She's supposed to be a kick-ass martial artist.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I saw it last nite as well. A very fun movie. Not as good as the first but then its almost impossible to duplicate the first impression effect in a sequel. I did feel they sacrificed some of the rolliking good fun on the ten ton sledge they hit us with called relationships. Also one of the funniest bits in the movie was a in credit clip with Groot.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

rshetts2 wrote:I saw it last nite as well. A very fun movie. Not as good as the first but then its almost impossible to duplicate the first impression effect in a sequel. I did feel they sacrificed some of the rolliking good fun on the ten ton sledge they hit us with called relationships. Also one of the funniest bits in the movie was a in credit clip with Groot.
I think I liked it better than the first. I think it depends on your view of the character development. Neither villain really stole the show in either movie however. To really elevate the series they are going to need a truly classic villain who can grab the screen, thus far they've been pretty mediocre.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just saw it! My 13 y.o. is seeing it with a birthday party gang later today, so I took the 10 y.o. and we saw it together.

No spoilers: It's great fun, but I liked the first one better. There's nothing wrong here, but it just couldn't surprise and delight as much as the original. We already knew everyone, and we've seen this style of action, so it was more about strapping in for a delightful ride than expecting anything new.

There was some good character development, though, and I was never once bored. It's just that this story and this world doesn't lend itself to a truly transformative, story-deepening sequel like The Empire Strikes Back.

I had entirely forgotten (if I ever knew) about the actor playing the most significant new character, so it was very cool to realize that he was involved in a big way.

Mild spoiler:
Spoiler:
Was that a CGI young Kurt Russell in the 1980 scenes?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Holman wrote:Just saw it! My 13 y.o. is seeing it with a birthday party gang later today, so I took the 10 y.o. and we saw it together.

No spoilers: It's great fun, but I liked the first one better. There's nothing wrong here, but it just couldn't surprise and delight as much as the original. We already knew everyone, and we've seen this style of action, so it was more about strapping in for a delightful ride than expecting anything new.

There was some good character development, though, and I was never once bored. It's just that this story and this world doesn't lend itself to a truly transformative, story-deepening sequel like The Empire Strikes Back.

I had entirely forgotten (if I ever knew) about the actor playing the most significant new character, so it was very cool to realize that he was involved in a big way.

Mild spoiler:
Spoiler:
Was that a CGI young Kurt Russell in the 1980 scenes?
I can't 100% confirm it as I can not find the article I read but I believe that was done with makeup and practical effects. Not CGI.

And your opinions on the movie pretty much mirror mine.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I got roped into seeing it again later tonight, this time in 3D.

I think Holman's description is accurate. I think this movie is probably as good as the first, and it definitely has better character development. It's just not able to be as surprisingly fresh since we come in knowing the gang.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This saw it this afternoon and absolutely loved it. I liked the first one (a lot) but I loved this one. It was just so fun (and funny). One of my favorite MCU movies.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Brian

Post by Brian »

I agree. I liked this one much more than the first one.

Dave Bautista took this movie, stuck it in his pocket and walked away with it.
Nobody dared to stop him.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Just got back...

As far as sequels go, I'm not sure I could have asked for anything more. Bigger, badder, more explosions. When we got out I told my wife I felt like I had just run a marathon. There's a LOT of stuff packed into this movie.

I have to say on first impression I liked it better than the first as well. We'll see if that holds up on a repeat viewing, but I really loved how much heart they infused in a movie which was wall to wall spectacle.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the 3D is really fantastic for a post-conversion. Apparently James Gunn oversaw the conversion, so it's very crisp with a ton of depth and not used to excess in places where it doesn't need to be. I typically stay away from 3D whenever possible, but I didn't regret chancing it this time.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

Brian wrote:I agree. I liked this one much more than the first one.

Dave Bautista took this movie, stuck it in his pocket and walked away with it.
Nobody dared to stop him.
Yep. I really enjoyed the first one, but this one is just over the top great. Some great character development, the soundtrack is amazing, and it's really funny. It's probably my favorite film in the MCU, actually. I'll have to watch it a couple more times to be sure of that, but that was my first impression.

The thing I enjoy most about the Guardians films is that they just look like a comic book on-screen. The rest of the Marvel films tend to look like action movies with comic book heroes in them. Guardians looks like a comic book come to life with the bright colors, framing of the shots, and just the all around feel. That makes these films so much more fun, IMO, then the other Marvel movies (which I do enjoy).

Best part of the movie?
Spoiler:
Baby Groot bringing a variety of items back, climaxing with a big toe
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I liked it. I found some of the cgi distracting at times though... but I have that "problem" with most Marvel movies. If you liked the first one I see no reason why you wouldn't like this one.
Holman

Post by Holman »

We're going to be in two camps on this one:

1) Vol 2 is great but Vol 1 was greater!
2) Vol 1 was great but Vol 2 is greater!

There's no possible reconciliation here. Let's just make it trash-talk and element guns at dawn.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I am Groot.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Saw the movie in IMAX 3D yesterday afternoon. I absolutely loved it. I'm not interested in ranking this movie compared to the first one. I'll just say that Volume 2 made me laugh harder and brought me closer to tears than Volume 1. You'll probably need to see Volume 1 before you see this movie. It relies heavily on the relationships established in the original movie.
Spoiler:
The opening credits with Baby Groot dancing was incredible. Besides being hilarious, I loved how there is a huge massive fight just out of focus, and as the viewer all I cared about was Groot dancing. It brought a smile to my face, which stayed there until the emotional twists late in the movie.

Somebody mentioned that this is truly a comic book brought to life. I mentioned the same thing to my wife while we were driving home. There are so many aspects of the comics that I read and just assume can never be brought to the big screen, but this series constantly surprises me. First, the idea of a Guardians movie in the first place, with a talking raccoon. But this one had Rocket's jet packs, and Ego the friggin living planet, in all of his comic book glory.
The weakest part of the film were the end credit scenes, which didn't add much.
Spoiler:
That doesn't mean there wasn't anything cool there. Drax screaming after getting hit with the arrow was hilarious. Teenage Groot was amusing. The Adam Warlock tease was cool. Stan Lee with the Watcher's was a nice nod to the internet fanboys who have been theorizing that Stan has been a Watcher in these movies.

Were the group of Ravager leaders led by Sylvester Stallone at the end supposed to be the original Guardians of the Galaxy from the comics? I didn't recognize them at all. I know Yondu was an original member, but he was all red back then and there was an all-red alien in that group.
I would go see it in theaters again, but there are too many movies coming out this summer. My budget couldn't handle an extra viewing.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Officially, Stallone is playing...
Spoiler:
Stakar Osgord.

The "black lady" is Aleta Ogord (Is that Michelle Yeoh?)

The "big guy" is supposed to be Charlie-27

The speaking robot head is Mainframe

And the alien is Krugarr.
EDIT: Guys, they didn't *do* anything in the movie that's character specific.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Sun May 07, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish I hadn't read that :(

So is 3D special? Plan is to see Mega Screen this time. Tired of dim movies.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kasey Chang wrote:Stuff.
Do you just have a hatred of using spoiler tags? Perhaps a psychological aversion to them? :P

Anyway, broke my rule and saw it on opening weekend. Just got back. Overall I loved it. It made me laugh out loud many times. And I was pleasantly surprised to find out what I thought was going to be the focus of the story was not.

Thoughts:
Spoiler:
Adam warlock? Yes, please. I mentioned it before, but I loved that comic when I was a kid. I didn't make the connection with the golden video gamers until that end scene, so it ended up a "oh, I saw what you did there" moment for me.

The funeral seemed to run a bit long, and came across as a bit too manipulative. But that's probably just me. Plus, even though I'm a Rooker fan, I can't help but see him as Henry from Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer whenever he tries to be nice.

John frickin' Crichton!
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

He's always Merle to me!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Daehawk wrote:I wish I hadn't read that :(

So is 3D special? Plan is to see Mega Screen this time. Tired of dim movies.
I saw it in 3D and regular, and thought the 3D was well-done.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I just realized something about the plot.
Spoiler:
It's the same plot as every Star Wars movie. The main bad is the father and the hero has to destroy a planet/moon sized doomsday weapon. :)